Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Pokemon needs no introduction, it’s been with us for over 20 years and shows no sign of stopping any time soon. This is Ultra Moon, the re-release of Sun and Moon in a similar vein to Crystal, Emerald, and so on. I’m given to understand there are some changes to the story, most people I’ve asked say they’re for the better, but I’m here to determine that for myself.

But this is no ordinary Pokemon Let’s Play. If you’re interested in that, see Crosspiece’s ongoing highly informative LP of the whole series, he should reach this game in a couple years, or see Seyser Koze’s blind LP of the Gen 3 remake Fire Red.

I’m here to offer up something a little different.

This is a Pokemon Ultra Moon Nuzlocke run.

Update 1: As Close to the Orange Islands as We're Getting
Update 2: I Wanna be a Meowcho Man
Update 3: Press Down+B to Choke Professor Kukui
Update 4: Pokemon Fight! Ready? GO!
Update 5: Please Stop Helping Me
Update 6: I Don't Need No Education
Update 7: Good Ol’ City Life
Update 8: The Trial of Captain Ilima
Update 9: Pokeball Z
Update 10: Pokevolution Hour
Update 11: VS. Kahuna Halla!
Update 12: Big Wednesday
Update 13: Meanwhile, Back on the Ranch
Update 14: Gone Fishin'

The Nuzlocke challenge run is fairly simple to explain. In any given area I may capture one (1) Pokemon, only the first wild Pokemon I encounter. If I knock it out or otherwise fail to capture it, too loving bad, no Pokemon from that area for me (static encounters don’t count against this). Every Pokemon I catch must be nicknamed (I rely entirely on you guys for this, I’m terrible at naming Pokemon). Any of my own Pokemon that are knocked out are permanently retired, given their own special PC box (the original rules called for releasing them, but the point is the same). I’m playing a lighter variant of the rules for my sanity. Firstly, I may retrieve a Pokemon from the retired box at the cost of a revive or max revive, but I can’t purchase any, I’m limited only to the ones given to you in-game. I can only use them after boxing a fainted ‘mon, no reviving in-battle or between battles. Any given area may give up two Pokemon, one from the land (grass, caves, shaking grass, etc.) and one from the water (surfing/fishing).

EDIT: Removed the revive clause, it really is too easy, considering how many revives this game throws at you.

It almost sounds easy, given those allowances. Almost. But my journey has only just begun.

Wipes
You see that previous paragraph? You see how it specifically doesn't mention anything about game overs? There's no official Nuzlocke rule for that. Once I have more than 6 mons I'll be retiring teams lost to wipes, but until then wipes will result in restarting from the last save (which I do frequently, because 3DS emulation is an unstable beast). Wipes will be tracked here for your reference and schadenfreude.

1. Trainer's School, Vs. Teacher Emily, no mons retired
2. Trainer's School, also Vs. Teacher Emily, no mons retired

Please, no spoilers for anything unique to Ultra Sun/Moon, regular Sun/Moon and all other games are fine.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

As Close to the Orange Islands as We're Getting

I suppose playing in Korean would be its own kind of hard mode.

Like all the Pokemon professors, Kukui is named after a tree, the Hawaiian name for the candlenut tree.

Unlike all the other professors, he’s under the impression that shirts are optional.

So the day has finally come that you're moving to Alola! Alola is a region made up of several islands.

There's no shortage of cool Pokemon out here in Alola, either!

He’s not wrong, Gen 7 does have some of my favorite new Pokemon in a while. Lot of duds too, but that’ll happen in every game.

Such mysterious creatures! You find 'em all over. In the grass, in the caves, in the sky and sea... Here in Alola we love our Pokemon, and we depend on them heaps, too. Some of us even battle with 'em, if we call ourselves Pokemon Trainers!

I’m fairly certain that the people who don’t engage in organized cockfighting are still called trainers, it’s just that nobody cares about them.

All right, I gotta ask you some questions about yourself so I can introduce you to everybody!

Gen 7 has the most face options available at its release, a whole 8 faces. Gen 8 isn’t much better. This isn’t meant to be Skyrim.

None of these look anything like me, given that I’m a 34 year old nerd and not an 11 year old Pokemon trainer, so I let a D8 decide this.

