Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Are the roles not really as specialized as I've been assuming? I feel like as a mechanic or electrician there nothing for me to do unless somethings broken. Should I be shooting/diving for stuff during the calm moments?

Pretty much. Before perks came in there was basically no difference after enough play time and at least with my group everyone did a little bit of everything. All skills are useable in most cases at low levels and train up pretty quick. Having extremely high piloting was/is almost a liability because the sub engine would spool up so fast it'd blow junction boxes. The only hard locks on doing stuff were on crafting things, but crafting was more nice to do than necessary.

Now role are more defined by their available perks than anything else. You can still crosstrain pretty much everything and most medical, shooting, and piloting activities are fine at low skill levels.

Crasical posted:

Started playing this recently. Game is fun.

playing with friends in campaign mode, I was captain-ing and then missed a session, where another player made a captain, and the next time I was able to play It auto-assigned me as an Assistant, since you can only have a single of the Captain job. I wouldn't mind so much except it took away my stupid roleplay name away and just named me after my steam name and I have no idea how to reset that.

That suuucks. Campaigns have always been kinda iffy with character progression but I'm pretty sure I've had two captains before without one of the captains losing their character. Usually you should only get a new character if you specifically pick another class before launching the save.

If you want your roleplay name/face back I think you just need to make a new character in the server lobby before the campaign save loads. Just change your class in that screen and you should get to enter your name and stuff. Saves are also manually editable but I believe all the character data is kept with whoever is hosting the lobby so they'd have to do it. Could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU