Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to hear some more of what people are experiencing. It seems like there's more cases everywhere as countries try to open up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for your replies. Sal, I can only offer my sympathies :smith: My WFH setup was using a kitchen stool which sucked but thankfully that only lasted about a month and a half. Earwicker, are your in Louisiana or Los Angeles?

Are there any states that have had an effective response? I have a pretty good idea which ones aren't but I don't hear much about a lot of the rest.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, this is a thing that you can expect if your country gets things under control. NZ is just getting over it's second outbreak - touch wood, the last internal restrictions will get lifted next week - but we've regularly had people escaping from quarantine, private security guards turned out to be useless and got replaced by defence personnel. The most recent guy did the bedsheet escape! NZ has had 55,000 people come in during the pandemic and 9 escape incidents.

My big takeaway from this most recent outbreak is that it isn't really practical to have a perfect quarantine system, but even an imperfect setup has value because it can give you long virus free periods. The tail end period also tends to really loving drag as well, having to decide what precautions you do when there are just a couple of cases trickling in from areas far away from you is a pain, I try an err on the side of caution but mostly I just stay home except for very small events because it's easier on my mind than being the one guy that loses the lottery and causes another cluster because of peer pressure.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 30, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

How are things in AUS now? I've heard generally good news e.g Victoria basically down to zero community spread, does it look likely that AUS will become covid free in the near future?

I'm also wondering about movement within the EU. What nations have closed their borders? And was being part of the EU an obstruction to nations closing their borders?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, it's just so incredibly frustrating looking in from one of the 'good' countries. I hope things get better as trump goes away but there's just so much damage that has been done :smith:

We're on tenterhooks in NZ atm, there's been some cases that came out of a quarantine facility but touchwood the contact tracing seems to have got ahead of the virus spread. For a few days there everyone was wondering if Auckland was going to go into lockdown (for the 3rd time) over Christmas.

I've been looking at the Johns Hopkins tracker and it seems like there's still a lot of active cases in NSW. Are all arrivals going in through there or something?