Followed by naming my character. There aren’t a lot of games with name inputs long enough for Truthkeeper, credit where it’s due.

Who exactly is “everybody”, and why are you all so excited about an 11 year old girl moving in?

Truthkeeper! Yeah, that’s a name that hits you like a Trop Kick to the head! Woo!

I’m sure Kukui’s been kicked in the head enough times to be an expert in the field.

And with that, young Truthkeeper went to help her mother pack.

BUT MEANWHILE!

Something is… a-foot…

These people don’t look familiar, though the snazzy spacesuits fit Aether’s aesthetic a lot better than the generic white jumpsuits. Does Aether have executives now like the other various evil teams?

My first time playing through Sun I’d actually walked away while this scene ran and no idea about any of this, so I ended up a little confused later on.

And so Lillie and Nebbie exploded, the end.

Wait, so Truthkeeper and her mother were packing stuff in boxes three months before they even moved?

I actually kind of like the island structure of Alola, although there’s a lot of problems that I’ll get into later.

The developers had way too much fun with the 3d animation here.

On the 3DS, Moon and Ultra Moon had a schtick where the game time would be 12 hours later than your system time, reversing the day/night cycle. That doesn’t seem to be a thing while emulating the game, maybe Citrix has it’s own internal clock I need to set.

Ahhh! Could anything be more soothing? The first evening spent under Alola’s clam moon! I feel like I could stay out here all night. But that’s enough of that! Time to unpack all these boxes!

You spent three months packing them, and you plan to unpack them your first night in? Learn to move, noob.

Meowth then proceeded to vomit on her shoes and run off to chase flying-types. Because cats don’t do instructions.

A cat’s-eye view of Truthkeeper’s room.

A wake-up call most cat owners are familiar with, loosely translated as “get the hell off that bed, I want to sit there and I need the whole space!”.

Developers are still showing off their nifty 3D stuff.

And just look! It’s already night here! It’s completely the opposite of Kanto. But then we are so far away here in Alola.

I’d managed to miss that this protagonist is from Kanto. I wonder where in the timeline this falls compared to Red/Blue. Is there even a set Pokemon timeline?

drat right I am! You could limit me to just new Alolan Pokemon and Alolan variants and I’d probably be content.

Still rather not have to use that goofy-rear end Alolan Persian if I have any choice.

That’s right! I want to hrry up and meet some too! We’re living in the Alola region now! The beautiful islands everyone wants to visit! I’m sure the Pokemon living in a place like this must be friendly, right? It might not be a bad idea to go out and see for yourself just how friendly Pokemon here are.

Go out. By myself. To see how “friendly” the local wild Pokemon are.

Mother of the year right here folks!

Right, Truthkeeper? Go and get ready for a bit of exploring! Your Bag and hat and things should be hanging on the coat stand in your room. And didn’t you leave a copy of Adventure Rules on your desk too?

Yeah, I’ve been playing this series for decades, but I might have forgotten how menus work.

Another bit of showing off from the animators (and an uncomfortably lingering pause on my 11 year old rear end that I don't think was in Sun/Moon) as I put on hat and bag. The hat is also different from the hat you started with in the originals.

Now you look ready for anything! Oh, but even so, Truthkeeper… Try to be careful walking through the tall grass.

You literally just told me to go out and meet the wild Pokemon. Where do you think they live, if not in tall grass?

Still, I have to admit that I’d love to have a new Pokemon around… Why don’t you head up toward Iki Town and see what you discover in Alola?

Here that Meowth? She’s gearing up to replace you with one of those Alolan Meowths.

You said it. Though I’d trade it in a heartbeat for a Galarian Meowth.

No Mew hidden under the truck. Gotta check, just in case.

Wait, so I own the house? This raises questions. Or maybe Truthkeeper is my last name and nobody is polite enough to ask what my first name is.

There are tutorial peeps scattered around, but of course, the important place to go is the dreaded TALL GRASS.

But I can’t go in this tall grass, because this kid is playing with his dog.

And I can’t go down this street.

Broken bridges are a staple of Pokemon, but it feels like the developers were especially lazy about it with this gen.

You can enjoy a Festival with people from around the world without taking a step. Every day is a festival when you can do that!

I don’t care for the festival plaza, it’s a stupid and unnecessary gimmick that makes me angry every time I’m forced to do it’s tutorial. On the other hand, Poke Pelago was great.

