Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Please Stop Helping Me

There’s a lot of impressive graphical work in this game (by the standards of what I expected from Pokemon at this point at least), but there’s also a lot of lazy reuse of assets.

I wonder what today will bring me?

Apparently it brought her the doorbell.

A visitor! If it’s Kukui, he’ll probably let himself in without even waiting for us to open the door!

Even Momkeeper agrees with me that Kukui is an rear end in a top hat. Who does that with people they just met?

But it was Lillie, who certainly isn’t rude enough to go barging into somebody’s house uninvited the day after meeting them.

Oh. Um… The professor said…

I wish this game had voice acting solely for the sake of wanting to hear her Kukui impression.

A fully voice acted Pokemon game would be cool. I’ll put it on my wishlist after real time battles (I don’t need 3D, I’d settle for 2D fighter, something like Smash Brothers).

So I’m here to show you the way to his Pokemon lab, if you’ll come with me. It’s, um… It’s this way.

It’s literally down the road, I can probably see it from here.

Truthkeeper! Here. A little pocket money for you. Don’t go wasting it on anything too silly.

It’s more money than any previous game let you start with, and you’re fully intended to spend it on clothes. Clothes get loving expensive in this game.

And what a cute friend you’ve found! I knew Alola would be a great place for us. We just keep meeting wonderful people here!

“Wonderful” is a bit of a stretch. And you don’t know anything about Lillie to say that she’s wonderful, she could be an rear end in a top hat for all you know.

My name is Lillie. It’s very nice to meet you.

Looks like it’s finally you’re time to shine, sweetie! Enjoy yourself out there with Grubbin. And don’t be gone too long!

And Truthkeeper’s mother was never seen again, like the mothers of protagonists past. Unless I need to stop for healing before I’m allowed to go to the Pokemon center. Which is right next door, and yet I’m not allowed to go there yet.

You… have a very nice mother, don’t you?

Lillie, I think your own mother sets kind of a low bar for “very nice”.

We should get going. I’ll show you to the Pokemon Research Lab.

He says he can research moves better when he is so surrounded by Pokemon.

Yes, I’m sure being surrounded by low level Pokemon has made him an expert on Tackle and Water Gun.

Since I’m not a trainer though, I have to rely on using Repels all the time.

Lillie really is kind of a demonstration of the level of hell it would be to live in this world and not be a trainer.

You do know that using Repel keeps Pokemon from attacking, right? A-and about Nebby… Oh. I mean… Cosmog.

Weird non-sequitor. And I think you mean Nebby, that’s the name I know it by, I think this is the first time you’ve told me it’s properly called Cosmog.

Cosmog seems to be a very rare Pokemon. It came from far, far away.

Pew!

It seems to have a very strange power. It used that power to save me once when I was in danger. But some… other people want Cosmog for themselves, to use that power. Can you keep a secret? Can you not tell anyone else about Nebby or about what happened on that bridge? Please…

Being fair to Lillie, Nebby was saving itself just as much as it saved her.

Oh, Truthkeeper? Do you want to know something neat? You can reach the Pokemon Research Lab without having to go through any patches of tall grass if you jump down from this ledge.

If you’d like to take a shortcut, I suggest you try it too.

Okay, seriously, can we stop with the conversational whiplash?

I’ll be heading to the lab now, so see you there!

Aren’t you supposed to be guiding me there?

Well, gently caress her, I’ll get there when I get there. But I’m lonely and homesick, so I’m gonna head home first.

Okay, not lonely anymore!

So, here’s the funny thing. The path from Truthkeeper’s House to Iki Town? That’s Route 1. The path from the house to Kukui’s lab? Also route 1. But it’s Route 1 Hau’oli Outskirts.

I’m calling it a separate route for the purposes of the Nuzlocke, and I’m the only arbiter that matters. Time to go catch something!

But only after I wrecked this kid’s Inkay. I’m not here to kink shame.

But Inkay doesn’t have knees…

And then into the grass…

I’m pretty okay with this. Not my first choice, but at least it isn’t a loving Wingull.

It took some doing. Low level Slowpoke isn’t very strong, but it’s very good at buffing itself, and I’m trying to keep it alive to catch.

Slowpoke GET!

I’ve never really cared for the Slowpoke line. There’s nothing objectively wrong with it, I just don’t like it.

It’s a good thing I’m not aiming for a complete Pokedex. Because emulators and trade-restricted evolutions don’t mix.

Naturally fall off, huh? Didn’t they die from having them cut off in Gold/Silver?

Okay kid, what do you have? A bird? A rat? A…

JESUS, PUT THAT THING AWAY!

Seriously, Yungoos is loving terrifying by lovely first route Pokemon standards.

And having that thing for your starter probably is a sign that you’re a loving psycho.

Kukui’s lab isn’t exactly as fancy as labs in generations past, although I suppose he has gone green with those solar panels. Why not just harvest electricity from a bunch of Pikachu?

