Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I haven’t been crushed by a housing in a while, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It happens often enough to me to make me feel really dumb.

When it does happen it's generally because I cut the entire nacelle free so the entire thing is bouncing around unpredictably. It's a side effect of getting a bit too cut-happy sometimes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah between the patch to the game early on and the “do the nacelles first and don’t cut anything else” advice I received that has stopped it happening to me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I found this game on gamepass and played it for like 8 hours straight yesterday.

Help I can't stop myself from breaking ships

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

break the ships

space the hards

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

CuddleCryptid posted:

Listen buckaroo, that one inch scrap of steel you thought was worthless? Let's say that scrap gets bumped by a ship being moved into the yard. And let's say it ends up moving near the jump gates above the yard. Have you see what happens when a ship moving at 98% of the speed of light hits a piece of metal? They'll get opened up like a tin can, and it'll kill everyone, and it'll all be your fault.

This just means more ships to break

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Jerkface posted:

This just means more ships to break

wierdly enough, we never get already-broken ships. Just retired ones. None of them ever have any holes in the hull or anything. I suppose that means if anything happens to a ship, there's not enough left of it to break down.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Moose posted:

wierdly enough, we never get already-broken ships. Just retired ones. None of them ever have any holes in the hull or anything. I suppose that means if anything happens to a ship, there's not enough left of it to break down.

Accidentally lance a hole in the side of pressurized ships and you'll understand why that is

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I broke into a pressurized airlock and the force of the door flying out smacked me in the face and damaged my helmet.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It can go really bad if the pressure knocks stuff into fuel tanks and other fun things

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Fruits of the sea posted:

It can go really bad if the pressure knocks stuff into fuel tanks and other fun things

It was in a pre-release version but I once loaded in a new Gecko, depressurized the airlock, opened a door to let the air out, and the reactor immediately started going critical. I'm still not quite sure what happened (I think maybe flying debris knocked loose the coolant tanks?), but it made me paranoid about depressurizing rooms ever since.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bremen posted:

It was in a pre-release version but I once loaded in a new Gecko, depressurized the airlock, opened a door to let the air out, and the reactor immediately started going critical. I'm still not quite sure what happened (I think maybe flying debris knocked loose the coolant tanks?), but it made me paranoid about depressurizing rooms ever since.

Yeah, I think that just has a chance of happening no matter what. I've seen a few geckos with nearly all the atmosphere regulators broken. And I found out that regulators ONLY work in the room they're installed in. If you break down a door to try to vacuum the air out of another room, it stops working because it can't shut the door first. And some of those salvage geckos have like, fork lifts and huge pieces of salvaged hull in them so if you forcefully depressurize them, you either have to remove Every. Single. Thing. or just hope the reactor doesn't do that and restart the shift if it does. It's really annoying.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Is there a way to drop straight into free play with all the various upgrades and ships unlocked?
I finished a full playthrough about a year ago and haven't really touched the game since, but when I loaded it up today there was no record of my existing save and I was sent back to the intro with the contract and the rest of it. I just want to zone out and tear a ship apart :(

This is on gamepass if it's relevant.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
If you already went through the introduction then quit and save. It should take you back to the career type screen. Select the option you initially went through, it defaults to the standard second option. From there you'll be able to select Free Play. Unfortunately cant do much without doing at least one introduction first. But you can quickly skip through it all pressing [ESC] and [e] rapidly.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Cheers, pretty simple in hindsight.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I finished what I assume is the main story today, where the bulk of the debt is wiped out. Dunno if this game really needed a story; could have been just fine a salvage game working for an oppressive megacorp and be great. Maybe I'm jaded but the whole plot seemed too...optimistic. Great game still though. Gonna be salvaging for a while yet.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Imagine if you will, some sort of group of workers banding together to collectively negotiate with their employers. They might even manage to extract meaningful concessions.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
The plot of this game made steam commenters furious.
Like ridiculously furious

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Doesn't really take much to annoy them

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just out of curiosity, has anyone managed to do Industrial Action without making any money? I generally get some random aluminum parts blasted into the furnace by mistake.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The way to do that would ironically be to carefully and methodically take the ship apart like normal, then just chuck each component you dismantle into space with enough force to make sure it flies far enough to despawn.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could also throw it in the wrong place. You don't get paid for processor stuff in the furnace and vice versa, right?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Put processor stuff in the furnace, and everything else in the processor.

If you put bargeables in the furnace that still pays you the scrap value. Weaver's and Rhodes' responses treat this as correct salvage (because it makes you some money), which feels like an oversight to me.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Just cut everything that can go into the barge so it turns into scrap, then chuck everything into the barge. As long as you give all computers, door panels, antennas, fuel tanks (good luck) and so on a blast with either the line cutting tool or some demo charges, you won't get paid for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You can also manually remove things like glass, which typically you would have a tiny bit left over on the exterior panels, by just burning it up entirely with the point cutter.