Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

This is now an Admiralty Thread, subject to Maritime Law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is it true that for many states, the flags date back to the Civil War when they were used as regimental banners? That would seem to track with the whole seal-on-blue thing.
Speaking of, this is perhaps my favorite regimental flag, from the 15th Virginia Infantry:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Worthless. Doesn't include the flag of Bahrain, and how could anyone trust such a chart after such a grievous omission?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Who among us can resist a pretty gif, not I my friends.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Count Roland posted:

I've been assuming that Christian is a generic term that encompasses Catholicism, Orthodox churches as well all the assorted Protestant denominations.

Is this not the case?
You should ask Jack Chick (a Baptist, if you are wondering): Are Roman Catholics Christians?

Sure there is lot of extremely dubious religious nitpicking, but did you know that the Roman Catholic church is actually decended from the Cult of Baal in Bablyon?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I recently visited the US Naval Academy and this flag code was on the wall in a bathroom. Surely this is the right place for some bright spark to figure out what it means?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Quorum posted:

Pretty sure it's an attempt to render ICS maritime signal flags using just black and red, but I think they're going for "beat."
Thanks, that's certainly it. A mundane resolution to that mystery.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Kennel posted:

Have CGP Grey roasting little girls state flags:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4w6808wJcU
So CGP Grey has joined the Ken Cuccinelli club in censoring the Virginia seal, a common depiction of a Roman Goddess is just too scandalous for him.

From the East India Company chat, Union Sulphur's house flag certainly has a piratical flair:

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

At least the flag of Loudoun County isn't boring. To give a bit of context, Loudon is an outer suburb of DC neighboring Maryland. So maybe something rubbed off when it comes to flag design.

Loudoun County posted:

Loudoun's flag is adapted from its coat of arms, modeled after the coat of arms of John Campbell, the Fourth Earl of Loudoun, colonial governor of Virginia after whom the county was named.

The flag represents the agricultural background of the county (the green color); the Monroe Doctrine and President Monroe’s association with the county (the indented or “embattled” edging); and the dairy industry, still so important to the county (the white or silver drops suggestive of milk).