And apparently he’s battling indoors. Even if he’s kind of annoying sometimes, it’s good to see a professor get his hands dirty and fight with the rest of us…

Phrasing. Are we still doing phrasing?

Ahh… There they go again… The Pokemon Research Lab has its own unique charm, as I think you might agree. I’ve actually been, um, imposing on the professor here for the past three months.

So Professor Half-Dressed has an underage girl living with him without her parents consent or knowledge. That might actually be several crimes even if I don’t read anything skeevy into it.

I’m not much of an assistant, but it’s the least I can do to pay him back for letting me stay. Maybe I’d be more help if I were a real Pokemon trainer, too…

Seriously, he has another starter. Go in, tell him you want to learn to be a trainer, and ask nicely for the circus clown seal. There’s no reason for you to spend any more time bitching about not being a trainer when you can literally become a trainer any time you want.

See, even the Professor’s dog agrees with me!

The professor… He never stops researching moves. Not even… inside the lab itself. Looks like we’ll have to patch the roof again… And I had just washed his lab coat and finally gotten it clean, too. Now it’ll be in shreds… and I’m no good at mending clothes… so he’ll just have to buy another new one…

She honestly sounds like she’s blaming herself for Kukui being an irresponsible jackass.

We should probably go in before he does any more damage…

Looks a lot better on the inside.

Hey there, Truthkeeper! Thanks for getting her for me, Lillie!

Of course. However I can be a help… I am supposed to be your assistant, right?

Rockruff’s moves were just so stylin’, and I was making good progress with my research.

Okay, seriously Kukui, what the gently caress do you even do? This isn’t Oak inventing the Pokedex, or Elm discovering that Pokemon gently caress, this is moves. Something that changes occasionally from generation to generation, but isn’t really such a big deal that it can be called an area of study. Is this a government thing? Did you get a government grant to play with your dog? Or to find every possible way to work an attack name into casual conversation?

Still wouldn’t be the stupidest thing about the Pokemon world government.

Say, Truthkeeper, lemme see your Pokedex for a second, yeah? So, what do you think of the place? Not bad, right?

I’d like to review it on Yelp. Is there a rating lower than 0 stars?

But that’s not why I called you here, eh? Here! it finally arrived!

Seriously, the conversational shifts leave something to be desired. I’m getting actual whiplash talking to these assholes!

“It”…?

What’s wrong Lillie? Don’t make me do all the talking!

She clearly has no idea what you’re talking about. Unless you expect her to spontaneously start a completely different conversation.

Oh, I can tell you about Rotom. It is a peculiar Pokemon, with a body made up of something like electricity. It can take up residence in machines.

And so it begins…

Black Robe posted:

Next update we'll encounter the most infuriating part of the game for me. It's Rotom. I loving hate the Rotomdex. The stupid thing won't shut up. It's the Pokemon equivalent of Mr Clippy except you can't tell it to stop bugging you.

[quote="Blaziken386" post="505973689"]
oh god i detest that stupid thing

"Hey Rotom-A! Here's some more advice you didn't ask for! Did you know you can heal at pokemon centers??" shut up and let me see the map!! that's your only purpose!!!!!!

They’re harsh, but not entirely wrong. The Rotom Dex is really loving annoying, and it never loving shuts up. A constant, neverending stream of inane chatter that I can’t escape, it’s like having all the worst rivals rolled into one and stuck as your permanent traveling companion.

And now if I power up your Pokedex with the parts that I just got in…

Please don’t.

This is my chance! All I have to do is catch it before he can put it back in the Pokedex! Meowcho Man, burn the lab down as a distraction!

Rotom! Here, boy! I powered up your favorite ‘Dex! Give Truthkeeper here a Helping Hand, yeah?

Why the hell does it need to be able to fly?

In a general sense, I’m not against the idea of a talking Pokedex. I just hate this one in particular. It’s an electronic Navi, except it talks even more. Doesn’t pelt me with “Hey! Listen!” at least.

Check it out, Truthkeeper! Now Rotom can talk right to you!

Why? Why did you do this? I didn’t ask you to do it. What made you think anybody would want this?

It may take a little while to get used to its new job, but I’d say Rotom’s taken a liking to you!

And this will help how exactly?

Yes! Finally, Lillie talking sense!

Truthkeeper hasn’t been here in Alola too long yet. So I decided to give her this special Rotom Dex to help her navigate around.

You’ve never heard of a loving map?

I’m certainly not thanking him, but the poor annoying Rotom didn’t ask for this either, might as well be polite to it.

You can see where you’re headed just by looking at Rotom, and if you give it a little tap, you can even check the Town Map!

None of which required the thing to be able to talk.

And now Hau’s here.

The salty breeze sang to me and brought me here to you!

Without waiting for a response, he runs in and starts looking around Kukui’s living area.

Is that a loft? That’s awesome!

The professor has been kind enough to let me use it…

If you see a person or a Pokemon who needs help, you just help them. Right Truthkeeper? Hau?

