Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

e: it's Lesotho, 1966-87, but I have no idea why it's before Lebanon.

Because while it is in alphabetical order, I think it's Danish. Which would also explain why it ends in Austria, East Germany and East Yemen (All of which begin with Ø)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007
So, who amongst all y'all nerds can name:
A)The one between Sierra Leone and Singapore
B)The one between South Vietnam (Sydvietnam) and Syria and
C)The two between Zaire and Austria (Østerrige)

e:and for penance for starting a new page: Lo and behold, a flag that doesn't suck poo poo
Pretty sure it's been posted in here before, but it's the Sápmi flag

Jerkhammer fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 15, 2022

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks both. Never occurred to me that Yemen was split in East and South :bang:
I, too, was thinking UAR, but it doesn't fit alphabetically (I would've expected it to be Forenede Arabiske Republik anyway). Ethiopia makes sense, though; I understand Danish well enough to figure out most of this, just not enough to instinctively think "Ætiopien".

As for the one before Mexico, that's Mauritius.

e: :doh: The "UAR" one is Egypt (Ægypten)

Jerkhammer fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 16, 2022

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I thought most colour blindness was not like, can't see colour, but has a harder time distinguishing between certain colours or shades, so I'd presume that order of colour should still somewhat help. At least a fair few have different number of stripes, and the bi flag is set apart from pan by having the middle stripe smaller.

On that note, I suspect the commonality of simple tricolours is probably a similar issue in nation flags.

I don't have anything to add to this post, but I'd love for anyone with any sort of colour-blindness to add their two cents (or however-much you can afford).

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

:words: My parents noticed I was colorblind because I’d draw grass with an orange crayon or water with purple.

I’m very pro just putting a device on flags too.

Thank you so much for this well thought-out and written reply to a random question.

It's actually something I've occasionally considered when other lovers of flags say "they should be uncomplicated enough that a kindergartener could draw them"; but what about the kindergarteners who can't discern colours? They'd surely be better off with some kind of anchor to hold on to.

fe: randomly googled anchor flag