Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Should have done a demaster and given us a PS2 version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

they have a steelbook version coming out with a deck of 42 superhero cards from the game

but the edition is named after the WLF fascists :sigh:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It would be cool to play this at 4k 60fps, but I cannot for the life of me see a difference in the textures

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I wanna punch things as Abby in the new roguelike mode. Sounds like a good time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So now that there's a new version of Last of Us 2 coming out do we need to re litigate Neil Druckman being a zionist again or whatever the talking point was when the game came out?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

it looks exactly the same and trying to resell a 3 year old game is brazen. i mean you can barely even improve on the graphics of last of us 2 imo. we've reached that point.

but on the other hand, they must know that because they've sweetened the deal with a bunch of new gameplay and it looks like something i'd actually enjoy

so i'll get this eventually for sure, when it is cheap.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

oh, it's a $10 upgrade if you bought it on ps4 apparently

acksplode
May 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

oh, it's a $10 upgrade if you bought it on ps4 apparently

I felt the same way until they dropped that news lol. It's unexpected and I feel like it was meant to preempt exactly that criticism, since Pt 1 already caught a lot of flak though it was a much more significant upgrade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tlou part 1 was a weird scenario cause they put a ton of work into getting it to look as good as part 2, so I get why it wasn’t just an upgrade but charging $70 was just brazenly lovely. I think it was mostly controversial cause tlou didn’t really need a remake in the first place.

If they did it with pt 2 it would have been infuriating, because it’s just bringing a game that should already have a pS5 version into current gen. $10 with extra content is actually super fair and they made the right move. I’m actually a bit shocked with the way Sony has been lately.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

So now that there's a new version of Last of Us 2 coming out do we need to re litigate Neil Druckman being a zionist again or whatever the talking point was when the game came out?

previous page

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

In all seriousness while I will probably pay the 10bux to muck around with the remaster I would feel weird about having the physical IDF analogue edition military patch included

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In all seriousness while I will probably pay the 10bux to muck around with the remaster I would feel weird about having the physical IDF analogue edition military patch included

:same:

the WLF edition is tonedeaf

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWfP3nIom0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://mp1st.com/news/report-the-last-of-us-2-remastered-no-return-mode-will-feature-at-least-12-levels

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gaming media absolutely grasping at straws to generate a controversy out of Part II Remastered. clickbait flooding out about 'is it worth it'

worth what? ten dollars?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gaming media absolutely grasping at straws to generate a controversy out of Part II Remastered. clickbait flooding out about 'is it worth it'

worth what? ten dollars?

If you don’t have tlou2 then yes I can confirm it is definitely worth ten dollars

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I mean, the rerelease is def gonna serve to keep the price of the PS4 version from bottoming out, but there were moments in the last 12 months where I saw 2LOU on sale for under 20 dollars new, both physical and digital and that was kind of wild to me.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If they hadn't advertised it as a "Remaster" and just sold it on the Roguelite mode, deleted scenes etc it'd be much more warmly received I think.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Valve just made a significant update to a video game from 1998 at no extra cost

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo I just started playing it on steam deck and was bummed that the controls were all hosed up. What a great time for that to drop

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Valve just made a significant update to a video game from 1998 at no extra cost

Valve has infinite money and available man hours from owning a video game distribution monopoly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Valve doesn't have a Monopoly on PC gaming wtf are you talking about. Being more popular than the competition that offers the exact same thing, because people like your product more isn't a monopoly.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Okay an effective monopoly then

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd be extremely surprised if updating a 25 year old game and restoring cut content is more expensive and labour intensive than what they're adding to TLOU2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also lmao that a 45mb update to a game from 1998 to make it have good support for modern PCs, controllers, and steam deck somehow takes infinite money and manpower.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I have five different game store apps on my PC

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

5 times the fail hth :smuggo:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
*booting up pc, going abroad on holiday for a month and then returning to see Windows update has completed*

"Good to go"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Veeg still using the PC he bought because a man told him “dude! You’re getting a Dell!”

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I auditioned for the role of the "dude you're gettin a Dell" guy. The audition copy had the word rhododendron in it and I 100% mispronounced it. Obvs didn't get the role :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Veeg still using the PC he bought because a man told him “dude! You’re getting a Dell!”

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Also lmao that a 45mb update to a game from 1998 to make it have good support for modern PCs, controllers, and steam deck somehow takes infinite money and manpower.

I think my point was that they have infinite money and therefor can afford to let people work on things that make zero profit or are simply hobbies, a luxury that most of the industry does not have. Especially resonant in a year where like over 10, 000 industry jobs have been lost.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Factions 2 gonna be at the game of the year awards

I have no source nor evidence.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It'll be featured at the in memoriam segment

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aipsh posted:

Okay an effective monopoly then

gaben is currently being to compelled to testify in person in an antitrust lawsuit against steam, so yeah

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm unclear on what Valve's monopolistic practices are, unless making a non-poo poo storefront and outcompeting everyone is against the fair working of the market or w/e

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

As I understand it the argument is that in the context of having such a large market share, their 30% cut from every game is unreasonable

While there are other storefronts, so much of the market being on steam allows them to charge arguably exorbitant rates, game makers in theory could take their games to other storefronts but it isn't really sustainable to take a game to another storefront instead of steam, you use a huge share of the market that is locked into that ecosystem

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where does that land Sony and MS who take the exact same cut? Afaik 30% is the industry standard. Epic takes less but epic sucks and no one wants to use it.

It’s also one developer not a class action or anything. I’d be surprised if it goes anywhere since it’s gonna be pretty hard to argue Valve actually has a monopoly on PC gaming.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Where does that land Sony and MS who take the exact same cut? Afaik 30% is the industry standard. Epic takes less but epic sucks and no one wants to use it.

It’s also one developer not a class action or anything. I’d be surprised if it goes anywhere since it’s gonna be pretty hard to argue Valve actually has a monopoly on PC gaming.

hard to say that the same paradigm exists for Sony or MS since they both operate functioning profitable storefronts along with Nintendo and sell items physically in stores as well, even if that is rapidly changing. as big of assholes as all those corps are none of them are currently operating a monopoly even if they'd like to. IF Valve've used anticompetitive business practices (in this case the claim has to do with price controls) to maintain an insurmountable lead over competitors (who as we know are continuously operating at a loss lol) then they have an effective monopoly. doj is currently suing google over this in the search biz. but whatev, steam will prolly win the suit anyways because they have more money than god and most antitrust suits in the states are dead in the water because politics is utterly captured by corporate interests. the doj has proven to be largely toothless even in fair weather conditions while people continue to cheer on mass market monopolization and consolidation because they envision at some stage that shiny golden drop of convenience trickling down their quavering gullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
As monopolies and monopsonies go, Steam is probably one of the least pernicious one I've ever seen. It helps that it's privately owned and that there is no need to chase growth via loss leaders to keep outside investors happy (unlike Epic). Sony and Apple and MS are all public and so it really needs to invest in ventures that have a chance of catastrophically failing (just look at Sony trying to chase the Live Service Dragon).

I'd still welcome competition against Steam, it's just that Epic's attempts have been a complete flounder. I'm not like one of those dipshits in the Games Epic thread.