Good attitude, but stop to consider that some people may not want your help.

And that’s why I’m letting Lillie stay up there in the loft.

I hope that means he crashes on the couch, or has another bed in the basement…

So, Truthkeeper! I’m leaving this Rotom Dex in your hands! Rotom, you look after Truthkeeper, yeah?

Are you sure? I think Hau would appreciate it way more than me.

So that’s the Rotom Dex, eh? It’s kinda cute.

Who in the what now?

To the Trainers’ School! You gotta learn the basics of being a Pokemon trainer through Pokemon battling.

I beat up every child on Route 1, I think that fully qualifies me for Pokemon-based violence.

It’s a long road to becoming the island challenge champion, and the Trainers’ School is the first step!

It really isn’t. It’s completely unnecessary.

What about you, Hau?

I’m good. I just want to play with my Pokemon!

Even Hau is being surprisingly sensible!

The island challenge… So this is how the people of Alola connect with the world around them. And then there’s the way that you and LItten both chose one another. And now with Rotom helping you out as well…

Unless I can rip it out of the Pokedex and send it into battle, it’s not loving helping.

Even Nebby likes you! I guess there’s something about you that makes Pokemon feel comfortable when they’re by your side.

Lillie! You take care of Truthkeeper, yeah?

You literally just told Rotom to take care of me. Unless you’re admitting it’s worthless?

Until she gets used to Rotom, help her find her way around!

Besides being annoying, it also looks really creepy. I mean, it is a ghost, but this is less spooky, more uncanny valley.

Yeah, but I haven’t been allowed to go there let because railroading.

Nebby… Don’t worry – it’s okay. This must be what they call a solar eclipse. It happens when the sun gets covered up.

No. That was very clearly thick dark clouds filling the sky, not the loving moon.

Was a solar eclipse forecast for today? Ah well, it must be some kind of good omen, yeah!

No, that’s stupid. You’re both stupid.

An omen? You think something good will happen?

Sure! A long, long time ago, Alola was cloaked in darkness, yeah... But people say that’s when Alola’s people and Pokémon blasted all that darkness away with light! And they also say that was why people started gathering Z-Crystals, and that custom turned into the island challenge! Truthkeeper! Now that you’ve got that Z-Power Ring, I hope you’ll collect tons of Z-Crystals! Woo! That’s exactly what a move researcher like me needs to uncover new secrets!

So you want to study Z moves? What the hell do you do now then?

Still pretty sure he’s coming up with bad attack name puns on the government’s dime.

Next up we have the Trainers’ School, which I think I’ll save for next time.

But hey, I caught a Slowpoke, I need names for my pink… lizard… otter… psychic water thing, so do your thing guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Truthkeeper posted:

Did you get a government grant to play with your dog?
Counterpoint: if he did, that would immediately qualify him for the title of "smartest professor in the entire series."

the rest of them had to get degrees, and actually have to worry about things like "academic standards," whereas Kukui gets the same amount of funds because he put on a labcoat. Game that system!

As for slowpoke... I've got nothin', sorry. :sweatdrop:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Counterpoint: if he did, that would immediately qualify him for the title of "smartest professor in the entire series."

That's not exactly a high bar when Sycamore and Elm are well-respected.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Brosef Stalin

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Given its only possible evolution, Bait.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
He's like the guy who categorized insect bites and stings to determine how strong they were (by being stung/bitten), except it's with pokemon moves instead, was always my thought on what he did.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

oh no, it's Rotom

Maybe we can throw the dex at things. That counts as battling, right?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Rotom Dex was way more tolerable in the original Sun and Moon, imo. I could see some potential annoyance, sure, but its hints weren't aggravatingly common.

They cranked that up way too much for the Ultra games. I don't need your advice, Rotom, I need your map!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

LiefKatano posted:

Rotom Dex was way more tolerable in the original Sun and Moon, imo. I could see some potential annoyance, sure, but its hints weren't aggravatingly common.

They cranked that up way too much for the Ultra games. I don't need your advice, Rotom, I need your map!

It talked too drat much even in the original. I'm somewhat concerned that you say it's even more annoying in Ultra.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FoolyCharged posted:

Brosef Stalin

The only option, really

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Black Robe posted:

oh no, it's Rotom

Maybe we can throw the dex at things. That counts as battling, right?
Yes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

In a general sense, I’m not against the idea of a talking Pokedex. I just hate this one in particular. It’s an electronic Navi, except it talks even more. Doesn’t pelt me with “Hey! Listen!” at least.

Navi always gets a lot of poo poo, but really, she wasn't that bad. The owl was WAY worse. Of course, the worst one was Tatl. gently caress Tatl.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Slowpoke should be Bropoke.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I Don’t Need No Education

I don’t necessarily disapprove of the Rotom chiming in after plot events like that. I just wish it did it less.

I don’t approve or disapprove of the map markers, so much as I disapprove of the need for them because of how badly this game micromanages your every step. Black/White and X/Y had issues with this too, but I feel like it’s worse here.

