Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

I honestly can't believe this show didn't get a Season 3.

I don't think a lot of people were watching it, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mameluke posted:

I'm only on the third, but does this actually manage to somehow surpass the original's plot when it took two episodes to cover what Utopia did in its first?

The original absolutely fell apart after the first season, so it wouldn't be too hard tbh.

That said, I've only had a chance to watch the opening credits, and the mosquito/oil shot is inspired.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Three episodes in and this is clearly so much better than the British original.

I liked some of the stuff better in the Channel Four version, but the script for this is clearly tighter, and manages to keep its cast more proactive (and therefore more likeable) than in the original.

And for all that this show doesn't have the same kind of colour grading that the original had, its vision of inner city life is so much more interesting, and pointed. This production is so much more angry, and its arguments more pointed and aggressive, and I really appreciate that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

D-Pad posted:

What? This is good but not even close to the original. The actors are nowhere near as great for their characters. The cinematography is on a different level in the original.

Dan Byrd is so much better than Nathan Stewart-Jarrat it's not funny, and Alexandra Roach, while a very good actress, was completely wasted.

I think both Arby and Jessica are better in the original, but generally this remake has a higher level of performance across the board.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This villain girl subplot (episode five) is hilarious.

Edit: all the villain stuff is amazingly weird. You can see why they cast The Riddler from Gotham.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I also like the specific way in which the conspiracy is flawed -- they see human beings as a system that needs correcting through strict discipline, rather than as inherently broken and random vectors of chaos that can't be corrected.

The Foster mother sums up the themes pretty clearly at one point. Sometimes the system works for people, and that's fine, but it's not going to work for everyone, and we need to be able to adapt to that when it happens.

But you can see it at multiple levels of the script, from the comic fans who only understand how to read fiction in one way, to the way a lot of the cast are obsessed with purpose and utility.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Making Wilson's turn contingent on "people love CRAP" ruins any subversive potential that change has, because Wilson is a hypocrite for believing it. He's a prepper. He loves crap.

He loves useful poo poo. He took issue with the unused spiralizer, and conspicuous consumption generally.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dude couldn't wait to show off his bunker.

Does that make him a hypocrite though? It serves a clear use for him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That's because they cut Becky's character in half to make Sam and the plot required them to treat Jessica in the exact same way they would have if she hadn't murdered their friend.

As a result here's Jessica's character: "dying"

Man, again, I don't buy this.

Firstly, Sam is far closer to Wilson than she is Becky. Secondly, I think they were trying to say something about Jessica's character with Sam's death, something they come back to and reinforce frequently throughout the show. Jessica's dangerous, she's used to being alone, and she's stunted developmentally. Killing Sam helps define Jessica as a character from that point forward, and it's a smart play to an audience who hasn't seen the original, since it reinforces the sense of danger and irrationality inherent to to the show's scenario.

The whole "splitting characters into parts" is a really programmatic way to see an adaptation. I'm just trying to take the story as is. I get that you don't like the fact there is an adaptation, but isn't this whole fidelity criticism angle just exhausting?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sam is the opposite of a composite character. They split off British Becky Born and Bred's attitude, agency, and expertise into Sam and then killed her off, leaving American Becky with no character outside of "I have deals." It completely fucks the dynamic. In the original Jessica Hyde has a weird crush on Ian which is why she takes him (and the others) with her. Ian stays for Becky. Now, Jessica takes these people with her for REASONS. They can't react like human beings to Jessica murdering their friend because they have to follow the plot of the original story where that didn't happen.

They're explicit about this: Jessica takes them because they could be useful to her. (Though it's increasingly obvious that she does this because she's also trying to help them, even if she's not capable of putting this kind of selflessness into words, which makes sense, given the way she's realistically traumatised by her past.)

The others stay, at first, because they agree. Then they stay because they're forced to. Then they come to sympathise with Jessica and her motives, and recognise that she's basically an emotionally stunted human with the understanding of a child. She's done hosed up things, but she's their absolute best hope for survival. That's their new normal.

Becky also stays because she has Deals, yes, and because she's looking for a cure. But she also stays because she has nothing else in her life except the friends who are also there with her, and when you've got less than a year to live I guess they're pretty high on the priority list.

But, again, I think you've clearly decided that this show is bad, and no amount of be disagreeing with you is going to change your mind. Thank you for letting us know your opinion, yet again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's a genuine shame, I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

We didn't get a British series three because of this bullshit.

Pretty sure it was cancelled because viewing figures were genuinely horrible.