Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

As monopolies and monopsonies go, Steam is probably one of the least pernicious one I've ever seen.

Yeah, they alright, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the poop wishcasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9aa88x3DBQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://ew.com/the-last-of-us-part-2-fan-reactions-neil-druckmann-remaster-8406515

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQaceGrFIok

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
That looks pretty rad. Imagine if they did some sorta multiplayer thing with tlou2. They could even call it factions 2 after the multiplayer from the first tlou.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

dog nougat posted:

That looks pretty rad. Imagine if they did some sorta multiplayer thing with tlou2. They could even call it factions 2 after the multiplayer from the first tlou.

I am going to grit my teeth down to nubs as I play this mode for many hours

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dog nougat posted:

:rolleyes:

what are you talking about? naughfty dog doesn't do multiplayer!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Getting to play as Lev and going around sniping with his bow is going to kick so much rear end.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2ninklzFc

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Hope you got :10bux:

(I do. I buy this)

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

hell yeah :hehe:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm legit curious if this is a soft-launch scenario of Factions II, like if the stuff you unlock here will be transferable to the multiplayer game in addition to them using player data to tune gaas aspects. Or maybe it's just a basic value add after all.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm legit curious if this is a soft-launch scenario of Factions II, like if the stuff you unlock here will be transferable to the multiplayer game in addition to them using player data to tune gaas aspects. Or maybe it's just a basic value add after all.

Seems very Naughty Dog co-opy, so it's probably the remnants of MP that they could gleam out and make solo to add upgrade value to a game that is almost impossible to identify disparity from the original.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

2025 for season 2

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-last-of-us-season-two-now-confirmed-for-2025-release

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
wonder how they're gonna plan the pc release of tlou2 in light of the next season

... sure would be nice with a multiplayer game to fill the void between the two seasons!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
can’t wait for the show to get remastered

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Hopefully season 2 has factions included. A glaring omission for season 1 tbh. Not nearly enough molotov bullshit, enforcer spam, or nail bombs.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's dead:

Naughty Dog posted:

AN UPDATE ON THE LAST OF US ONLINE

We realize many of you have been anticipating news around the project that we've been calling The Last of Us Online. There's no easy way to say this: We've made the incredibly difficult decision to stop development on that game.

We know this news will be tough for many, especially our dedicated The Last of Us Factions community, who have been following our multiplayer ambitions ardently. We're equally crushed at the studio as we were looking forward to putting it in your hands. We wanted to share with you some background of how we came to this decision.

The multiplayer team has been in pre-production with this game since we were working on The Last of Us Part II – crafting an experience we felt was unique and had tremendous potential. As the multiplayer team iterated on their concept for The Last of Us Online during this time, their vision crystalized, the gameplay got more refined and satisfying, and we were enthusiastic about the direction in which we were headed.

In ramping up to full production, the massive scope of our ambition became clear. To release and support The Last of Us Online we'd have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog's heritage.
We are immensely proud of everyone at the studio that touched this project. The learnings and investments in technology from this game will carry into how we develop our projects and will be invaluable in the direction we are headed as a studio. We have more than one ambitious, brand new single player game that we're working on here at Naughty Dog, and we cannot wait to share more about what comes next when we're ready.

Until then, we're incredibly thankful to our community for your support throughout the years.

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/an_update_on_the_last_of_us_online

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

and there it is

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Time to close this thread and execute the suicide pact! Everyone got your cyanide pills?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

welp, i'll keep the thread up for a little while so people can get their Factions ducks in a row and talk about No Return. no more OP updates after Jan 19

stay safe Dr Pooplove :gbsmith:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Someone’s gonna make an indie copy of Factions one day.