Is forced tutorials treating you not just like you’ve never played Pokemon but treating you like an idiot a form of micromanaging?

I like to relax there sometimes with a frosty glass of Moomoo Milk. I read something in a travel guide about Alola once… Apparently each Pokemon Center in Alola offers a different selection of drinks. I wonder how they pick what to serve

There’s a list of six drinks, each café offers three, and it’s an entirely aesthetic choice because the drink doesn’t do anything. You visit the café for something else.

The cafes may offer more than just drinks. I’ve heard they also sell special treats and that sometimes the staff have tips for trial-goers. We should head to the Trainers’ School next. But have your Pokemon taken care of first if you think that they need a little aid.

Here in our café space, we provide a moment of peace to our customers. What can I get started for you today?

Got it! Then if you’ll just give me a moment… Here you are! One Lemonade just for you!

So how exactly do you make lemonade in a world with no lemons?

His story checks out.

You can connect with someone anytime and spend some time together. Don’t you think all the things you can do at Festival Plaza are miraculous?

“Miraculous”? Not the word I’d use. I’d go with “loving terrible” personally.

This is part of the reason you come here. The tea biscuits are the various Full Heal items from across the series, Casteliacones, Old Gateaus, Lava Cookies, and so on. The one you get varies based on what day it is.

Poke Beans are a specialty in Alola, and Pokemon love to eat them! Feed them to your Pokemon in Pokemon Refresh, and they’ll become more affectionate!

This is the other reason. Poke Beans are the new item for feeding Pokemon to increase their affection. They come in three varieties, of which you can only get the most basic from the café. The better ones come from a mechanic I actually sort of like, lest you get the idea that I’m making GBS threads on everything new this gen had.

The café is at least something we haven’t seen before, but I still feel like I could have figured it out for myself without the unnecessary tutorial.

But speaking of unnecessary tutorials (wait, haven’t I been doing that for 6 updates now?)…

It’s a… It’s a… a… What in the world?!

Meh, it’s a Tauros. Big deal.

Well, it looks like we won’t be going that way anytime soon, thanks to Tuaros there… But we were only planning to go as far as the Trainers’ School anyway. We’ll just leave that for someone else to deal with. Come. Follow me.

gently caress you Lillie, you ain’t the boss of me! You’re not even a Pokemon Trainer, as far as I can tell that makes you some kind of second class citizen! I go where I want!

Get the gently caress out of the way Tauros!

It’s not going anywhere. Fine. Here are the rails, I shall follow them.

Still like the jaunty camera angles.

No, I assume you showed up while I was shouting at the Tauros. You want to go do something about that Prof?

But welcome to the Trainers’ School, the place to learn how to be a Pokemon Trainer!

That a no then?

Yeah. Truthkeeper’s a real tough one, too. Put her through the wringer good, Teach!

Should probably get those fingers looked at by a doctor. Or maybe get a better modeler.

You’ve got to beat four Pokemon Trainers here at the school, Truthkeeper! The experience will surely help you and your Pokemon grow stronger, yeah.

Well, I guess that’s not so bad. I assume the teachers at a Pokemon school have to be reasonably decent. It’s not like they’d have be fight the loving kids, right?

Actually, speaking of experience, why don’t you take this.

There are people with OPINIONS about the Exp. Share and how it ruins the game and blah blah. Turn it off if you don’t like it, I don’t have an issue with it.

If you keep that Exp. Share on, yeah, all the Pokemon on your team can get Exp. Points from battle.

You may also want to visit our classrooms. You’ll learn things there that will help you on your journey, I’d say. All right! Let the lesson begin!

She may not look all that touch, but that teach trains her kids right! One of her students is even a captain! If you want a bit of advice from me, here’s something that might help. Once you’ve fought a species of Pokemon once, you can easily see what types of moves will work best on it in your next battle. Wandering about in the tall grass to meet lots of different Pokemon’ll help with that! Battle all the time, oh yeah!

This is another new feature I actually really like (It might have been X/Y that introduced it, I can’t remember now). I suck at remembering a lot of the type matchups, so this is really convenient for me.

Okay, time to go paste four trainers.

Well, no. Time to catch another Pokemon, since this is another new area. That red bit of fence is a gate, the camera swings around to show it better if I get close.

Stupid kids, dropping expensive healing items everywhere. Mine now!

Grimer, Alolan style. I would have been happier with a Magnemite, but at least it’s not the Meowth that shows up here most of the time.

Rotom feels the need to chatter every time I see a new Pokemon.

Bugzapper is a little outsized here, but he has an advantage in super-effective Mud Shot.

But after he got poisoned, I shrugged and sent in the big guns, Meowcho Man handled it from there.

Eventful battle.

Regular Grimer eat toxic waste, but there apparently isn’t any of that in Alola, so they taught Alolan Grimer to eat garbage. This somehow turned them green.

