Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My ultimate feeling is that it has a lot to do with the internal tructure of ND itself and the way the studio allows top down creative decision making to interface with Sony corporate's wish for AAA material. Druckmann is not a fan of Factions, he sees it as a thing that does not fit his vision of TLOU being respectable/prestige 'award-winning' dramtic material, hence the move to separate Factions from 2LOU and the pt 1 remake. It could've been added at any time with a smaller scope, instead Factions was siloed off again and again for more than half a decade and given the behind the scenes mission to continually increase scope and ambition, to become a huge live service phenomenon or an ambitious story-like experience that would justify a prestige entry price. Now the closest we will ever get to seeing what might've been is No Return mode, a concession prize for cancelling Factions II, and Druckmann gets to pretend like 2LOU being the first Naughty Dog game to ship without multiplayer since 2009 is actually a return to the studio's roots or some bullshit like that. They've continually been actively removing or passively allowing removal of multiplayer content from remasters of ND titles since 2015 when Hennig was forced out. It's revisionist first and foremost. It's also extremely bad leadership, and the culmination of half a decade's worth of gently caress You to the fans who came up with them. So yeah, speaking as someone who's first PlayStation game was a Naughty Dog title in 1996, and who was there Day 1 playing UC2 and its fantastic multiplayer in 2009, there's a lot to be bitter about after the last 5 years. I encourage everyone to keep this utter shitshow front and center in their mind the next time ND announces a 'culturally defining' single-player title.

Dreckmann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
This has also reminded me I don't like any Naughty Dog games except TLOU lol. To be fair they have only like 3 franchises

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Uncharted...eh, you had to be there. Sure those games just look like schlock nowadays (I'd argue that they actually come off worse in isolation as pure singleplayer story experiences minus the multi as they eventually did with Nathan Drake Collection and Legacy of Thieves Collection, partially because the multiplayer added humorous context and helped flesh out the experience on a technical level) ...there was nothing like UC2 at the time. In 2009 it was unreal to have a PS3 game check so many boxes at the same time, and the UC3 multi got even more ambitious in some ways.

edit; That said, even Jak X Combat Racing fuckin owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4bld_YfG8

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 15, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Aipsh posted:

This has also reminded me I don't like any Naughty Dog games except TLOU lol. To be fair they have only like 3 franchises

I don't even like TLOU, I only liked Factions, at least I did until everyone got way better at it than me. But I was really looking forward to Factions 2 to try to jump back into it :( :( :(

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Aipsh posted:

i could not tell you the plot of a single uncharted game for the life of me

they're just fun graphics showcases for me (with some very annoying motion blur on camera pan)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

:hai: I get this. It is a real shame as I have not really seen a multiplayer game work as well as factions does to try and balance games between teams. It is kind of wild how it knows to drop stuff and respawn stuff when it does and make matches feel tense.

fridge corn posted:

I don't even like TLOU, I only liked Factions, at least I did until everyone got way better at it than me. But I was really looking forward to Factions 2 to try to jump back into it :( :( :(

I struggled to keep up with everyone as well. They are just so great at it and I never felt like I was improving so I kind of took a backseat to it, which I feel bad about, but going around feeling like deadweight is not fun.

I know no one here would get upset about that or think I am deadweight, but the games when I would go 0 downs, 0 executes, 6 deaths and have no parts would just make me grimace.

I was hoping for a 2 so I could start fresh as well - and even play in my own time but when I tried that there were so many people who had done nothing but play that my scores were even worse against random folks.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

:hai: I get this. It is a real shame as I have not really seen a multiplayer game work as well as factions does to try and balance games between teams. It is kind of wild how it knows to drop stuff and respawn stuff when it does and make matches feel tense.

I struggled to keep up with everyone as well. They are just so great at it and I never felt like I was improving so I kind of took a backseat to it, which I feel bad about, but going around feeling like deadweight is not fun.

I know no one here would get upset about that or think I am deadweight, but the games when I would go 0 downs, 0 executes, 6 deaths and have no parts would just make me grimace.

I was hoping for a 2 so I could start fresh as well - and even play in my own time but when I tried that there were so many people who had done nothing but play that my scores were even worse against random folks.

