Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Yeah I can't believe how much stuff is being added. Like, legit stuff too.

I guess it feels weird to see a developer actually work and...exceed expectations?

I spend far more time creating stuff in the editor than playing the game but even that aspect has been vastly upgraded in what you can do. Super fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Heads up for any new folks interested in trying out the game:

https://twitter.com/UndertowGames/status/1458864555468152832

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol oh man this sounds fun. I have a few submarines with glass gun rooms I think I might have to dust off

Diving suits, scooters; advised

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does the AI still suck rear end? Cause I refuse to play with randoms, and the time zone differences for the Goons that play is too much.

Been trying for months to rope my friends to play but they're being difficult, won't even give the free weekend a go.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Qubee posted:

Does the AI still suck rear end? Cause I refuse to play with randoms, and the time zone differences for the Goons that play is too much.

Been trying for months to rope my friends to play but they're being difficult, won't even give the free weekend a go.

We hired some AI engineers and they god tier, sprinting around the ship fixing stuff like they were on a mission from god.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Got my poo poo kicked in going to a Crawler nest. Don't know how to have AI follow me and provide backup. My Mechanic was also just chilling whilst the sub was being broken and leaking, despite him having a "Fix Leaks" as one of his three tasks.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Qubee posted:

Got my poo poo kicked in going to a Crawler nest. Don't know how to have AI follow me and provide backup. My Mechanic was also just chilling whilst the sub was being broken and leaking, despite him having a "Fix Leaks" as one of his three tasks.
He was just busy having a good panic attack, why would you deprive him of that?

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

I play medic and have been messing around with the gene splicing. I gave one friend a beak that he can use to break through walls and attack things. I gave another spineling spikes in his back that he immediately shot out, hitting the vip we were carrying, and was immediately shot in the face.

Love these new updates.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I played this game over the free weekend, and holy poo poo it's crazy good. Talk about being under the radar.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

RocketRaygun posted:

I played this game over the free weekend, and holy poo poo it's crazy good. Talk about being under the radar.

Yeah, the new update adds so, so much too. I'm really upset how good the Clown talent tree is for the Assistant. I want it to just be a meme, but being able to honk your horn and give your crewmates 30% skill gain rate AND slowly repair all electronics/mechanics is just bonkers.

Though I'm not sure I'll ever take the repair talent because being able to swim outside the ship without a diving suit with an additional 60% speed is loving hilarious and rad.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What has people's experience with the radiation wave been like? My co-op crew got caught in it, and it actually seemed to make the game dramatically easier: every monster that wasn't flagged for a mission was dead in the water, including fractal guardians in ruins, and the radiation damage has been negligible so far. We're just cruising through empty seas hoovering up loot, and it's frankly taken all the challenge out of the game. Is there something we're missing here?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The best things about this game is it has serious and tense moments, followed by comedy.

https://streamable.com/m07bcp

https://streamable.com/umjytd

Barotrauma good.

Kestral posted:

What has people's experience with the radiation wave been like? My co-op crew got caught in it, and it actually seemed to make the game dramatically easier: every monster that wasn't flagged for a mission was dead in the water, including fractal guardians in ruins, and the radiation damage has been negligible so far. We're just cruising through empty seas hoovering up loot, and it's frankly taken all the challenge out of the game. Is there something we're missing here?

We haven't let it catch up to us in our campaign and honestly that sounds kind of un-threatening. Might not be intended?

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Evil Kit posted:

Barotrauma good.

I love this stupid, stupid game.

There's always a disaster waiting to happen and I can't stay mad at it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

In today's goon submarine campaign adventures: we had some relatively uneventful missions, made it to the Aphotic Plateau and took on a Pirate Sub Elimination mission. As we encountered them they were getting attacked by a Moloch and our nose got underneath them. Both subs promptly started to plummet into the abyss as we exchanged blows, where we ended up trapped on the floor underneath the pirate sub after eliminating the last pirate on board. We had to repair the pirate sub to get it off of ours all while a Charbydis lurked in the backround pinging us constantly. As we ascended it we started a battle with it as it finally located us. The result?

https://streamable.com/cqi8g5

Also just a general safety reminder not to carry chemicals that react to water in your pockets and then play in a ballast tank:

https://streamable.com/j6maxk

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Looks like baro's gonna get a QTE type system for repairs.