That’s another one we’ll need a name for. If you were paying attention, you probably noticed I forgot to nickname Slowpoke, I took care of that shortly after this. BrosefStalin (with no space) just barely fit.

Also, ha ha, it’s funny because they really are making me fight the loving kids. Am I a joke to these people?

This kid also has a Grimer, he’s here to teach me about status effects.

I taught him about type effectiveness, accuracy, and why you don’t use Harden on things hitting you with Special attacks.

Did you just catch yours too?

One of the odd, but not unwelcome changes from Gen 6, added some interesting flavor to some types.

I spent a little time grinding on wild ‘mons in the grass. Less than I should have, in retrospect.

Dibs!

This girl is here to teach you to heal your Pokemon if they take damage.

Getting really insulted here.

Like Poison, Rock is also weak to Ground.

Unlike the other kid’s Grimer, this thing makes me suffer for bringing it low.

And then when I switched out my critically injured bug, she pulls this poo poo. She did warn me, to be fair.

I guess when you spit lots of mud it tends to splash on you.

Or sometimes, anyway. It’s better than nothing!

It’s unreliable, but yes, it is better than literally nothing.

This kid is here to teach me about held berries. I teach her the same lesson about Harden as the last one.

Your bribe is sufficient, your bug may live.

Metapod is one of the Pokemon that can’t eat beans in Refresh, I guess berries can’t work that way though.

With those three defeated, I can take down this rear end in a top hat who stands in front of the school and won’t fight me until the other three are beaten.

He’s here to teach me about Abilities. By lowering my attack.

I’m still using Bugzapper and spamming Mud Shot. It’s not like I have any STAB moves yet anyway.

Basic type matchup kids. They trump drat near everything.

Brosef is getting up there, though he’s still only good at putting things to sleep on a delay, buffing himself, and hoping they stay asleep. It’s not a sound strategy.

Intimidate is an Ability that lowers your opponent’s Attack stat. If you understand your Pokemon’s Abilities, you can use the best strategies in battle. But fine! Whatever! I can admit when I’m beat. I’ll give you a reward, even. Take this Technical Machine!

He’s also here to teach me about TMs. This isn’t the gen that made TMs infinite use, but it is the last gen where that was universally the case, with Gen 8 splitting them into infinite use TMs and single use TRs.

Your bribe is sufficient. Your snake may live.

Yep, time for these kids to get their asses to class, and me to go start playing the loving game.

Would Truthkeeper please come to the office on 2F? Truthkeeper to the 2F office, please.

No! gently caress you! You have no hold on me! This is the Pokemon World, I’m allowed to drop out of school at 10!

The hell you say! I’m innocent! No jail can hold me!

[i]I can’t believe that you… beat all of my students! Fantastic!

They try to do a little fakeout there, which would probably be a little more effective if I cared about this woman’s opinion at all.

“Oh, it’ll be fine!” I said.

“She only has one Pokemon!” I said.

[i]I’ll be challenging you with a Pokemon that has a type advantage against that Litten you chose for a partner!

Yeah, this took me a few tries. Yes, it’s just a loving Popplio.

It woke up the turn after Stalin put it to sleep.

It came drat close to two-shotting Grimer, it was down to 1 HP here. I had to send Brosef back in to finish it, because Bugzapper and Litten can’t take that Water Gun.

You’re drat right it did. I should have played more seriously, did more grinding before this.

If the only reason you’re a teacher is because your Pokemon is a few levels higher than your students’, I should be more qualified than you soon.

[i]All joking aside, though, I do want you to take these from me… It’s a little reward for beating me.

Your bribe is sufficient. Your seal may live.

No poo poo!

I don’t dislike Ilima, but I hate his character design and his constant need to announce himself by his name and title.

I couldn’t help but observe your battles. You looked so very delightful in battle that I had no choice but to summon you here.

Aren’t you a student? Do you have the authority to demand random civilians be dragged up here?

This is Truthkeeper, who moved here to Alola from the Kanto region.

Still regretting it. After all these years, Kanto must have some new and interesting Pokemon I could be catching instead of listening to people tell me how to play a game I’ve been playing for 22 years.

She’s got real sense for how to use moves, and I think she’s gonna go far as a Trainer, yeah!

Seriously Kukui, it’s called type matchups. I might not always remember them, but I do at least know they exist.

I see! Then welcome, newcomer. I look forward to seeing the brilliance of your moves in my trial. Indeed! We captains are the ones who conduct the trials you will face on your way to challenging the island kahuna. My trial is held in Verdant Cavern. The trial of Captain Ilima.

I’ll have stuff to say about trials once we get to that. If not next update, then the one after.

You can find Pokemon living everywhere, even in the patches of tall grass in Hau’oli City. Perhaps you’ll want to fill out your team a bit before attempting my trial? I sincerely look forward to your challenge.

If I’m counting correctly, we can add three ‘mons to the party (Hau’oli City, Route 2, Hau’oli Cemetery), that should be enough to get past this trial.