TALL GRASS. The non-trainer’s most dangerous adversary. You’d think they would keep this stuff trimmed back so non-trainers could safely travel.

I kid, of course. Nobody cares about non-trainers.

Mom, you’ve gotten me killed by an angry weasel. Just like the old gypsy woman said.

This sequence is actually really well done and is a good example of what the new engine can do compared to its predecessors, compared to all the earlier meaningless showing off.

But yeah, Truthkeeper gon’ die. Unless…

I was too slow on the draw to catch shots of them running in. But behold! Starters have arrived to save me! This vicious weasel will be fought off by…

A fat owl!

A kitten!

And a seal dressed like a clown!

Look, they can’t all be Gen 4 starters. At least two of them are cool by the time they fully evolve.

And then brave Sir Yungoos ran away.

This is the colloquial friendly greeting “cousin” Lilo and Stitch assured me is used constantly by Hawaiians, Kukui is not actually a member of the powerful Truthkeeper clan.

Yes, you personally Skyped me a few months ago and asked for a picture and some personal information, I’m not sure I should be around you, especially when you’re not wearing a shirt.

Had some help from the starters, whereas the adult here did gently caress all.

Looks like you did! Though I sure didn’t expect that, yeah… I didn’t think these little fellows would dash out on their own to help save a stranger! But I guess I’m getting ahead of myself. Welcome to Alola, the Pokemon paradise, that’s what I’m supposed to be saying. I’m Kukui, yeah. The Pokemon Professor.

Is this where you ask if I’m a boy or a girl?

Don’t you ever forget… You can go anywhere, yeah, as long as you’ve got Pokemon in your corner!

As long as you’ve done whatever meaningless bullshit the plot requires for me to go somewhere, you mean.

Wild Pokemon could be lurking in the tall grass, yeah, just waiting to leap out and bite you, but you’ll be fine if you’ve got a partner of your own! Hey there! Here, let me introduce the Pokemon that helped you just now.

This is the Grass-type Pokemon, Rowlet.

This is the Fire-type Pokemon, Litten.

This is the Water-type Pokemon, Popplio

Y’see, the fact of the matter is… one of these Pokemon will become your first partner, woo!

Or maybe the animals are just better people than you and didn’t want to watch a little girl get savaged by a weasel with teeth the size of swords?

And these are our choices of starters. Despite my joking, they’re all perfectly decent and will make a good showing throughout the game. Which is why I’m leaving this choice up to you, the home viewing audience.

What should my starter be, and what should it be called?

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 28, 2020

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Starter: Litten

Name: Meowcho Man

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Litten named Brother

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sherwood the Rowlett

Also excited for this. Have run a few nuzlockes but not of gen 7. How are you going to handle calls for help in your first encounters? E.g. if you run into a Corsola are you stuck with that Corsola or can you try to get it to call a Mareanie and catch that?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This was the only generation I regretted getting the Water starter so let's go with Rowlett

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Have to point out that Pokémon does have a set timeline (albeit one that doesn’t matter much) and this game is... probably about a decade after Red/Blue.

And no one’s choosing the best starter so I guess I have to. :colbert: Let’s go with a Popplio named Miku.

Yes, even if it’s a boy.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Rowlet named Loxley.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Can't say no to this.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Where the heck are the Popplio votes?! Call it AAAAAAAAAAH!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

JohnCompany posted:

How are you going to handle calls for help in your first encounters? E.g. if you run into a Corsola are you stuck with that Corsola or can you try to get it to call a Mareanie and catch that?

I'm treating them the same as double battles in earlier gens, any Pokemon that show up in that battle are fair game. Knowing my luck it will never come up, I always had terrible luck in Sun getting the rare SOS slots to appear, or anything with hidden abilities.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rowlet named Borb

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.
The Alola starters are by far my favourite trio in the series and you really can’t go wrong with any of them. I’ll toss in a vote for Litten, call it RichardParkr

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Have clown, will vote:

Popplio named Esteban, the tragic clown

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

I have two favorite starters here, and they are both great for nicknames, but I have to go with popplio and their nickname be Pagliacci.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I neither know or care about the mechanical differences but

hopeandjoy posted:

And no one’s choosing the best starter so I guess I have to. :colbert: Let’s go with a Popplio named Miku.

