Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I recently watched this video on programming a 6502 which I thought was a very clear demonstration how this works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8vPW5hydQ

Obviously this isn't the first hardware or software, but you can totally see how the EPROM could be replaced with a tape reader that just seeks to the requested address. I never really had to look into how processors fetch data or instructions in detail but this immediately made sense in a way that blinking LEDs didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FalseNegative posted:

I'd recommend working through Ben Eater's entire 8-bit CPU series (and build one!) It's great fun, isn't too expensive given the other hobbies in these threads and quite relaxing.

The only real caveat is buy nice breadboards. Shoddy power cause a lot of ghosts in the machine and frustrating issues. Don't skimp on the power supply either, mine is pulling down 2-3 amps at 5.2v or so.

Yeah the who series is great and I second the recommendation, but while I do have unreasonable amounts of patience, I think I'd start murdering people indiscriminately by the time I got eve a third of those wires down