That guy’s Tauros is pretty much a celebrity here on Melemele, you know?

And that’s why it’s allowed to block traffic and act violently toward people? We have Pokeballs for a reason, there’s no drat excuse to let your Pokemon run wild and terrorize the countryside!

I wasn’t here for a lesson. You people forced me to come here and held me against my will.

All the kids I just beat the poo poo out of remind me of the lessons they think they taught me, hoping it will make the pain of losing go away.

Um… Since we’ve come this far together, why don’t I show you more of the city? Come on. There’s lots to see.

Will you go away if I say no? :sigh: Lead on, MacDuff.

Next time: Hau’oli City, Captain Ilima, and Team Skull

In the meantime though, I’ve got a Grimer in need of a name. Do that thing you do guys.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Name Slowpoke ...?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Name Slowpoke ...?

It's in there, I mentioned just after I caught the Grimer.

Truthkeeper posted:

That's another one we'll need a name for. If you were paying attention, you probably noticed I forgot to nickname Slowpoke, I took care of that shortly after this. BrosefStalin (with no space) just barely fit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh, did I react too late?

:thejoke:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The endless tutorial rails got a lot more tolerable for me after I realised decided that it's not because the game thinks the player is an idiot but that the Alolans think the character is just another brain dead tourist. I live in a tourist area and 80+% of our visitors are utter morons who don't seem to understand basic things like how to park a car or what not to do in a store. It takes a while for the local islanders to realise you're not in fact completely stupid and don't need walking through literally everything. Once you get more beads on your trial badge or however the talisman thingy works they ease off on patronisingly explaining basic facts of life.

As for Lillie, she's had a very sheltered upbringing and these simple things are new to her, so she assumes they must be new to you too because she hasn't yet realised how warped her childhood was.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Don't know why you're disappointed, Alolan Muk is actually a drat fine 'mon, what with being strong against fairy, immune to psychic, and having decent bulk for a 'locke. Also gonna rep for my hometown and say name it Astro, cause, y'know, rainbow guts.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I had forgotten how long the tutorial was.

Grimer should be PudgeSludge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

JohnCompany posted:

Don't know why you're disappointed, Alolan Muk is actually a drat fine 'mon, what with being strong against fairy, immune to psychic, and having decent bulk for a 'locke. Also gonna rep for my hometown and say name it Astro, cause, y'know, rainbow guts.

Muk is actually neutral to Fairy because it's Poison/Dark. Still very resistant though because of its high bulk.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

A rainbow monster that cleans up the world?

Sounds like cpt. planet to me!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Oh, did I react too late?

:thejoke:

The Joke

My Head

JohnCompany posted:

I actually quite like Alolan Grimer/Muk, I was just thinking how much I'd like a Magnemite. I kinda assumed I would get a Grimer from Hau'oli City, but checking the numbers, it's actually a lot more rare than I remembered from Sun, and odds are good I'm gonna be stuck with a Wingull (better than if I was doing this on regular Sun/Moon where the most common mon there is "Can't catch me!" Abra).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The early game is still super overbearing but it does ease up in the Ultra versions compared to the base games. ...not by much though, the issue with the Rotom Dex is you can see when the next cutscene is gonna come bursting out to lay tons of text on you, and sometimes the checkpoint isn't far away at all.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Crosspeice posted:

The early game is still super overbearing but it does ease up in the Ultra versions compared to the base games. ...not by much though, the issue with the Rotom Dex is you can see when the next cutscene is gonna come bursting out to lay tons of text on you, and sometimes the checkpoint isn't far away at all.

That's one of the only positive things about the Rotomdex, as far as I'm concerned. If I can see the flag I won't trigger it until I'm good and ready. (Okay usually there isn't anything else you're allowed to do, but that's not the point.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait, how did you take multiple tries to beat the teacher if this is a Nuzlocke?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait, how did you take multiple tries to beat the teacher if this is a Nuzlocke?

Because I'm not enough of a masochist to restart the game after wiping.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Alolan Muk was the surprise MVP of my Sun Nuzlocke. I called mine The Smooze; nothing could stop it (almost).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Truthkeeper posted:

Because I'm not enough of a masochist to restart the game after wiping.

The Thread title posted:

Let's Nuzlocke Pokemon Ultra Moon
:thunk:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Reloading after a wipe is a common optional rule, but not actually official. However, it is heavily against the spirit of things, and not something I intend to make a habit of. If that makes this playthrough less fun for you to read, I can understand that.

In my defense, only one of the two reloads was my choice. The other was one of many emulator crashes, which is why I've taken to saving very often.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I figure it's more fun if the lp continues rather than seeing the exact same routes again because "whoopsie I died"

There isnt really a reason to hold it against op.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I figure if we *really* want to be particular about it, they could keep track of how many resets they've done due to wipes.

But frankly, I don't really care. You do you, OP.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Alright, dead PC is up and running again, all is well with the world, update should be coming this week.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I figure if we *really* want to be particular about it, they could keep track of how many resets they've done due to wipes.