(subject to change)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I uh, I don't know how I feel about that? I guess it's an attempt to focus more of your attention on the task instead of being able to stay aware of what's going on.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I don't know if this factors in to your assessment but the proposed implementation in the pull request allowed the timing bar to reach all the way to the left and stay there indefinitely, no punishment for simply not participating in the QTE.

They mentioned its benefit as use in sabotaging things more discreetly, and I think that's a fun point to make. "Aw shucks I just messed up the qte fellas :kiddo:".

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My experience with the game is the co-op campaign with no traitors so a bit limited on sabotaging is an understatement, but that just seems like an obvious traitor tell? "oh whoops guess I keep messing up haha" Yeah sure whatever traitor. Maybe if that QTE looked actually somewhat difficult I'd believe it, but that looks so stupidly simple you'd have to try to gently caress it up.

If they do roll it out and I get to try it that opinion might change of course. I like it on the level of adding something to focus on while repairing as a level of immersion though.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Some kind of Among Us interactive system to speed things up while doing something more interesting than staring at a progress bar wouldn't be the worst thing... right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It just looks like the current system except if you want to pay attention and interact with it you can speed it up, which is a nice add because right now repair duty is probably the least interactive and engaging task but is utterly critical at all times.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

we got a private server or something? this game's fun as hell, but i can never find anyone to play it with

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Just bought this because it's on sale. It looks like a more approachable SS13. Want to join goons.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey how do you loot a moloch after you kill it, we couldn't find the bit to grab

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cowcaster posted:

hey how do you loot a moloch after you kill it, we couldn't find the bit to grab

you have to swim practically all the way into the middle of it until you can see the [G]rab prompt pop up. It should roughly be in the middle of the giant meat ball under the shell, it can be a bit finicky.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

thx

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I actually started building a new mother ship / mobile station with a small sub/drone fleet for mission completing and combat etc with the main ship being left as open for crafter's to customize how they want.

Basically going for a deep space nine vibe I suppose. It'll have branching tech trees built in depending on what resources people want to craft/buy etc.

Should be pretty fun to see how people end up evolving the blank but functional slate I'm trying to build lol.

Also an interesting social experiment to see what putting the combat oriented stuff separate but reliant on either scavenging or crafting or both.

Or ppl can just blow each other up idgaf.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so i'm our ship's engineer and i was planning on taking the college athletics talent because a bunch of health/mobility bonuses plus a cargo scooter you can cram items in? yes please. but then i actually looked it up and you can't park the cargo scooter in your inventory like a regular one and it takes two hands, which means that in order to do anything with tools/weapons you'd need to drop it in the middle of the ocean, and all of a sudden that sounds a lot less useful and polymath starts sounding a lot nicer. is the health penalty from polymath that bad? the skill bonuses sound ok because i'm playing with a small group of 4-5 so more coverage is nice but at the end of the day the predominant use of them just seem to be how fast you can manufacture stuff in the fabricator

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 15, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cowcaster posted:

so i'm our ship's engineer and i was planning on taking the college athletics talent because a bunch of health/mobility bonuses plus a cargo scooter you can cram items in? yes please. but then i actually looked it up and you can't park the cargo scooter in your inventory like a regular one and it takes two hands, which means that in order to do anything with tools/weapons you'd need to drop it in the middle of the ocean, and all of a sudden that sounds a lot less useful and polymath starts sounding a lot nicer. is the health penalty from polymath that bad?

Take College Athletics. Yes, you have to drop the Cargo Scooter, but Cargo Scooters have a nice feature where they're buoyant. They will float in place in water when dropped. They can still be pushed around by currents if any exist but they will not free fall. Cargo Scooters are unbelievably good.

My crew runs on a personalized version of the R-29 and we have multiple cargo scooters in the lockers for both airlocks. Would not leave home without 'em.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh perfect that's exactly what i wanted to know, i figured it'd immediately plummet to the ocean floor

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

today our goon group finally beat the campaign. The final thing you do to move on to the final zone is to repair a sonar beacon station after killing a giant Endworm called the DOOMWORM .

Should be fine, right?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/932034824938598430/you_should_be_fine.mp4

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 16, 2022

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I appreciated your concern for me though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Evil Kit posted:

today our goon group finally beat the campaign. The final thing you do to move on to the final zone is to repair a sonar beacon station after killing a giant Endworm called the DOOMWORM .

