Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey how do you loot a moloch after you kill it, we couldn't find the bit to grab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

thx

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so i'm our ship's engineer and i was planning on taking the college athletics talent because a bunch of health/mobility bonuses plus a cargo scooter you can cram items in? yes please. but then i actually looked it up and you can't park the cargo scooter in your inventory like a regular one and it takes two hands, which means that in order to do anything with tools/weapons you'd need to drop it in the middle of the ocean, and all of a sudden that sounds a lot less useful and polymath starts sounding a lot nicer. is the health penalty from polymath that bad? the skill bonuses sound ok because i'm playing with a small group of 4-5 so more coverage is nice but at the end of the day the predominant use of them just seem to be how fast you can manufacture stuff in the fabricator

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 15, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh perfect that's exactly what i wanted to know, i figured it'd immediately plummet to the ocean floor

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there a way to tell how far the jovian radiation belt is going to advance on the start of the next mission? our host swears up and down that he's watching the map and choosing missions and destinations that keep us ahead of the radiation, but all 3-4 of the campaigns we've started have ended with the entire crew getting microwaved to death. part of our group is vehemently against turning it off because they like the ticking clock element, but the rest of our group is sick of starting a run from level 1 every 5 or so missions in we get. if there's some way to just know exactly where the radiation is going to be and definitively stay ahead of it, then it would be a non-issue, but apparently there isn't? i'm not ruling out our host not reading the map right

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 28, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so if we spend an hour on a mission scraping through by the skin of our teeth we're actually worse off than if we just say "welp this one's hosed, start over" five minutes in? because that explains a few things. and also sucks poo poo because saving a doomed mission from the brink is the funnest thing you can do in this game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well if it's based on in game time then the onus is on our team for spending the first thirteen hours of every new round doing inventory management, in addition to the many body recovery missions we go on when someone dies in an alien ruin and loses All Our Good poo poo. but there's also plenty of instances where we skip alien ruins/wrecks/poo poo entirely because "it feels like this round is taking too long". the point of contention really isn't that any of our crew minds ticking clocks, or having to restart a dead campaign from scratch, it's that the clock display seems to be inconsistent and no one knows how fast it's ticking until "whoops you're all glow in the dark now, restart the run".

i'm definitely going to start keeping one eye on the map before our host picks missions now, part of the reason this is so frustrating is i haven't been doing that so i have no frame of reference how hard it actually is to tell where the radiation is, and he's definitely the kind of person who would click buttons before reading instructions. but he's also sworn up and down after the first time we got roasted that he's been keeping an eye on the radiation and staying ahead of it, and i trust him enough not to be lying about that, which makes the subsequent times getting grilled to perfection all the more annoying because there's been no indication we were behind the 8 ball at any point

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ironically i had just gotten the talent for the pucs and built one just before the wave overtook us and cooked everyone else while i was fine on this last run