Yes, even if it’s a boy.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I vote for Rowlet and for Rowlet's nickname to be Dr. Hoo.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yes, even if it’s a boy.

I adore Popplio. So much. They're wonderful. I know it's sacrilege, but while it's still pretty alright, Rowlet's the dud of this gang

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Slaan posted:

Have clown, will vote:

This.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

drat right I am! You could limit me to just new Alolan Pokemon and Alolan variants and I’d probably be content.

That was the best thing about Black and White. EVERY game should start you with access to ONLY the new stuff.

Truthkeeper posted:

This is the Grass-type Pokemon, Rowlet.

I think this is missing a portrait of the professor, since the other two have it...

Ralepozozaxe posted:

This gets my vote.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

Ralepozozaxe posted:

N'thing this.

Are you going to be using the no duplicate cause for catching (i.e., you can only attempt to catch the first wild Pokemon you encounter each route that you don't already own)? I don't know what the wild Pokemon distribution on these routes is like, there might already not be enough overlap for the clause to matter.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

jaydee864 posted:

N'thing this.

Are you going to be using the no duplicate cause for catching (i.e., you can only attempt to catch the first wild Pokemon you encounter each route that you don't already own)? I don't know what the wild Pokemon distribution on these routes is like, there might already not be enough overlap for the clause to matter.

It's a very relevant question, there is a shitwack of overlap, especially in water. Duplicates will not count as the only one I'm allowed to catch unless I choose to catch one, in which case that's still my catch for that area. The dupes clause doesn't usually extend to entire evolutionary lines, but I'm counting them, again for the sake of sanity.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 21, 2020

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Slaan posted:

Have clown, will vote:

Yeah voting for this, Gen 7 has some of the absolute best starters and Popplio is adorable

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The most correct choice by far.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Starter: Popplio
Nickname: Hatsune Mizu

get it, because mizu means water :eng101:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Absolutely this. Never not take the goofy wrestletiger. Rowlet is a very good birb, but he's no wrestletiger. And we just don't talk about Popplio... the thing is a perfectly good Pokemon to use, but I hate its poor dumb face.

Also your revive rule is going to end up not mattering in the slightest, your friends will bury you in the drat things.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Cat versus owl is a difficult choice, but this is too good to pass. Cat it is.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Alright, we seem to have finally broken the Litten-Popplio tie (sorry Rowlet, I still love you), and I'll be taking Litten named Meowcho Man as my starter! Here's hoping I manage to catch a grass or electric type before the water trial or else I'm gonna need so much grinding to avoid getting wrecked. I'll try and get an update up in the next couple days, where we'll see my early recruits (a Pichu on route 1 is probably way too much to hope for).

For reference, locations I can catch Pokemon prior to the first trial at Verdant Cavern:

Hau'oli Outskirts
Route 1
Trainers School
Hau'oli City Shopping District
Route 2
Hau'oli Cemetary
Berry Farm (only chance here is a Crabrawler from the berry tree)

That's plenty of chances for new 'mons, so at least I'll have a full team going in.

I also see that there's a new beach area here that wasn't in Sun/Moon, I assume this is the location of the surfing minigame I've heard legends about.

Black Robe posted:

Absolutely this. Never not take the goofy wrestletiger. Rowlet is a very good birb, but he's no wrestletiger. And we just don't talk about Popplio... the thing is a perfectly good Pokemon to use, but I hate its poor dumb face.

This is why I held out hope Litten would win out. Popplio and it's evolutions are great, if it was a matter of mechanics I'd take it every time over Litten, especially one bred with its hidden ability... it just looks so silly (who am I kidding, they're all silly as gently caress). But Rowlet will always be my favorite.

Black Robe posted:

Also your revive rule is going to end up not mattering in the slightest, your friends will bury you in the drat things.

I ended up getting like a dozen of the things thrown at me in Sun. It's why I limited it to only being allowed to be used at a Pokemon Center, it needed some kind of limit or else it would completely destroy the challenge.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I Wanna be a Meowcho Man

Behold your chosen champion!

I have no snide comments, this is honestly adorable, it’s exactly the sort of thing I want the animators doing now that we have 3D display instead of sprites.

