Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
The Guilford Courthouse flag is a fun example of "someone described the Stars and Stripes to me while I was kinda distracted":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Ooo, Wikipedia has a nice selection of American county flags.

Anchorage is cool

Imperial County, CA is busy but striking

St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana is nice and phallic

Baltimore County is oddly pleasing

Loudoun County, Virginia has a lot going on

And Elkhart County, Indiana is, uh

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I can't find any evidence of this in actual flag form but this is what Wikipedia says is Inglewood's city flag and, my god

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know if that water is supposed to be the Mississippi, but it easily could be. The upside-down text was certainly...a decision.

The upside-down text was a deliberate troll by a guy who wanted to de-emphasize the "state sovereignty" part of the motto!

quote:

Illinois Secretary of State Sharon Tyndale spearheaded the drive to create a third state seal for Illinois. In 1867, he asked State Senator Allen C. Fuller to introduce legislation requiring a new seal, and suggested to Fuller that the words of the state motto be reversed, from "State Sovereignty, National Union", to "National Union, State Sovereignty". However, the bill passed by the legislature on March 7, 1867, kept the original wording. Despite declining his suggestion, the legislature nonetheless entrusted Tyndale with designing the new seal. And Tyndale managed to (literally) twist the legislature's intent; he kept the words in the correct order on the banner, but the banner twists, so the word "Sovereignty" is upside down, arguably making it less readable.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just eliminating the date and making the light blue a solid wavering stripe would be great IMO. I actually really love the morphing bird bit.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It's still superior to half the rest of American state flags, which are all just a guy and a tree on a blue background

It occurred to me that I didn't know what the two dates on my home state's flag meant, and lol just lol:

First off, we adopted this flag at the same time we opted to join the Confederacy. The date on the bottom is the date we seceded from the Union. The top date is the date of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, which I had never heard of:

quote:

The Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence is a text published in 1819 with the claim that it was the first declaration of independence made in the Thirteen Colonies during the American Revolution. It was supposedly signed on May 20, 1775, in Charlotte, North Carolina, by a committee of citizens of Mecklenburg County, who declared independence from Great Britain after hearing of the battle of Lexington. If the story is true, the Mecklenburg Declaration preceded the United States Declaration of Independence by more than a year. The authenticity of the Mecklenburg Declaration has been disputed since it was published, forty-four years after it was reputedly written. There is no verifiable evidence to confirm the original document's existence and no reference to it has been found in extant newspapers from 1775.

During the American Civil War, secessionist leaders spoke of the Mecklenburg Declaration with reverence, attempting to connect it with the state's joining the Confederacy. Confederate leader Jefferson Davis spoke to a Charlotte crowd in September 1864 saying "people of this section were the first to defy British authority and declare themselves free" encouraging them to continue backing the Confederacy's civil war effort against the U.S.

We talked about the state seal in history class and learned, like, the state seashell and poo poo, but we definitely never learned anything about the flag and now I know why!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Incidentally, the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence thing reminds me strongly of NC's ongoing dispute with Ohio over who gets to claim the Wright Brothers. Our license plates say "First in Flight," theirs say "Birthplace of Aviation," and they loving haaaate that NC is more strongly associated with the first flight than they are. They slapped an astronaut next to a biplane on their state quarter just to shore up their bona fides in this extremely pointless debate.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

NC seceded in 1776? They really got started early.

Oop I completely bungled this, was looking at a source on an older version of the flag which did use the Confederacy date. Forgive my moronacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't anything is going to top this globe.

Apparently it started out with a technical issue with a component called an octopus harness, and then that turned into a running gag that their supervillain superiors liked the symbolism of.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-story-behind-the-comically-villainous-octopus-logo-of-us-spy-agency

same energy