Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Oh crap. I was posting on both on two different derails and indeed got confused. I will get on designing a flag ASAP.

edit: oh god what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kiminewt posted:

I mean programming languages go through a compiler or at least parsed into abstract syntax trees before actually running so you could very easily implement dialects/regional spelling if you really wanted to return aye instead of true.

dialects and specialized vocabulary are basically what Lisp macros are for

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

kiminewt posted:

Oh crap. I was posting on both on two different derails and indeed got confused. I will get on designing a flag ASAP.

In your defense, the image you posted is a really lovely flag.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The flag of Ogden, Utah, or rather former flag because they decided to swap it out for a flag that echoes the new Utah flag more and get rid of the Golden Spike.

kiminewt posted:

Yeah people been really hot on language this week.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kiminewt posted:

I mean programming languages go through a compiler or at least parsed into abstract syntax trees before actually running so you could very easily implement dialects/regional spelling if you really wanted to return aye instead of true.

This, however, is a terrible idea. Excel does this where every command is translated into Danish, making 100% of tutorials online useless because I need to know that Vlookup is actually called Lopslag in Danish for idiotic reasons. From what I gather, programming is 90% googling how to do stuff, so breaking that would be bad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

This, however, is a terrible idea. Excel does this where every command is translated into Danish, making 100% of tutorials online useless because I need to know that Vlookup is actually called Lopslag in Danish for idiotic reasons. From what I gather, programming is 90% googling how to do stuff, so breaking that would be bad.
What's worse is that you can't even be sure your localized version of Excel is fully functional. The Danish version is not for example. And of course the people who make the program haven't considered how nice it'd be to be able to just change the language settings for Excel commands specifically.

So yeah, it'd be a disaster, perhaps even more so because the people least likely to have experienced these kinds of language issues would be the ones making this.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

"lopslag" sounds kind of dirty

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Actually it's Swedish that is the naughty Scandinavian language

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

May I present to you the naughtiest of asteroids: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q981202

Pretty cool the preceding asteroid is named 9000 Hal though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Actually it's Swedish that is the naughty Scandinavian language

It's slut in Danish too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As we come back around to another election, I am reminded of how much I hate Republican election flags.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SlothfulCobra posted:

As we come back around to another election, I am reminded of how much I hate Republican election flags.

I dunno, it works:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Discendo Vox posted:

I dunno, it works:

A child can draw a tractor so I guess it’s legit

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's slut in Danish too.

But pronounced "throatwobbler mangrove"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
posting from the frozen darkness, i would like to proopose the etremely-not-loaded flag of the defence forces as very not loaded, what symbolism would you even notice in that besides the independence of hte nation

she is beautiful. No politics. Peqce I must be off the lqptop

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/kriterin/status/1768766802828386416

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Probably not the ones with black in them

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

pan flag is rainbow sherbet so it's top 1 and it isn't even close

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Probably not the ones with black in them

Depends how much you like licorice flavor I guess.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Licorice flavor is probably the grey layer, black is either squid ink or activated charcoal

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It could be a layer of chocolate cookie crumble, like an ice cream cake. That can look sorta black.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Depends how much you like licorice flavor I guess.

Confirmation these are all nordic flags

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

It could be a layer of chocolate cookie crumble, like an ice cream cake. That can look sorta black.

I can totes see that but chocolate crumble would go very weird with a bunch of these fruit flavors (no pun intended). I think I'd go with bi. The international bear brotherhood flag would be more to my taste, though- I'm boring that way.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'd like to submit, for your consideration, the absolute blandest, saddest flags i have ever seen

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

redleader posted:

i'd like to submit, for your consideration, the absolute blandest, saddest flags i have ever seen

To be clear, as a colorblind person, I’m fine with this.

I’m very happy for all the sexual identity/orientation flags that have proliferated recently, but would it kill you to put a device on there too. I’d just like to be able to follow along.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

redleader posted:

Why are there shades of gray on the straight pride flag? What could those possibly be?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Why are there shades of gray on the straight pride flag? What could those possibly be?

Insufficient toner

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

There's diversity in straight people too. Those six shades represent the Sigma, Alpha, Omega, Gamma, Beta, and finally Delta personality types.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Should be fifty

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redleader posted:

I assume that as with the Progress Pride Flag, the black stripes represent “those living with AIDS and the stigma and prejudice surrounding them, and those who have been lost to the disease”.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The gradient of grey represents the steady decline of man towards death

It also replaced the paper bag test for admitting people to straight pride events

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Nessus posted:

Should be fifty

There are, but the shift is shockingly subtle.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

My flag is raising questions already answered by the wall of tiny text on my flag.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

The flag of Ogden, Utah, or rather former flag because they decided to swap it out for a flag that echoes the new Utah flag more and get rid of the Golden Spike.

