Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

I actually forgot Pearl gets this many details on her before she arrives.

Ooh, spicy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Wouldn’t be a true office game without drama caused by someone getting a job someone else wanted. I reckon Pearl will stir things up a bit.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm kind of expecting Pearl to be stressed just by Denise giving her tasks. SHE was supposed to be the one giving orders to people, not following them!

e: Also any time Denise makes even the slightest mistake or inefficient choice. SHE knows the employees around here, unlike this first-timer hired from nowhere!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You can buy stroganoff as a microwave meal. It's actually pretty good compared to some other meals, though it's not amazing.
This image is prettified but not entirely misleading.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
You can get decent microwavable stroganoff with rice too, the type where you poke holes in with a fork and add water.

This game looks quite fun, I've never heard of it before, nor the series it's from. I like how it presents itself. I might give it a go after I've finished my current game providing it's still available.

As for Pearl- Mahavir said that she mightn't like the new manager, and Tara's complained about her laziness. I kind of imagine her to be a diva, maybe she's a character who works hard but gets stressed really easily. Or maybe she'll just be a terrible character who works as an obstacle rather than being helpful.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Wow, this is a blast from the past. Remember playing this back in college when I was stuck sick for a while. I don't remember much (can't recall what Pearl's deal actually is), but I'm pretty sure I remember exactly where and why I stopped:

LPFinale posted:

They actually have the same Work Rate on Art Tasks, it's just that Timothy has an insane Stress modifier for them, highest in the game for any Employee!

You don't say.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Nick Buntline posted:

Wow, this is a blast from the past. Remember playing this back in college when I was stuck sick for a while. I don't remember much (can't recall what Pearl's deal actually is), but I'm pretty sure I remember exactly where and why I stopped:

You don't say.

... What I'm getting from this is that, at some point, you're given a task that is 'get Timothy to do a bunch of Art Tasks'.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

NAME REDACTED posted:

... What I'm getting from this is that, at some point, you're given a task that is 'get Timothy to do a bunch of Art Tasks'.

I believe they call that "playing against type".

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm betting there's going to be a personal objective to make Timothy and Tara date. Denise seems like the kind to play Office Matchmaker.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
Episode 3: Gameplay Update, "Shy Savior"

:siren:Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WScpycwn4rk

The start of a brand new day at the office :sun::coffee:

Now, that's a lot more Goals than we've seen so far. You might be thinking we can't get all of that and the Optional Goals done in one day.

Oh, we'll see about that.

Ah, Tara. I don't think there's a single point in this game where I'm not glad to have her around. Believe it or not, being good with Art Tasks is... kinda rare. Well, not rare, but they're a polarizing Task type. Most Employees either have above-average skill with them or can't stand them, split pretty evenly down the middle. Tara, on the other hand, handles them really well.

We're not going to meet anyone who handles these things as well as Tara. They'll come close, but they'll be a point or two of Work Rate short. And despite how the rest of her spread looks, under the surface, it's not terrible; not recommended, but she can fill in for others in a pinch.

We don't have access to her Whiteboard yet, and the Couch isn't usable for her right now, but this'll help demonstrate the effect of those Markers... oh, and considering what's in her "DISLIKES" section, you can probably guess what kind of Goals she'll often be stuck with in the future.

Most of the time, getting stressed while talking to someone is the result of a modifier set for that Episode, related to a Goal. However, Tara slowly gains Stress just from being at the Water Cooler with anyone besides Denise, and that's before Stress from Episode Goal modifiers kick in. This will be recurring in the future and always an issue to deal with.

The Deluxe Marker, aka the reason we're not pumping these people full of Coffee 24/7. It's a bank-buster at this point at $15, but it's basically a near full reset of Tara's Stress, roughly 90 Stress Reduction. That's what the code said, at least, but I'm wondering if it's actually 60, which is still a good chunk but not enough to be considered a Stress reset. I'll keep an eye on it in the future and eventually run a test.

This will also be a rather common thing: Goals that restrict the usage of our petty cash. They're super pricey, but Tara loves them and will often have Goals to get a few of them. Though, considering trying to build up $30 of petty cash when all we're being handed is 2-Bar Tasks would be miserable, it's a good thing they opted to start us off with $26 instead of the usual $6.

On another note, I don't think I've properly demonstrated just how fast Timothy and Tara can work on their respective specializations, so... time to whip out a classic yet again.

Compared to:

Like I said, Tara will be invaluable to keeping this place afloat, especially since Mahavir wasn't kidding when he said the Central Office is sending down a lot of Art Tasks today.

This probably isn't an inaccurate depiction of their office even before we arrived, minus a person or two. Anyways, I'm heading to OfficeTown to grab the Deluxe Markers.

...or rather, one of the Deluxe Markers because I entered the elevator just barely too soon. We'll hop back in once Timothy finishes that Financial Task in less than a second.

Now, to demonstrate what a Deluxe Marker can do for Tara aside from keeping me away from precious Coffee...

Whatever the amount of Stress that lowers, it's significant.

Just inching closer to everyone's Goals being done. All of them are in progress, and all of them seem feasible to finish today, depending on what the Optional Goals are.

Considering Tara's already done with 5 Art Tasks, Mahavir really wasn't kidding about Central sending down a ton of them; Timothy's not even halfway done with the Financial Tasks.

And with Mahavir done with his nap, we can finally get the others to relax a bit. Still, I wonder what sort of devious addition that Optional Goal could be...

Well, there it is. Seems Mahavir wants... something kinda minor. Perhaps the Optional Goals aren't much to worry about, after all.

Nooooope, somehow even easier than everything else.

Commence the feeding!

Funnily enough, we've got two Goals completed at once. Two Morale Boosts is basically enough to calm down anyone in the office unless they're constantly at a heavy Stress modifier due to whatever's going on.

And if the clock didn't make it clear, it took a while to wait for our last Financial Task of the day.

Any other Goals to surprise us with...?

...nope! :toot:

And like that, it continues. I can hardly wait to get more people in here, it was almost getting hard to find stuff to really talk about at points, though it was just our introductory Episode to Tara.

Next time, we see how things go down in the office with these three getting settled in again. See you then.

Goal Writeup

Time Per Day: 140 Seconds

Required Goals
  • "Hang out in the kitchen making beef stroganoff. (60 Seconds)"
  • "Complete at least five financial tasks. (5 Financial Tasks)"
  • "Take a nap on the couch. (60 Seconds)" Unlocks Optional Goal #1
  • "Get two deluxe markers from OfficeTown. (2 Deluxe Markers)"
  • "Timothy wants Tara to do at least five art tasks. (5 Art Tasks)"

Optional Goals
  • "Eat two donuts in one day. (2 Donuts, One Day Rush)"

LPFinale fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 24, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, Mahavir is... he's that guy who never shows up to group project meetings in school, huh.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Quackles posted:

Wow, Mahavir is... he's that guy who never shows up to group project meetings in school, huh.

This

I love this

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Is Denise allowed to fire people? At the very least she should be able to complain to her boss about this, right?

... Has she even met her boss??

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I haven't seen Parks and Rec but from what I've heard about it, Mahavir seems similar to Aziz Ansari's character on it?

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
Episode 4: Story Update

Got a rather short one here, so figured I'd put it up tonight.

Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlNvBiy4b8

It was only a matter of time before these three had some unresolved stuff left over from before we arrived here.

And it was also only a matter of time before Tara was made to talk to people at the Water Cooler as part of Goals. :ohdear:

Oh yeah. You can tell this won't get weird at all.

Seems we're walking in on something awkward. Also, Mahavir, I believe the term you're looking for is "cinnamon roll."