I like this, I should do it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Truthkeeper posted:

Alright, dead PC is up and running again, all is well with the world, update should be coming this week.

I like this, I should do it.

This is a nuzlocke run, you need to buy a new pc when your old one fails.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Go into an electronics store and buy the first PC you encounter

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Build a pc with the first part of each type you encounter at the store.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Suzaku posted:

Build a pc with the first part of each type you encounter at the store.

No thank you, going to Microcenter once was bad enough.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Grimer can be Da Huuuuuudge (you may cut some of the u's if necessary)

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Well it’s a Grimer for now, and while it will become a Muk if you are lucky it will always be grimey, soooooo...

Frank Grimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Well, you see... look, a two-headed Mankey!

Seriously though, so it turns out Citra stores its save data in your user directory. So if you need to reload Windows, and you're too stupid to remember to back up your user directory, it's gone.

I mean, sure, I only had about half an hour of the game covered and once I actually knuckled down and started again it barely took any time at all to get back to where I was, but it's the principle of the thing.

The only notable thing that changed:

Male character now, just because.

Got all our ‘Mons, all named. Grimer is Cpt. Planet.

And we're finally back in action here at Truthkeeper Studios.

Let’s continue playing Pokemon Ultra Moon Nuzlocke Run!

Good Ol’ City Life

You memorized the sound of me walking on pavement? Don’t be a weird boy.

Hau just likes Hau’oli because they renamed the city after him after he was born.

But before I can get back to the plot, Hau ‘suddenly remembers’ something only I can do, and drags me into the nearby tourist center.

Where they upgrade my Pokedex to include a camera. Wow, a hand-held device that includes a camera, never seen anything like that before. What next, is it also going to include a phone?

It’s like a whole nother partner, Truthkeeper! I mean, on top of your Pokemon partner! Oh, but I guess since it’s Rotom inside… it pretty much is a Pokemon partner?

Blaziken386 already posted the relevant Awkward Zombie, but the sentiment bears repeating. Until I can throw this thing into battle (and I’d love to, Rotom is awesome), it’s not a partner, it’s a less annoying Siri.

Yeah, imagine how good it would feel to have a useful feature added, like… actually, I’ve wanted an in-game type matchup chart for years. The Poketch in Gen 4 had one, and then it was never seen again. The step counter was also a useful feature. And the thing that kept track of Pokemon at the daycare. And the map that you could put markers on. And in games that have plantable berries the berry tree tracker would be handy.

Honestly, can I just trade the Rotom Dex for an ordinary Pokedex and a Poketch?

And thus we have half of Hau’s primary motivation for the rest of the game. I don’t really mind, I have a soft spot for always hungry idiot hero shounen protagonists. Hau would toally have ended up the protagonist of this game if Truthkeeper hadn’t moved to town and proceeded to beat his rear end into the ground at every turn.

And then this random guy notices my new super-cool camera and won’t let me leave until I use it. And directs me into a dark, secluded place nearby to use it…

I don’t think I like the city.

I liked Pokemon Snap as much as the next guy, but this is not the correct way to bring back that nostalgia.

I don’t remember this at all from Sun, but Serebii and Bulbapedia both insist it was in the original games, so I probably just did it once and forgot about it, especially as it doesn’t look like this is good for anything. The only rewards you ever get are better cameras so you can take better pictures to get more thumbs-up to get better cameras.

There’s no dialogue option for ‘I don’t care about this potentially fun if it was implemented better but mostly useless piece of crap right now’.

‘Nope! The magical voice that only I can hear that controls my every waking action picks them out for me!’

On the one hand, yeah, Lillie does dress like somebody dressed by their mother. On the other hand, she doesn’t dress like somebody dressed by Lusamine.

Yay, now I can wear horribly uncomfortable contact lenses for purely cosmetic reasons!

Interesting, there’s a sticker stuck to this building, and the game wants me to remember it.

And there’s another one, along with Ilima introducing himself again.

I don’t much care for Ilima, he makes me want to use language that we as a society decided was inappropriate years ago. I don’t even think he’s gay, I just think he’s a walking stereotype.

More important to the subject at hand, he’s the one putting stickers on things, apparently to mark the path for trial-goers. Because he hasn’t cottoned on to the fact that my trial is going to take me loving everywhere. And that there are literal barricades, controlled by captains like him, that make me unable to go anywhere except where the plot wants me to go. Makes these things seem kinda pointless.

On the other hand, I do like stupid pointless collectables in games, and I get free Pokemon for collecting these, which as an enterprising Nuzlocke runner I should definitely take advantage of.

Ilima also introduces Team Skull here.

My God! They tear down stickers? Those vile fiends! Even Team Rocket would never stoop so low!

Because after the actual genocidal cult in Gen 6, the devs realized there was nowhere left to go with real bad guys, and so decided to make the villainous teams really dumb instead.

