Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Reporting in from a goon discord (Co-op Goons run by Discendo Vox)! We've been playing with a 5-6 man crew in a campaign regularly recently and been having an absolute blast. This game is pretty drat good.

If anyone is interested in joining I'm more than happy to drop an invite link, we usually play around 3 pm EST and go for about three hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hauki posted:

Dunno how regularly I could commit to that, but I'm definitely interested to give it a go. Played with friends a few times, but none of us really knew what we were doing.

The good news is you don't have to be there every time, as long as your character doesn't die you keep any skill levels you gain! Feel free to hop in the Co-op discord and get verified, other co-op goon games happen here too. Once you're in and verified type !lfb somewhere to get the role so you get pinged when we start up a round.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Qubee posted:

How far into the campaign are you guys, or does it not really matter? The thought of joining a fresh campaign where we slowly kit out our submarine would be fun to join, but hopping in on a fully decked out sub doesn't have the same appeal.

We haven't actually gotten any further than the first three-ish cities and the most dangerous thing we've encountered (and it was for a mission) has been a hammerhead. A single hammerhead, that instantly penetrated the bottom of our sub before getting railgunned. So not very far at all! It does matter how deep you go, which is where the more dangerous stuff starts to appear and frankly even the basic stuff causes us issues sometimes still cause poo poo can get overwhelming real quick.

The important thing to note in campaign is while you can upgrade the sub you're in (better efficiency for various systems, tougher hull, etc), you can't actually modify them in any way to add new systems or stations. Instead, you can buy an entirely different sub from a list that get very expensive and can be much larger. They require a bigger crew to man comfortably, and of course each sub requires its own separate upgrades. The big thing is to try and find a sub you're comfortable with and then start upgrading the hull so it can dive deeper towards the core.

Basically just hop in and see how it goes! Learning the basics ain't too bad, don't be scared to get your feet wet. :getin:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Qubee posted:

I'll definitely join you all one of these days, but 3pm EST is 11pm in whatever timezone I'm in.

I reckon we can poke the crew and see if we can't start a bit earlier than 3 occasionally if you aren't up to staying awake super late! If you aren't in co-op goon discord yet see that link from one of my previous posts and see you on the sub!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Goonspeed with interviews and exams! Still recommend joining the discord as I post clips of silly and ridiculous poo poo that happens.

tuyop posted:

I love this game but I've never been able to commit to a crew. I am bad at multiplayer gaming :(

We're all bad if it makes you feel more comfortable joining us.

I'm currently stuck on mobile but if you aren't up to joining I'll totally type up some of our stories later! We don't have too many at the moment but that'll def get larger.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bit late but just wanted to post that the Barotrauma just got a big-ish new update! Creepier caves! Stacking items! Sub upgrades persist when swapping in campaign! Sweet new item graphics! You can sleep in beds and it actually does something! A metric boatload of bug fixes! Here's the full patch notes if you're interested in checking it yourself.

We're starting up a new campaign on a custom scout sub made by Damone if any new players want to join in, don't be shy! Feel free to join the co-op goon server, once you authenticate you can type !lfb to get the role and get pinged when we do game calls.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

And the custom sub can be downloaded in game when you join the server, so it's just a vanilla game. We haven't even hit 20%+ depths yet so we don't even know how crazy it can get in the deepest parts.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

man this game is great and ive been looking for a reason to get back into it since they added the caves. What time are you guys trying to play your campaign?

We generally play on Friday/Sunday around 2-3 pm EST. We've got some euro goons so typically it's the earlier the better for them.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pardon the double post but if you were ever interested in trying out Barotrauma but didn't want to drop the money on it, guess what?

Barotrauma is free to play for 48 hours starting today! Ends on Thursday March 25th at 1:30pm EDT.

Grab some friends or join goons and give the submarine life a try!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ruzihm posted:

got a friend to play for the free days and goodness this update owns.

It really does. So much loving easier to keep things organized. If ya ever want to haul friend along and join us don't be afraid too pop in. My dream is we eventually get a huge rear end crew for one of the bigger subs to go giving in deep depths with.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Evil Kit posted:

We're starting up a new campaign on a custom scout sub made by Damone if any new players want to join in, don't be shy! Feel free to join the co-op goon server, once you authenticate you can type !lfb to get the role and get pinged when we do game calls.

Mans posted:

You guys still playing this? I'd love to play with a larger crew.

Do you organize via Discord?

Click that hyperlink to join us in the Co-op Goon discord. Once you authenticate just type !lfb in a text chat channel to get the role and keep an ear out for when we organize games. We generally play once or twice a week.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gort posted:

How the gently caress do I manually control the reactor without it exploding

In a Dugong, for reference

Generally speaking unless you're in a high power draw combat situation you don't need to manually control it. If you have 30+ electrical skill you can just slap it on automatic and it'll be just fine, anything lower than that and the auto control will struggle a bit to regulate power with just a single Uranium Rod. It is also incredibly important to mention you hardly ever need or want any more than one fuel rod in the reactor. Some of the bigger subs need two rods for adequate power in normal and high stress situations though. Never put two Fulgarium Rods into a reactor unless you wanted to send it into meltdown immediately no matter what you do.

