Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mildly interesting bilingual lovely municipal flag. The Finnish name is on top, but the Swedish name is in a larger type. No-one wins!

e: Oh a link to the picture would be nice:

ee: This is also mildly interesting. The flag (left) is poo poo but the pendants (right) are OK:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Having pendants that aren't the colors of your flag is the worst. Worse then even the dumbest flag.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

Having pendants that aren't the colors of your flag is the worst. Worse then even the dumbest flag.

Most municipal pendants here tend to be based on the coat-of-arms, not the flag. Mostly because the flags are about 99% just some corporate bullshit, not historical.

e: Well, not just municipal:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Those are called pendants? Not pennants?

I've never thought about them before, are there usually official versions like with flags or is it less formal?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EasilyConfused posted:

Those are called pendants? Not pennants?

I’m sure that a pedant will illuminate the matter for us.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

I’m sure that a pedant will illuminate the matter for us.

Only the penitent man will pass.

sweek0 posted:

CGP Grey likes Minnesota flag 1953 and I think I agree with him, which doesn't happen all that often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFwwo0W5Ugg

I pretty much agree with his takes here, especially that "Old Wavy" (944) looks painfully modern. I'm also more reserved in my approval of the "Polaris Tricolor" (1953) -- I think it's only okay -- but it's definitely the best of the lot.

Fake edit, for reference:

"Old Wavy" (944)

"Polaris Tricolor" (1953)

"Star Rise" (2100)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most municipal pendants here tend to be based on the coat-of-arms, not the flag. Mostly because the flags are about 99% just some corporate bullshit, not historical.

e: Well, not just municipal:

You still should try to stick with the same colour scheme for all of those. If your coat of arms is primarily white and red, then make your flag be primarily white and red.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Speaking of coats of arms, is there a heraldry thread, or one where heraldry can be discussed not too far off-topic?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's like if Estonia tried to crib off of Texas.

That's what Minnesotans are proud of right? Their rich Estonian heritage?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's a colourblind texas flag. It's like building a new car and making sure it looks exactly like a cheap Ford. The others at least have an identity.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It’s a flag that looks like a flag. It’s recognizable, understated, and is going to hang vertically really well. It has a unique design element that feels like it should’ve been invented at some point before this.

It’s just a Good Flag. It’s not a bold statement about a new direction for flag design, it’s just quietly very very solid. And I think that’s great!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like 1953 the most but I think the blue on the left should be a little darker, the flag could use a little more contrast

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The new Minnesota flag should just be the old one with the MST3K theater silhouette added to the bottom.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

I like 1953 the most but I think the blue on the left should be a little darker, the flag could use a little more contrast

Make it a shade of purple.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

It’s a flag that looks like a flag. It’s recognizable, understated, and is going to hang vertically really well. It has a unique design element that feels like it should’ve been invented at some point before this.

It’s just a Good Flag. It’s not a bold statement about a new direction for flag design, it’s just quietly very very solid. And I think that’s great!

Everything you like is everything I want to punish

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah I liked 2100 fine until he showed it hanging vertically in that video and then went "okay yeah he's 100% right, that does not work at all."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The loons hidden in Old Wavy are pretty cool but not enough to promote it out of last place.

CGP Grey overvalues simplicity way too much but I mostly agree with his video -- Polaris isn't super exciting but it's far and away the best one left.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
The committee meeting was infuriating in a way that only committee meetings can be, with the crowning moment being the chairman proposing a horrible new idea (removing the stripes, making the inverted chevron asymmetrical so it "looks more like Minnesota") at the 11th hour. Worse, many of the other committee members seem to LIKE this awful idea.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I mean if the rightmost field is a high contrast colour to the blue, like the white of the polestar, that would make 1953 look better.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

middle-tier-retail-store-rear end flag

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

CGP Grey's flag opinions are null and void because he dissed the California flag. That said, the Minnesota tricolor is the best of the 3, so stopped clock and all that…

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
He's wrong about CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC but correct that it's a scared bear, they need to make their bear less scared

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

reignonyourparade posted:

He's wrong about CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC but correct that it's a scared bear, they need to make their bear less scared

It’s extinct.

It’s supposed to be scared.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Final Mn flag is 1953 but with some changes.

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1735797743984005629

karthun fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 16, 2023

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Those revisions scream of loving with it just because

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Old Wavy is great and my only real issue is that the yellow kinda throws off the color balance and maybe it could use a couple tweaks. Maybe a little more detail.

Learning that Texas knockoff has the shape of the state on it just makes me angrier at it, because maps have no place on flags, and I want yoop irredentism to live on. Also I refuse to use CGPGrey's name for it, because that motherfucker can't count to 4.

He also said "flags should become symbols in themselves instead of being based on pre-existing symbols" and then put up 9 examples, 6 of which were flags based on pre-existing symbols. I understand the hope of having a symbol that is unrelated to anything so it can stand on its own and become more iconic in its own right, but you gotta start from somewhere, so you can't pretend like you're just being fully original.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
im confused by the "texas knockoff" label when the texas flag _does not_ have the shape of the state represented

i feel like "has stripes and one or more stars" and "has a block on the left side" is rather broad to assign to texas specifically

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s closer to being a knockoff of the Cuban or Puerto Rican flags, but still not that close.

Texas’ flag is a ripoff of Chile’s anyway.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They've chosen the right flag.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Peanut Butler posted:

u.s. state flags should all be required to be the shape of the state, we love it when stuff is shaped like the state we live in, we can't get enough of it

today we are one step closer to your goal

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Peanut Butler posted:

u.s. state flags should all be required to be the shape of the state, we love it when stuff is shaped like the state we live in, we can't get enough of it

This is literally Maryland though. Fortunately making a flag physically shaped like the state would either be impossible or else create the saddest pennant ever

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
ORIGINAL VERSION "shape of the state" is fine in the same way that ohio and colorado basically skirt the "don't put your name on the flag" guideline, especially given it leads to the "wow, I can't believe nobody ever did this on a flag before it seems so obvious an idea" element. If they go through "let's make it asymetrical to make it even more like minnesota" it'll break all that though.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

CGPGrey’s flag opinions are dreadfully dull. He has no eye or appreciation for something being distinctive.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

King Hong Kong posted:

CGPGrey’s flag opinions are dreadfully dull. He has no eye or appreciation for something being distinctive.
Can't believe the guy with grey in his name is dull.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

King Hong Kong posted:

He really likes Maryland at least!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It’s closer to being a knockoff of the Cuban or Puerto Rican flags, but still not that close.

Texas’ flag is a ripoff of Chile’s anyway.

It's closer to North Carolina than Texas

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

You still should try to stick with the same colour scheme for all of those. If your coat of arms is primarily white and red, then make your flag be primarily white and red.

That's a great idea. Too bad about 100% of flags don't follow this scheme.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1737174507792584716

I'm not one to hate on all new flag designs, I think Utah's was good and Mississippi's was great (even aside from what it replaced), but this is loving weird. lovely shape and too blank on the right side.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Should have sliced off the stripes altogether and just had a weird shape imo. It feels like they wanted to do that but chickened out, so they made it camouflage against a blue sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's a great idea. Too bad about 100% of flags don't follow this scheme.

I know you like to shitpost (doodoopost, even) but this is simply not true.