Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dude couldn't wait to show off his bunker.

Does that make him a hypocrite though? It serves a clear use for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Does that make him a hypocrite though? It serves a clear use for him.

Not only have I used my lovely spiralizer more often than he used his canned goods, Wilson prevents Ian from eating them. He prefers to fetishize the canned goods for what they represent (proof that he is smarter and better prepared than the sheeple) rather than let them be used for their actual purpose (to feed people).

His complaint isn't really that Dwight has too much stuff, it's that he has the wrong stuff.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not only do they undermine Wilson's turn by neutering his objections, they also do so by having Lee and Arby kill like five people in Wilson's family rather than one.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They get over jessica murdering sam really quickly and it's frankly bizarre that they're all super chill about it afterwards. Nobody even resents the person who accidentally caused that incident through the heinous act of not trusting the crazed homeless woman who just abducted them.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I watched S01 of the UK version a while ago, do we know how much this remake will cover in its first season?

I'm on episode 3, so far it matches my hazy memories of it. Mainly, horryfying violence.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It lines up with the first season about 1 to 1.

Also with Milner: IT’S NOT A HUGE REVEAL THAT SHE’S SECRETLY MR RABBIT WHEN SHE’S ONLY BEEN IN FIVE MINUTES OF THE WHOLE SEASON

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As presented, it's not even clear that Milner is Mr. Rabbit. Or that "Mr Rabbit" is a sole person. It could be a weird matching tattoo kind of thing for population control nerds.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This Milner is Jessica's mother if they bother continuing it, I predict

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Great Beer posted:

They get over jessica murdering sam really quickly and it's frankly bizarre that they're all super chill about it afterwards. Nobody even resents the person who accidentally caused that incident through the heinous act of not trusting the crazed homeless woman who just abducted them.

That's because they cut Becky's character in half to make Sam and the plot required them to treat Jessica in the exact same way they would have if she hadn't murdered their friend.

As a result here's Jessica's character: "dying"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 3, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That's because they cut Becky's character in half to make Sam and the plot required them to treat Jessica in the exact same way they would have if she hadn't murdered their friend.

As a result here's Jessica's character: "dying"

Man, again, I don't buy this.

Firstly, Sam is far closer to Wilson than she is Becky. Secondly, I think they were trying to say something about Jessica's character with Sam's death, something they come back to and reinforce frequently throughout the show. Jessica's dangerous, she's used to being alone, and she's stunted developmentally. Killing Sam helps define Jessica as a character from that point forward, and it's a smart play to an audience who hasn't seen the original, since it reinforces the sense of danger and irrationality inherent to to the show's scenario.

The whole "splitting characters into parts" is a really programmatic way to see an adaptation. I'm just trying to take the story as is. I get that you don't like the fact there is an adaptation, but isn't this whole fidelity criticism angle just exhausting?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This remake is...not good. I can appreciate the decision to go for a new spin (and in theory, Gillian Flynn's customary brand of macabre humor could have worked), but they sacrificed the stark atmosphere, slow-burn plot and minimalist violence that made the original so great, and replaced it with this vulgar, ironic cartoonish aesthetic that mostly felt out of place.

The Cusack character and his boilerplate cult following were trite antagonists. Totally drowned out the intrigue of the Mr. Rabbit angle, which they might as well have dropped, and like others have mentioned, Milner's reveal carries no force when she's only involved in the action for like 5 minutes beforehand. Wilson's turn was also mishandled (though I like Desmin Borges and think his casting was a bright spot for the show). I suspect they were trying to leave things open-ended there, but doing so watered down one of the most interesting storylines from the original. Did not like this new wholly unsympathetic version of Jessica at all. Barely any of the actors were particularly charismatic or compelling, which is a problem if you're going for a pulp vibe.

I'm curious to watch the original again to see if I'm just looking at it through rose-colored glasses, but in any case, would not recommend this new version.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Great Beer posted:

Ngl, I just watched that episode, and I really liked that character, and I'm not sure I'm gonna keep watching it. That character was the least annoying of the main cast, and I was really hoping someone else would be offed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Annath posted:

Ngl, I just watched that episode, and I really liked that character, and I'm not sure I'm gonna keep watching it. That character was the least annoying of the main cast, and I was really hoping someone else would be offed.

Just pretend her soul was eaten by Becky.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Just pretend her soul was eaten by Becky.

