Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Varkas posted:

Here's an updated video I just did on taking out the MC-75 shield gens with a tie-bomber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79sa__MynUY

It assumes you're familiar with "boost skipping" which is a new thing to some of us. You basically engage boost, drift, and then boost again within 0.5 seconds before the engine energy decay kicks in.

I might need to rebind boost to something other than clicking a stick to get boost drifting to work, then? Any advice on practicing it?

e: it looks like you double-click boost about every half second or so? To start the boost, to drift, and then to boost again a half second later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Arcturas posted:

I might need to rebind boost to something other than clicking a stick to get boost drifting to work, then? Any advice on practicing it?

e: it looks like you double-click boost about every half second or so? To start the boost, to drift, and then to boost again a half second later?

Left trigger is what I use and I strongly prefer it to stick click

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Arcturas posted:

Yup, you got it. You want to be engaging boost a bit under a half second.

I'm a stick user, but I setup some binds that are tied to to the keyboard actions for boost and drift. This way I avoid the comboness of the flight stick version, and I find it easier to manage this way when they're on distinct inputs.

The best way to do this is to use some fancy macro stuff. I set this up in Joystick Gremlin so that I just hold down a single button and it repeats the macro until I release the button.

This leads to some totally fair and not overpowered mobility with the Tie-Defender: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BJ61Y2qtBE

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

thread is dead but i still like to dogfight here and there. just got back from a hiatus and suddenly B-wings and defenders. i hosed with the defender a bit. seems like it could be neat if played right.

is a b-wing just a death trap liability in dogfight i feel like ive not seen hardly any in 10 or so matches

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.
just depends on the number of inexperienced pilots you can take advantage of. A surprise bwing is a bit like bastion if you play overwatch

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Tried dipping my toe back in since new stat adjustments dropped. It's disappointing knowing that the energy and boost glitches won't ever be fixed, but they have made a decent effort with the database stat changes. I had a fun time with both factions.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
this was just given out this month for Playstation Plus, so it's probably as good a time to get back into it as any

I've already seen a decent amount of newbies in dogfight

Fleet battles are still terrible

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Lol what a sell in that post

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ive had my head shoved up my rear end in elite for awhile i wonder how this game would play at this point

probably less infuriating atm

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm still so loving excited to live out my X-Wing fighter pilot dreams with this game which I own but am waiting for a set of VR goggles and joystick that apparently will never actually be available for purchase

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

morallyobjected posted:

this was just given out this month for Playstation Plus, so it's probably as good a time to get back into it as any

I've already seen a decent amount of newbies in dogfight

Fleet battles are still terrible

I like fleet battles. :colbert:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

Lol what a sell in that post

I love dogfight and it has been easily one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in the past two generations. but fleet battles are trash and no one will convince me otherwise

Xenomrph posted:

I like fleet battles. :colbert:

I don't like your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to have it

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 6, 2021

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

I love dogfight and it has been easily one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in the past two generations. but fleet battles are trash and no one will convince me otherwise
I don't like your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to have it

In the higher level of play, it's generally not worth to focus too much on killing players in Fleet Battles because everybody is just pinballing around so much with "boost skipping" and "boost gasping" techniques (and others as well). So it's more about who focuses objectives faster than the other team, instead of the intuitive approach of trying to actually kill players.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 6, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I loved this game but I want more campaign.

I really feel they miscalculated how much they could have continued this and monetized it for mad profit.

Such as campaign packs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'd really enjoy co-op campaign. Wanna play with my brothers but they're all terrible at the game and get smoked by online players, being able to play on easy against AI and have actual objectives and roles to play would really help

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

I'd really enjoy co-op campaign. Wanna play with my brothers but they're all terrible at the game and get smoked by online players, being able to play on easy against AI and have actual objectives and roles to play would really help

Yeah, the closest you can do is Fleet Battles vs AI, but a legit co-op campaign mode would be neat.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dialhforhero posted:

I loved this game but I want more campaign.

