Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

RareAcumen posted:

Fedule's taking up all the attention pointing out the many parts of the game that clash against each other because they weren't polished enough so I'm gonna be mad about the petty poo poo.

Why would they give us 4 move to begin the game? Why must you hurt me in this way? And why do all the iron weapons look like they have rust on them? Shouldn't they be trying to keep them in better shape?

At least in this game you get more move when you promote. Unlike some other games in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Unless you're a mage, because gently caress mages I guess.

I think the idea is supposed to be that the standard classes have the same Move profile they always have, but the Commoner/Noble and Beginner classes have a penalty. You then get the normal profile when you hit Intermediate (unless you're a mage). Then you get another point when you hit Master, which feels a little wierd because it seems like Advanced is supposed to be the analogue for promoting in the previous games but whatever. I've heard it said that Advanced is intended to be the main representation of the classic terminal points for Fire Emblem class progression, which kind of tracks, but you miss out on that extra Move for not going to Master, which is just too big a pragmatic loss for me, and another reason I dislike the Master class spread so much.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I don't understand why the mages don't get up to 5 move at Advanced personally. It's a part of what makes Gremory and Dark Knight so important really.

The silly thing is that a dismounted Dark Knight has 6 move.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Mages are nerds and they can't run very far.

4 move for casters does kind of suck but it is still far more justified than 4 move for armour knights because you can still pull some extremely silly stuff with magic.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Magic is actually worth it yeah.

I've been experimenting in a no-extra-battles whatsoever Maddening run, and having someone as a general with all the defense boosters stacked on them is actually helpful for whatever that's worth.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sorry for the radio silence lately folks, schedules have been not working out and our few resources have been directed towards our Chimera Squad LP. We should be able to play more this week so hopefully we'll have some episodes soon

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to watching you baby bird all your scrubby children.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's ok, we know things are going to be messy until the Soyluminati end the plandemic :tinfoil:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nah it cant be them, they share all their data with us over at The Gay Agenda so we'd be able to get around it. My guess is either the Reptoids or the Vegans (the aliens from Vega, not the no meat people)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I hope this doesn’t seem like I’m backseating, but I figured I’d give you guys a heads-up that you’re going to need to recruit Ferdinand to unlock Lysithea’s unique side quest, because I figured you’d wanna maximize the amount of murderbaby story content.

As Grace mentioned in the last video Ferdinand is probably the hardest student to recruit because of his extremely dumb requirement (C Armor) and the fact that he’s one of two students who’s recruitment can’t be brute forced by making them like you. So that means you have to get Harumaki as much armor training possible from the church dudes who will teach it to you, like Gilbert. I’m only mentioning all this because the armor teachers are unavailable often so it’s extremely easy to miss out on if you don’t start early.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This reminds me! The difficulty of getting Byleth into certain classes is very dumb! Unlike literally every other character in the game, Byleth can't be taught week-to-week, so the only way to raise their skills is through battle, Faculty Training and Seminars. Now, you can pretty easily eke out some skills by equipping a weapon and using it for a while, but if you want your Byleth to be mounted, armoured or flying you're in a very silly bind, because you can't change into those classes without Cs in those skills, and it's not until you try and work up to that point without the benefit of weekly lessons that you start to appreciate how long that takes.

Basically, once again, the idea is solid in concept but it faceplants over its own technicalities. I know, I know, shocking to hear this from me of all people.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Scrap Dragon posted:

I hope this doesn’t seem like I’m backseating, but I figured I’d give you guys a heads-up that you’re going to need to recruit Ferdinand to unlock Lysithea’s unique side quest, because I figured you’d wanna maximize the amount of murderbaby story content.

As Grace mentioned in the last video Ferdinand is probably the hardest student to recruit because of his extremely dumb requirement (C Armor) and the fact that he’s one of two students who’s recruitment can’t be brute forced by making them like you. So that means you have to get Harumaki as much armor training possible from the church dudes who will teach it to you, like Gilbert. I’m only mentioning all this because the armor teachers are unavailable often so it’s extremely easy to miss out on if you don’t start early.

Adding to that, if you can get Ferdinand to max support level (meaning the point where it says you can't deepen his support yet), you only need D+ Armor, which is at least doable.

If Byleth could at least set two goals like the rest of the characters, things would be so much easier.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's why Byleth is basically stuck as a sword unit. They're not getting field training in other weapons without deliberate grinding (and that's definitely not happening here of all places), and their skill raising basically requires a lot of foreplanning (again, not happening here) or they're just not meeting the requirements for most classes.

This is basically normal for anyone who's playing remotely blind (very much here) at all.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey quick question for a friend that has nothing to do with perceived slights from recent posting, if someone did a poo poo ton of grinding offscreen without advancing time would that wind up loving up the flow of the game? Also can you send a unit into battle alone again asking for a friend

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Let me clear the air. I'm not advocating grinding at all, that's really boring and unnecessary. Please don't grind on my account. I was largely agreeing with Fedule on the game being unnecessarily difficult for the MC to change classes

I legitimately can't answer those questions for you since I haven't grinded in Three Houses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Danaru posted:

Hey quick question for a friend that has nothing to do with perceived slights from recent posting, if someone did a poo poo ton of grinding offscreen without advancing time would that wind up loving up the flow of the game? Also can you send a unit into battle alone again asking for a friend

Ish. if your dudes get too strong it can make things easy and blow the difficulty, but exp soft caps with level difference so things will recover decentally fast.

Depends on the map. With skirmish missions, yes, but most story missions force deploy byleth and your lord. And personal missions require said person(s) to deploy, obviously.

