Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So, Chronom videos and Mark Vs would probably not go over well.
There are some really interesting chronoms occasionally, and there are some good seeds that you can procure from the discord, that might be actually interesting to show off, but certainly not as a mainstay.
Span is a gimme, it's basically this game's alpha sector.

For colonies, i'm sure you'll get your recommendations as soon as you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Doing a bunch of Mk V and Chronom maps was never on the menu, that would be more just as one-off kinds of things to show what's possible if anything.

Complications posted:

AI War series isn't normally my speed but it was soothing to sort of nap to back in early 2019 when I had a nasty allergy attack and half of my face consisted of rash. Please don't take that as an insult to your AI War series. It genuinely helped.

Nah, glad it helped but people just like different things, no insult taken. Some AI War 2 folks can't stand Creeper World and don't know why anyone would want to play it. People just like different things.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
Ever After (36:14)

I'm curious if others used the 'My Base Is A Porter Parking Lot' approach or did other things instead. It's now also time for any deluge of Colonies map suggestions etc, while I detox my brain from CW stuff.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I will not suggest the map that is suggested.

I will instead suggest:
50 - Cascades. A quick, but unusual gimmick map
151 - Orbital insertion. It inserts alright.
98 - the depths. I heard you like eggs.

Shameless plug:
19 - It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Regallion posted:

98 - the depths. I heard you like eggs.

If you do this in a completionist style do it before the patch goes live. Offensive shield use against eggs is about to get nerfhammered and nullifying that one spore will be a real pain in the rear end without it.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Complications posted:

If you do this in a completionist style do it before the patch goes live. Offensive shield use against eggs is about to get nerfhammered and nullifying that one spore will be a real pain in the rear end without it.

That change was actually reverted and outside of an additional visual nothing changes about eggs and shields.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Regallion posted:

That change was actually reverted and outside of an additional visual nothing changes about eggs and shields.

Thanks for correcting me. I'm glad, that gives shields a significant use outside the obvious.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Note that the only 'spelling error', or speaking quirk Preach has is writing a bunch of i's as y's.

Preach's words in this final mission did not have any i's in them so there was actually nothing to misspell.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Strategic Sage posted:

I'm curious if others used the 'My Base Is A Porter Parking Lot' approach or did other things instead. It's now also time for any deluge of Colonies map suggestions etc, while I detox my brain from CW stuff.

I did my start slightly differently to yours. I ported to the shielded islands but I then ported the redon back to the main base. Greenar island I terraformed a pillar midway to the main island and linked it with a tower. By then I had enough Arg for mirco-rifts which I made by porting the arg to the islands.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I actually had a blast with 67 - Matter of Time. When I loaded in I first thought to myself "Oh this is one of those pain maps that is supposed to be hard for difficulties sake" But wound up beating it in 52 minutes and enjoying the gimmick up until the last 5 minute push into the final totem. Just had to do some tricks with in the first few minutes sending sprayers far ahead of supply lines to get some AC down early

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Strategic Sage posted:

My plan was with the amazing starter energy to just push conventionally and see what happened. I ignored the possibility of porters and just started expanding my perimeter. I got the three ERNs in the plateau initially, then ground my way to the biggest patch of breeder in the corner, and then pushed to secure the center breeder. Without spores around I didn't really need the redon, since I had pylons and could just move my rift lab to the middle when the distance started causing issues. I made some microrifts at the end on seedless terrain and moved my rift lab back to the plateau, but other than that it was just a conventional mortar supported by cannons and snipers attack on my part.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Regallion posted:

PRAYSE BE THE FOUNDERS!

Strategic Sage posted:

I didn't actually remember porters in time to take advantage of them. But it turns out that if you do nothing but ERN miners and increase the mining efficiency then AC can actually win you half the map by itself. I did that and used weapons to push forward towards the breeder terrain. Slow, but entertaining.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Wave (55:02)

The new standard by which 'that's a lot of creeper' will be judged. Your first taste of CW4 Sorrontiphobia on what is the early leader for most popular map in the Colonies. More will come in time. There's nothing subtle about this map, just an epic battle.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I made 361 - Chutes and Ladders, ended up not leaning further into the gimmick after constant playtests and tweaks. The thing about maps like The Wave is that its all gimmick and I can't really appreciate them beyond that.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Wave is just there to help you associate Sorrontis with Pain.