He says this then gets five 360 no scopes on me in a row

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I was hoping for a 2 so I could start fresh as well

Now you will never get that time back! :blastu:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Aipsh posted:

It’d be worth doing some good old fashioned research to find another game we’d all actually like, and isn’t costly (and potentially holds bigger groups). Doesn’t have to be forced or be a total replacement of Tlousday. :nsa:

But it is a little grim out there. There are some classics but most aren’t on console and lack that tactical quality.

Helldivers 2

Edit:

Will 40k Space Marine 2 have multiplayer like the first one did? It fuckin ruled, not really factions adjacent though.

Edit 2:

4v4 rocket league matches

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 15, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Uncharted...eh, you had to be there. Sure those games just look like schlock nowadays (I'd argue that they actually come off worse in isolation as pure singleplayer story experiences minus the multi as they eventually did with Nathan Drake Collection and Legacy of Thieves Collection, partially because the multiplayer added humorous context and helped flesh out the experience on a technical level) ...there was nothing like UC2 at the time. In 2009 it was unreal to have a PS3 game check so many boxes at the same time, and the UC3 multi got even more ambitious in some ways.

edit; That said, even Jak X Combat Racing fuckin owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4bld_YfG8

Are you talking about visuals only? Uncharted series is one of the best. Literally none of the games are bad and they are all pretty consistent with their quality levels. Uncharted 3's multiplayer was so fun back in the day.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody was asking them to make a loving live service game, we just wanted a new Factions. Jesus Christ that’s disappointing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the whole live service thing is confusing me. Who wanted that? People just wanted an update to their cool little side multiplayer thing

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a multiplayer only game that receives no support? Also how come Valheim has 5 developers and they manage to push out content. It's absolutely ridiculous to think that ND couldn't have a skeleton crew releasing small patches/updates on it or Sony outsourcing to a multiplayer studio.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

AndrewP posted:

Nobody was asking them to make a loving live service game, we just wanted a new Factions. Jesus Christ that’s disappointing

Exactly. They are unable to produce content at a scale that no one was asking/expected. Just either druckman hates it as stated as it’s some form of inferior art form, or it was just too big of a project because of his ego. Either way, maybe someone will copy the gameplay and update graphics/maps or something. Seems like this is bigger news in the media than I expected.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

AndrewP posted:

“We want Factions in the new engine”

Druckmann: “What’s that? A fully fledged GaaS nightmare with a battlepass and eternal content churn and years of constant updates? That’d ruin our prestige brand!”

That’s how it’s gone in my head

It’s also reminding me of that Duff Zero bit in the Simpsons

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah the whole live service thing is confusing me. Who wanted that? People just wanted an update to their cool little side multiplayer thing
the best thing about the idea of tlou online was the idea of remasters not splitting the player base for once

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/drpooplove/status/1735495681782013993#m

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ulio posted:

Is there a multiplayer only game that receives no support? Also how come Valheim has 5 developers and they manage to push out content. It's absolutely ridiculous to think that ND couldn't have a skeleton crew releasing small patches/updates on it or Sony outsourcing to a multiplayer studio.

They couldn't spare a single loving dime to patch issues in Factions after 2016, should tell you who was calling the shots on this poo poo because despite people at the studio being passionate about the mode (ie Vinit Agarwal) the community always got the loving shaft on balance fixes and level glitches while updates were STILL being put out for the single player in 2020.

The line about "we're so bummed we had to make this hard decision" being written in the collective studio letter voice is absolute bullshit. I'd like to hear from actual people who were developing the multi on what they think of this shitshow, because there is simply no evidence that the outcome has been the product of anything but leadership apathy. Every hour that goes by I get more pissed about this. Absolutely gently caress the executive leadership at that studio. Same with Bungie's entire c-suite.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

They couldn't spare a single loving dime to patch issues in Factions after 2016, should tell you who was calling the shots on this poo poo because despite people at the studio being passionate about the mode (ie Vinit Agarwal) the community always got the loving shaft on balance fixes and level glitches while updates were STILL being put out for the single player in 2020.

The line about "we're so bummed we had to make this hard decision" being written in the collective studio letter voice is absolute bullshit. I'd like to hear from actual people who were developing the multi on what they think of this shitshow, because there is simply no evidence that the outcome has been the product of anything but leadership apathy. Every hour that goes by I get more pissed about this. Absolutely gently caress the executive leadership at that studio. Same with Bungie's entire c-suite.

