Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the light blue is ugly, otherwise it's an ok flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Minnesota blazing the path of replacing all state flags that have seals on blue with flags that have symbols on blue.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
god, that light blue side just hosed up 1953

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

ChubbyChecker posted:

no the ok flag sucks

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Staluigi posted:

no the ok flag sucks

not a fan of magritte?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Not a fan of blue next to blue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think it's a perfectly all right flag. Two-tone blue is an unusual choice, but the only actual problem it causes is that you need at least the 24-box of crayons to draw it correctly.

At the very least it's an enormous improvement over the old hideous one.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I slightly prefer the tricolor right side original but I like this dark blue/light blue version, too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why did they make the star uglier is my big question.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

GlyphGryph posted:

perhaps it's an unique snowflake

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The star makes it look like a knockoff Taiwanese flag. Is Minnesota expressing support for Taiwanese independence?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

GlyphGryph posted:

Its the same star thats in the MN Capitol Rotunda.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

If it annoys even one Texan it will have been worth it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The X-man cometh posted:

The star makes it look like a knockoff Taiwanese flag. Is Minnesota expressing support for Taiwanese independence?

Maybe they wish to join as a province of the People’s Republic of China.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Without the side stripes, there's not much to evoke the Texas flag, and it looks kinda like an imma firin my lazer flag.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i came around to ditching the stripes when i saw some of the preliminary designs hanging vertically. with the k-shape on the flag, the stripes made it look like a carnival decoration.

really though they should have just put the new state seal on the flag, that design is dope

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Literally cut off the light blue part and go full Nepal.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As far as the star, yeah in a vacuum the original star was better, but the star they went with being an existing government motif definitely makes for a better flag for Minnesota and it's not like the star they went with is actively BAD.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's fine, I guess, and definitely better than the seal on blue. Bit boring as a PNG, but the mockup of it as a physical flag looks nice enough.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bland is better than aggressively ugly, but drat that's bland. Guess it's on point for the Midwest

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Replace the light blue with hot dish and I’m there

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Bland is better than aggressively ugly, but drat that's bland. Guess it's on point for the Midwest

I wonder if they considered a light and dark beige combo instead of blue

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 22, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

New flag of my city

The ye olde one

I’m very into the new one, but I understand some people love boring costs of arms from 300 years ago

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New flag of my city

The ye olde one

I’m very into the new one, but I understand some people love boring costs of arms from 300 years ago

I agree with you, although the old one is definitely one of the better instances of "coat of arms on a solid color" that I've seen.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Seems like it goes against the whole "non-binary" thing to have two different flags representing two mutually exclusive modes of existence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New flag of my city

The ye olde one

The change that strikes me the most, and probably the most politically loaded one, is the switch from Cyrillic to the Latin alphabet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I assume the alphabet change is the cause of the flag change?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a flag that is going to look dated twenty minutes into the future.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Castles look dated as hell but people still like them, it's allright

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Platystemon posted:

It’s a flag that is going to look dated twenty minutes into the future.

So are you, flag nerd.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kazakh only uses cyrillic because of a certain mustachio’d man of metal and his sparkling prison camps. Education is back to using the latin alphabet and the full switch is supposed to be completed by 2025. It’s underway atm in stuff like

Government buildings are changing fast

And retaining russian like the constitution states, which is pissing off the extended vacation russianse

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 3, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kazakh only uses cyrillic because of a certain mustachio’d man of metal and his sparkling prison camps. Education is back to using the latin alphabet and the full switch is supposed to be completed by 2025. It’s underway atm in stuff like

i mean different circumstances and all but <looks askance at uzbekistan> yes, the switch will definitely be completed on schedule, 100%

that said, at least it's not the old "oops all apostrophes" proposal

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New flag of my city

The ye olde one

To be fair, I like the new one because it is your cities new coat of arms on a flag. Your city has a pretty interesting history with coat of arms too and you can see the changes the area went through in them. I don't think the old one was adopted until 1998 even though it has a really old-fashioned look. The new one having the Baiterek tower is cool to because it really is representing your city, and a leopard is pretty generic compared to it.

This was the source on Wikipedia about the coat of arms, sorry it's all in Cyrillic so I'm not sure how good the google translate did with it.

https://geraldika.ru/s/21000

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 3, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Prof. Banks posted:

So are you, flag nerd.

Flag nerds have some issues, but “too many dates” isn’t usually at the top of this list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Flag nerds have some issues, but “too many dates” isn’t usually at the top of this list.

Avoiding hyperkalemia?