The thread has spoken, your name shall be Meowcho Man! I suppose I would have had to choose something else if it had been female, but that doesn’t often happen on starters.

Now that you can have Pokemon battles, you’re what we call a Pokemon trainer! Here’s a Pokeball for Litten, too. It should feel nice and cozy in there. All right! Then let’s get going to Iki Town, Truthkeeper. Woo!

I was a little confused my first playthrough of Sun about what the hell a Kahuna was supposed to be, and I was kind of annoyed that they’d scrapped the established structure of beating gym leaders, but I’ve come to like it a lot since then.

Truth is, that partner Litten of yours is a gift from the kahuna, not me. So let’s go show it off and say a proper thank you, cousin. It may not be the only gift you get. In case you hadn’t heard, the kahunas are all crazy-strong Pokemon trainers. Be careful about getting into a battle with one.

I don’t think I want to. The existing scientific literature suggests that Pokemon are happier outside their Pokeballs, read Professor Elm’s study on the subject and you’ll see… yeah he doesn’t care. Fine, in the ball you go Meowcho Man. We’re off to Iki town.

Pokemon you run into before getting Pokeballs don’t count, or else I’d be stuck with Alolan Rattata here. I’ll still probably get stuck with one eventually.

A captain’s barricade, preventing me from progressing until I beat the captain. It’s a dumb concept and I don’t like it.

Speaking of dumb things I don’t like…

Which Pokemon are you gonna choose as your partner? Have you decided? Oh yeah, I’m Hau.

Hau is not a bad guy, but he is a very annoying character and sucks as a rival. I’ve heard Ultra Sun/Moon’s story updates resolved a lot of the issues with Lusamine being a lovely villain, but I’m guessing Hau is as annoying as ever.

Still, there are worse things in life then annoying rivals.

I couldn’t wait for us to pick our partners together, so I came to find you myself!

Whoa! Your Litten is so cool! Hey wait! You already picked your Pokemon?

We had a little accident on the way here, so I ended up letting Truthkeeper choose her partner first without you.

Fair enough. I guess it was just fate for you guys to meet!

Hau started the odd pattern of rivals not picking the starter that beats your starter. It kind of makes sense, he’s the platonic ideal of chill, as opposed to a seething pile of “I’m not a loser, you’re the loser! Smell ya later!” like Blue.

Alola, friend! I’d decided ages ago that you’re the one I wanted to have an adventure with!

If he’d picked Popplio I’d be calling bullshit, but I can believe it. Especially since it’s Rowlet, and I think the poor neglected owl is awesome.

We’re gonna do so much awesome stuff together! Just you wait and see! Professor! You’ll take good care of Popplio, right?

I have more gripes about this, but I’m going to put in pin in it right now, but I’ll be coming back to this later.

gently caress you, maybe I want to pull an Ash and have my starter ride on my shoulder!

Nah, that would get uncomfortable quickly once it started evolving.

Be our opponents in our first ever Pokemon battle together!

Yes, I too enjoy watching outmatched Pokemon get destroyed by their elemental superiors. I love that starters actually start with STAB moves nowadays, but it makes these matches against rivals with starters weak to your own really sad. At least Hop had a Wooloo after I smacked down his Sobble.

So annoyingly chill.

Lest you think I have nothing but complaints, I love the amount of detail put into these battle backgrounds, it actually does make you feel like the battlefield is the same place you were just standing in. It gives me hope that someday we’ll have full open-world battles with no transitions to a battlefield, just sudden switch to Smash Brothers style controls and beat the hell out of your opponent.

Credit where it’s due, it took two Embers to down Rowlet.

Yes. Feel the hate flow through you.

Whoa! That was awesome, Truthkeeper! You and LItten were both so cool! You and your partner Pokemon , too, you know? You’ve gotta have the kinda battles where everyone has fun!

This seems like a great attitude, except Hau applies it even in situations where he isn’t supposed to be having fun, like being accosted by random thugs and getting the crap kicked out of him. He’s kind of an idiot.

Right on, Turthkeeper! You and Hau both brought out the best in your partners and pulled off some spectacular moves, yeah!

I used Ember twice, he used Tackle once. What definition of “spectacular” are you using Kukui?

Iki Town is right up those stairs! Come on, Truthkeeper!

