Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Insert name here posted:

When you look at rooms in the first scanner view (that shows stuff like cut points and the like) each room with have a red or green bar next to it. This indicates its pressurization status: green means pressurized and red means depressurized.

That’s extremely useful. In the Geckos you can’t depressurize the entire hull but you can do it for the biggest rooms. For example the passenger gecko can be depressurized safely when you get inside the airlock. The problem is that there’s closed doors to pressurized cargo rooms and the pilot hallway. I find even though it’s somewhat unpleasant due to items being scattered everywhere you can get away with this without any major damage.

I tried to cut the entire floor of the gecko so you don’t have to move the seats one by one. It’s effective but you still have to remove seats and throw them on the barge if it gets stuck to the barge at the wrong angle. I wish there was a faster way to fulfill the electrical, mechanical and furniture work orders because in some cases I’m always forced to skip them. Especially mechanical

On a side note, using the split saw makes me think this is what Isaac would have been doing if Dead Space was a more peaceful universe. Perhaps this IS dead space and we are simply living out the prequel. Maybe the final mission of hard space is dismantling a derelict that contains a marker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

zedprime posted:

Did the latter grapple reeling in a soft crate that perfectly squarely hit me in the face, very embarassing

I've been reeling all the stuff in the cockpit into my face recklessly. At least I was until I had a chair hit me so hard it broke my helmet. Now I just click reel a couple times.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone able to shed some light on the ship catalog icons, and what they mean? I'm trying to figure out what all the little icons denote but I've not found anywhere in the tutorial to help. So right now, I'm just picking ships at random.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kraftwerk posted:

The problem is that there’s closed doors to pressurized cargo rooms and the pilot hallway.

I’m not home to try (and haven’t made it to geckos yet anyways) but what about compromising those doors with the split saw BEFORE depressurization?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Qubee posted:

Anyone able to shed some light on the ship catalog icons, and what they mean? I'm trying to figure out what all the little icons denote but I've not found anywhere in the tutorial to help. So right now, I'm just picking ships at random.

They are resource types. I think each one corresponds to a different base material: Nanocarbon, Titanium, Aluminium, electrical items, furniture etc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

1stGear posted:

Used some of the tips from this thread and scrapped an entire Mackerel in one shift. :pcgaming:

This is what I'm trying to do before I clap eyes on a Gecko. It's not easy!!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, and...?

*grins and helicopters splitsaw head*

Its a dock that’s dry.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Science Fact: potato chips will burn in vacuum at temperatures of up to 5000 degrees

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, and...?

*grins and helicopters splitsaw head*

god imagine the sheer destructive power of these guns in a labor riot :getin:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Born to scrap
Space is a gently caress
Cut em all 2345
I am trash man
410,757,864,530 nanocarbon

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Back Hack posted:

Its a dock that’s dry.

But will it cut?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ciaphas posted:

*rigs radio to play "Solidarity Forever" on a loop on corporate frequencies"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wallrod posted:

The tutorial at first made me think it'd be a nice chill methodical game but it's more like production-line butchery.

I admit 15 minutes does feel short, especially when I have to periodically go back for supplies. But like you and some other people said, the point of the career mode is to get efficient at this.

Based on Steam users, there seems to be a disconnect between what the developers are intending and what people are wanting or expecting.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But will it cut?

No, but it will blend.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I unimaginably want some Homeworld DLC, let me tear up some Ion Canon frigates

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

God, yes. I want to have to cut up the subsystems to safely detach the ion cannon. Let me dismantle a Hiigaran battlecruiser cowards!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Stormgale posted:

I unimaginably want some Homeworld DLC, let me tear up some Ion Canon frigates

yeah so much.

I'm a bit sad that only the ship backdrops and general art direction is of Homeworld asthetic. I did expect a bit more Homeworld vibe in sound, ship design etc.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
One QOL feature I would like is to make the barge/processor/furnace way more forgiving. Especially the barge. Missing them is generally just annoying and doesn't add anything to the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AndrewP posted:

Based on Steam users, there seems to be a disconnect between what the developers are intending and what people are wanting or expecting.

This bums me out. "Game is worse because there's a time limit also give us co-op" seems to be most of the reviews, whether it's positive or negative. I imagine the devs are going to have to bow to the pressure of the people screeching about how a time limit doesn't let them play the game how they want to play the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AndrewP posted:

I admit 15 minutes does feel short, especially when I have to periodically go back for supplies. But like you and some other people said, the point of the career mode is to get efficient at this.

This is fundamentally a speedrun game and the game will remain better with a short time limit forcing your hand. But they'll ultimately lose nothing when they inevitably add in the progression stuff to sandbox mode because you can still play the good game with the time limit.

BillyJoeBob posted:

God, yes. I want to have to cut up the subsystems to safely detach the ion cannon. Let me dismantle a Hiigaran battlecruiser cowards!
Appreciate the avatar-reply combo here.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
wanna break thos ships

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

they made a post about thos time limits

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1161580/discussions/0/2527030866856316194/

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Right now I feel like I waste too much time battling the controls, trying to figure out where I am in the space, "can I pull that? no it's pulling me", etc. This is fine initially in the training missions, but eats up a lot of time when you have a 15 minute limit.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't worry, you'll get used to the controls.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

That’s extremely useful. In the Geckos you can’t depressurize the entire hull but you can do it for the biggest rooms. For example the passenger gecko can be depressurized safely when you get inside the airlock. The problem is that there’s closed doors to pressurized cargo rooms and the pilot hallway. I find even though it’s somewhat unpleasant due to items being scattered everywhere you can get away with this without any major damage.

