Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i just got a pair of new trekking poles and wow what a difference! i though they were only for dorks, but it turns out its is 100x easier to carry a heavy pack with these things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q2YwOE4okA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Rutibex posted:

i just got a pair of new trekking poles and wow what a difference! i though they were only for dorks, but it turns out its is 100x easier to carry a heavy pack with these things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q2YwOE4okA

Got a recommendation for sticks? It’s the last somewhat major thing I have to buy for a backcountry hunting trip in September

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

absolutely owns but lol at taking any kind of a corner in that thing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HamAdams posted:

Got a recommendation for sticks? It’s the last somewhat major thing I have to buy for a backcountry hunting trip in September

i got these ones. after doing research i found the solid aluminum ones were best for my purposes, as they are much more durable than carbon fiber and only slightly heavier (being heavier might be an advantage if you are using it to defend yourself from wildlife :v:). its mostly just an aluminum stick so you cant really go wrong, but you want to get one with collapsible adjustment rather than the cheaper twist kind. cork handle is the best:

https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Aluminum-Collapsible/dp/B01L2HYPNW/

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 4, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been wanting to go camping all year but mostly didn't because I'm a depressed alcoholic. It was super cold all spring and then we had a week of nice weather and now it's 80-90F with 70% humidity every day.

Last time I went camping it was super warm out and I got zero sleep at night and ended up sleeping in my car the next day with the vents on which drained my battery and I had to get a jump.

I don't know of many great camping places by me. I go to Bong Recreation Area but that place blows. It's all flat prairies. Last year I went to Kettle Moraine South and that's actually hilly for just being about an hour away.

I have a ton of backpacking gear but have never gone backpacking (I have a bad habit). I don't know where to go near me and there are trails but I don't know how to set up campsites along the way or anything. I don't know who to call or how to plan it or anything. Anyone know of any good camping or especially backpacking places in very southeast Wisconsin?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been wanting to go camping all year but mostly didn't because I'm a depressed alcoholic. It was super cold all spring and then we had a week of nice weather and now it's 80-90F with 70% humidity every day.

Last time I went camping it was super warm out and I got zero sleep at night and ended up sleeping in my car the next day with the vents on which drained my battery and I had to get a jump.

I don't know of many great camping places by me. I go to Bong Recreation Area but that place blows. It's all flat prairies. Last year I went to Kettle Moraine South and that's actually hilly for just being about an hour away.

I have a ton of backpacking gear but have never gone backpacking (I have a bad habit). I don't know where to go near me and there are trails but I don't know how to set up campsites along the way or anything. I don't know who to call or how to plan it or anything. Anyone know of any good camping or especially backpacking places in very southeast Wisconsin?

Devils Lake state park? you are in kind of built up area you will have to drive a bit to get to good hiking trails.

setting up a campsite is easy what kind of gear do you have? do you have a free standing tent, or a tarp tent? or a camping hammock?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Freestanding tent. I love it. It's an old 2 person REI half dome I think. I also just picked up an Osprey Atmos 65 (I think) during the winter for... I don't know why. I love buying backpacking gear.

Everyone always raves about hammocks but I don't care to try that. I have sleep apnea and can't sleep on my back at all. I heard Devil's Lake is great. It's about a 2.5 hour drive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
well it depends on how far you plan to hike. if its a multi-day adventure one of those free standing tents is quite heavy to be carrying all day. hammocks are great because its just a bunch of loose nylon and some rope so its very light. though if its just a matter of hiking a couple hours from your car to a campsite than the free standing tent is preferable because you dont have to find a good spot to place it.

it looks like you have a good backpack its pretty similar to mine (though i am jealous of those belt pouches)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It was a camping circle but never start one after daminia. Throught the break of dawn where people got lost all was found in the campground.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zeluth posted:

It was a camping circle but never start one after daminia. Throught the break of dawn where people got lost all was found in the campground.

are you alright?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Zeluth posted:

Damiana is an aphrodisiac, were you trying to reenact gooncamp? :gooncamp:

Also I think you accidentally some words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We put out the fire.