Should be fine, right?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/932034824938598430/you_should_be_fine.mp4

im impressed. my gaming crew devolves like lord of the flies by mission 3 where I lock myself in the captains quarters with a revolver.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ichabod Tane posted:

im impressed. my gaming crew devolves like lord of the flies by mission 3 where I lock myself in the captains quarters with a revolver.

lol, the campaign is punishing enough we usually just focus on keeping the sub together, and there's enough emergent gameplay stuff even without crew members actively trying to sabotage. Our forever captain is also pretty good at keeping order, though he may break out of the role for the next campaign.

Now if it was one of the one off missions? Slap that traitor in and let's have some fun, I'd feel way more confident now traitoring it up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

as the chief engineer of my old group i found it helpful to place motion detected bombs on a delay trigger to keep the crew on their toes about exactly who or what may be causing the calamity

nobody could ever figure out exactly how things would blow up with all people accounted for and busy lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there a way to tell how far the jovian radiation belt is going to advance on the start of the next mission? our host swears up and down that he's watching the map and choosing missions and destinations that keep us ahead of the radiation, but all 3-4 of the campaigns we've started have ended with the entire crew getting microwaved to death. part of our group is vehemently against turning it off because they like the ticking clock element, but the rest of our group is sick of starting a run from level 1 every 5 or so missions in we get. if there's some way to just know exactly where the radiation is going to be and definitively stay ahead of it, then it would be a non-issue, but apparently there isn't? i'm not ruling out our host not reading the map right

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 28, 2022

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Cowcaster posted:

is there a way to tell how far the jovian radiation belt is going to advance on the start of the next mission? our host swears up and down that he's watching the map and choosing missions and destinations that keep us ahead of the radiation, but all 3-4 of the campaigns we've started have ended with the entire crew getting microwaved to death. part of our group is vehemently against turning it off because they like the ticking clock element, but the rest of our group is sick of starting a run from level 1 every 5 or so missions in we get. if there's some way to just know exactly where the radiation is going to be and definitively stay ahead of it, then it would be a non-issue, but apparently there isn't? i'm not ruling out our host not reading the map right

As far as I know, the jovian radiation advances based on game time, not based on area or mission completion. The clock is constantly ticking as you are in outpost or in sub. My group turned it off for that reason.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so if we spend an hour on a mission scraping through by the skin of our teeth we're actually worse off than if we just say "welp this one's hosed, start over" five minutes in? because that explains a few things. and also sucks poo poo because saving a doomed mission from the brink is the funnest thing you can do in this game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

anecdotally in our goon campaign our captain never seemed to struggle to stay ahead of the radiation. As long as you make sure you hit the breakpoints and keep moving forward it seems pretty easy to keep ahead of the game. You get pretty flush with resources after a bit and it's mostly a matter of completing missions so you can keep upgrading hull to go deeper along with other systems.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well if it's based on in game time then the onus is on our team for spending the first thirteen hours of every new round doing inventory management, in addition to the many body recovery missions we go on when someone dies in an alien ruin and loses All Our Good poo poo. but there's also plenty of instances where we skip alien ruins/wrecks/poo poo entirely because "it feels like this round is taking too long". the point of contention really isn't that any of our crew minds ticking clocks, or having to restart a dead campaign from scratch, it's that the clock display seems to be inconsistent and no one knows how fast it's ticking until "whoops you're all glow in the dark now, restart the run".

i'm definitely going to start keeping one eye on the map before our host picks missions now, part of the reason this is so frustrating is i haven't been doing that so i have no frame of reference how hard it actually is to tell where the radiation is, and he's definitely the kind of person who would click buttons before reading instructions. but he's also sworn up and down after the first time we got roasted that he's been keeping an eye on the radiation and staying ahead of it, and i trust him enough not to be lying about that, which makes the subsequent times getting grilled to perfection all the more annoying because there's been no indication we were behind the 8 ball at any point

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

went ahead and looked it up on the official wiki. To quite:

quote:

The radioactive area grows slowly from the left side of the map, based on time elapsed in game. It appears 5 rounds after the start of the campaign and advances by 0.5% of the map width per round, meaning it will cover the whole map in 205 rounds.

Once an Outpost is exposed to radiation for 10 rounds, it becomes an Abandoned Outpost.

I assume that a "round" is a mission or zone you pass through, but perhaps it's a set amount of time? The nomenclature on the wiki is a bit consistent but it seems like it's just based on transition zones and shouldn't be based on actual time played.