Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Need a tent recommendation. Basic stuff, car camping, about "four person" size (which is always more like three at a stretch, but that's fine). Sturdiness and ease of set up are plusses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
don’t forget to pack lube OP, hth

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Need a tent recommendation. Basic stuff, car camping, about "four person" size (which is always more like three at a stretch, but that's fine). Sturdiness and ease of set up are plusses.

I like our Kelty 4 person. We got it cheap at REI off season. I think most modern tents are easy to set up. REI brand are pretty good too. We have a 2 person REI that is nice but very small.

One word of warning - our 4 person is a great tent but the ventilation is kind of sad. If it is hot, it stays hot in there. Make sure whatever you buy has good screen coverage to get some air.

Camping rules. I am supposed to be car camping right now. Unfortunately we thought we would beat corona by reserving a "group" site at a state park for three people, instead we got screwed because individual sites are opening but group are not.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

how do I find places to free camp that wont get me hosed up for trespassing?

https://freecampsites.net/, iOverlander and Freeroam apps. If you're in the US, BLM land dispersed camping is free. https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/camping

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If you are car camping and packed size doesn’t matter

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/camping/copper-canyon-4-person-tent

I used this tent for 6 weeks of geology field camp. It was very easy to setup and take down by myself and the ability to stand inside is amazing. Compared to the other students I lived in a comfy mansion.
It also Has a rain fly that still allows for the windows to be opened so you always have decent ventilation even if you have the fly on.

Do not buy this if you need to hike it anywhere it’s big and heavy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tents are for chumps. Hammocks are where it's at

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Is this thread a cry for help OP? Does "long camping trip" really mean you're going out there to uh...to off yourself? Please don't do that. I know the world is dogshit right now, but do not go gently into that good night.

absolutely not why would I spend so much effort to off myself.

it is always good to know what your options are! If society gets a bit crazier it won't be bad to know of a secret bit of crown land that no ones else does.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 19, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rutibex posted:

Tents are for chumps. Hammocks are where it's at

Hammocks are pretty fuckin awesome it's true.

quote:

absolutely not why would I spend so much effort to off myself. but it is always good to know what your options are! If society gets a bit crazier it won't be bad to know of a secret bit of crown land that no ones else does.

Look this is the forum that brought us Muerte's death march, we're all a little on edge when someone talks about voluntarily going outside.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
My friends talked me into going (car) camping in a few weeks, I've got tent, sleeping mat, and sleeping bag taken care of. What else should I be thinking to bring?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
camping owns

just got back from a trip to the Florence, OR dunes, what an awesome place. ATV rentals were shut down and I envied the guys in ATVs and trucks out there having fun, but the camping was great (we camped at Jessie Honeyman park)

fuckin, dang ol smores and fire cooked hot dogs, man

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

My friends talked me into going (car) camping in a few weeks, I've got tent, sleeping mat, and sleeping bag taken care of. What else should I be thinking to bring?

A camp chair if they don't have one for you - any cheap thing will get the job done. If they're dragging you camping then I imagine they're taking care of everything food related?

A headlamp is always good, but your phone can get the job done. If you're going for a while, might want to think about how you're going to charge your phone if you'll be using it. A rain jacket if the forecast is leaning that way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

if you are car camping then i donno, a case of beer? but seriously, tarps. nothing is more useful camping than tarps

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Stealth camping is very cool. Also, for any other California goons, you can camp drat near anywhere in National Forest land. You just have to move spots every two weeks, and abide by the fire rules. Also, you need to take a quick online test to make campfires or even use camp stoves.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rutibex posted:

if you are car camping then i donno, a case of beer? but seriously, tarps. nothing is more useful camping than tarps

A cooler for your beer. If you get a big enough cooler it can be a seat too, but no back support.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

A cooler for your beer. If you get a big enough cooler it can be a seat too, but no back support.

this is a pro move. those folding camp chairs can give you adequate back support. they are way too bulky for hiking but for a car they are ideal

Rad-daddio posted:

Stealth camping is very cool. Also, for any other California goons, you can camp drat near anywhere in National Forest land. You just have to move spots every two weeks, and abide by the fire rules. Also, you need to take a quick online test to make campfires or even use camp stoves.

camping in california must be the best. with your fantastic weather i bet people just live in the forest year round

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rutibex posted:

Amen to this. It rained on us hard when we were out, and the tarps and canopies people brought were lifesavers. In the end we had this intricate setup of tarps to tents to canopies and it worked great to keep us dry while we drank way, way too much

e. Also I love my little LED lantern with a hook for hanging. So handy. Runs forever, can be hung on canopies / trees / tent ceilings / wherever. Mine even has a small fan, which is nice for circulating air in the tent on hot nights. The one I have is like this one.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 19, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
these are stupidly priced for a couple pieces of metal and fabric but they are SO nice to have after a 10 hour hike

https://www.amazon.ca/Helinox-Chair...tag=googcana-20

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm very tempted to get one of these but I am afraid other hardcore hikers will make fun of me
https://www.amazon.ca/Trolley-Shopping-Grocery-Foldable-Tailgate/dp/B01D8DW40Y/

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Rutibex posted:

i'm very tempted to get one of these but I am afraid other hardcore hikers will make fun of me
https://www.amazon.ca/Trolley-Shopping-Grocery-Foldable-Tailgate/dp/B01D8DW40Y/

How far are you looking to hike that thing? Anything more than like 100 yards and I’d say gently caress it and just get a proper pack. God forbid the wheels break on you 1 mile in like that one goon who tried to hike across the country.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I wish I didn't live in place where camping in the summer means a miserable hellscape of 70% humidity and triple-digit summer temperatures.