Um... I don't think... um...
But you must understand, I cannot neglect my existing commitments! I have long been in pursuit of... other prey!

:catstare:

Okay, Mahavir, I know you love your fancy prose an' all that, but sometimes the simpler words have better connotations.

Don't you ever think about anything besides... you know... um...

I mean, it is an amazing lavender sweater. I wish I had one of those, high fluffy collar and all.

But Tara shall be mine! Soon... we will DATE.

...oh. So that's the actual endgame, huh? I bet you a half-dozen Donuts your follow-up plan is hand-holding, if that's what you're going for.

I just need a little time to chat her up at the water cooler...
This conversation is specifically prohibited in the Employee Handbook, I'm sure of it!

I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be surprised if Denise ever got a copy with how this hiring process has proceeded.

Perhaps we can interject now that one of them's forcefully ejected themselves from the topic.

Oh, so you're interested in Tara, eh?
Denise. Liebchen! My little cucumber.

Oh boy :munch:

Mahavir.
Do not be angry because my heart wanders...
Mahavir!

Huh. Making use of that position of authority, I see. We may make a fully-functioning manager out of her first job ever yet.

But you don't understand. I am here to flirt with EVERYONE.

The love of Mahavir knows no boundaries!

Hmm? So does that mean the nicknames were...? :monocle:

Except, well, I can't stand the smell of that stroganoff stuff. So no.

Aww. That might've been interesting. Maybe later? Nope, though in all fairness, I wouldn't call the rest of the male cast relationship material. Two of them make pretty alright friends, at least.

Denise, you know we have to do our jobs, right? We're going to get in trouble with all this... slacking off!
Oh, I know...

And doing a shockingly good job. Seriously.

No wonder she absolutely crushes Art Tasks.

Sure, it's fine for her to take a break and relax that way, but...
Sometimes... sometimes she's not even at her desk to do those... terrifying... art tasks when they come in!

Guy's been traumatized by Powerpoint and Photoshop. It's to the point where it doesn't even matter that the Whiteboard is right next to Tara's desk, it's still nerve-wracking to see her off doing something else.

You've got to get him to do some work today! I can't take it anymore!

Well, now that you've brought it up, hopefully it'll be in our list of Goals...

I get the feeling she's rather familiar with how things have been handled in this office, huh.

...as is Mahavir. :geno:

Next time, we see if we can keep this all under control while simultaneously indulging everyone. See you then.

LPFinale fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 24, 2020

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Man Mahavir why you gotta force people to speak to you. Leave Tara alone to draw her doujin on the whiteboard!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You're on thin ice Mahavir, keep this up and you'll get a facefull of boiling hot strognoff!

(We really need an Angry Police Chief™ smilie)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Don't refer to women as 'prey', Mahavir, you're creating a hostile work environment. Really though, seems like the company or state should pay him to stay home what with him always putting in the bare minimum effort possible for assigned tasks and stressing out the more valuable employees.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well he is terrific at holding the couch down.
And probably flirting with it as well.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mercenarynuker posted:

Might be leftovers. Cuz beef stroganoff is fukkin good
I reheated leftover Hamburger Helper stroganoff many a time when working overnights at Target. However, that was in a break room with good air circulation and an area people are just in for 30 minutes at a time, not an office where people are there all day.

And it wasn't fish. I don't know why or how microwaving fish makes such a vile smell, but it does.

I'm going to follow this game because it's cute and fun and I am bad at time management games like this. The metaphor is spinning plates is apt, and I'm just left standing in a pile of broken glass with these games. So many burgers wrongly made, so many ice cream cones of the wrong flavor, lost in time, like tears in rain.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh dear. HR’s not going to like this at all.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Back when I played this game, I had no idea what anime was (to be fair, I was a pretty young kid at the time). So I thought Tara's drawings were as weird as Timothy said they were.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

HR? At this company? Are you referring to that stale half eaten 🍩 by the bathroom?

