Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Why is the sun going supernova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I got a pretty ugly flag as well.

i swear this was not on purpose, though

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

maybe if they spelled NORWAY across the flag they wouldn't confuse as many people

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. flag is the flag of the East India Company, but, like, changed a little so the teacher wouldn’t notice.

Imagine if a new nation ripped odd the BP logo.

I genuinely didn't know this, so I looked the flag up on wikipedia, and this is really great:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_East_India_Company posted:

The flag of the East India Company is considered to have inspired the 1775 Grand Union Flag, the first flag of the United States, as the two flags were of the same design.[3] This connection is attributed to numerous sources. Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania once gave a speech endorsing the adoption of the Company's flag by the United States as their national flag. He said to George Washington of Virginia, "While the field of your flag must be new in the details of its design, it need not be entirely new in its elements. There is already in use a flag, I refer to the flag of the East India Company."[9] This was a way of symbolising American loyalty to the Crown as well as the United States' aspirations to be self-governing, as was the East India Company. Some colonists also felt that the Company could be a powerful ally in the American War of Independence, as they shared similar aims and grievances against the British government tax policies. Colonists therefore flew the Company's flag, to endorse the Company.[10]

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

The United States of America: literally founded on the principle of corporate tax dodging.

That, and corporate stanning.