"Oh non threatening white guy with no personality, I love you! Let's use this tiny amount of spare time we have to secretly bang before my soap opera disease kills me"

Great character 10/10

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Great Beer posted:

"Oh non threatening white guy with no personality, I love you! Let's use this tiny amount of spare time we have to secretly bang before my soap opera disease kills me"

Great character 10/10

Sam is the opposite of a composite character. They split off British Becky Born and Bred's attitude, agency, and expertise into Sam and then killed her off, leaving American Becky with no character outside of "I have deals." It completely fucks the dynamic. In the original Jessica Hyde has a weird crush on Ian which is why she takes him (and the others) with her. Ian stays for Becky. Now, Jessica takes these people with her for REASONS. They can't react like human beings to Jessica murdering their friend because they have to follow the plot of the original story where that didn't happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sam is the opposite of a composite character. They split off British Becky Born and Bred's attitude, agency, and expertise into Sam and then killed her off, leaving American Becky with no character outside of "I have deals." It completely fucks the dynamic. In the original Jessica Hyde has a weird crush on Ian which is why she takes him (and the others) with her. Ian stays for Becky. Now, Jessica takes these people with her for REASONS. They can't react like human beings to Jessica murdering their friend because they have to follow the plot of the original story where that didn't happen.

They're explicit about this: Jessica takes them because they could be useful to her. (Though it's increasingly obvious that she does this because she's also trying to help them, even if she's not capable of putting this kind of selflessness into words, which makes sense, given the way she's realistically traumatised by her past.)

The others stay, at first, because they agree. Then they stay because they're forced to. Then they come to sympathise with Jessica and her motives, and recognise that she's basically an emotionally stunted human with the understanding of a child. She's done hosed up things, but she's their absolute best hope for survival. That's their new normal.

Becky also stays because she has Deals, yes, and because she's looking for a cure. But she also stays because she has nothing else in her life except the friends who are also there with her, and when you've got less than a year to live I guess they're pretty high on the priority list.

But, again, I think you've clearly decided that this show is bad, and no amount of be disagreeing with you is going to change your mind. Thank you for letting us know your opinion, yet again.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're explicit about this: Jessica takes them because they could be useful to her.

Except they aren't. For all their QAnon decoding skills and deep lore it's the small child who isn't versed in the lore at all who finds the secret clue. Also she murders one of the people with the same skillset, so they aren't exactly essential.

quote:

(Though it's increasingly obvious that she does this because she's also trying to help them, even if she's not capable of putting this kind of selflessness into words, which makes sense, given the way she's realistically traumatised by her past.)

A sign of good writing is when a character has to disregard a lifetime of acting in a certain fashion to act in a way that furthers the plot.

quote:

The others stay, at first, because they agree. Then they stay because they're forced to. Then they come to sympathise with Jessica and her motives, and recognise that she's basically an emotionally stunted human with the understanding of a child. She's done hosed up things, but she's their absolute best hope for survival. That's their new normal.

Friendship ended with Sam. Now her murderer is my new best friend.

quote:

Becky also stays because she has Deals, yes, and because she's looking for a cure. But she also stays because she has nothing else in her life except the friends who are also there with her, and when you've got less than a year to live I guess they're pretty high on the priority list.
The friends that weren't just murdered by a hobo, I guess. If only there were a way to thread the needle in a way that didn't involve three rational adults shrugging their shoulders at the corpse of their friend.

quote:

But, again, I think you've clearly decided that this show is bad, and no amount of be disagreeing with you is going to change your mind.

The show is fine in a vacuum, but sucks compared to the original for, among other things, lobotomizing the female lead to create a shocking moment. This is especially true when fidelity to the original story requires this shocking moment to have no consequence whatsoever. This line of conversation started with another poster commenting that our merry band of heroes shrugging off their friends brutal murder was weird. Sorry if someone talking about why that was offended your e-honor.

quote:

Thank you for letting us know your opinion, yet again.

No problem, let me know if you have any other issues with the dumbed down American script.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 6, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm 22 minutes into the first episode and I think I'm out. There's no way this gets better and it hasn't been good enough to watch this far without the rep of the original. Okay the rest of it happened, yeesh this is horrible.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This sucked as much as I figured it would.
Everything from the knock off music to the take on the plot was just a bland imitation.

I liked how a ton of the acting was either whispering or shouting too, no middle ground.

I think my fav what why moment was when they convince the fda to approve a vaccine by chanting at the head. Also "the harvest" is a way crappier name then "the network"

This thing is going to get canceled and I'm fine with it, watch the good version instead

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk_QsSiSpbg

I think this guy nails it pretty well

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

That was great.

Anyone who liked the original series and was morbidly curious about the remake just watch this instead and save yourself 8 hours

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just went back to 1x1 of the original, God its so good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't seen the original and just want to report that the Amazon one is loving terrible even if you haven't seen the original.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

mystes posted:

I haven't seen the original and just want to report that the Amazon one is loving terrible even if you haven't seen the original.

Get the original however you can. It's amazing. Characters with agency, what a concept!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm assuming they've cut out the best bit of Becky and Ian's relationship? "my penis isn't working"

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm assuming they've cut out the best bit of Becky and Ian's relationship? "my penis isn't working"

Yes, his penis works just fine.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The hookup scene where they bumble around like real people was fantastic, another example of taking something already there and actively making it worse in the remake. Baffling decisions

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

That was great.