One day. I have around £13 to help fund development

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I hear Fntastic is looking for a capital injection

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
so what custom fortnite map are we making for the factions goons to rally around folks

kliras fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 15, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The dream lives on in our hearts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's been fun, y'all. Really. You are the best group of folks I've found via internet gaming. I encourage people to keep on the lookout for other games that might be a good fit for our collective personality, but ya know, I also think it's fine to admit that everything has endpoint, too. If we move on to something else I hope it's an organic process just as Factions has been all these years, and not some forced placeholder out of desperation to fill the vacuum with whatever game comes to mind. But anyways, tlousdays got me through a rough patch back there and also helped ease the lockdown woes, and I know that's true for some of you as well. Much respect for keeping the fire going even through stormy nights.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

It’d be worth doing some good old fashioned research to find another game we’d all actually like, and isn’t costly (and potentially holds bigger groups). Doesn’t have to be forced or be a total replacement of Tlousday. :nsa:

But it is a little grim out there. There are some classics but most aren’t on console and lack that tactical quality.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Not a lot of games support private lobbies anymore, and I know private games were just something we accepted at the time because multiplayer was dead but it has become a rather nice feature to have.

Personally, the next big multiplayer game on my horizons is Monster Hunter Wilds

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
I haven't been into factions but I really hope some of the designs make it onto Artstation or something. The art & level design of these games was always the coolest part

EDIT: From resetera

FalconImpala fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 15, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ow. That hurts

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
The battle pass, seasons, battle royale stuff definitely rubs me the wrong way. Like it's chasing a trend that ended 5 years ago. I guess a "normal" multiplayer game can't exist anymore, it has to have engagement loops & content calendar & be a massive success

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Druckmann needs to step down imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone get a Switch and we can get some private Splatoon matches going on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm too busy playing Foamstars

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:rip:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Why does the universe hate tactical shooters

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Naughty Dog posted:

To release and support The Last of Us Online we'd have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come

Naughty Dog posted:

So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio
yeah so...they actually wouldn't have needed to do either of these things.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Not a lot of games support private lobbies anymore, and I know private games were just something we accepted at the time because multiplayer was dead but it has become a rather nice feature to have.

Personally, the next big multiplayer game on my horizons is Monster Hunter Wilds

GTA online does private lobbies. It'll be free on PS Plus soon...

at least it might be funny?

:smith:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

:( What on earth? So they are just chucking years of work away? Why not just stick it into TLOUII remastered when the second series drops and ignore it like they have factions all this time?

Or maybe hire more people to look after it and expand a bit? Gotta spend money to make money.

What a sad outcome :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

:( What on earth? So they are just chucking years of work away? Why not just stick it into TLOUII remastered when the second series drops and ignore it like they have factions all this time?

Or maybe hire more people to look after it and expand a bit? Gotta spend money to make money.

What a sad outcome :(

My ultimate feeling is that it has a lot to do with the internal tructure of ND itself and the way the studio allows top down creative decision making to interface with Sony corporate's wish for AAA material. Druckmann is not a fan of Factions, he sees it as a thing that does not fit his vision of TLOU being respectable/prestige 'award-winning' dramtic material, hence the move to separate Factions from 2LOU and the pt 1 remake. It could've been added at any time with a smaller scope, instead Factions was siloed off again and again for more than half a decade and given the behind the scenes mission to continually increase scope and ambition, to become a huge live service phenomenon or an ambitious story-like experience that would justify a prestige entry price. Now the closest we will ever get to seeing what might've been is No Return mode, a concession prize for cancelling Factions II, and Druckmann gets to pretend like 2LOU being the first Naughty Dog game to ship without multiplayer since 2009 is actually a return to the studio's roots or some bullshit like that. They've continually been actively removing or passively allowing removal of multiplayer content from remasters of ND titles since 2015 when Hennig was forced out. It's revisionist first and foremost. It's also extremely bad leadership, and the culmination of half a decade's worth of gently caress You to the fans who came up with them. So yeah, speaking as someone who's first PlayStation game was a Naughty Dog title in 1996, and who was there Day 1 playing UC2 and its fantastic multiplayer in 2009, there's a lot to be bitter about after the last 5 years. I encourage everyone to keep this utter shitshow front and center in their mind the next time ND announces a 'culturally defining' single-player title.