The internet informs me there are 100 stickers. I probably won’t get all of them, but with special Pokemon as rewards I’ll at least keep an eye out. It a better mechanic than the loving camera, at least.

More important than stickers though, Hau’oli has GRASS! Come to me, new servant!

Son of a whore, of course it’s a loving Abra.

I have no sleep-inducing abilities. One chance, no weakening.

Luckily, I have Great Balls.

Right about now, Cpt. Planet’s wonder why he’s even out of the ball.

It would be cool if that advice actually worked, though I have no idea how you would model that in a video game.

You guys know the drill. Give me a nickname for a goofy-looking psychic death machine.

I’m honestly kind of surprised I got it. The appearance chance isn’t horribly low, but the odds were better of getting stuck with a Wingull. And then the odds on catching it just throwing a Great Ball aren’t impossible, but it’s iffier than I would prefer.

That’s 2.

Alton Brown lives in Alola?

No, instead it’s Hau giving me a grand speech about malasadas, which are apparently a Portuguese confection, something vaguely like a doughnut, that got popular in Hawaii in the 1800s. He insists that feeding them to Pokemon is a good idea.

https://thepunchlineismachismo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2013-12-02.jpg

And then there’s THESE assholes.

Whenever, wherever we meet you, Team Skull don’t even greet you!

I’ve never been sure if this is supposed to be generic thug talk or if they’re meant to be rapping.

poo poo quality rapping would certainly be in line with the poo poo quality dancing.

And all fits in with the poo poo quality evil plan, steal challenge amulets because they failed their island challenges and steal Pokemon because… profit!. They’re low budget Team Rocket made up entirely of dumb kids, and the idea that they can accomplish even half of what they do in these games is absurd.

Truly evil masterminds on par with teams like Plasma and Galactic.

These chucklefucks? No. Guzma? Maybe a little.

Cpt. Planet made quick enough work of his Zubat, but in retrospect I should have used BrosefStalin, would have been much easier. All hail the Confusion-immune master species!

To be fair, this is the exact same reaction all the villainous team members have to being pasted by a kid. It comes off better coming from them than from serious gangsters like Rocket or genocidal cultists like Magma or Flare.

But keeping other people from doing their island challenges isn’t gonna just make it like they managed to finish theirs, you know?

Hau is a very wise man, when he isn’t being stupid.

Someday I’m gonna beat even my old gramps in an all-out serious battle!”

And then he starts talking about shouting at the ocean and you remember he’s a 10 year old who probably had his brain removed so he had a place to keep extra malasadas in case he gets hungry.

Yeah. Where exactly were you, oh mighty Captain?

It’s not really gratitude when you’re going to follow it up with “Now fight me, scrub”.

Beating up his Yungoos allowed Cpt. Planet to level up, but his Smeargle was tricky (and came closer than I would have liked to one-shotting Mewocho Man) and took a bit of finessing to take down.

Yes, obviously you should say me and my Pokemon. What the hell kind of team would one person make?

This rear end in a top hat is way too full of himself.

Yes. Or I could walk down the only road out of town.

Of course, beating up captains only counts for style points in this gen, the real task awaits. TO THE POKEMON CENTER!

Lillie, you’re 10. I think. Probably. I’m not even entirely clear if I’m 10, but if I am, you probably are too. Nobody expects you to be able to navigate cities. Not being able to decide if you like clothes or not on your own is kinda weird. You managed to successfully run away from home while stealing a highly-guarded scientific experiment, that’s pretty loving impressive. And even if you’re not capable of taking care of yourself (which in retrospect is probably why Kukui hasn’t given her a Rowlett and a swift kick out the door), you’re still doing alright.

The first Revives. If you weren’t paying attention, go back and read my first post, Revives are fair game as long as I don’t buy them, but I’m only allowed to use them at Pokemon Centers (or discard one in order to bring a retired ‘Mon back out).

Hala still has no idea that children should be kept away from dangerous animals.

So let’s do something dumb.

That is not how that works!

Sure, I could use more rivals. Let’s give it a Rowlett and some Pokeballs and see how it does.

This girl is willing to pay me to show her an Abra. I’d be poo poo out of luck if I hadn’t managed to catch one.

She’s disappointed that she can’t learn anything about going fast from Teleporty McSleepytime.

And I make a vast sum of money. These later generation games just love throwing money at you. You’re meant to waste most of it on clothes and poo poo, but you still have more than enough to keep yourself stocked with All The Potions.

And stat boosters. I didn’t go too crazy. Just a couple X-Attacks and X-Sp. Atks.

And then, back out into the world!

To Route 2! New area, new grass, new combat servant!

SNEK.

GET SNEK.

SNEK GOT.

Seriously though, I don’t actually like Ekans that much, Grimer is by far the superior Gen 1 poison type, but I’m just happy to have a full team going forward.

Next time: The beach, the berries, the graveyard, and the trial of Verdant Cavern

3 Revives , 7 Totem Stickers

New Pokemon: Abra and Ekans

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 20, 2022