Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Mouse wheel shifts through tech view modes, took me 5 cert levels before I figured that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zeron posted:

When you are grappled onto something, the right mouse button lets you pull. Which if it's small pulls it to you, but if it's large pulls you to it. Which allows you to move incredibly rapidly, since you can grapple onto things from almost the entire map.

Beef posted:

Mouse wheel shifts through tech view modes, took me 5 cert levels before I figured that one out.

ahhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHH

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

At the moment yes but I think it's more bug than support, the UI scaling is clearly broken in an unintended way

Yeah, the devs have said that 4k is being prioritized at the moment for a patch.

Zeron posted:

Charged push is incredibly dangerous and will wreck you if you use it on something you can't move.

I did a charged push on an object thinking I cut it free and was flung so far back I ended up right above a processing unit. Also if you ever decide to get real close to one of them it's a bad idea, it's got a suction effect you can't escape from. I had enough air to last until the time ran down otherwise I would have just died.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

Is 1080p really the only supported resolution? This looks pretty sweet but that's kind of a weird limitation these days for a game with good graphics.

No, keep hitting the left/right buttons. I’m running QHD@100hz.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone else with me in preferring controller to keyboard and mouse for this? It's not a drastic difference, but... well, I guess that's the point, they kinda work equally well, and controller lets me slob off in front of the TV :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

threelemmings posted:

Yeah I still think the time limit is good for making you push the pace a bit and think outside the box for efficiency. For example...

Broke:

Woke:

Can't take credit for this, but galaxy brain would be pushing the platform toward the barge and then use a laser to vaporize it (it's only aluminium, who cares), so all the chair fly into the barge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh jeez, that's already pretty much how I handle the power cells, just throw away the drat panel. Extend that to chairs...

Gosh this game is cool. It might be content-light but the skeleton (ha) for something great is sitting here :allears:

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Back Hack posted:

Can't take credit for this, but galaxy brain would be pushing the platform toward the barge and then use a laser to vaporize it (it's only aluminium, who cares), so all the chair fly into the barge.

Ah but you misinterpret: I threw the whole piece into the barge and it counts. No cutting needed

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 18, 2020

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
After playing around in freeplay...there definitely needs to be some game mode focused around strategically blowing up ships. It's ridiculously fun and good looking.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

threelemmings posted:

Ah but you misinterpret: I threw the whole piece into the barge and it counts.

I know what I'll be doing next time I get a passenger gecko.

I've been avoiding them because of the chair spam but this resolves the issue nicely.

What's the best way to cut up the gecko reactor quickly? In the passenger versions its set up such that you gotta move apart the hefty back end from the front just to create an egress.. The cargo geckos seem to handle things better.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I know what I'll be doing next time I get a passenger gecko.

I've been avoiding them because of the chair spam but this resolves the issue nicely.

What's the best way to cut up the gecko reactor quickly? In the passenger versions its set up such that you gotta move apart the hefty back end from the front just to create an egress.. The cargo geckos seem to handle things better.
I've been cutting out the area between it and the ECU (outside the main cabins) and processing the bottom piece. From there I make sure I've purged everything I can then its just a matter of cutting the pipes, pulling off the panels, and it should be a straight shot down once you remove it from the housing. You can then also pull the ECU and thrusters from that position.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Tim Pawlenty posted:

I've been cutting out the area between it and the ECU (outside the main cabins) and processing the bottom piece. From there I make sure I've purged everything I can then its just a matter of cutting the pipes, pulling off the panels, and it should be a straight shot down once you remove it from the housing. You can then also pull the ECU and thrusters from that position.

How do you purge the coolant pipes and fuel pipes? There isn't a utility key present in all circumstances.

Is there a trick to the ECU?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

fuckin hell the game really gets going once you get the gecko, i have no idea where to even start

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

How do you purge the coolant pipes and fuel pipes? There isn't a utility key present in all circumstances.

For coolant pipes, find the Heatsink, remove front panel, and yank out all cans of coolant, wait for them to drain. You're golden.

Fuel needs to be purge via switches (may cause a rupture, wait for it to end if it does) on fuel tanks or engines.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 18, 2020

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

It seems that utility keys carry over ship to ship, there's a console in the center room next to the reactor. I didn't use any keys below class 4. If you don't have a key you can purge the fuel lines manually at each thruster. For the ECU if you want to avoid as much danger as possible pop the front and remove the tanks.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

queeb posted:

fuckin hell the game really gets going once you get the gecko, i have no idea where to even start

If it's too intimidating just go into free play and much about with it until you're comfortable.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Back Hack posted:

For coolant pipes, find the ECU, remove front panel, and yank out all cans of coolant, wait for them to drain. You're golden.

Fuel needs to be purge via switches (may cause a rupture, wait for it to end if it does) on fuel tanks or engines.

I have yanked the cans in the past but I still get a burst of cold explosions once i try to cut the pipe. Is this draining process a long time or am I experiencing a bug?

I also noticed in the gecko there's a lot of fuel tanks surrounding the thrusters. I saw vids of some people blowing the thrusters via manual override without removing the fuel and that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I have yanked the cans in the past but I still get a burst of cold explosions once i try to cut the pipe. Is this draining process a long time or am I experiencing a bug?