Ya 100% agree, I just see them making excuses, with how far along this was, it couldn't have been as bad to put this and run a few server. Give it a few months of support but I guess we will have to do the with re re remake of last of us 1 in 2025.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

fridge corn posted:

VideoGames posted:

Come back! Me and Beeps are still terrible, I swear

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

she lies.

for 10 years i devoted myself to training, but mega hid the manual's true meaning from me. i never improved, but her progress was limitless...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've been playing rough lately too. A freakishly good Irish player has been showing up regularly but he's hell on everyone. Our constant heaping of verbal abuse upon him after getting snap rifle headshotted has strengthened the group's bond through shared catharsis.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Come back! Me and Beeps are still terrible, I swear

Hmm seems sus *hears faint creaking of a bow being drawn*

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's fine, she tends to use the silenced variable rifle or semi auto now instead.

Let it be known that all guns in factions are bullshit garbage op pieces of poo poo any time I'm killed by them.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Last of Us: Fictions 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oof

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

acksplode posted:

I've been playing rough lately too. A freakishly good Irish player has been showing up regularly but he's hell on everyone. Our constant heaping of verbal abuse upon him after getting snap rifle headshotted has strengthened the group's bond through shared catharsis.

seedge bringing that ringer in was what made me stop playing :cry:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I could just about handle the incessant “HEY BUDDY” but then adding in one or two extra people who were that same level of good was a bit much for me. I was also looking forward to starting from scratch with a new game. This is such a goddamn shame.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just join early before he gets a slot.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I liked being the annoying new upstart with the rifle getting sick headshots but I just stopped using it when Matt turned up lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sad poop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdVqB2JYv0Y

he's right. the statement given and reasons provided are absolute bullshit. gently caress Naughty Dog leadership in the face. they should quit or be canned.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

what misery

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Got 14 minutes of your life that you can't fill by playing Tourism with pubbies? Have Tourism, on me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiX0TGy5LQg

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Hell yeah, finally some content

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most annoying op weapon in gaming history. Not even pubbies dare use it, lest ye be shamed. Seedge tho...

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

Most annoying op weapon in gaming history. Not even pubbies dare use it, lest ye be shamed. Seedge tho...

Honour died on the beach.

- Jin Sakai

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Seedge I think you have my mic volume turned down, that clip didn't quite catch my outrage at watching my backup get gunned down with the coward's purchasable.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Did anyone here ever play the multiplayer for Metal Gear Solid 5? I played a few matches yeeears ago and I remember it being...actually quite fun. I think with the movement set it's probably the closest thing we'll ever get to Factions 2. If the servers are still online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For anyone interested, my take on a maybe 45 minutes of no return/ Remastered

veni veni veni posted:

hosed around in No Return a bit. Seems fun but not mind blowing. I am 90% sure these areas were at one point Factions maps, because they really seem designed just like them. It honestly stings a bit, like "hey we never gave you what we promised but here's some slop pieced together from the remains. I dunno. And the fact that they feel like factions maps is also sort of the problem. I thought you were actually going to be able to progress through areas from the game in a more gameified way, but it's just little arenas that feel like multiplayer maps with waves of enemies. That said, it scratches that Resident Evil Mercenaries itch enough that I'll get my $10 worth for sure.

I also briefly played the main game in performance mode (fidelity is still 30fps lol) and It looks great but, so did the PS4 game. I see no discernable difference tbh. I dunno maybe fidelity is better but I couldn't tell you the difference from the PS4>PS5 patch from a couple of years ago if you put a gun to my head. at least in performance . The haptics are a nice addition to finally have though, and it seems like they did a good job with them. Honeslty if I replay the whole game that'll be the big selling point to me. I was wondering how they'd actually improve on TLOU2s visuals and the answer was they didn't. It's not really a surprise or even a dissapointment. Really glad they actually put some new content in cause I don't think this would be worth $10 otherwise.

Also, man. After playing a ton of TLOU 1 online lately TLOU2 feels glacial. You move sooo much slower, the camera is slower. It's not worse but different I guess. I feel like I'm walking in mud all the time.