In terms of actual manual control. Generally you manipulate the slider under the left gauge until the needle is just slightly into the green part of the meter, then actively fiddle with the slider under the right gauge to keep the needle in the green zone on that side. Keep an eye on the heat meter on the far right and if that starts constantly blaring an alarm at you you need to move the slider under the left meter back to the left until it stops generating too much heat.

But really, you will hardly ever need to manually control the reactor. The person with the highest electrical skill should be one the to set the reactor to auto.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Evil Kit posted:

The good news is you don't have to be there every time, as long as your character doesn't die you keep any skill levels you gain! Feel free to hop in the Co-op discord and get verified, other co-op goon games happen here too. Once you're in and verified type !lfb somewhere to get the role so you get pinged when we start up a round.

Click the link in my quote above, we regularly play our campaign on the weekends around 3 est / 9 cest. Don't be afraid to jump in!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Big new update dropped, revamped alien ruins and added a TON of features, including talent trees for every job and a genetics system ala SS13.

You can, for instance, have mudraptor beak on your face that allows you to peck others. It is comedy gold.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/906673528001159209/I_heard_violence.mp4

Every major update keeps adding more and more cool poo poo to this game, it's getting kind of nuts.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The best things about this game is it has serious and tense moments, followed by comedy.

https://streamable.com/m07bcp

https://streamable.com/umjytd

Barotrauma good.

Kestral posted:

What has people's experience with the radiation wave been like? My co-op crew got caught in it, and it actually seemed to make the game dramatically easier: every monster that wasn't flagged for a mission was dead in the water, including fractal guardians in ruins, and the radiation damage has been negligible so far. We're just cruising through empty seas hoovering up loot, and it's frankly taken all the challenge out of the game. Is there something we're missing here?

We haven't let it catch up to us in our campaign and honestly that sounds kind of un-threatening. Might not be intended?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

In today's goon submarine campaign adventures: we had some relatively uneventful missions, made it to the Aphotic Plateau and took on a Pirate Sub Elimination mission. As we encountered them they were getting attacked by a Moloch and our nose got underneath them. Both subs promptly started to plummet into the abyss as we exchanged blows, where we ended up trapped on the floor underneath the pirate sub after eliminating the last pirate on board. We had to repair the pirate sub to get it off of ours all while a Charbydis lurked in the backround pinging us constantly. As we ascended it we started a battle with it as it finally located us. The result?

https://streamable.com/cqi8g5

Also just a general safety reminder not to carry chemicals that react to water in your pockets and then play in a ballast tank:

https://streamable.com/j6maxk

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I uh, I don't know how I feel about that? I guess it's an attempt to focus more of your attention on the task instead of being able to stay aware of what's going on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My experience with the game is the co-op campaign with no traitors so a bit limited on sabotaging is an understatement, but that just seems like an obvious traitor tell? "oh whoops guess I keep messing up haha" Yeah sure whatever traitor. Maybe if that QTE looked actually somewhat difficult I'd believe it, but that looks so stupidly simple you'd have to try to gently caress it up.

If they do roll it out and I get to try it that opinion might change of course. I like it on the level of adding something to focus on while repairing as a level of immersion though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cowcaster posted:

hey how do you loot a moloch after you kill it, we couldn't find the bit to grab

you have to swim practically all the way into the middle of it until you can see the [G]rab prompt pop up. It should roughly be in the middle of the giant meat ball under the shell, it can be a bit finicky.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

today our goon group finally beat the campaign. The final thing you do to move on to the final zone is to repair a sonar beacon station after killing a giant Endworm called the DOOMWORM .

Should be fine, right?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/932034824938598430/you_should_be_fine.mp4

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 16, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ichabod Tane posted:

im impressed. my gaming crew devolves like lord of the flies by mission 3 where I lock myself in the captains quarters with a revolver.

lol, the campaign is punishing enough we usually just focus on keeping the sub together, and there's enough emergent gameplay stuff even without crew members actively trying to sabotage. Our forever captain is also pretty good at keeping order, though he may break out of the role for the next campaign.

Now if it was one of the one off missions? Slap that traitor in and let's have some fun, I'd feel way more confident now traitoring it up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

anecdotally in our goon campaign our captain never seemed to struggle to stay ahead of the radiation. As long as you make sure you hit the breakpoints and keep moving forward it seems pretty easy to keep ahead of the game. You get pretty flush with resources after a bit and it's mostly a matter of completing missions so you can keep upgrading hull to go deeper along with other systems.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

went ahead and looked it up on the official wiki. To quite:

quote:

The radioactive area grows slowly from the left side of the map, based on time elapsed in game. It appears 5 rounds after the start of the campaign and advances by 0.5% of the map width per round, meaning it will cover the whole map in 205 rounds.