E: if you're considering grinding weapon ranks for a class on byleth or some such, just dropping a broken weapon in their hands against the weakest map will usually get them enough to kick start a new career without getting too much exp. But as stated it's kind of boring, so unless you feel like making a gimmick dragon riding bow user or something it's not worth it.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 17, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Keldulas posted:

Let me clear the air. I'm not advocating grinding at all, that's really boring and unnecessary. Please don't grind on my account. I was largely agreeing with Fedule on the game being unnecessarily difficult for the MC to change classes

I legitimately can't answer those questions for you since I haven't grinded in Three Houses.

Dont worry I wont do anything I wouldnt normally do. Honestly I've been holding back on my bullshit because I figured people wanted to see me play normally :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Grinding weapons and classes can be done trivially without gaining experience.

On the highest difficulties it's imo basically required and on the lower difficulties it's not going to break anything and potentially let you play wit Byleth in a class that you would find cool

A good way of doing this is to do a skirmish map and keep an armoured unit alive. Fight that unit in a forest with a broken weapon and just constantly miss attacks whilst it wails on you. You'll gain weapon xp pretty quickly whilst also failing to gain any levels.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It really isn't 'basically required' on higher difficulties. You can manage just fine without it. If you want to do it, then that's up to the individual player, sure. But it's definitely not required to beat the game.

Granted, a lot of that is due to the map design in the game being fairly bad and therefore nerfing the challenge given, but it's really not necessary to straight-up grind ranks in this game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What exactly grinding even is in this game can be subjective.

On Normal and Easy difficulties, you can replay certain Sunday skirmishes indefinitely without using up action points for the day. This will eventually hit some soft plateaus as far as EXP is concerned but you can farm support points and weapon ranks and other stuff for pretty much as long as your equipment holds out (you can also keep the equipment supply going more or less indefinitely as long as you can balance your budget, but most of these maps drop gold so that's not that hard). And if you're only training a handful of units (IIRC there are very few force deploys in skirmishes) your budget needs won't be very high to begin with.

On Hard, there aren't any free skirmishes, so things are brought a little (a little!) more in line with Classic Fire Emblem where everything's a resource including training opportunities, and sometimes you can decide that a valuable use of a weekend is to top off some numbers. That's fine.

In this playthrough, because we're on Normal Casual and liberal with the Rewind there's probably not an enormous need for grinding but if you want to accomplish certain things (like recruiting everyone) sometimes it can help to give certain numbers a boost. Because of levels and stuff, like I said, this won't egregiously break the game (it's fairly light on the difficulty as it is) but it's great for getting suppports and skills up if you need to and don't feel like it would make great Content.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My definition of grinding at least for Fire Emblem is doing extra free battles that can't possibly threaten you, or deliberately extending a map unnaturally to milk it for experience, skill levels, or whatever.

The reason why I dislike it is because it's effectively doing something uninteresting and repetitive to the end result of making the rest of the game more boring. Some people like to princess their their setups or see the unnecessarily big flashy numbers, sure. But that's not for me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 18 - Forest Goes Slow, Not-Forest Goes Fast

https://twitter.com/DanaruLP/status/1307523875673124864

Danaru fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 20, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, Seteth is never going to stop talking to you.

Ever :twisted:

Sylvain may be The Worst,but at this point i'd just make him a cavalier and skip soldier entirely. The increased movement from a horse is worth so much more than the potential abilities you'd get from mastering soldier. The classes that have really notable mastery skills that you probably want to get before moving on are mage and brigand, anything else isn't that important.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Sylvain is a good boy and I will die in this hill.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

In every single game I've played of this, she has, trivially.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Was inspired to buy the game by this LP. And while my murder babies are just as good as yours it's ignatz and sylvain that are my MVPs

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Who the hell is Ignatz

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 19 - Really Good At What She Does

Manuela: "Hey we need you to organize the library"
Hilda:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Danaru posted:

Who the hell is Ignatz

I believe you insult my perfect murder baby by calling him..ugh Moe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On the one hand, Lorenz is a sucker. On the other hand he lives in a universe where killstealing from Hilda will only make him stronger.

So if you think about it, Hilda is just doing him a favor :pseudo:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 20 - You.

It's no Patricide, but Fratricide is good too.

I'm also very glad you can experience how much it kills Grace not to spoil stuff. I was worried his head was going to explode after the fourth or fifth time he alluded to the second half of the level

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"This armor will protect me from punches-OH NO. OH poo poo"

Spoilers for next episode. Becoming a monster will protect me from punches-OH NO. OH poo poo

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 21 - Find His Tits. Punch Them.

Man I'm glad I dont have one of those relic things, that's hosed up

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I really do not like Rhea. At all.

She may be a beautiful woman, but it's clear that she's the pretty face behind which hides oppression and bigotry.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 22 - Everything Is Ghosts

https://twitter.com/DanaruLP/status/1313892979078320128

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 23 - I Want To Pet The Big Borky

I'm imagining anyone who is an adjutant to Maki as being in one of those baby carriers people put on their chest, except soaked in blood and screaming

I'm a good mom

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I wish Mega 'Maki was my mom. She fuckin rules.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 23 - They're All So Baby

Like the story of Icarus, Maki's tragedy is being so consumed by bloodlust that she gets trapped in a teleporter maze.

Also what piece of poo poo put a teleporter maze under the monestary I want names.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Danaru posted:

Also what piece of poo poo put a teleporter maze under the monestary I want names.

It was the pope I saw her do it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm just imagining what it must have looked like for the Death Knight to go from making threats up close an in person, to running away to the middle of the map :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Fire Emblem Three Houses Episode 24 - The Magic Hour

Please note exactly when Grace finally tells me about the mission end condition