I really feel they miscalculated how much they could have continued this and monetized it for mad profit.

Such as campaign packs.

except for the game being mostly good and fun, this is most star wars games for awhile and probably all EA star wars games ever

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
This and Jedi: Fallen Order were loving great and I just hope we see more of this kind of content.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope Squadrons gets a full sized sequel. Multi-era, full campaign, followup with the lovely friends from Vanguard squadron...and let me fly more missions alongside Wedge

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If the private game mode allowed Dogfight and Fleet Battles with a set number of AI players (or at least filling out all empty team slots with AI), I'd be so happy. I have some friends who are awful, but it'd still be fun to do 3v3 dogfights or Fleet Battles against AI.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am the awful friend everyone is complaining about.

Doesn't help that I can't seem to calibrate out the drift on the throttle lever I'm using for yaw control.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am the awful friend everyone is complaining about.

Doesn't help that I can't seem to calibrate out the drift on the throttle lever I'm using for yaw control.

This means your throttle is hosed.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
did they ever make fleet battle AI not ridiculously difficult? like even on easy back when it first came out every match I ever played we got pretty much swept

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t want to be all “git gud” but I never had a problem in fleet battles vs AI.

THAT SAID they do cheat and use hitscan weapons, which is some bullshit.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I remember having to put some actual effort into the AI fleet battles. They would utterly roll you if you didn’t come in expecting a good fight.

The first one I tried was definitely a humbling experience.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this talk of people losing to the AI has sealed teh deal on me setting up my binds again for this game lmao

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Anybody getting into this on PS Plus: if you feel like it's sort of humdrum, you should be playing on Ace difficulty, you should bind Boost/drift to L2 (and put countermeasures on L3 click and target on circle, or whatever works. Just get boost on L2), and you should spend 20 minutes looking into power management best practices*. I didn't realize this game was amazing and exactly what I wanted until I was forced to know how the tools I had worked.

*as I understand it: top up shields first, switch to engines to approach, top up lasers a moment before a fight, switch back to engines for the duration of combat (and top up lasers again if you're feeling good about things). Don't switch to shields midfight because they stop recharging for a second on hit. Bug out whenever you run out of laser power and your targets aren't dead yet. For imperials, keep power on engines and shunt to lasers as needed. I'm sure the veterans have better advice than me, tho!

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

heckyeahpathy posted:

Anybody getting into this on PS Plus: if you feel like it's sort of humdrum, you should be playing on Ace difficulty, you should bind Boost/drift to L2 (and put countermeasures on L3 click and target on circle, or whatever works. Just get boost on L2), and you should spend 20 minutes looking into power management best practices*. I didn't realize this game was amazing and exactly what I wanted until I was forced to know how the tools I had worked.

*as I understand it: top up shields first, switch to engines to approach, top up lasers a moment before a fight, switch back to engines for the duration of combat (and top up lasers again if you're feeling good about things). Don't switch to shields midfight because they stop recharging for a second on hit. Bug out whenever you run out of laser power and your targets aren't dead yet. For imperials, keep power on engines and shunt to lasers as needed. I'm sure the veterans have better advice than me, tho!

You've got it for the most part, but you do want to switch to shields mid-fight, just not immediately after you took a hit. Note that this only applies if you had any pips in shields *while you took a hit*; so if you keep 0 pips in shields while you're actively taking hits, you can switch to shields to immediately start charging them. This is known as "Shield Skipping" and it's not really clear if the devs intended this or not (probably not, but it's in the game, so hey).

For game breaking power management mechanics that will make you pro-tier (note that these aren't quite as effective as shown in these videos, after some nerfs):
Boost Skipping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zV_TN0LbI Boost, immediately drift, wait 1/2 second, repeat. Doing this properly means you're only losing engine energy from the activation cost, and never from the drain associated from holding a boost. In most ships (not the B-Wing), this will grant you a higher average speed from when trying to move across the map while also making yourself a harder target.

