Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You can also have someone build PUCS for everyone and just ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ironically i had just gotten the talent for the pucs and built one just before the wave overtook us and cooked everyone else while i was fine on this last run

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Game good, need to find a crew to play with because sheep herding the AI isn't much fun. Looting wrecks/ruins takes FOREVER as one person

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

we're starting up another campaign tomorrow in the co-op goons server if you want to join, we usually start around 2-2:30pm est.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is that a discord or a dedicated server?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

GruntyThrst posted:

Is that a discord or a dedicated server?

discord server, though it's the only goon discord I've seen that's gotten any kind of groups going for Barotrauma. Here's an invite if you're interested. We've got 7 people signed up and honestly the more the merrier, especially since our forever captain previous captain/host who has broken free of the shackles of captainhood has cooked up a number of custom subs, one of which is very, very large and requires all the hands it can get. We may also try a few mods out that add some variety to events and layouts, though we still haven't decided if we'll be using only the in-game communication or not yet this time.

If you do end up joining, I have the same name on discord that I do on the forums. We usually do Barotrauma chat in the survivial_and_simulation text channel.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 29, 2022

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Hi, just posting in the thread for a great game. I'm now in the co-op goon server as well so I may or may not see any of you at some point in the near future.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Got this on sale, but the COOP Hoon discord seems kinda dead. Any goons still playing this?

E: I literally just got home, and haven't checked the discord yet so if there's a game going on right now, my bad lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I made the OP then kind of peaced because I was at peak lockdown agoraphobia but I would be down to try to get some games going. They keep patching this thing, they're the most productive game dev team out there and we have to honor them

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Nitevision posted:

They keep patching this thing, they're the most productive game dev team out there

the ppl i play with and i constantly say this about them, its ridiculous how much they work on this game to meaningful degrees and how regularly. like wtf.

its borderline unholy i dont even wanna know how they do it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Got this on sale, but the COOP Hoon discord seems kinda dead. Any goons still playing this?

E: I literally just got home, and haven't checked the discord yet so if there's a game going on right now, my bad lol

we generally play every other Saturday atm just because folks have a bunch of real life poo poo to do and/or are EU goons so we have to play earlier in the day EST. If you can get a campaign going in the week be my guest!

The devs are also hella awesome and have been putting in some mad work making the game better every major patch, it's honestly kind of impressive.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Games good I've put tons of time into it

Just gimme stuff to fix electric stuff and I'm fine I can do that for hours

Or being 3rd captain

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Are the roles not really as specialized as I've been assuming? I feel like as a mechanic or electrician there nothing for me to do unless somethings broken. Should I be shooting/diving for stuff during the calm moments?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Are the roles not really as specialized as I've been assuming? I feel like as a mechanic or electrician there nothing for me to do unless somethings broken. Should I be shooting/diving for stuff during the calm moments?

Engineer and mechanic don't have much to do if everything is going to plan. That said, other than repairing, most of your time goes into crafting and managing the ship's inventory, or farming if you are really underworked. Some talent trees add extra activities to keep track of, too, like the electric engineer's nuclear material refinement thing

Worf posted:

its borderline unholy i dont even wanna know how they do it

It's mostly because of the framework in use is quick to develop with, and the game being 2D makes it easy to create new assets and stuff

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 27, 2022

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Basically, everyone can do everyone else's job minus a 50/50 chance to hurt yourself while you're repairing or a slight dps/accuracy penalty, provided you can get into the room to do the thing.

During the calm moments I like to make drugs and improvised weapons, tend to the garden, or disassemble trash.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Engineer has plenty to do if your sub has a lovely reactor and your captain isn't experienced with managing the sonar/engines so the power draw fluctuations constantly burn up your grid.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ramming speed Mr. Sulu

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

if you aren't constantly overdrawing power and burning out relays for your engineers to fix as captain, are you really doing your job right?

no, unless you're also slamming back all the ethanol your crew uses to clean/craft and playing your harmonica as a swarm of aliens chases you

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I've been playing on a public server with a difficulty mod, and it's one of the craziest games i've ever played.

