Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Because the real world is sadly filled with creeps, I thought a nice alternative would be to use the default database in the newest version of TEW, TEW 2020. It comes with a database called the “Cornellverse,” which is very deep and has been evolving for the past fifteen years.

It comes with 35 companies in it, but to streamline things, I’m focusing on the Oceania companies. Except for APW, which seems really loving boring. So that leaves us with these three to look at.

Deep Impact Wrestling

A hardcore-focused company, with just $27,500 to their name. You can get away with anything in front of this crowd, except for matches involving glass and explosives. There is no women’s division here.

Revolution Australian Wrestling

This is the wrestling show that barely has wrestling. You start with the most money at $2,750,000 and are the most popular. This is very much storyline focused, with match quality taking a far step back in importance. They currently have no women’s division.

ZEN: Art of Wrestling

The closest thing the game has to CHIKARA – a mix of comic books and lucha libre. You start off with just $55,000. The New Zealand-based company will allow for more freedom with gimmicks in a family friendly environment. This company allows intergender matches.

I’ll skip the deeper details on these three for now, and will cover the one that wins in more detail in the next post.

Vote for the one you’d like the forum to play for! I’ll give this at least 24 hours, though it might nto be until Sunday that I get to counting votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Man, I've got to vote for Revolution Australian Wrestling, RAW, despite ZEN being really cool and fun and basically being my wrestling introduction without the problematic aspects. Wrestling Soap Opera is too good to pass up on.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've never actually played as RAW so it'll be something new to me.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm voting for New Zealand Lucha Underground

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Putting in a vote for ZEN

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

You are absolutely bang on that APW is just super loving boring. I'm shocked that Adam didn't just close them down since they've barely progressed and are just constantly losing talent to RAW. I suppose that a more vanilla promotion is required in Australia though so that's why they stick around.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A vote for Deep Impact Wrestling because Boo Smithson is the only Cornellverse wrestler I care about and I want him to do well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
ZEN

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

A vote for Deep Impact Wrestling because Boo Smithson is the only Cornellverse wrestler I care about and I want him to do well.

Actually I'm changing for vote to DIW because Boo Smithson is my favourite hobo grappler.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
ZEN, so you can get real weird with it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

DIW sounds like the most horrible one so do that

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I vote ZEN

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

DEEP IMPACT LETS GO DEEP & HARD

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Current vote count:

DIW (3): Cavauro, ChrisBTY, Testekill
RAW (1): karmicknight
ZEN (5): Clockwork Roctapus, Insertnamehere31, PublicOpinion, Senrio, super macho dude

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2020

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah, ZEN feels like it has the most potential. +1 from me.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Punch McLightning posted:

Current vote count:

DIW (3): Cavauro, ChrisBTY, Testekill
RAW (1): karmicknight
ZEN (5): Clockwork Roctapus, Insertnamehere31, PublicOpinion, Senrio, super macho dude

I also voted for ZEN, I just did it as a jokey joke.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it doesn't make sense to vote for the wrong one as a joke. a few users told me they're really voting for deep impact and not "zen" so swap a few of the names

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
We're doing ZEN, baybeee. I'll post more tomorrow/Monday.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
ZEN is a good choice, glad it won since only I voted for RAW.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I offer anti-support of this endeavor

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

I offer anti-support of this endeavor

:smith:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
graphic design is my passion

Here's the ZEN Roster! ZEN Master is the top champion of the promotion. ZEN Conceptual is a midcard title without a title. ZEN Harmony is a tag team belt.

ZERO - f/k/a Super Zero - is the current ZEN Master. After ten years in the company, he turned rudo for the first time in 2018 by turning on his tag team partner Vertigo. He is a very good flyer & technician, but lacks charisma.
Kalliope Woodchuck is a bubbly tecnico, who was a graduate of the ZEN Temple Dojo. Just four years into her career, she has a ton of charisma and shows promise as a flyer and technician. She's also been part of a romance intrigue angle with rudo Buckminster Snark that has worked great.
Bruce Strange and Mister Hyde make up The Ghost Hunters, who are the ZEN Harmony champions. Strange brought himself to ZEN four years ago to hunt down the various bizarre creatures of ZEN and is a good technician. Mister Hyde is the descendant of Dr. Jekyll, and has been blessed with great strength and intelligence thanks to a perfect version of the potion Jekyll tried to drink. Hyde is one of the biggest people on the roster, and has promising charisma and brawling.

Among our rudos, there's two stables. First is Skullduggery, led by Cyanide with Damian Dastardly as his "heir" to leading the group. Lerone Slim and Rekha round out the group. Cyanide has been in ZEN for over a decade, and has constantly been scheming ways to bend ZEN to his own bizarre wishes. Cyanide is a cornerstone of the promotion and a great technician. Dastardly is another evil tecnico, who is a great technician with a ton of charisma and mic skills. Slim is just three years into his career and is another ZEN trainee. His in-ring technique is built around the various Slim-plexes he throws. He thinks he's the coolest guy on the roster, and he might be right! Finally, Rekha is the bad rear end of the group, and provides muscle to the group. She's a young trainee, and while not the best in the ring yet, she could improve as a menacing brawler.

There is also the Alien Armada. Aiming to conquer the world, this group is led by Karrg the Conquerer, who wants to enslave the planet. Naturally, he's decided to start with New Zealand via ZEN. Just four years into his career, he's a brawler with upside who is naturally charismatic.
Man O' War - who had been a lifelong tecnico - joined the Armada as a surprise deputy in 2019. Another cornerstone of the promotion, he's been around for 12 years and is very charismatic. He's a decent high flyer, but not the best in the company.
Deathwatch Beetle is another member of the group. He's a genetically enhanced beetle warrior who serves Karrg. A good brawler, he might be the most menacing member of the roster.
Finally, Laguna the Loyal rounds out the group. He's a alien fish that - shockingly - is exceedingly loyal to Karrg. Just one year into his career, he's green, and has mainly been used to run interference for Karrg and as Beetle's tag partner. He could become a good brawler with charisma.

Among the other rudos:

Aukland Raider is another young wrestler who was given his gimmick due to the growing popularity of American football in Oceania. He should become a very good brawler.
Azazel is a ZEN homegrown talent. His gimmick is that of a fallen angel, though eh had earlier worked a split personality gimmick who worked both rudo and tecnico in the same match. Despite being around for seven years now, he hasn't had much success. He's an okay flyer
Booster Boy is a very good high flyer who was homegrown. Exceedingly smug, he has a lot of charisma.
Buckminster Snark is a charismatic jerk, who also happens to love Kalliope Woodchuck. That forbidden love angle has been working with the crowd. Snark is becoming a good all-around worker.
C-W-A is a clown - with attitude~!! He's been part of the midcard for the 12 years of ZEN's history. He's a solid worker with good brawling ability & charisma, though seems unlikely to be able to move too much further up the card.
HalloWarped is a supernatural character in the company, who's towards the top of the card. He's a good technician with good charisma, and is expected to be a future star for the company. He's managed by Guru Vishni.
Pink Spider is the most flamboyant person in ZEN. He's a great flyer and technician, with great charisma & mic skills. He teams with Trevor Feather as "Pinkie and the Vane."
Toady was the first graduate of the ZEN Temple Dojo. He's a flashy flyer, though not the most solid. He's also a sneaky jerk! He's managed by Guru Vishni.
Trevor Feather is almost as flamboyant as his tag partner, Pink Spider, but he's more annoying. He does a "peacock strut" that gets the crowd mad everytime. He's also a good high flyer with lots of charisma.

Blue Flea is a 28 year old opening card act, positioned as a plucky underdog. He's an okay flyer but lacking in psychology or charisma.
Crime Buster is ZEN's "official enforcer of law, order, and justice." Only two years into his career, he shows promise as a charismatic brawler, but questions abound as to his future.
Devilfish is one of the top tecnicos of the company and a former three-time ZEN Master. He's a decent high flyer with good star quality.
Ferdy Lloyd is another younger worker. A trainee of the ZEN Temple Dojo, he's short on charisma but has some raw talent as a high flyer. Right now, he's just a white meat babyface.
Halloween Knight is the owner of ZEN. A five-time ZEN Master, he is a decent brawler and flyer but excels as a technician. A centerpiece of ZEN, Knight is 35 and hopes to help his company build for the future.
Killer B is a homegrown star, the second grad of the defunct ZEN Temple Dojo. A good high flyer, he has decent but not excellent charisma. He is managed by Molly Cuddle.
Pumpkin Jack is another top tecnico, with two runs as the ZEN Master over the past nine years in ZEN. The mysterious worker is a very good all-around worker in the ring, and has decent charisma to go with it.
Urban Fox is just one year into his career. A fun babyface, he's green as grass but has a promising amount of charisma.
Vertigo has been a part of the ZEN midcard for 12 years now. Never a main eventer, he is a good high flyer. He has a history of feuding with C-W-A off and on, as well as having been ina tag team with ZERO for a long time, until ZERO turned on him.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
+ Turn Auckland Raider tecnico
+ Give Auckland Raider an American football themed faction
+ Print Money