You should totally check out Iki Town!

It’s five houses and a cockfighting ring. Not much to check out.

Spent some time mauling the local fauna until Meowcho Man leveled again. Experience is much easier to come by in this gen compared to earlier generations, despite curving down when you outlevel your opponent.

More showing off from the devs.

And we’re here! This right here is Iki Town!

Yes. I know. You just told me it was at the top of the stairs.

Tapu Koko keeps us all safe and happy, see!

As far as I can tell, it does nothing of the sort. It sits in a cave waiting for high level trainers to come and kick its rear end and occasionally saves idiots if it feels like it.

I guess there must be some trouble somewhere on the island that needs fixing, yeah? Looks like the kahuna’s nowhere to be found, though…

Yeah, the kahuna wandered off without a word to anybody, singing a little ditty or something.

Normally when somebody starts going out of their way to name or pronoun a person like this, it’s because they’re trying to trick you, like hiding Sypha’s gender in Castlevania. In this case, they’re trying to set you up to believe that Lillie might be the kahuna when you meet her next scene… except nobody would ever be stupid enough to believe that. This is entirely pointless.

I’m gonna go stop by home for a sec. I’ve gotta show my mom Rowlet!

Kid, you’re a Pokemon trainer now. You don’t have a home anymore. Your mom is already turning your room into a gym.

Hey, I’ve got an idea for you, Truthkeeper. If you head through the village and up the hill, you can visit the ruins that belong to Tapu Koko. That’s our island’s guardian deity, yeah. Why don’t you go and introduce yourself?

Yes. ‘Lucky’.

I’ll stick around here and wait to see if the kahuna comes back.

Yes yes, here are the rails, I shall follow them.

Nice work on the lighting here.

Again, it only seems to show up to help people in danger or fight high level trainers, and only if it feels like it. Everybody hoping I meet it is an rear end in a top hat.

Oh, hello there person I could never possibly have seen before. What brings you here?

So please stay in the bag. We could get in trouble if anyone sees you.

This is another one of those story beats that was never adequately explained in Sun, I wonder if Ultra will bother to explain why Nebby cares so drat much about the Tapu ruins when it’s only explicitly connected to the Sun/Moon ruins.

And then Nebby took off on its own, because it’s an idiot. This thing is basically anime Togepi in terms of its ability to do stupid poo poo for the sake of making plot happen.

And now it’s lunch.

Really doesn’t seem like any of my business, but she’s kind of in my way.

If I have one complaint about the art in this game? This is my only facial expression. Ever. It’s actually really creepy.

Could you move please?

You have to help it! Please! Save Nebby!

Those Spearow are attacking it! But… I’m not a Trainer. I can’t… Please! Please save Nebby! I’ll heal your Pokemon for you, so…

Okay, back to my earlier complaint. There were three starters, obviously. I got one, Hau got one, Kukui kept the third.

He should have loving given it to Lillie. That girl desperately needs a confidence boost and training Pokemon is a good way to do that. She didn’t have to do the island challenge, although that would have been cool, but it would have saved a good half-dozen repetitions of “I’m not a trainer, I can’t do anything!” And maybe she would have figured out what the hell evolution is by the time Nebby evolved into Cosmoem and freaked her out.

Ah well, time to fight a birb. Luckily, Ash taught me exactly how to handle Spearow. COME AND GET ME!

Anybody up for roast squab?

Please… please help Nebby if you can!

Nah, I think I’ve done everything I can here.

But be careful… it looks like that attack may have damaged the Plank Bridge, too…

Yeah, I guess throwing fire at old dry wood will do that.

There were three Spearow, I murdered one, there are still three. What the hell?

Apparently fighting the others would be too hard and I’m just moving in. I did not endorse this plan.

Seriously, I have a living flamethrower attached to my belt, or in my pocket, or wherever the hell I’m keeping it. Why is it even back in the ball? Kukui, I blame you for this!

THIS IS NOT HELPFUL, NEBBY!

And then there’s THIS rear end in a top hat.

Guardian deity indeed.

Seriously though, thanks for the save.

Okay, I lied before, I also have this expression.

And then he was gone.

You tried using your power again… didn’t you? Oh Nebby… You know what happened last time you used it. You couldn’t move for ages after that. I don’t want to see you like that again!