I was playing the doctor (the only one on the ship) and i got knocked out by a mudraptor. My crew proceeded to open the entire medical cabinet and start injecting me with poo poo to see if I would get up. They somehow gave me massive organ damage and nearly killed me 3 times but it was the funniest poo poo on the planet as they were trying to figure out what meds to use (they used all of them).

All I needed was a single injection of morphine to get up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this is an old clip, but i did start building another sub thats good enough to at least F around with

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just started playing this in campaign mode with some friends, and it's really fun! Wild and chaotic though!

Couple questions:

Is there an easier way to see inside or outside the ship? I feel like there's a whole ocean world out there but it's so dark I can't see a drat thing. I see folks saying they found wrecks? How do you find them or even distinguish them from the normal environment?

Similarly, any way to add fabricators or deconstructors to ships? Or move guns around? The Dugong's default top gun can't hit the front of the ship and we keep having problems with crawlers trying to get in there.

As an engineer, is there a way to get a heads up when things are about to break or are broken? The oxygen generator broke and my entire crew suffocated while docked.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Talorat posted:

Just started playing this in campaign mode with some friends, and it's really fun! Wild and chaotic though!

Couple questions:

Is there an easier way to see inside or outside the ship? I feel like there's a whole ocean world out there but it's so dark I can't see a drat thing. I see folks saying they found wrecks? How do you find them or even distinguish them from the normal environment?

Similarly, any way to add fabricators or deconstructors to ships? Or move guns around? The Dugong's default top gun can't hit the front of the ship and we keep having problems with crawlers trying to get in there.

As an engineer, is there a way to get a heads up when things are about to break or are broken? The oxygen generator broke and my entire crew suffocated while docked.

Answers:

-There's no easy way to see the outside from inside the ship without making use of radar, guns or a giant hole in your hull that you should probably be fixing. Wrecks are generally pretty obvious on radar, take a Wreck salvage mission or two and you'll quickly pick up on what they look like on radar when you approach the mission waypoint.

-There is no way to add fabricators or deconstructors to subs mid game. If you want to get up to sub editing (be warned, this is A LOT of effort, requires balancing power, wiring, find/making space etc) you can edit the vanilla subs or make your own sub, but you will have to buy the custom sub as an entirely separate sub in the campaign and will no longer be able to edit it further. As for weapons, some vanilla subs come pre-equipped with only one or two guns and have additional hardpoints for adding more, the Dugong is not one of those however. You cannot move those hardpoints yourself, what you see on the sub is what you get. You can now change the guns out for the different turret types by buying them from a sub upgrade vendor at an outpost, but you're probably better off just saving up for a new sub.

-Yes there is, but it's probably locked behind a talent in one of the engineer trees. I don't remember if it's electrical, mechanical or both engineer types that get it. Some subs also come with status monitors that have a tab that lets you view the damage to all the bits and bobs on the ship, including hulls.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

also never forget to stun baton, handcuff, tranq or slap your clown. They probably definitely deserve it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I would get the EK mod pack. It adds a lot of fun stuff and let's you mod the ship with many items mid campaign, like fabricators. It adds a lot lot lot of stuff. The devs end up incorporating half the stuff those modders make into baseline, that's how well it fits.

It's probably the most common mod pack for Barotrauma.

I have about 2500 hours of ship editing/building from scratch experience in the game, if you wanted a dugong with some electronic warfare/surveillance stuff for your next campaign or whatever, I would probably enjoy modding one again. It's how I got my start / learned

One of my favorite things in ships is finding ways to let players become more aware of their surroundings.

My last ship I made has a really fun radar panel / wall screen that I modeled after the ones you see in the old star wars movies (offers 360 degree tracking outside of sub, with blinking blips to indicate enemies)

It also has a glass observation deck in the bow with about 270 degrees of visibility / I linked 4 rotating exterior cameras onto a periscope in there.

It has sliding armor shields that encapsulate it when activated to protect the glass 😎

I enjoy making custom weapon systems / gameplay loops too. I think loading ammo can get boring so why not make a cool down based energy weapon that requires specific conduit maintenance or its own generator

I made one experimental system on a ship that gave it energy shields basically tied into some automated defense system so that you could theoretically just kind of let it passively be. It's fun because a lot of games obviously have a lot of balance and give and take (as was mentioned by evil ) And it's neat finding out how you can make your stuff viable in that way, to me.