Anyone who liked the original series and was morbidly curious about the remake just watch this instead and save yourself 8 hours

I was still so sour about the half an episode I watched before randomly skipping through parts of the rest of the series I came back to this thread just to poo poo on it some more but this video is really satisfying by griping much better than I ever could've managed. Goddamn, what a loving poo poo show.

That Arby scream! Aaaa

The goddamn american mcgee comic they overshow

little kid commandos

generic society rant

who are these people

goof troop tone

aughags 3qe5 azge4a5tZ
just need to rewatch og to cure this

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

The hookup scene where they bumble around like real people was fantastic, another example of taking something already there and actively making it worse in the remake. Baffling decisions

You didn't like the promise ring?

Edit: I just realized that the remake changed the whole story of the comic book to be about Jessica.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The most American American remake. Wow... nailed it. I’m still sad as I loved the original and like John Cusack and Rainn Wilson but this is utter balls. Utopia Murrica is just aggressively mediocre. I finished the whole series but it never gets better... now the bloody thing will flop (because it is sweaty balls) and the big money producers will just say “nope nobody ever will like this story or concept.” Luckily the Boys is coming on soon... then back to good Utopia

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
The timing of the release of this show is curious, to say the absolute least.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We just rewatched the first ep of the original tonight. I'd have to say it may be the best first episode of any show ever.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Waltzing Along posted:

We just rewatched the first ep of the original tonight. I'd have to say it may be the best first episode of any show ever.

This.

Plus finding out there's a new Dennis Kelly show with music by christobal airing on HBO right now that I still need to check out.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The Amazon version of this show is absolutely atrocious. It's nothing more than a series of ultra violent set pieces stitched together by a bunch of nonsensical puzzles that make no sense. None of the characters are likeable. None of the characters make any sense. Their motivations are non-existent. I'm trying to think of one good thing I liked about the show and I literally can't. John Cusack is dialing it in so hard he has the subtlety of a bond villain.

I am actually stunned at how bad this show is.

we're made to believe all the characters (who are for all intents and purposes normal civilians) are completely fine tip toeing around the corpse of their dead friend. Villains materialize out of thin air and just stand around threatening everyone until the heroine arrives to dispatch them. It's creepy, gratuitous, and all around bad. I had to tap out when Jessica started choking out Artemis and she is somehow able to get out one monologue as she's literally choking to death.

What a mess.

It sounds like the UK version was much better, so maybe I'll see if I can track that down instead.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bioshuffle posted:

It sounds like the UK version was much better, so maybe I'll see if I can track that down instead.

If you use a UK VPN it's on prime. Downside, the prime version of series 1 has some shots cut out of the first episode for time so it's slightly edited, it's also a pan and scan to 16:9 instead of being in its original wider aspect. Weirdly enough series 2 is open matte which kind of makes me curious and want to see it since I've only seen it in the intended wider ratio as it aired. Wonder if they protected for 16:9 and how that changes the shots.

If you buy the show on Amazon it's all in the intended ratio and not edited. According to the editor that streaming prime version is what they edited together for American markets hence the time cuts to fit ad breaks here and the TV ratio.

Maybe a UK goon can chime in and tell us how the open matte version for series 2 looks

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I never watched the original series so my experience with this series is undoubtedly different than all of yours experience.

I actually liked it.

I thought it was chaotic and messy for the majority of the series, and resembled loosely connected vignettes for the majority which I suppose was fitting of a show about conspiracy theories. The violence was rather gratuitous at times, which I actually don't even really give a poo poo about. The protagonists (if you can consider them that) are incredibly flawed and lovely human beings.

It started to come together at the end, and think it has the structure to end up being good down the road.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I just finished re-watching the original. Seriously light years ahead of whatever this new one was. I forgot just how much of an impact the use of color and overall cinematography have on the experience. Such a beautifully shot show. Also...competent actors! Likable characters! Patient, nuanced writing!

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 16, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I really would have liked to see what Fincher would have done with this had it not stagnated in development hell.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Waltzing Along posted:

I really would have liked to see what Fincher would have done with this had it not stagnated in development hell.

I think Flynn was always the writer attached though right?

So visually less bland (more cool white hues everywhere knowing that dude) but same crappy writing would be my guess.

Noticing people saying they liked this on my social media feeds and it's taking all my will power not to goon out and do the "actually.." thing. Watching this first, then the UK version is like letting your friend with ADD try and summarize the events of the show poorly vs watching it yourself :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I haven’t seen the original series but after watched 3 or so episodes of the amazon version I came running here to see if there was a thread. Like it’s been said before some of the character motivations seem wacky and random.

I feel some characters all of sudden lack any agency then out of the blue act in bizarre ways that contradict all logic. For example without spoiling anything how can you leave a critically injured “friend” just lying there without applying any basic first aid? Yet scold a someone saying hurry words to a killer, “empathy”.

It’s a head scratcher but I’ll stick with it a bit longer and maybe see if I can get a hold of the original series. I’m really digging Rainn Wilson, Grant the street urchin and John Cusack’s weird cult of personality thing.