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Among the non-wrestlers, we have:

Classy Paul Massey, one of the best New Zealander wrestlers ever. He works for us as a road agent and has been a key part of steering ZEN since its creation.
Our referees are Herbie H Reedman and Steven Yale. Yale is the head ref, but nearly blind (in kayfabe). That is a big part of comedy spots in matches.
The announce team is made up of Sparky Sparks, who is the play-by-play announcer and a great baker, and Dustin Thane, who is very enthusiastic. Very, very enthusiastic.

Molly Cuddle is a decent charismatic valet who currently manages Killer B. She isn't anything special, but is married to ZERO in real life.
Guru Vishni is nicknamed "The High Priest of Enlightenment, Tranquility, and Low Blows." I think that says a lot! The current manager of Toady and HalloWarped, he also at one point created a client named Mirror Universe John Gordon by forming a portal to another dimension via meditation.

Halloween Knight & Cyanide pull double duty as road agents.

And we're David Avatar, a referee who is now the owner and booker of ZEN. We're probably better than the two refs that are already part of ZEN, but why rub it in?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Notes on our product:

Our events should be 80% matches, 20% angles
Matches our rated on a ratio of 40:60 to 55:45 in-ring vs popularity ratings.
Luchas de apuesta are big deals and taken very seriously.
Fans don't want dangerous, controversial, or bloody matches. Ditto deathmatches. They also don't want risky angles or angles rated on sex appeal.
Matches under 10 minutes won't be able to reach top ratings.
Every worker is expected to have a gimmick, or else they and their segments take a big hit.
Each show needs a story telling match and a high spot match.
Fans expect storylines.
Attendance will be heavily impacted by the status of the wrestling industry.
Segments can be boosted by crazy bumps or stunt bumps.
Even our biggest stars can use comedy-based gimmicks.

Our show rating's match rating will be 70% based off the main event, 20% off the next best match, and 10% off the rest of the show. Angles are similar - 70% of the overall angle rating comes from the best angle, 20% from the second highest, and 10% from the third highest rated.

We do have a tecnico & rudo split, of course, but it's only loosely enforced. So same disposition matches will only have minor penalties.

We are required to have 20 wrestlers. We have 30, so we're good.

Edit: and financially, almost everyone is making just $20 or $30 a show. The exceptions are:

Cyanide - $210 per show
Dustin Thane - $230 per show (!)
Halloween Knight - $260 per show
Sparky Sparks - $250 per show

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 21, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seems like CWA should be your top star. Just create a new group around him based on Los Psycho Circus and then bring in people to be CLOWN WITH MURDER and CLOWN WITH DAVE or something

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Put Boo Smithson on your shortlist. Throw money at him when his contract is set to expire. Then make him champ.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pumpkin jack should be the champion. he is the best of all times

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ChrisBTY posted:

Put Boo Smithson on your shortlist. Throw money at him when his contract is set to expire. Then make him champ.

In the Clown stable

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to expand the roster too much, but we should be able to bring in Boo Smithson for about $40 a night.

Boo's a great technical wrestler who has absolutely no charisma. He is camera shy and has a pronounced stutter. He's the current DIW Champion, as that company has embraced him as a misfit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

punnkin

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Have Crime Buster lose every single match in the most embarrassing fashion possible

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Now, for storylines. Our target is to have at least two storylines that have more than 35 heat.

Also, it should be noted that the winners and losers of storylines don’t have any benefits/losses from that beyond what already happens in matches and angles.