Not being able to move seems preferable to being eaten by Spearow.

No… I shouldn’t say that. I’m sorry, Nebby… I know you were trying to save me that time…

Looked to me like it was saving itself, you were just along for the ride.

And I couldn’t even help you in return…

You know, aside from being the person who got it out of the lab and close enough to the surface to make an escape attempt possible?

Please forgive me…

The payoff to all that bullshit of hiding the kahuna’s identity before. Nobody would ever actually think to ask this question, especially since Lillie already clearly explained she isn’t a trainer.

I’m… I’m Lillie. And I suppose… this stone must belong to you.

Does now. YOINK!

Please… Don’t tell anyone about this… About seeing Nebby… It’s… it’s a secret, OK?

Who would believe me?

Come on. Into the bag, Nebby.

Seriously kid, they’re called Pokeballs, they cost about as much as a bottle of soda.

Um… I’m worried we might get attacked again by some wild Pokemon or… or something. I know it’s too much for me to ask it, but… Do you think you could see us back to town?

I saw Tapu Koko, the bridge is wrecked, I’m done here, I’m literally going back to town anyway.

And then she went on her own anyway.

Next time, the kahuna, the tutorial, and sweet sweet balls.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 23, 2020

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Without spoiling the Ultra games, I actually really liked Lusamine as a villain in the original Sun/Moon and I was sorely disappointed with the changes to her character in these versions. It also robs us of one of Guzma’s best lines, sadly.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Hau is a good boy and one of my favorite rivals and I shall not stand for slander against him :colbert:
also:

quote:

Hau started the odd pattern of rivals not picking the starter that beats your starter. It kind of makes sense, he’s the platonic ideal of chill, as opposed to a seething pile of “I’m not a loser, you’re the loser! Smell ya later!” like Blue.
He didn't start the pattern - Bianca did back in Gen 5.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 23, 2020

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

He didn't start the pattern - Bianca did back in Gen 5.

Bianca doesn't count, Gen 5 had two rivals, Cheren had the starter that beat the player's.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 23, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Bianca doesn't count, Gen 5 had two rivals, Cheren had the starter that beat the players.
so does this game - even if it takes a bit for him to show up & evolve his pokemon, Gladion's pokemon changes type depending on your starter.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

so does this game - even if it takes a bit for him to show up & evolve his pokemon, Gladion's pokemon changes type depending on your starter.

Unless his team is built completely differently in Ultra, Gladion always has the same team, just the memory his Silvally holds, and by extension its type, is different based on your starter.

And Gladion doesn't count as a rival anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gen 6 had.... four? rivals with Shauna picking the 'weaker' type and your opposite gendered counterpart picking the 'stronger' type.

Honestly the weird traveling friend pack was probably one of the few things I liked about Gen 6, I was just kinda burnt out by the time I got to XY.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

gently caress you I liked Hau, though he works best in his comedy duo with Gladion. And I consider Gladion a rival in the same way I consider N a rival though it's definitely an edge case. Like if you can maybe consider that someone as in the background as Trevor can be a rival, so can Gladion.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Great LP so far! I've only ever played Ultra Sun, so I'll be interested to see how the games differ.

Also, was this intentional?

truthkeeper posted:

![Lunar Pokeymen redo95.jpg](https://lpix.org/3776444/Lunar_Pokeymen_redo95.jpg)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hau can be irritating. His base personality is fine but he only has one setting and one reaction to everything, and once things start getting serious you just want to slap him. To be fair that's not exclusive to him, most if not all the Pokemon rivals are also one-note, but usually their one note is about doing something even if that something is usually dumb. And at least Hau's backstory somewhat justifies why he is the way he is. He just needed to shake it off and start taking things seriously several plot beats earlier than he does. I find Hop more annoying.

Also the fixed eternal smile of the player avatar gets more tolerable as soon as you buy a pair of sunglasses. Hiding the eyes takes some of the uncanny-valley out of it.

Next update we'll encounter the most infuriating part of the game for me. It's Rotom. I loving hate the Rotomdex. The stupid thing won't shut up. It's the Pokemon equivalent of Mr Clippy except you can't tell it to stop bugging you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

Hau is a good boy and one of my favorite rivals and I shall not stand for slander against him :colbert:

:hai: