Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh hey there's a thread for this cool series.

I lol'ed IRL at the "Professor Layton" reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Layton even scoffs at it like he gets the joke, which I loved.

I know plenty of folks often don't care about sci-fi logistics but the fact that Big Alice, once used to push the train, is now at the head of the train means that at some point they had to either shoot the 1k long train ahead on its own while the engine took a shortcut to get back into the lead or they straight up stopped the train, leaving everyone absolutely frozen more than it already is, to pull the engine up ahead. I kinda wish they would've made an episode about that whole process but, eh, I guess we'll just say "nothing of consequence happened so it didn't matter."

I don't think they changed anything?

Ruth is now holed up in what used to be first class, which is completely frozen over now, and all the way in the "back" of the train, as far away from Big Alice and Wilford's place as it gets. So Big Alice is still where it was, which must be slightly awkward because to get anywhere in the Snowpiercer cars they have to go through what used to be the tail.

What I don't know if is the train is going forward now, that is Big Alice started pulling as soon as Snowpiercer went its own way, or they kept the entire thing in reverse for all that time. Which seems kinda dangerous because the engineer can't see as well what's ahead in that case.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

S2 is good cuz it has Sean Bean.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As for flu, I think it is possible for viruses to be dormant in someone's cells for many years, and then 'wake up' and mutate so that the host doesn't have immunity and neither does anyone else. I think this is more common for viruses that inject their DNA into a host cell's nucleus such as HIV (because DNA can stick around a long time) but perhaps it's possible for flu too.

OldMemes posted:

In theory, with a geothermal power source, could a bunker survive in the freeze?

Instead of directly answering that question I suggest you read the short story "A pail of air" by Fritz Leiber. You can read it for free here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/51461/51461-h/51461-h.htm

It's fiction so it isn't much of a scientific answer but I always found that story some nice food for thought.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Scrotum Modem posted:

It looked like some explosion in the air but then they specially show pieces of a rocket falling back down. Sort of reminds me of pieces of thruster rockets for a shuttle launch that fall back to Earth - obviously a smaller version of the real thing - but it doesn't really look like anything went further up because of it so it probably wasn't. Who knows. I'm probably 100% way off heh. Perhaps there's another group of survivors involved with it and this has something to do with it:

My assumption for that scene was Wilford took his li'l vehicle to some storage shack of his, grabbed some rockets, and used it to blow up a piece of track in order to divert Snowpiercer to some place where he can sneak aboard to take over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nice. I was quite annoyed by it being left as an unfinished story.