Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Really curious about that and how software gets on hardware in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Like how did someone write software before the first software writing program existed?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

punch cards maybe? idk i'm just guessing

sonoffett
Dec 14, 2004
L'Emmerdeur
Looms

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

you are asking dangerous questions

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
switches, op

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Raluek posted:

switches, op

So Nintendo is up to some time traveling poo poo eh? I knew it :ninja:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Really curious about that and how software gets on hardware in general.

i dont think u are op

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sex

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
When a one and a zero reeeeeally love eachother...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Raluek posted:

switches, op

going to the computer museum in seattle back in january was really cool in part for getting to see a demonstration of loading stuff into memory on an altair 8800 via the front panel switches

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

imagine how huge of a nerd you have to be to directly input binary machine code on a bunch of toggle switches

i am eternaly grateful for these brave pioneers and all the swirlies they would have had to endure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly dont get compilers. like do they have something like a lookup table where certain instructions are written as that gobbledegoook that you get when you open a .exe

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the most fascinating thing about compilers is compiling a compiler

https://wiki.osdev.org/Building_GCC#Introduction

I guess the initial versions of GCC were compiled with some ancient unix C compiler and from there you could use your current version of gcc to build a slightly better gcc as time went by.

I wonder if gcc compiling gcc always gives the exact same result regardless of what compiler made the parent

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

The egg, op.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
its the original sin, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

I honestly dont get compilers. like do they have something like a lookup table where certain instructions are written as that gobbledegoook that you get when you open a .exe

yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a magnetized needle and a steady hand

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
very carefully, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one bit at a time

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

one bit at a time

and it didn't cost me a dime

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV1ki6LiEmg

like this OP

idk exactly how but ENIAC or whatever didn't have program storage so you had to wire it to do what you wanted directly

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

All the way back in fourth grade elementary school I remember one of the nerdiest kids brought a toilet roll with him to school where he had encoded his first and last name in binary

I think it was a little like that, OP

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you use a turing machine by wiping your rear end with the tape

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

r u ready to WALK posted:

All the way back in fourth grade elementary school I remember one of the nerdiest kids brought a toilet roll with him to school where he had encoded his first and last name in binary

I think it was a little like that, OP

how long was it before someone let you out of your locker

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cortana update by bingutils

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

very carefully, op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/GalaxyBrainBot/status/1272446325640933376?s=20

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the first computers in the ocean used salts to communicate

it was rudimentary but sexy as hell

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

the most fascinating thing about compilers is compiling a compiler

https://wiki.osdev.org/Building_GCC#Introduction

I guess the initial versions of GCC were compiled with some ancient unix C compiler and from there you could use your current version of gcc to build a slightly better gcc as time went by.

I wonder if gcc compiling gcc always gives the exact same result regardless of what compiler made the parent

you link the answer to that question; bootstrapping gcc indeed does build gcc again with the final compiler just to verify that the output is identical (which is important since the original compiler may be so broken that the stage 1 gcc is broken, and produces a broken stage 2 gcc and so on).

it wasn't that long ago gcc could still be bootstrapped with any old k&r compiler (up to 4.something i think), but since they've switched to developing gcc in c++ requirements are now pretty high.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
nobody knows op. the scientists have theories about a big gas explosion but thats just a guess tbh

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
computer used to be a job title

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you visit the computer history museum in mountain view they will show you all about it in great detail

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

your operating system is a piece of poo poo?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV1ki6LiEmg

like this OP

idk exactly how but ENIAC or whatever didn't have program storage so you had to wire it to do what you wanted directly

youtube keeps recommending me this guy's videos and now i kinda want one of these altair remake things. i have no use for it at all but it'd be fun to flip the switches and make the lights go blink

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
it was enki masturbating to create the fertile crescent but on a smaller scale op

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

very carefully, op

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

im a computer engineer

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

computers are the result of a stable time loop, op

deep in a dod lab there are very explicit instructions on how and when to construct the time machine as well as the materials to leave in the past in order to keep the loop stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
the liars will say that if you leave eniac in hydrothermal vent precipitates and leave it bubbling for a million years it will get a bios