The safe way to do it would be to get inside, pressurize the main room, open all the doors and only then depressurize everything.
But who has time for that? So far I haven't died opening those doors so I won't bother.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Controls could use some remapping but i'd argue understanding how the physics of the game and objects work is kinda fundamental. Knowing if you need to tether a panel or grab/bump it is pretty much how I basically was making 2-3 mil per mackerel in one run (before fees).

Doing runs down the main cargo area popping all the panels then yeeting the chairs fast is so fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think they could put in alternate jobs into the career mode that are non-timed jobs but pay a little less, but then I can see people getting all pissed off for getting punished by getting less money for playing the game how they want to play it. I just worry that it'll become an endless cycle of trying to please the masses while retaining the vision of the game they intended.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oh from my previous post:

If you're trying to grab delicate electronics especailly from tight cockpits, ofteb it's better to cut out the space around it.

Also:

Do not be afraid of wastage, at least at the start 1 shift is 500k of costs, so doing 1 shift of 2 million vs 2 shifts of 3 million isn't that much more profit, if you have <30 of a ship left move onto a new one. Also learn which parts to prioritise, on MAckarels my go to is:

Get in, go to back, pop back and top off, get the reactor in, do the sides + nacells, get the sides, empty main cargo then grab the good stuff out of cockpit and don't try and disentangle cockpit and airlock between the 2 metal types.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Without ruining it for everybody involved I don't see how it ends without custom dificulty for story where you just set stuff like timer/oxygen/health on/off to get sandbox but with debt and logs. Call it Union mode.

Building in work order timed/nontimed or shift timer upgrades is compromising balance and story cohesion in weird ways.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think adding the ability to turn off the timer is fine, I don't think it needs a balancing counterweight. if people wanna/need to run the game like that that's fine, it's like Celeste's assist modes.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
The fuel, 02 and tether quantity already put a time limit on how much you can do before needing to stop off at the jack; i think it would flow better if you were being charged by the minute instead of in discrete shifts. That could lead into a fun choice of eyeballing how many more profitable minutes are actually left in your hulk/is it worth it to strip and cram the whole thing in the incinerator? Instead of just, "well the reactor is still in there, guess I'll go out for another 15, pull it and then throw as many computers as i can into the barge"

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I found the best audio log!

:3:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Flow better is exactly what Lynx doesn't want. Hands off my perfect corporate hellscape.

Charging more for 15 minutes of free time than 15 minutes of shift time is the corporate answer but we get caught on the video game psychology side where now you're punishing people who already feel bad about the game telling them the way they want to play is wrong.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

My issue right now is that I don't really know how much money I'm pulling in when I do it. It'd be nice to see like a "+$100,000" whenever I harvested something. Or even maybe just let me know an estimate when I eyeball something.

Maybe these things are already in there but I haven't seen them. Right now I'm just pulling stuff, at the end it tells me a list of everything I've done but I can't really remember what specific parts were, and frankly the money system is confusing in general. I have debt, I make money to pay that debt, but shifts cost money? Do I earn LT on the job? They don't explain this well imo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

YOUR YARD BERTH TIME IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE
PLEASE ADD MORE TIME AT THE LYNX TERMINAL

ADD MORE TIME? ($###k/5 minutes)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best tip I have so far is take advantage of the unlimited time on the last tutorial mission to cut up the entire ship so you can get really comfortable with the controls, it’s all just a ton of fun taking an entire ship and Marie Kondo’ing the whole fucker into bins

EDit: you can also save on rocket fuel and time to use the grapple gun + right click to pull you at the ship in the beginning, just be sure you brake in time or you’ll smash your helmet in the process

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 18, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AndrewP posted:

My issue right now is that I don't really know how much money I'm pulling in when I do it. It'd be nice to see like a "+$100,000" whenever I harvested something. Or even maybe just let me know an estimate when I eyeball something.

Maybe these things are already in there but I haven't seen them. Right now I'm just pulling stuff, at the end it tells me a list of everything I've done but I can't really remember what specific parts were, and frankly the money system is confusing in general. I have debt, I make money to pay that debt, but shifts cost money? Do I earn LT on the job? They don't explain this well imo.

it should pop up on the left what your profit is when you toss something into a bin. it's hard to see though as it's fairly transparent and the screen is visually noisy

also shifts cost money, yeah. you're renting all of your gear from your employer, as well as paying for your bunk and life support

also yeah the tutorial kinda sucks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beef posted:

I really hope this is the same ship explosion tech they are going to use for HW3 :allears:

I don't imagine it'd happen but I want them to throw a battlecruiser or frigate in

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tamba posted:

The safe way to do it would be to get inside, pressurize the main room, open all the doors and only then depressurize everything.
But who has time for that? So far I haven't died opening those doors so I won't bother.

Nice tip for depressurizing a room, you can use your hands to anchor yourself to wall, prevents you from getting pushed around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It is shocking how solid the foundation is this early. Most EA games you get a shell that becomes a foundation after about 3 years. It's fun so far and has great potential in the future.