Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxqmAxDlYU

It's football.

Football is back, it's not March anymore. After three months of hiding in caves eating nothing but pies, both we and the footballers we know and love to hate have emerged, fatter and hairier, to resume the interrupted 2019-20 Premier League season.

We are all Harry de Bruyne now.

When we left off three months ago the table looked like this:

The table still looks like that.

Games will be in empty stadiums, there will be football basically every day for the next month until we're done or until every player in the league has the rona. June looks like this:

Today:

Other days:

my bold prediction is that Liverpool will win the league, there I said it and now if we somehow do the most colossal fuckup in the history of organized sport you can all point and laugh at me forever.

Marcus Rashford is a good lad who means well even though he plays for a bad club, gently caress the Tories, let's all watch football together, the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

June will be the month where Newcastle become the Big Club they’ve always been. Sleeping giant awakens.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are they rubbing crowds over or what? What did they decide?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I hope Liverpoo don't win but they will and I've made my peace with it

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Fun things that can happen this week:

If Man City lose tonight at the Arse and Liverpool win on Sunday at the Toffees, Liverpool will be your official 2019/2020 Premier League Mountain Dew Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce Champions (gently caress you Oliwan)

No one can lock up any European places this week nor will anyone be relegated.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I would bet against that body finishing a marathon

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
K[g]DB

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bape Culture posted:

Are they rubbing crowds over or what? What did they decide?

Not universally at least. United have said there will be no dubbed in crowd noises at their games, but they will have signs and messages of support to caregivers and other COVID heroes in the stands. And of course Arsenal's games will be sound just the same as before.

I really hope someone does pipe in some crowd noises from FIFA at some games, it would be amazingly bad.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

Football is back, it's not March anymore. After three months of hiding in caves eating nothing but pies, both we and the footballers we know and love to hate have emerged, fatter and hairier, to resume the interrupted 2019-20 Premier League season.

We are all Harry de Bruyne now.

I resent the implication that I wasn't fat and hairy prior to COVID-19. :colbert:

In an already bizarre season/year, what's the weirdest thing that can now happen with the remaining games? Aside from a Spectacular Meltdown from Liverpool and they Let It Slip (again), maybe...
  • 2nd wave of the 'Roni kicks up right before the last game is played and the season is canceled, depriving Liverpool of the title
  • Marcus Rashford is accidentally sold by Ed Woodward as part of a new Asian sponsorship with a small-but-well known biology lab in Wuhan, China
  • Newcastle actually find a real buyer who's better than Mike Ashley, who turns out to be Kim Jung Un, and promptly passes the "fit and proper" test
  • in United vs Spurs after a contentious decision against his team, Jose intentionally starts coughing on Ole, leading to a huge fracas and both teams coming down with COVID-19
  • Paul Pogba actually plays a game of football, does a dab

Also :rip: Norwich City and BSE

sticksy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 17, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sticksy posted:

In an already bizarre season/year, what's the weirdest thing that can now happen with the remaining games?

Some European qualification shenanigans if Chelsea poo poo up their League position but win the CL maybe (lol)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm pretty sure Coronavirus Antics are the only thing that can save the Villa

who wants to buy Grealish

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ah yes, it’s been three months since I’ve had to think about Arsenal being poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
pretty sure KJU would pass the owners and directors test if saudi arabia only fail on the piracy aspect. would be cool to be owned by a definite nuclear power imo

holding out hope the official saudi arabia twitter threatens to 911 someone like it did canada after the takeover though

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dibs

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

vyelkin posted:

The table still looks like that.

:hmmyes:
I'm looking forward to football, however I found that games without crowds are insanely boring most of the time.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm cautiously optimistic about Villa, and that has never served me well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Jack is probably off regardless :(

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ryan Fraser apparently turned down a contract extension at the Mouth and will be ineligible to play after June.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Is McGinn starting today

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Fixture list with some details on what you can see for free. first one's friday

quote:

Wednesday, June 17

Aston Villa v Sheffield United - 6pm SKY
Man City v Arsenal - 8.15pm SKY

Friday, June 19

Norwich v Southampton 6pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR
Tottenham v Manchester United - 8.15pm SKY

Saturday, June 20

Watford v Leicester 12.30pm BT
Brighton v Arsenal 3pm BT
West Ham v Wolves 5.30pm SKY
Bournemouth v Crystal Palace 7.45pm BBC - FREE TO AIR

Sunday, June 21

Newcastle v Sheffield United 2pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR
Aston Villa v Chelsea 4.15pm SKY
Everton v Liverpool - 7pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR

Other confirmed free to air games
Wednesday June 24

Manchester United v Sheffield United 6pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR
Norwich v Everton 6pm BBC - FREE TO AIR