Also I have no idea how people manage to play in 3D mode, I pretty much always start with F9 and only get out of it to check how the waves are going.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I just finished a really interesting map. #341 First Person Creeper World.
It's exactly what it claims to be. It took me a bit to really appreciate the way it works, and the last two areas were a pain but finally cleared all objectives. I'd recommend it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

The thing about maps like The Wave is that its all gimmick and I can't really appreciate them beyond that.

SIGSEGV posted:

I have no idea how people manage to play in 3D mode, I pretty much always start with F9 and only get out of it to check how the waves are going.

I'd say these are good examples of how the playerbase continues to diversify, and people play in different ways. I only use top-down when I absolutely have to, as it drives me batty and for most purposes I find it harder to see what is going on. As for the first comment, I think CW is literally an exercise in gimmickry - an enjoyable one, but a level having a gimmick doesn't bother me because I think that's what CW *is*.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 29, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I made 361 - Chutes and Ladders, ended up not leaning further into the gimmick after constant playtests and tweaks. The thing about maps like The Wave is that its all gimmick and I can't really appreciate them beyond that.

Played this one, feels a bit oof in that you need 2-3 restarts to see just how far you can expand at start. Practically, every single one of the closeby 3 stashes can be suppressed before they activate, and you can also take the north-eastern flip breeder before creep gets to it... which made it feel much easier.

Also it really feels that the spore assault on the breeder is kinda half-hearted, since you can defend it with trivial amounts of missiles, i'd have expected a veritable storm.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So I've got the game working, finally.

I found out some interesting things.

Without the base or rift lab or whatever it's called in this game, all energy production from mines and towers stops, just like in other Creeper World games.
However:
- Production of other resources (arg, AC) continues as long as the Factory exists and is hooked up through the network to the correct resource type.
- Energy from boxes such as those left by Porters or that can sometimes be found at the start of the map also continues to be delivered.

This opens up the possibility of custom maps without a rift lab (assuming the engine allows for this). You'd have a hard limit on energy to spend (whatever is left in boxes by the level designer) with which to build your initial network and if you fail to optimize that, welp, restart.
But if you get missiles and sprayers up you can in theory supply those indefinitely and win the level.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

This opens up the possibility of custom maps without a rift lab (assuming the engine allows for this).

That is correct. There is even a map like that called Serious (harder) i think?

Also nothing stops custom units from making more pods or whatever, so.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This opens up the possibility of custom maps without a rift lab (assuming the engine allows for this).

Regallion posted:

That is correct. There is even a map like that called Serious (harder) i think?

Also nothing stops custom units from making more pods or whatever, so.

The first person map also works likes this.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Far York Farm (20:35)

One of the Span Experiments maps, this features an accelerated start with lots of resources, a powerful custom structure, and multiple options in how to win.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 30, 2020

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I just completed that level myself yesterday, and I enjoyed it as well. I've been trying to complete all maps with all objectives, so it did take me significantly longer to complete the map, but I was also messing around with the Sweeper custom unit as well.
From what I can see, the beams of the sweeper gets blocked by terrain of height 7 or greater, and the sweeper's position has 5 "mountains" around it that block the beam from hitting the emitters directly. I had an army of terps shave off the mountains so that the beams could hit the entire map.
I also noticed that the cache of resources in the south had a box of exactly 200 Arg, which is exactly enough to construct a Micro-Rift. I rushed that and a rift back at my home base to connect the two sections, instead of using the Ern Pylon that you demonstrated in your video. The spores are delayed enough that you still have time to build missiles once the home base rift is completed.

One last note about your video, you had a single miner that didn't build in your mine field, as it wasn't close enough to a tower. The poor guy was still there, awaiting it's connection to the network, at the end of the video. :(

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Regallion posted:

Played this one, feels a bit oof in that you need 2-3 restarts to see just how far you can expand at start. Practically, every single one of the closeby 3 stashes can be suppressed before they activate, and you can also take the north-eastern flip breeder before creep gets to it... which made it feel much easier.

Also it really feels that the spore assault on the breeder is kinda half-hearted, since you can defend it with trivial amounts of missiles, i'd have expected a veritable storm.

Thanks for the feedback. All those criticisms make sense and really reveal the short comings of what I missed playtesting it. I'm enjoying the process of making CW maps, even if the editor has some weird annoying quirks to it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I started similarly to Inward Chaos with regards to the early microrifts and also flattened the northwest mountain barrier to the beam. After picking up the creeper shaver, my midgame phase was a massive porter assisted drop into the creeper breeder to the northwest. It took two tries before I got the timing right to get the turrets dropping in just as the creeper got shaved down to size. After clearing that, there wasn't enough creeper to stop me pushing to get the rest of the objectives.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Orbital Insertion (29:38)

What if ... there is nowhere to land and millions of creeper waiting for us?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I miss berthas, and reactors, and the forge.

