Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DC Universe Online

Wall Street "your assets are on ice, because I have ice powers" supervillain theme

Pizza Defender

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I signed up for FFXIV's free trial up to level 35. I paid for a month subscriber version 7 years ago, before they offered the free trial like a chump, so I started over. Here's my Lalafell

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

jjac posted:

Playing FFXIV again, have some big cat pictures

a good catte

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I like the Wedge set and the shot with the sword pointing out and toward the lower-left corner of the picture

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

That looks incredibly fancy and cozy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm going to dump my Star Trek Online OCs here, about three paragraphs each

Liliama Lotus Swimm is the captain of the U.S.S. Ecuador. She became a Starfleet scientist to help save people from the kinds of natural and humanitarian disasters that had once plagued her own home planet. Before enrolling in Starfleet Academy, she found a message in a bottle at the bottom of a lake from a volcanologist recorded in times before computers. It recorded for future scientists the local elevation during times before computers. The increase in the elevation in the time since indicated rising magma or increased hydrothermal activity. Professionals then gathered evidence led to an area-wide evacuation.

At Starfleet Academy, she was at first avoidant of other people, but she soon learned that interpersonal skills and science go hand in hand, because scientific data and theory are of little use when they are not well-communicated. Not long after graduating, Lt. Swimm was hurtled through time from 2256 to 2409 during the Klingon War accident that brought J'Ula and Captain Aakar to the same year.

Captain Swimm was born on the planet Atox, the homeworld of a salamander-like species known as Atoxylites. Atoxylites live in semi-aquatic environments with marshes and lakes. They have the ability to change color to express emotion or adapt to their environment, similar to Earth chameleons. Atoxylite music mixes Earth rock, Breen synthesizers, Romulan military marches, and Vulcan meditation ritual acoustics. The chief export of Atox is adaptive equipment for aquatic species. The Federation made first contact (via emissaries from nearby Sauria) in 2246.

Alternate outfits:

The second two outfits are standard in the game. For the winter one, I changed the skin and hair color to look more like salamanders you find at the bottom of alpine lakes.

As First Officer of the U.S.S. Ecuador, Zalaya Sh'Vala takes point on away missions. Raised on the ice world of Andoria by an Andorian father and a Vulcan mother, in combat Dylla Sh'Vala mixes Vulcan strategy with Andorian instinct. In her twenties, Sh'Vala participated in wargame exercises involving defense of Andoria's underground tunnel system, was promoted to commander of the A8-5 tunnel zone, and put into practice ancient pincer tactics used to divide and conquer enemy forces. Afterward, Sh'Vala entered Starfleet Academy and studied to be a tactical officer.

Sh'vala is married to UI Zhen, Khalir Sh'Vala (an ice sculptor), and Th'lia Drek. Marriages of four are customary among Andorians and required for reproduction. Sh'Vala herself was born through genetic resequencing. Ul Zhen, Khalir Sh'Vala, and Th'lia Drek live aboard the U.S.S. Ecuador with their daughter Dylla, age nine.

Growing up was hard for Sh'Vala, not because the two sides of her family had aminosity, but because they were both pushy when it came to their cultural heritage. Her grandmother wanted to teach her a form of Andorian ritual combat called Ushaan, and her grandfather wanted to teach her to mind meld, a trait she hadn't inherited. At the time, she only wanted to focus on schoolwork and play. Then and now, Sh'Vala spends her time in the Holodeck practicing and co-authoring wilderness survival programs, sometimes a solitary outing, and other times a joint venture with friends and family.

Gletora (left) is Chief Science Officer of the U.S.S. Ecuador. Initially for her, learning science was a means to an end of seeking profit, as part of a plan involving tractoring an asteroid and a fool's gold-type switcheroo. The more Gletora studied tractoring, shielding from debris, star system geology, and mining technology, the more it became a matter of curiosity than profit. Using her state-of-the art tractor design, she intervened to save a civilization from an asteroid impact, whose customers later became grateful customers of the Ferengi Mining Consortium. Seeing as how her studies had proved more fruitful and more fulfilling, Gletora joined Starfleet to further her studies.

Moklanak (left) is the Chief Engineering Officer of the U.S.S. Ecuador. He also manages recreational crew events such as parrises squares. Before being promoted, he did stand-up comedy every Friday night after movie hour. He was uneasy with giving orders to former co-workers and requested a transfer. He's outgoing and a regular chatterbox. Creativity was once his weaknesses due to an upbringing in a culture of sequels, reboots, prequels, and prevalent plagiarism. In engineering, now he can come up with on-the-fly tractor beam and tachyon phase inverter (i.e. duct-tape and WD-40) solutions better than anybody he knows.

Dr. Hixor Kott (right) is the Chief Medical Officer of the U.S.S. Ecuador. He has a stern demeanor, but he is good at keeping his patients calm and focused on something other their pain, which is an especially good skill to have for a combat medic. He is married with several adult children and looking forward to retirement.

"Back on Bolias, we have this holiday that started back before we had electricity, when there were these five villages which would light their towers when the Bolian terror birds came out of hibernation, right? They would cover the signal so that the birds became confused, traveling in every which direction for their prey, until they tired out. Well, one year they only had enough oil to light the flame at the top of the towers for one night, but it lasted five days, and that's why every year we light five Bolian candles."
"That sounds an awful lot like an Earth story."
"I'm not finished yet. The Bolian terror birds could run at 200 kilometers an hour, and they could swim. They'd cover and uncover the lanterns to make them blink, so we'd get the message 'One if by land, two if by sea.' It's a time to remember when getting through the night brought people together in a season of family and fellowship."
"..."
"Let me give you some advice. Opportunities to meet up with family don't come around that often in the middle of a war. I don't know what you've got going on, but I do know from experience that if you don't go on shore leave by the time we leave orbit, you're going to regret it. Go on. You've earned it."

"You're going to get through this, okay? Just grab onto my shoulder and we're going to take this one step at a time. Left foot...right foot...there we go...when we get back to the ship, we're going to have a bottle of Saurian brandy and a story to tell."

Other screenshots:

"These communications logs mention Romulan warbirds on their way to Vulcan."

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 23, 2021