Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Finally got the motivation to sit down and play something for once, and I used the opportunity to make a new robot instead. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Finally got the motivation to sit down and play something for once, and I used the opportunity to make a new robot instead. Ah well.

robots are good, like this one. if only I was any good at games with robots in them.

in the meantime, I should be making numbers go up.

instead, no.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Just do em both at once, it's easy

I might pop back to FF14 eventually, no idea what the new sets look like at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Deep Rock Galactic is an MMO.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dabir posted:

Deep Rock Galactic is an MMO.

These are cool!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

X for Doubt

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've come to make an announcement: Shadow the Hedgehog is a bitch-rear end motherfucker

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pvp set owns

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

blatman posted:

pvp set owns

Yeah it's a good one. Not the sort of look everyone wants to go for, but I like when we get variety that gives people options.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

'tis the season to throw together a quick glam so you don't look underdressed for the quest

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i don't know what i was going for with this outfit but i absolutely nailed it

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Oh what fun it is to sing
a Slaying song tonight

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was digging through the thread to check people's past glamshots but this post gave me a laugh because I was curious about some boring-looking bad or vaporware mmos like Ashes of Creation and stumbled onto this guy in that thread

hobocrunch posted:

I absolutely detest every single "costume" on this last page and honestly if the rest of the thread is full of armor like this we have a huge problem in cosmetics in the industry, like what the actual gently caress is any of that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Which explains this post.

Essentially, just salt that a Japanese mmo with a vibrant and frankly unique aesthetic managed to find success when the games whose aesthetics he prefers are all made by grognards who are as out-of-touch as he is. So out of touch that he's unable to recognize that, actually, not only is FFXIV gorgeous but also that it's not at all indicative of the industry as a whole. Because their art direction, while stellar, is deliberately idiosyncratic to Final Fantasy. Most games would rather prefer to aim for something a more generic but widely appealing. Even other mmos from the Asia market, where what's considered "generic fantasy" there is a fair bit different from what the western market would recognize as such.

And this isn't one of those situations where Josh Strife Hayes complains about cash shops clashing with a game's established aesthetic. It's a common refrain in his mmo videos that those are the death knell of a korean mmo that just doesn't care anymore and just wants to wring some blood from the stone. Every single piece of armor or clothing in FFXIV actually fits in context of the established aesthetic.

This is because FFXIV is a big and eclectic world and one that is rapidly undergoing, essentially, industrialization and modernization due to a number of in-setting reasons. Not only does everything posted in the thread fit, it's plausible. As you move through ARR onwards you see the Eorzean Sackcloth (an aesthetic more suitable for the blander side of the industry I've mentioned above) and Novelty Subligar give way to further refinement and experimentation as the Eorzean city-states reinforce their alliance and trade connections, and begin to incorporate far eastern elements brought over by Doman refugees. In Heavensward, Ishgard opening its borders sees more of their Late Medieval/Early Modern national aesthetic bleeding through while making more baroque and ornate European-esque styling more common, and integrating some of their designs into standard sensibilities throughout Eorzea. Which in a broad sense forms the foundation to justify slowly moving towards more Contemporary Modern designs, as happened in real life. Some design throughlines are even more obvious, like the high-tech magic aesthetic developed first by the long-dead Allagan Empire, then integrated for use by Eorzea's adventurers by Garlond Ironworks in their eponymous IW sets, then further refined by Nero tol Scaeva after he gets hired on and was too much of a big drama queen to let the Ironworks' in-house aesthetic just be "functional." Those all form the basis for the stuff that looks weirdly futuristic as the machining and miniaturization processed developed allows Eorzean clothiers to start integrating that technology in fashion. The more places we go to in FFXIV's expansions the wider the reference pool that fashionmakers can draw from, for purposes stylish, silly, and severe. The incredibly cyberpunk-looking recent pvp reward clothes could only plausibly exist after years of both the baseline fashion culture and the military technology developing to the point where they could justify the existence of those clothes. And both do!

It may not look like it makes sense if you're peeking in without any context and your ideas of what a fantasy mmo should look like are, heavens forbid, New World, but when you play the game and actually get stuck in, it does. Aesthetic elements just start to slowly slip into place. Even ARR, when the game was at its most aesthetically bland (due to a lot of asset reuse from FFXIV 1.X, those dark days when the game actually was headed by a director who was as grognardy as the quoted poster and failed miserably as grognard mmos are wont to do), you could still see some sparks of life there.

Like, obviously the Doylist explanation is that the artists at Square Enix like to have fun with it and they're operating under relatively lax restrictions on their creativity. Unlike, say, how anecdotally, artists who worked on Everquest 2 famously described the experience as soul-crushing. But there's a Watsonian explanation too when you look at what the various armor and clothing pieces are actually called and reading between the lines.

Basically, despite not being much a gpose person myself, I mean to say that FFXIV, aesthetically, is a triumph.

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 20, 2023

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
To be fair I think my shoujo prince glam was messy in retrospect. Needs more dye channels to make it more cohesive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=946rYlYR2lw&t=3502s

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

thats a lot of words

but ive got a robot

edit: and a quick human form outfit i threw together since i was online anyways, gently caress it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
words words words I have a good looking starship.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao you guys don't have to add a preamble about an effortpost being too long, that's genuinely a lot worse than just not mentioning it and posting normally

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s a good post

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mod the poo poo out of ff14, aesthetic coherency be damned

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some FF14 players complain all the time about the "modern" looking glams, but the game is a Final Fantasy theme park so basically anything goes.

Fashion accessories are also important, such as birbs and axes:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Some FF14 players complain all the time about the "modern" looking glams, but the game is a Final Fantasy theme park so basically anything goes.

Fashion accessories are also important, such as birbs and axes:

Even though I don't usually go for them I would much rather have more variety as opposed to "a slightly different looking set of full plate". Tools for the toybox.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bruceski posted:

Even though I don't usually go for them I would much rather have more variety as opposed to "a slightly different looking set of full plate". Tools for the toybox.

What's the saying? Get you someone who can do both?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like "tradtional western fantasy" mmo aesthetics when they're well done. I think DAoC's aesthetic is loving great and would love to see a competent modern take on it.

I also love the poo poo out of FFXIV's aesthetic, it owns hard and there are so many stellar outfits and I can't think of any other game off the top of my head that does the same to the same quality

This thread is full of good characters

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

What's the saying? Get you someone who can do both?

Oh I *can* do both, but only occasionally do I think "I want a modern look." Even when I go weird I usually don't go for street clothes. Current glams notwithstanding (I think only two of these count, though if someone's rocking that second look I want to see them.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sokath, his eyes uncovered.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Here's my Warrior of Light's holiday glam. Caterine Scorpus says Merry Starlight!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Been playing a lot of Star Wars: The Old Republic lately and finished a new look on my main. Keeps striking me as a futuristic wedding dress almost.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
The yin and yang of C. Harlow, warrior of light.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

new year, new hairstyle, new(ish) color palette

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

https://youtu.be/pmFfj6paxJ8?t=104

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The backpack is never coming off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010