I also noticed in the gecko there's a lot of fuel tanks surrounding the thrusters. I saw vids of some people blowing the thrusters via manual override without removing the fuel and that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I've had coolant explosions doing that occasionally but it doesn't seem violent, no damage just pushing stuff around and coating a room in ice.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

queeb posted:

I haven't gotten to the Gecko yet in my campaign so I booted one up in Free Play and, uh, I knew the Mackerel was baby mode but jesus christ is it intimidating the first time seeing the Gecko. :stonk:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I really hope this is the same ship explosion tech they are going to use for HW3 :allears:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Super unlikely, given how much performance it takes just to process a single ship. The same visual effect can be achieved much more efficiently using other methods in situations where you don't need to model the exact cause of the destruction in detail, or permanently keep track of every little piece afterwards.

My game started to stutter a lot when I tried to ram the entire internal frame of a Gecko into the furnace as a single piece.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It looks so good just getting the reactor to meltdown and blow an intact ship into tiny pieces.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Used some of the tips from this thread and scrapped an entire Mackerel in one shift. :pcgaming:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It's probably obvious to most folk but my biggest timesaver so far has been to use the split-beam on cut points, since it's both faster and (literally and figuratively) cooler. I only really use the single point laser on those thin aluminium corridor parts.

It feels really good going from delicately picking apart a mackerel over 2-3 shifts to just picking off the expensive parts, sweeping along the outer plates and slinging the remaining chassis into the furnace. I wouldn't mind if the game explained itself a little more, but i do love that it lets you figure out your own approach. The tutorial at first made me think it'd be a nice chill methodical game but it's more like production-line butchery.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Wallrod posted:

The tutorial at first made me think it'd be a nice chill methodical game but it's more like production-line butchery.

Thread title doesn't lie.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think people might be finding the point-cutter more useful again later on in career mode, since one of the late upgrades for the cutter makes the splitsaw cut through nanocarbon as well, and it -will- cut whatever bulkhead is behind the cutting point or aluminium wall you're trying to cut, potentially ruining a huge slab of otherwise valuable nanocarbon.

I learned this the hard way in free play

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why the hell did I think this was VR only??

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
What are the fuses for? I see there's a trick to pulling them out but what purpose does that serve? Usually by the time I get around to looking at them they're already dislodged, I suppose it's due to me disconnecting some other piece of electronics?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chev posted:

What are the fuses for? I see there's a trick to pulling them out but what purpose does that serve? Usually by the time I get around to looking at them they're already dislodged, I suppose it's due to me disconnecting some other piece of electronics?

Pulling the fuses on something prevents it from doing something that could kill you, essentially. Depending on what order you do things in it may not be necessary or it may save your life.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chev posted:

They pop out when you pull the power generator.

Be careful picking fuses up because they will catapult you into their panels for some reason?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thank you both!

Yeah, I did notice picking up floating fuses is a near-deathtrap.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Can't wait for more ships, like that bigass station thing from the splash screen. Also explosives.

I don't even mind the timer that much, but what I do mind is that it takes you away from the good bits, and you need to click through the menu each time to go back, fly towards the ship, and pretty much waste your time. Wish it would just deduct the funds in the background or something.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Can't wait for more ships, like that bigass station thing from the splash screen. Also explosives.

That's your dry-dock.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The barge is cool but sometimes I wish it was just another magic chute.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One of the lesser talked about things I really like is the dynamic soundtrack. Picks up when you're grappling dangerous things, switches station entirely on shock and concussion. Just some tinny classical music playing till you knock on your helmet to turn the space guitars back on.

Did the latter grapple reeling in a soft crate that perfectly squarely hit me in the face, very embarassing

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game loving owns. Seriously. They have the bones of a great game and things can only get better as they add more stuff for us to chop up. I really loved the intro and the backstory, they've done a real good job of weaving a fun story into it and I was laughing the whole way through the registration process.

I'm still not totally sure that I understand how to safely depressurize a hull. I've done it a few times by pushing airlocks and the air filter things a few times until all the doors opened but other times I ended up just popping off the cap at the end of the ship which caused some rapid depressurization but it still worked! I'm also confused with what the scanner is telling me. I didn't know until reading this thread that the mouse wheel changes views (:cripes:) but I can't figure out what the red/green bars indicate in the first view. I usually just look at a panel outside of the scanner and look for the "CAUTION" message that appears by the crosshair to indicate "yo don't cut this"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know why but for Mackerels you safely vent the whole thing by hitting the vent in the main cabin above the airlock and hitting the airlock when it's done. Vents the cockpit and crawlspace that way

Uncontrolled venting really depends on what's in the space, it seems to do damage to static equipment which can rupture fuel and coolant and discharge electricity. Usually means if you vent the Mackerel crawlspace the back end is blown to a thousand pieces when the fuel tanks go.

Red/green/blue usually corresponds to furnace/barge/processor but can't picture exactly what you're talking about in the scan view.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
When you look at rooms in the first scanner view (that shows stuff like cut points and the like) each room with have a red or green bar next to it. This indicates its pressurization status: green means pressurized and red means depressurized.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I haven't exhaustively tested it yet, but I suspect the manner you breach a room also has an effect. For example, venting a room by deleting a window into it has been a lot more controlled for me so far than making an incision with the splitsaw, which seems to quickly cause the entire surface the incision was made in to explode outwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Back Hack posted:

That's your dry-dock.

Yes, and...?

*grins and helicopters splitsaw head*