Boost Gasping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKIzDxcmUy4 Similar to boost skipping, but you charge another subsystem briefly, switch to engines before the engine energy decay kicks in, charge it for about 1.5 - 3 seconds, then repeat. You can do this indefinitely in ships like the Tie-Defender and X-Wing (with Jet Engines). This is the preferred way to "pinball" around and keep yourself alive as a very hard target.

Shunt Charging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wva0cQG0YSw For shunting ships, you basically shunt to engines just long enough to boost and drift, then immediately shunt back to weapons, while keeping your pips in weapons the entire time. With this method you can boost/drift pretty much indefinitely with the Tie-Interceptor and Tie-Fighter.

The last main technique everyone should be aware of is the Dead Drift, where you boost/drift while having 0 pips in engines. This allows you shoot at a direction other than your heading and for very long times in some ships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C97DeO5TX0

There's also one more that's also only available to PC players, where you can change your drift direction again by using a dedicated drift key binding. You do this while in a drift by releasing and re-initiating your drift very quickly.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 8, 2021

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Varkas posted:

For game breaking power management mechanics that will make you pro-tier

These are are very cool to know, but I think I'll stay low-ranked enough where I don't absolutely NEED to use them, thank you very much! (except shunt charging that seems VERY good)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

heckyeahpathy posted:

These are are very cool to know, but I think I'll stay low-ranked enough where I don't absolutely NEED to use them, thank you very much! (except shunt charging that seems VERY good)

C u in dogfight

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Varkas posted:

this poo poo

is why I stopped playing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I will say that “boost gasping” is the dumbest loving name for anything ever and sounds entirely made up.

I, too, employ shunt twinkling when I fly in my Defender.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Madurai posted:

is why I stopped playing.

Don't blame ya. I'd also prefer that we didn't have these unintuitive boost/power mechanics, but it's what we're stuck with since the devs have moved on and will no longer do anything beyond server side patches, which can't actually get at many of the core problems.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the nuances of the flight model are what make the game worth playing to me tbh. i do understand it plays differently than it did in 93, but this game was always effectively slated as COD MP but in space i think?

its extremely twitchy in a specific way. and i feel simultaneously bad for those that dont enjoy it but i genuinely really do.

i feel like im literally all talk and no game right now- i want to play this but I'm waiting on the last piece of my flight sim gear (for a different game) to arrive and if I'm gonna redo my bindings, they gonna get done all at once.

last night i pulled a lever and went into hyperspace in elite dangerous and that was prettttty fuckin neat

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Varkas posted:

it's what we're stuck with since the devs have moved on

Which is why I stopped playing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Varkas posted:

but it's what we're stuck with since the devs have moved on and will no longer do anything beyond server side patches, which can't actually get at many of the core problems.

I mean, it's an EA game based on the frostbite engine, this was inevitable. Classic pump and dump.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I mean, it's an EA game based on the frostbite engine, this was inevitable. Classic pump and dump.

Not to defend EA, but the game was never one of the frontline full-price titles. It was the devs pet project that managed to get sold. It massively outsold its expectations and hopefully showed that there is a market for Star Wars games beyond the tired Jedi/force inanity.

There have been rumors to a full featured sequel to Squadrons, possibly involving Rogue Squadron, which given its performance is likely.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

AFAIK theres also a rogue squadron TV show coming sooo

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Statutory Ape posted:

AFAIK theres also a rogue squadron TV show coming sooo

Movie. Directed by Patty Jenkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bLkTjn6Y_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Without the power management this would be a horrible game of just circle turning into each other's six. This is what happens in Battlefront 2 and it's horrible.

For space battles you don't have the traditional energy management of WW2 dogfighting (of literally using gravity boosts) so they replaced it with literal energy management. Great idea and props to 'em, this game rules.