Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

White Rock posted:

Also i couldn't find the mention of the term limits.

Anyway i don't see how a a random selection of people is in any way grift friendly, in fact a random selection is the least grift friendly system there is.

Jury democracy has the same issue that having strict term limits does: the representatives are so inexperienced that they are inadequate to their role and heavily reliant on outside expertise. Either they are rubber-stamping an inefficient technocracy or they become mouthpieces for corporate and political interests. It's extremely grifty.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Desdinova posted:

How about having the experts post their views and recommendations to a public forum where those interested debate and vote on it, rather than the potentially much more easily corruptable politicians? You can't bribe everybody, right?

Paying people to be on a council of transport or health for six months or so is quite the improvement over the current representative system, especially if it allows voluntary members to join in or leave at any time.

While it may be appealing to simply blame "bad politicians" for America's ills, reality is a lot more complicated. At the end of the day, the issues with American politics don't really come down to personal bribes. They're systemic problems that typically have very little to do with individual graft or virtue. As a result, a jury democracy doesn't really serve a purpose. It would, however, so fundamentally weaken the political system that corporate influence would finally be able to "drown it in the bathtub".

Consider a courtroom without a judge or a legislative body to enact laws. Both the prosecution and defense provide experts to testify. The lay jury may review precedent, but makes their decision independently and without any particular insight. Perhaps they render a just verdict, or perhaps the outcome is seen as incompetent or even malevolent - the jury is unaccountable regardless. Either way, the case can usually be appealed before a new jury. Where is the legitimacy here? What are the merits of this system? Certainly there is little about it that seems fair or democratic.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The pressing issues of our time don't provide us with 500 years to try and invent "autocracy but good this time". Democracy provides a system that is both legitimate and stable - key foundational qualities for addressing global needs. There are plenty of countries where democracy continues to serve them perfectly well; America's political failures are altogether American in nature.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

There's no legitimacy in a system without universal enfranchisement, and the idea that a nominal progressive wants to bring back Jim Crow literacy tests is loving awful.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

If the choice is between Twitterbot democracy and "just hand America back to the Windsors", the latter is clearly both better and probably more just.