Cyanide vs. Vertigo - 31 heat. This is the first feud between these two originals. Cyanide, the leader of Skullduggery, has declared that Vertigo must be eliminated. Cyanide is currently winning the storyline.

Dastardly Deeds Done Dirt Cheap – 35 heat. Damian Dastardly wants to prove himself as a real evil guy to Cyanide, so he’s decided to target Killer B. Dastardly is currently winning this storyline.

Eek! Aliens! – 33 heat. When the Alien Armada's plans for domination crossed a line, it was ZEN's resident defender, Halloween Knight, who made a move to oppose them. Having recruited Devilfish and Crime Buster as back-up, can he drive back Karrg and co?

This storyline has Crime Buster, Devilfish, & Halloween Knight against Karrg, Laguna, Man O’War, and Deathwatch Beetle. Deathwatch, Laguna, and Buster currently have supporting roles, with the rest having major roles.

Snark in the Middle – 22 heat. The ZEN Conceptual champion Kalliope Woodchuck has her hands full with the Casual Violence pairing of Lerone Slim and Rekha from Skullduggery, but it's the presence of Buckminster Snark that is making things interesting...is he there to help or hinder her? Buckminster and Kalliope are currently unaligned, making this a three-way storyline.

ZERO vs. Jack – 41 heat. ZERO’s first challenger for the ZEN Master title is Pumpkin Jack. This storyline hasn't progressed any.

We'll get started on our show next. It's going to be ZEN Way of the Dreamer, and it's in 12 days. We run one show a month.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Oh yeah!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Change Crime Buster's gimmick to "Cop Caller Buster". Keep him tecnico. He's the enforcer of "Don't call the loving cops"

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 22, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
We have struck a deal with Japanese promotion World Level Wrestling to accept their workers on excursion. They're another oddball company, fairly similar to the real world's DDT, so this should work out well for us.

Some more in-game news: APW and DIW are now at war with each other. Affecting our neck of the woods less, GSW has started a war with both PSW and IPW. In Europe, EWA and VWA are at war with each other. In less hostile news, OLLIE is now taking developmental talent from EILL.

RAW manager Autumn Gleeson will be filming a TV show in a couple of months. This is really only noteworthy because she’s based out of New Zealand.

------------------

A couple of news bits from backstage of our show:

Halloween Knight has been teaching his protege HalloWarped about ring psychology, while Cyanide has been teaching Ferdy Lloyd about mic work and Lerone Slim about psychology.

This show is going to be in January. Our season finale show is in April.

It’s time to put our show together. I’ll ask you 3-5 questions each time we do this to determine our direction.

1) ZERO is going to defend his ZEN Master belt against Pumpkin Jack. ZERO just won the belt in December (remember that this show is going to be in January). Should he beat Jack clean or cheaply?

2) Which member of Casual Violence should Kalliope Woodchuck defend her ZEN Conceptual title against: Lerone Slim or Rekha?

3) Do you want to write off the Crime Buster character? We’ll keep the performer.

4) We really need a tecnico tag team. Should we turn the team of Warp-Jump (HalloWicked & Toady) or should we form a team with Devilfish and a tecnico-turning rudo?

4a) If you want to put the team together: do you want Devilfish’s partner to be Aukland Raider or C-W-A?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
1) Cheaply, to continue the feud. Still has good heat.

2) Slim, we should save the Rekha fight.

3) Keep the character, build to a rudo turn

4+5) Use Dark Matches to test out Devilfish's chemistry with CWA and Raider. If they're both the same, team with Raider, otherwise team with the better charisma

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Senerio posted:

1) Cheaply, to continue the feud. Still has good heat.

2) Slim, we should save the Rekha fight.

3) Keep the character, build to a rudo turn

4+5) Use Dark Matches to test out Devilfish's chemistry with CWA and Raider. If they're both the same, team with Raider, otherwise team with the better charisma

I can’t argue against any of these answers, so I’ll second them.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I vote we turn Crime Buster into Time Buster, and now he comes from the grim future to save us in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

1) Cheap
2) Slim
3) Rudo Turn. He must allow the aliens to defeat our heroes because POLICE WILL NEVER HELP YOU, TRUST ONLY YOUR FISTS
4 + 5) Devilfish with Raider