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

This office looks like its entrance is on an alleyway, there is no way this place has an HR. For all we know its a shell company in some tax haven.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quackles posted:

I've thought about LPing Chocolatier 2 before, but couldn't figure out a good format.

I went through a phase for a while where I played a bunch of these Big Fish kinda games, and Chocolatier is definitely one of the ones I remember most fondly. Playing it always got me really hungry. (My other fave is Miriel the Magical Merchant, if anyone's familiar with that one!)

I've never even heard of Miss Management though, so this'll be fun to follow.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
Episode 4: Gameplay Update, "Oh Yes... She Will Be Mine!"

:siren:Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7a3aKD-iI8

Here we go again, this time with more complex tricks to show off :sun::coffee:

Hmm, no Goal for Mahavir to do work... yet. We'll keep an eye out for it.

Now, you may remember we had 3 Days to get all this done for the 3-Star Rating. I know we've been crushing it so far by 1-Day Rushing things, but I'll tell ya right now, that Goal with the Deluxe Markers makes that outright impossible, in addition to the Optional Goals we're unable to see right now. We're gonna be getting 3-Bar Tasks in on occasion for a better cash flow than yesterday, but it'll still take more than a day to earn enough for 2 Deluxe Markers.

As for the deal with balancing Tara's Whiteboard time and dealing with Mahavir at the Water Cooler...

This is how the Episode starts. Positions at various relaxation spots are only applicable for the first Day of an Episode to be consistent with the Intro, but these Stress levels? They'll reset to this value at the start of each Day. Thankfully, Tara's Whiteboard is pretty great; each Employee's favorite place to relax can have a different Stress modifier each Episode, fine-tuned for the sake of difficulty so they can either relax in a timely manner or withstand a silly amount of things they hate in some circumstances.

Notably, Tara's Whiteboard pretty consistently lets her relax at around this rate or slightly more at any point it's available to her, and only Mahavir napping on his Couch can bother her while she's here, so she can calm down pretty fast after being stressed out.

While Tara gets rid of that initial Stress, I have Mahavir start on this Task. You might think this is a bit of a waste since Timothy's the one who needs to work on Tasks, but I have something to show off.

Remember that time Mahavir had a 0-Bar Task on his desk when we handed him a Donut in the tutorial? Well, if we send him away, either to the Water Cooler or his Couch in the middle of working on a Task...

...he's forced to leave behind the nearly-complete Task, allowing us to take it and put it on Timothy's desk for completion.

And since Task Goals only care about who completes the Task, this fully counts.

Oh and, uh, yeah, remember when I showed off how Tara gets slowly stressed by talking to people at the Water Cooler? Well, when it's a Goal in the Episode for someone to talk to her...

It stresses her out even faster. Unfortunately for Tara, this will be a recurring issue since it makes for an easy way to put pressure on the majority of the office, stressing Tara and anyone who dislikes people being at the Water Cooler in addition to pulling the conversation partner away from Tasks.

Thankfully, it's very manageable here despite having no one who falls outside those categories yet. We can afford to let that Art Task be overdue until Mahavir's Goal is halfway through, since pretty soon, we'll need to get Tara to go take a break anyway, splitting the talking Goal into two halves.

Like so.

I have Mahavir polish off that pile of Art Tasks, but leave the last one nearly finished for Timothy so he can get credit for it without gaining much Stress from the disadvantageous Task type.

And after sending Tara back from her break to finish off this Goal, we see what Employees look like when they're nearly at their breaking point; this is where those expressions get used in gameplay. I send Timothy to relax and hold off a Stress Meltdown at the Microwave after this.

Also it's kinda funny (and important for clarity) that their animations get overridden by this Danger state :v:

Notice how relatively calm Timothy is after that Goal was finished. Morale Boosts are powerful things, and we'll be taking full advantage of them as we go.

Ah, there's that Goal. I get a feeling I know what that one says.

Back to work!