I had plans for spring camping with my kids but the coronavirus sure hosed those plans up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HamAdams posted:

How far are you looking to hike that thing? Anything more than like 100 yards and I’d say gently caress it and just get a proper pack. God forbid the wheels break on you 1 mile in like that one goon who tried to hike across the country.

the wheels are designed for "rough" terrain. i already have a proper pack, I was going to use this to haul heavier stuff and food.

is there any kind of portable wilderness cart that is robust? this thing looked like the best i could find. everything else were huge wagons that didn't feel very portable

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rutibex posted:

this is a pro move. those folding camp chairs can give you adequate back support. they are way too bulky for hiking but for a car they are ideal

My cooler has cup holders.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

My cooler has cup holders.

these are the best coolers, I love mine

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I've only gone camping with degenerates who drink and smoke weed the entire time so someone always ends up pissing in their tent or falling in a fire or something. Then we end up hungover for like a week.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I've only gone camping with degenerates who drink and smoke weed the entire time so someone always ends up pissing in their tent or falling in a fire or something. Then we end up hungover for like a week.

type A campers- wilderness, beauty, nature, silence, hiking, aminals

type B- **SuBsTaNcEs**

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

naem posted:

type A campers- wilderness, beauty, nature, silence, hiking, aminals

type B- **SuBsTaNcEs**

You can have both

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

naem posted:

type A aminals

type B- **SuBsTaNcEs**

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I always think it sounds pretty cool, and a couple of times I've been right on the verge of signing up for weeklong canoeing trips. But then I remember ticks, and mosquitoes, and having to pee at 3 am.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
What's the best supplies for going on a week long squatchin expedition

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dear Watson posted:

If you are car camping and packed size doesn’t matter

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/camping/copper-canyon-4-person-tent

I used this tent for 6 weeks of geology field camp. It was very easy to setup and take down by myself and the ability to stand inside is amazing. Compared to the other students I lived in a comfy mansion.
It also Has a rain fly that still allows for the windows to be opened so you always have decent ventilation even if you have the fly on.

Do not buy this if you need to hike it anywhere it’s big and heavy.

Seconding the eureka recommendation. They have quality stuff for cheaper than most prices. I’ve bought one new and a solo one used from the used section on their site. Smaller than what you were looking for but this oldish style a-frame was fantastic

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/timberline%C2%AE-2-person-tent

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Derpies posted:

Ideally you should go with a 'squatch. That will save you a lot of time.

naem
May 29, 2011

adventure bucket

I can eat the food and then poop in the bucket

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Derpies posted:

HamAdams posted:

don’t forget to pack lube OP, hth

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

adventure bucket

How do they taste?

naem
May 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

How do they taste?

honestly? good, like not at all bad.

the real advantage is that it’s freeze dried and lasts like, 25 years. assuming I manage to own real estate like, ever, I’ll buy some # 10 cans and sleep better at night knowing I “have food.” as is with this bucket o’ pouches I know I can crawl out of my partially collapsed CA apt building buck naked in a pair of beige™️® Crocs and have both “some food” and a bucket, to poop in. :911: :black101: :blush: :bravo2:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

naem posted:

adventure bucket

nothing I enjoy more than stroganoff with my buddies in the forest

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mountain house kicks rear end with the breakfast scramble my personal fav. Sucks that they’re relatively expensive

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

best bale posted:

Mountain house kicks rear end with the breakfast scramble my personal fav. Sucks that they’re relatively expensive

odd that the eggs would be the best. whenever i watch MRE review videos they always say the egg meals are the worst

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Rutibex posted:

odd that the eggs would be the best. whenever i watch MRE review videos they always say the egg meals are the worst

aren't MRE's stupid military stuff which is awful? the stuff you get from normal outdoor shops is fine mostly. I recommend the boil in the bag non-dry stuff if weight isn't a problem.

also, pleaaaaase everyone clean up after yourselves when camping. found so much poo poo idiots leave in the woods after enjoying nature it's insane. sometimes it's literal poo poo and toilet paper

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rutibex posted:

Freeze dried eggs that you rehydrate are so much better than whatever weird poo poo they do to eggs to make them stable in a retort pouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

also, pleaaaaase everyone clean up after yourselves when camping. found so much poo poo idiots leave in the woods after enjoying nature it's insane. sometimes it's literal poo poo and toilet paper

this is a matter of public safety. if you leave a bunch of garbage food around a camp site it will attract animals and they will come back to that camp site. leaving a messy site isn't just gross for the next camper its dangerous