But what really gets me are those large expanses of blueite terrain that I can't pave without wasting some in relay towers and geometry issue, it's terrible.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I agree on the resource terrain, but I think the game's better off without the reactors/forge.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

First Person Creeper World (17:52)

Ever wondered what Creeper World would look like as an FPS? This brings up some memories of the CW3 credits mission, though it's not as long and tedious.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'd say give the FPS levels a pass for now. It's an interesting concept but it needs development.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Complications posted:

I'd say give the FPS levels a pass for now. It's an interesting concept but it needs development.

Agreed. It takes ages to lower the creep.

One thing they could do is make it more FPS like, by introducing moving enemies and such. Perhaps repurpose the AC robots from the pyramids level to be enemies or something.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Agreed. It takes ages to lower the creep.

One thing they could do is make it more FPS like, by introducing moving enemies and such. Perhaps repurpose the AC robots from the pyramids level to be enemies or something.

Perhaps it could even be said that the idea needs time to gel. :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

I agree on the resource terrain, but I think the game's better off without the reactors/forge.

Oh, I absolutely agree that the lack of reactors and forge, and the preplaced only berthas make the game a better game, but as my playstyle was to shove my foot in the door really fast to establish my foothold and then turtle and slowly roll across the map as I please, I'm not entirely sure I like the game more.

It's pretty good though.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

So the author of First Person Creeper World uploaded a second map, and it definitely improves on the concept. Still a bit janky, especially the floaty movement controls, but that's probably a function of the game engine not being designed for them. With the author's use of flip breeder throughout the map I kept expecting anticreeper to come into play, but no. I wonder if there's a mechanical difference between flip breeder and creeper breeder besides the obvious that would have led to it's use. The concept is good, and this iteration comes much closer to a great FPS creeper world experience. This could prove to be CW4's version of CW3's CSM maps.

SIGSEGV posted:

I miss berthas, and reactors, and the forge.

But what really gets me are those large expanses of blueite terrain that I can't pave without wasting some in relay towers and geometry issue, it's terrible.

I just see this as the equivalent of CW3 putting random pits in otherwise flat terrain, making optimal tower placement annoying.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 10, 2021

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Complications posted:

Perhaps it could even be said that the idea needs time to gel.

*groan*

The general reaction has been 'no thanks', so while I think it was a cool thing to do once, it's going to stay at once.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.

Hippocrass posted:

I wonder if there's a mechanical difference between flip breeder and creeper breeder besides the obvious that would have led to it's use.

I just finished playing the map myself, and from what I saw, the flip breeder had a different "Breed Timer" than normal breeder.
The normal blue breeder terrain breeds every 30 seconds, for a duration of 5 seconds. The yellow Flip Breeder breeds every 5 seconds, but only for a 1 second duration.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

If you don't have sufficient animosity for Skimmers and/or Eggs yet, you will after Wednesday's misadventure. The Mk V and I had a little chat, and it wasn't friendly-like.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Hippocrass posted:

I wonder if there's a mechanical difference between flip breeder and creeper breeder besides the obvious that would have led to it's use.

Creeper Breeder and AC Breeder have global variables for the active/wait periods, and flip breeder has its own pairs for both creeper and AC. So you can make flip breeder barely breed AC at all while meanwhile pumping out creeper, or vice versa, if you want to fine tune it or make it a pain.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Let Blue Rain (1:02:28)

Dipping into the Mark V procedurally generated missions, and decidedly at the deep end of the pool. A couple new enemies are here, but it's mostly the volume of creeper on a small map along with the Skimmers and Eggs that provide the most pain here. There are many hostile threats with which to contend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Strategic Sage posted:

Let Blue Rain (1:02:28)

Dipping into the Mark V procedurally generated missions, and decidedly at the deep end of the pool. A couple new enemies are here, but it's mostly the volume of creeper on a small map along with the Skimmers and Eggs that provide the most pain here. There are many hostile threats with which to contend.

So did you click the high score submit button after stopping the video or did you forget and just click exit? I saw you hovering your mouse cursor over the Exit button and now I'm a bit worried.

Anyway, when you got hold of that first patch of breeder, I would've switched a miner to blueite and put a sprayer on it. Not because that does anything helpful but because it's nice to see breeder pump out AC.