Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

You... must be kidding, right? That flag is atrocious. Nevermind the letters, the lettering itself looks like Word Art circa 1993.

quote:

During the first 14 years of statehood, New Mexico did not have an official flag. During the San Diego World's Fair of 1915, the fair featured an exhibit hall in which all the state flags were displayed. Since New Mexico did not have an official flag, an unofficial flag was displayed, consisting of a blue field with the United States flag in the upper left corner, the words "New Mexico" and "47" (because New Mexico is the 47th state) in silver lettering in the center of the flag, and the state seal in the bottom right corner.[5] Some historical references (including Cram's Unrivaled Atlas of the World) also show the words "The Sunshine State" wrapped around the seal in the lower right corner.

That early flag was designed by Ralph Emerson Twitchell,[6] This design was known as the "Twitchell flag". As of 2005, the only known Twitchell flag in existence was displayed at the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe.[6]

The actual and current flag is pretty kickass, however:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

What I like about the US is that even tiny towns all seem to have their own, distinct flags. Even if they're mostly garbage, at least they're usually not the blue flags with generic Greco-Roman figures on them that all of their states seem to have. I live in a Flemish municipality of 22,000 and I have no idea what its flag is, and no one ever flies it except outside of town hall. It's probably 50 heraldic symbols and colors all crammed together, that's the traditional European way of making poo poo flags.

e: yeah I wasn't too far off:

It's like they realized the upper right and lower left were identical, so they added a W to the former. I have no idea what it stands for. lol and check out baby Jesus (I assume) waving at the audience.

Pointless fun fact, but (assuming the stress is on the second syllable) your town name translates to "over here" in some Bavarian dialects :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Don't forget you also need South Georgia for the achievement!

Also New Georgia!