Thursday June 25

Burnley v Watford 6pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR

Sunday June 28

Watford v Southampton 4.30pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR

Monday June 29

Crystal Palace v Burnley 8pm AMAZON FREE TO AIR

Tuesday June 30

Brighton v Manchester United 8.15pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR

Wednesday July 1

Bournemouth v Newcastle 6pm Sky Pick FREE TO AIR

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is McGinn starting today

Sure is!
https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1273286764384354304

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Fun things that can happen this week:

If Man City lose tonight at the Arse and Liverpool win on Sunday at the Toffees, Liverpool will be your official 2019/2020 Premier League Mountain Dew Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce Champions (gently caress you Oliwan)

No one can lock up any European places this week nor will anyone be relegated.

Arse about to kick off a run of 10 wins to finish probably 3rd or whatever

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
⚽️

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

More atmosphere than the Ethiad

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

In an already bizarre season/year, what's the weirdest thing that can now happen with the remaining games?

Jack Wilshere completes 90 minutes of football and/or breaks into a jog without some part of his body exploding with enough force to kill several other players.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Looks like we've had our first non-rona weirdness of the second half of the season - ball blatantly seemed to be carried across the line by the Villa keeper but goal-line technology didn't notice (presumably because it's camera-based and can't tell where the ball is if it's in the keepers hands).

e:

https://twitter.com/thedannutt/status/1273311691649007617

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 17, 2020

Feral Jesus
Oct 9, 2003
Good to have var drama back

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Awesome Animals posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Villa, and that has never served me well.

Jack is probably off regardless :(

i thiiiink they can keep him if they stay up but yeah he's 100% gone if they go down

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Looks like we've had our first non-rona weirdness of the second half of the season - ball blatantly seemed to be carried across the line by the Villa keeper but goal-line technology didn't notice (presumably because it's camera-based and can't tell where the ball is if it's in the keepers hands).

Surely there have been instances of the ball going into the goal while the keeper has a hold on it at some point during the past few seasons of GLT across Europe, must be more to it than just that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Players are rusty from not playing for a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if even refs are rusty too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

Surely there have been instances of the ball going into the goal while the keeper has a hold on it at some point during the past few seasons of GLT across Europe, must be more to it than just that

Nah it's a known flaw with Hawkeye systems (and presumably any other camera-based system) - if the keeper's hand (or any other player's body part for that matter) is touching the ball on the side away from the goal and obscures more than a certain percentage of it, the margin of error of the system goes right up because it has to make assumptions on where the ball is based on the bits of it it can see, and of course it defaults to no-goal if the confidence level isn't high enough.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Players are rusty from not playing for a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if even refs are rusty too.

Ref couldn't see it through the players, lino couldn't see it because of where the keeper's arm/shoulder was. Sky are saying that VAR should have flagged it and/or the ref could have asked to review it, though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ref couldn't see it through the players, lino couldn't see it because of where the keeper's arm/shoulder was. Sky are saying that VAR should have flagged it and/or the ref could have asked to review it, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some dumb clause in the PL's contract with Hawkeye that says refs and/or VAR can't overrule Hawkeye.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah it's a known flaw with Hawkeye systems (and presumably any other camera-based system) - if the keeper's hand (or any other player's body part for that matter) is touching the ball on the side away from the goal and obscures more than a certain percentage of it, the margin of error of the system goes right up because it has to make assumptions on where the ball is based on the bits of it it can see, and of course it defaults to no-goal if the confidence level isn't high enough.

Seems like this could be solved by allowing VAR to look at and potentially override if the confidence gets below a certain threshold then

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I'm saying the ref in the VAR room is himself rusty

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Rusty to the point where he forgot what a goal is?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I imagine one of the things they need to do is figure out when to intervene, and they really haven't been doing that for months.

But yes I'm just making excuses for them. poo poo decisions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

Seems like this could be solved by allowing VAR to look at and potentially override if the confidence gets below a certain threshold then

Like I say, according to Sky (and I'm caveating that because they're loving terrible for not understanding how it works) VAR *could* have looked at it and over-ridden it.

vyelkin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some dumb clause in the PL's contract with Hawkeye that says refs and/or VAR can't overrule Hawkeye.

Vegetable posted:

These seem about equally likely though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Post in the MDT thread

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

blue footed boobie posted:

Ah yes, it’s been three months since I’ve had to think about Arsenal being poo poo.

They're unbeaten in the league for over 5 months...for a couple more hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e:

https://twitter.com/thedannutt/status/1273311691649007617

Ah, how could I omit VAR from my list of potential Rona Season gently caress-ups, smdh