With that on our minds, we polish off Tara's Goal at the Whiteboard...

...and Timothy's Goal thanks to some Financial Tasks that came in.

I use the last second of the day to grab this Deluxe Marker to save a bit of time tomorrow; Timothy's Goal should be rather self-explanatory since it's lit up right now, and you'll be able to see what it is soon, anyway.

And thus, we have our first full Day of work in Miss Management, at which point all Tasks that aren't completed are wiped away, and Stress amounts get reset to what they're set to start as each Day in the Episode.

We get a little break to review all the Goals we know of each morning, as well as the usual stuff like our current petty cash and Day.

Handed Tara that Deluxe Marker to deal with that chunk of Stress she starts each day of this Episode with, then got to work on our current Goals.

We take advantage of the Task Tango to leave this Task done mostly by Tara on Mahavir's desk for when he gets back from napping off the Stress of working while having his desk right next to the microwave.

Ah, right, I should mention... not only can Tara do this for the Art Tasks, she can also do it for short Financial and Technical Tasks. She's actually not the worst at them despite the downward arrows for them on her desk.

Hmm... now where have I seen that sort of rate of work before...

HMMMMMM...

Anyways, another round of the File Fandango gives Mahavir super short Tasks to finish when he's thoroughly relaxed.

Basically imagine this happening for a decent chunk of the day.

Well, that plus a handy Morale Boost for when Timothy finally finishes with his stroganoff.

Grabbing the other Deluxe Marker to finish things soon. OfficeTown charges an arm and a leg for these things.

And a one, and...

...an interruption, and...

...a two! And we're all done for the day, despite the efforts to throw a wrench into our gameplans with the new Goals.

And all in 2 Days out of 3. Classy.

Next time, we might just meet someone new. See you then.

Goal Writeup

Time Per Day: 140 Seconds

Required Goals

• "Chat Tara up at the water cooler. (45 Seconds)" Unlocks Optional Goal #1
  • "Doodle on the whiteboard. (45 Seconds)"
  • "Get two deluxe markers from OfficeTown. (2 Deluxe Markers)"
  • "Complete ten tasks (of any kind). (10 Tasks)" Unlocks Optional Goal #2

Optional Goals

• "Timothy's sick of Mahavir chatting all day and wants him to do ten tasks (of any kind). (10 Tasks)"
  • "Hang out in the kitchen making beef stroganoff. (90 Seconds)"

LPFinale fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 24, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

Hmm, no Goal for Mahavir to do work... yet. We'll keep an eye out for it.

It finally happened!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Actually, the Pearl discussion makes me realize there is something I could ask:

Which of the people we haven't met yet do you think Pearl is?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Junpei posted:

Hmm. Pearl is an old-person name. I think it's going to be the old woman.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm guessing back-right. There's a certain belligerence about that look.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The redhead with the pearl earring and the dog.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Most to least likely:

1. Ms. Bun behind Tara.
2. Mrs. Shades and Newspaper in the back-right.
3. Madam Poochiekins behind Timothy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Mahavir appears to sleep on his elbows and knees with his rear end in the air.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The dog.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
Watching people try to get a read on the title screen characters is like :munch:

I live for this

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

LPFinale posted:

Watching people try to get a read on the title screen characters is like :munch:

I live for this
Indeed.

I've played the game in the past and I know everyone, so I'll refrain from telling who is who as per the spoiler policy.

Pass the popcorn. :munch:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The bun-and-Dexter-glasses has to be Pearl. Final answer.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Junpei posted:

Actually, the Pearl discussion makes me realize there is something I could ask:

If Steven Universe has taught me anything, it's the woman with the nose.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

McGavin posted:

The redhead with the pearl earring and the dog.

Yeah, I second this guess cause of the literal pearl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Wait, I'm going to change my vote. There's a guy who is super tall, reading the 'Company Manual' while eyeing Denise suspiciously. I'm betting that's Pearl.