One of my favorite things is playtesting the ships with people that I'm completely unfamiliar with and seeing if I made things intuitive enough for a stranger to figure out without instructions. It's interesting to balance a unique concept and system with familiarity and usability.

🤷‍♀️ I'm pretty terrible at this game but I enjoy the editor a lot lol

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Playing this game with a buddy. he designs subs, and plays the engi and i captain them. holy poo poo we've had some of the most intense moments in gaming ive ever had. We roll with medium-small subs and a couple of bots to fill out the crew and it works really well

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

also never forget to stun baton, handcuff, tranq or slap your clown. They probably definitely deserve it.

As a Clown Main(TM) I am deeply offended--if I'm handcuffed how am I supposed to sprint around the ship obnoxiously honking my horn so that everyone constantly has a buff to their XP gains???

Straight up though don't sleep on the spec if you always want something to do, Clown looks like (and obviously is) a joke tree for Assistant but I'm also convinced it's straight up one of the best ones in the game. Absurd utility, exceptionally tanky, and most importantly never needs a diving suit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

As a Clown Main(TM) I am deeply offended--if I'm handcuffed how am I supposed to sprint around the ship obnoxiously honking my horn so that everyone constantly has a buff to their XP gains???

Straight up though don't sleep on the spec if you always want something to do, Clown looks like (and obviously is) a joke tree for Assistant but I'm also convinced it's straight up one of the best ones in the game. Absurd utility, exceptionally tanky, and most importantly never needs a diving suit.

You're wearing clown shoes that's basically a second bike horn.

Jokes aside the clown tree is incredibly powerful and probably the single strongest tree in a vacuum imo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If you see 69th clamdigging squadron up that's me, doing a nice and casual campaign. It's set to hard but I'm not running any difficulty or creature mods and it's a decently powered ship.

No real goals of finishing asap, mainly just meandering around exploring, salvaging, and crafting etc.

My main goal is just playing through enough to balance the ship and hammer out design issues and learn for the next one 😈

I'm enjoying the beacons extended and shipwrecks extended mods, they're totally stable and add a lot of fun so far with stuff to explore and salvage to haul.

It's much more of a combat ship but the next one I want to build is going to be something along the lines of a tow truck submarine salvage express, where you basically start out with nothing but a coil gun and fabricator.

So far I've been really lucky and had zero saboteurs or anything. I've been giving anybody that came a good salary and bonus when we complete missions, and they even bought supplies for the ship at large with the money.

Good times

E: I'm based out of northeast USA, no idea how to tell you to find me on steam but my discord is WORF#4991

Worf fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 16, 2022

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Would anyone like to put a group together and play through the campaign? I haven't played in years and am basically a new player. I've not done anything outside of a submarine. Nor have I done many missions (I think I've killed some prawns and done one cargo mission). Last I properly truly played was back when the game was first released and it was a totally different beast than what it is today.

I've tried playing with bots but real people is way better. I'm thinking a minimum of 4 players would make for a brilliant campaign? I'm GMT +3, so playing with people from Europe would be preferable. I'd also like to go into the game with others who are equally new. I find it saps the fun out of it if someone knows everything inside and out, it inevitably leads to them playing the game for us instead of us all discovering cool stuff together. I work Sun-Thurs and am typically home and ready to play 6pm my time. I can play for 3 hours weekdays but all day weekends (Fri / Sat).

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Started playing this recently. Game is fun.

playing with friends in campaign mode, I was captain-ing and then missed a session, where another player made a captain, and the next time I was able to play It auto-assigned me as an Assistant, since you can only have a single of the Captain job. I wouldn't mind so much except it took away my stupid roleplay name away and just named me after my steam name and I have no idea how to reset that.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Pretty much. Before perks came in there was basically no difference after enough play time and at least with my group everyone did a little bit of everything. All skills are useable in most cases at low levels and train up pretty quick. Having extremely high piloting was/is almost a liability because the sub engine would spool up so fast it'd blow junction boxes. The only hard locks on doing stuff were on crafting things, but crafting was more nice to do than necessary.