Yeah people been really hot on language this week.

Xiahou Dun posted:

To be clear, as a colorblind person, I’m fine with this.

I’m very happy for all the sexual identity/orientation flags that have proliferated recently, but would it kill you to put a device on there too. I’d just like to be able to follow along.
I thought most colour blindness was not like, can't see colour, but has a harder time distinguishing between certain colours or shades, so I'd presume that order of colour should still somewhat help. At least a fair few have different number of stripes, and the bi flag is set apart from pan by having the middle stripe smaller.

On that note, I suspect the commonality of simple tricolours is probably a similar issue in nation flags.

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I thought most colour blindness was not like, can't see colour, but has a harder time distinguishing between certain colours or shades, so I'd presume that order of colour should still somewhat help. At least a fair few have different number of stripes, and the bi flag is set apart from pan by having the middle stripe smaller.

On that note, I suspect the commonality of simple tricolours is probably a similar issue in nation flags.

I don't have anything to add to this post, but I'd love for anyone with any sort of colour-blindness to add their two cents (or however-much you can afford).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I can’t speak for all kinds of colorblindness and mine is more extreme than most, but sure. If you’re reading this you’re a big ol’ nerd so I assume you’re vaguely familiar with the whole primary colors of light thing. Your eyes have rods in them for picking up movement and outlines and poo poo, and you have various kinds of cones corresponding to the colors of light for seeing those. Colorblindness varies both in which kinds of cones/colors are affected and whether the eye makes low-power lovely cones or straight up no relevant cones at all. The most common kind of colorblindness is lovely-but-extant red cones while no cones of any kind is quite rare. As a total percentage of the population, however, colorblindness about 4-5% : certainly a minority but a pretty common one ; there was probably a colorblind student or two in every class you had, even if you didn’t know. It’s sex-linked recessive on the X chromosome so most colorblind people have XY chromosomes.

I have the kind where I don’t make cones for red, so I can see blue but it’s the same as purple and red/green/brown are all kind of a mess. In as much as I see yellow it’s like green/brown but really light. I still see colors (e.g. I can tell black and white TV and color apart) but I don’t have the same contrasts as most people. I obviously know words like “orange” and “green”, but they don’t point to distinct categories I can perceive. My parents noticed I was colorblind because I’d draw grass with an orange crayon or water with purple.

It’s not a problem in daily life because I don’t particularly care what color things are and I’m pretty well-practiced at making educated guesses if it ever becomes relevant. There aren’t actually that many situations where you suddenly get quizzed on if something is red or not*. It’s basically just when people try and use color to communicate something assuming the distinction is going to be visible to everyone. e.g. I’m pretty into boardgames and a lot of my collection involved bribing friends with a nice dinner the first time we played so that they’d mark all the cards and bits with sharpies. Because otherwise I can’t play my own $50 wheat-token dynamo of passive-aggression.

Flags are thus a pretty big problem if they’re purely distinguished by color. Ireland’s and Italy’s flags might as well be identical to me : I can tell them apart from each other if they’re both in front of me, but that’s about it. All the tricolors pretty much suck. All the gender and sexual orientation ones are just stripes to me. They’re distinct if nearby each other, but it’s not “this flags has colors X, Y and Z”, it’s more like memorizing the names of the twins you just met via how they’re dressed. I’m memorizing other stuff about those actual, physical flags to just of get through whatever situation I’m in.

Meanwhile I can definitely, 100% see some lions volant** and dope poo poo like so in as much as I have a voice in this discussion, I’m very pro just putting a device on flags too. There are a million cool things no one’s using!

*Just by the by, next time you meet a colorblind person, please refrain from grabbing a random object and asking them what color it is. Think about how hosed up that is for a second : when you meet someone in a wheelchair. is your gut reaction to ask them to climb some stairs? Why?????

**:thejoke: don’t heraldry @ me

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

*Just by the by, next time you meet a colorblind person, please refrain from grabbing a random object and asking them what color it is. Think about how hosed up that is for a second : when you meet someone in a wheelchair. is your gut reaction to ask them to climb some stairs? Why?????
Obviously. You need to know the capabilities and limits of everyone you interact with.

Seriously though, you do make a good point about flags that I've never considered, one that affects a pretty large minority. Kind of makes all the various gender/sexuality flags seem kind of callous, since there clearly wasn't much thought put into legibility across the human visual spectrum. At an immediate glance, subculture/fetish community is the most visually inclusive one:

In conclusion, you're more likely to be part of a fetish community if you're colorblind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

throwing "actually the Pride flags are abelist" into Tumblr like a pipe-bomb