Once an Outpost is exposed to radiation for 10 rounds, it becomes an Abandoned Outpost.

I assume that a "round" is a mission or zone you pass through, but perhaps it's a set amount of time? The nomenclature on the wiki is a bit consistent but it seems like it's just based on transition zones and shouldn't be based on actual time played.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

we're starting up another campaign tomorrow in the co-op goons server if you want to join, we usually start around 2-2:30pm est.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

GruntyThrst posted:

Is that a discord or a dedicated server?

discord server, though it's the only goon discord I've seen that's gotten any kind of groups going for Barotrauma. Here's an invite if you're interested. We've got 7 people signed up and honestly the more the merrier, especially since our forever captain previous captain/host who has broken free of the shackles of captainhood has cooked up a number of custom subs, one of which is very, very large and requires all the hands it can get. We may also try a few mods out that add some variety to events and layouts, though we still haven't decided if we'll be using only the in-game communication or not yet this time.

If you do end up joining, I have the same name on discord that I do on the forums. We usually do Barotrauma chat in the survivial_and_simulation text channel.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 29, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Got this on sale, but the COOP Hoon discord seems kinda dead. Any goons still playing this?

E: I literally just got home, and haven't checked the discord yet so if there's a game going on right now, my bad lol

we generally play every other Saturday atm just because folks have a bunch of real life poo poo to do and/or are EU goons so we have to play earlier in the day EST. If you can get a campaign going in the week be my guest!

The devs are also hella awesome and have been putting in some mad work making the game better every major patch, it's honestly kind of impressive.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

if you aren't constantly overdrawing power and burning out relays for your engineers to fix as captain, are you really doing your job right?

no, unless you're also slamming back all the ethanol your crew uses to clean/craft and playing your harmonica as a swarm of aliens chases you

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Talorat posted:

Just started playing this in campaign mode with some friends, and it's really fun! Wild and chaotic though!

Couple questions:

Is there an easier way to see inside or outside the ship? I feel like there's a whole ocean world out there but it's so dark I can't see a drat thing. I see folks saying they found wrecks? How do you find them or even distinguish them from the normal environment?

Similarly, any way to add fabricators or deconstructors to ships? Or move guns around? The Dugong's default top gun can't hit the front of the ship and we keep having problems with crawlers trying to get in there.

As an engineer, is there a way to get a heads up when things are about to break or are broken? The oxygen generator broke and my entire crew suffocated while docked.

Answers:

-There's no easy way to see the outside from inside the ship without making use of radar, guns or a giant hole in your hull that you should probably be fixing. Wrecks are generally pretty obvious on radar, take a Wreck salvage mission or two and you'll quickly pick up on what they look like on radar when you approach the mission waypoint.

-There is no way to add fabricators or deconstructors to subs mid game. If you want to get up to sub editing (be warned, this is A LOT of effort, requires balancing power, wiring, find/making space etc) you can edit the vanilla subs or make your own sub, but you will have to buy the custom sub as an entirely separate sub in the campaign and will no longer be able to edit it further. As for weapons, some vanilla subs come pre-equipped with only one or two guns and have additional hardpoints for adding more, the Dugong is not one of those however. You cannot move those hardpoints yourself, what you see on the sub is what you get. You can now change the guns out for the different turret types by buying them from a sub upgrade vendor at an outpost, but you're probably better off just saving up for a new sub.

-Yes there is, but it's probably locked behind a talent in one of the engineer trees. I don't remember if it's electrical, mechanical or both engineer types that get it. Some subs also come with status monitors that have a tab that lets you view the damage to all the bits and bobs on the ship, including hulls.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

also never forget to stun baton, handcuff, tranq or slap your clown. They probably definitely deserve it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Sab Sabbington posted:

As a Clown Main(TM) I am deeply offended--if I'm handcuffed how am I supposed to sprint around the ship obnoxiously honking my horn so that everyone constantly has a buff to their XP gains???

Straight up though don't sleep on the spec if you always want something to do, Clown looks like (and obviously is) a joke tree for Assistant but I'm also convinced it's straight up one of the best ones in the game. Absurd utility, exceptionally tanky, and most importantly never needs a diving suit.

You're wearing clown shoes that's basically a second bike horn.

Jokes aside the clown tree is incredibly powerful and probably the single strongest tree in a vacuum imo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Iymarra posted:

So I've started a singleplayer campaign but there's no way of like, saving the characters created for use in a future game (like Jim, Bob and Tim all die, start a fresh game and load templates for Jim, Bob and Tim) unless there's something I'm missing
Also, is there no way to pick an alternate starting uniform/equipment like you can if you host a multiplayer game and add AI/bots?
Is there any difference between singleplayer campaign with bots vs multiplayer campaign save with bots only, hosted as a private server and password locked, in terms of getting achievements?

For the latter question no, you can get any achievements in singleplayer or multiplayer.

As for alternative kits for jobs I've never really messed around with singleplayer but I'd be surprised if there was genuinely no way to pick from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

For the security officer on your sub. They know who they are.