Now role are more defined by their available perks than anything else. You can still crosstrain pretty much everything and most medical, shooting, and piloting activities are fine at low skill levels.

Crasical posted:

Started playing this recently. Game is fun.

playing with friends in campaign mode, I was captain-ing and then missed a session, where another player made a captain, and the next time I was able to play It auto-assigned me as an Assistant, since you can only have a single of the Captain job. I wouldn't mind so much except it took away my stupid roleplay name away and just named me after my steam name and I have no idea how to reset that.

That suuucks. Campaigns have always been kinda iffy with character progression but I'm pretty sure I've had two captains before without one of the captains losing their character. Usually you should only get a new character if you specifically pick another class before launching the save.

If you want your roleplay name/face back I think you just need to make a new character in the server lobby before the campaign save loads. Just change your class in that screen and you should get to enter your name and stuff. Saves are also manually editable but I believe all the character data is kept with whoever is hosting the lobby so they'd have to do it. Could be wrong.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Looks like one last sale going on before 1.0 releases with an accompanying price increase.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/602960/view/3637254425215117856?l=english

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So I've started a singleplayer campaign but there's no way of like, saving the characters created for use in a future game (like Jim, Bob and Tim all die, start a fresh game and load templates for Jim, Bob and Tim) unless there's something I'm missing
Also, is there no way to pick an alternate starting uniform/equipment like you can if you host a multiplayer game and add AI/bots?
Is there any difference between singleplayer campaign with bots vs multiplayer campaign save with bots only, hosted as a private server and password locked, in terms of getting achievements?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Iymarra posted:

So I've started a singleplayer campaign but there's no way of like, saving the characters created for use in a future game (like Jim, Bob and Tim all die, start a fresh game and load templates for Jim, Bob and Tim) unless there's something I'm missing
Also, is there no way to pick an alternate starting uniform/equipment like you can if you host a multiplayer game and add AI/bots?
Is there any difference between singleplayer campaign with bots vs multiplayer campaign save with bots only, hosted as a private server and password locked, in terms of getting achievements?

For the latter question no, you can get any achievements in singleplayer or multiplayer.

As for alternative kits for jobs I've never really messed around with singleplayer but I'd be surprised if there was genuinely no way to pick from them.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
singleplayer sucks just join a random serer everytime u play imo

especially if it takes 2006 levels of time to download all the mods

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Iymarra posted:

In single player, you control the captain by default but can switch to controlling any of the crew at any time. In multiplayer, you play the character you rolled and that’s it; you can’t possess the bots without using console commands.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Iymarra posted:

You can use the online save editor to save the characters, then add them back in to your new campaigns.

https://ignis05.github.io/baro-save-editor/

Use "Edit crew" on the ones you want to copy, copy the XML to clipboard and paste this into a text file. When you want to add them, copy the XML stuff from said text file and use the "Add character from XML". The "paste character XML from clipboard" does not work for me.
If you are comfortable with XML or computer stuff, you can poke around in the raw XML and edit a bunch of stuff. It's easy to see what is what.
The player characters in multiplayer are saved as XML files in your multiplayer saves folder and are also very easy to edit.
Save files are in " C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Daedalic Entertainment GmbH\Barotrauma "

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Preechr posted:

In single player, you control the captain by default but can switch to controlling any of the crew at any time. In multiplayer, you play the character you rolled and that’s it; you can’t possess the bots without using console commands.

Or mods. You can use the Lua for Barotrauma mod together with the Multiplayer Crew Manager to get single player-like crew management in a multiplayer environment. Great fun for smaller teams.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

verbal enema posted:

singleplayer sucks just join a random serer everytime u play imo

especially if it takes 2006 levels of time to download all the mods

download the mods directly from steam and not from the server would be my advice, as somebody that hosts modded servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If you find ship maintenance and medical are too boring, and wish things were more like SS13, I recommend neurotrauma and mechtrauma. very cool mods, especially neurotrauma.

Worf posted:

download the mods directly from steam and not from the server would be my advice, as somebody that hosts modded servers

I also recommend this.