Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ground floor, I get to post the coolest flag

This is the sort of flag that had Russians moving to work in an irradiated Siberian nuclear plant, just so they could say they lived in the atomic bear city.

Now, in the category of flags resembling something made by a 5-year-old in MS Paint, I present these Liberian county flags:

^ This one's from Bong County, and it does look like they'd been hitting the bong a little too much

Bro those two trees don't even appear to be on the ground

The_Other posted:

I've actually been going though Wikipedia looking at various flags lately and yeah, most US state and city flags are pretty bad. That said I think the flag of Phoenix, AZ is pretty neat (how many purple flags are there?)

This looks like a video game faction flag, but I like it. Definitely better than all the garbage blue flags in the rest of the US.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's cool but I'm also disappointed in the rest of America's youth that they've taken no action to change their garbage flags

I hate to say it but even the stars and stripes is barely passable

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like flag nerds overvalue simplicity, which is why all the samey forgettable tricolors that are more glorified color swatches get a pass, but America's distinctive flag from before tricolors were invented always gets people's ire up.

Doesn't it have dozens of stars and ??? amount of stripes? That's stupid. You can absolutely make a good flag using stars and stripes, but the American one is not it.

I give it a 6/10, I'm docking half a point because a country with such a generic name could really use a flag that makes them stand out more (in a positive sense).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm actually a fan of the Stars and Stripes, its certianly better than the innumerable interchangeable tricolors of Europe but Phlegmish inspired me to do a quick and dirty redesign of the US flag to make it more attractive and adhere to the principles of good flag design and see how it looks, I was pretty happy with the result:

The Comic Sans is a nice touch but it's still a bit too aesthetically pleasing. Try adding a few unnecessary quadrants, put one or more other flags on it, the neutral blue is a bit boring, and don't forget to add a copyright or trademark symbol next to the text.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It looks like a Pokémon flag but that's not really their fault, I'm sure the flag was first

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was thinking oh my god why did they have to make this thread in the agitprop forum and then I looked at the avatar lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

WOW good find, she has her titty out, is standing on a dude with her bare feet femdom style, and is holding what appears to be a giant dildo of some sort. This flag is lit, amazing that they got it past the censors.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I hadn't even noticed that! People say the US is a prudish country, but I don't know many other countries that would have an X-rated BDSM flag like that.

If this is what always happens to tyrants, sign me up!!!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Listen bro, you shouldn't be kinkshaming...oh wait, I get it now. Harshing my buzz.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exmarx posted:

they all suck op

Top right and lower left are OK, in my opinion. Just black and white is a bad color scheme for a flag, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm going to make my own set of rules, first rule is that flagception is absolutely forbidden, it never works out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chicken posted:

Obviously British Columbia is not a great name as it's related to one of the worst colonizers with a long list of egregious actions against the indigenous population of the western hemisphere. Therefore, I propose we change the name to Northern Columbia.

I legit didn't know why that goon wanted the name changed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's been interesting watching these extremely non-indigenous countries discuss Columbus. Maybe slightly ironic too, but I get it.

What about the actual country of Colombia, do they have a movement like that?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Back when Mississippi seceded from the Union, it declared itself an independent republic, and as one it needed a flag. This was what the secession committee settled on:

Ironically, adhering to the Liberia school of flags

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's naming something after Columbus as a generic reference to the New World with no real consideration to the man who had been dead for around 300 years at that point, at around the same time that Columbus, Ohio was founded and named for similar reasons. At least British Columbia is actually named after a river (which itself was named after a boat).

Yeah, I...don't really see the difference. Columbus sailed under the Spanish flag, he never killed any North American natives, and Colombia is certainly a lot more native (even if it's hard to name a percentage since there's been so much intermixing with black and white) than the US where they're a tiny minority (not counting Latin American immigrants) and virtually everyone (including many members of that minority) mainly speaks non-native languages. To the point that some people think they've gone completely extinct. If anything, you would expect it to be a much more sensitive subject in Colombia.

e: on the other hand, since he's not really involved in North American history in any way, that makes it easier to get rid of him. He's less entangled, I can see it from that angle as well.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 30, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it's alright, but I agree with FLUFFY that it's a too busy. Not by much, though. They could do worse.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Most of these the bear seems to be all "You drat kids get off my lawn"

I heard Scandinavians are really into lions, but only Flanders was brave enough to use the drunken dancing lion motif at a quasi-national level

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My God, go back to the original one. Those two look like someone copy-pasted an actual flag into MS Paint.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What I like about the US is that even tiny towns all seem to have their own, distinct flags. Even if they're mostly garbage, at least they're usually not the blue flags with generic Greco-Roman figures on them that all of their states seem to have. I live in a Flemish municipality of 22,000 and I have no idea what its flag is, and no one ever flies it except outside of town hall. It's probably 50 heraldic symbols and colors all crammed together, that's the traditional European way of making poo poo flags.

e: yeah I wasn't too far off:

It's like they realized the upper right and lower left were identical, so they added a W to the former. I have no idea what it stands for. lol and check out baby Jesus (I assume) waving at the audience.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 19, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Pointless fun fact, but (assuming the stress is on the second syllable) your town name translates to "over here" in some Bavarian dialects :v:

Unfortunately, the emphasis is on the first syllable.

Wait a minute...help, mods, I've been doxxxed!!!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

You are like a baby.

Translation:

Allah is Greater
Death to America
Death to Israel
Curse on the Jews
Victory to Islam

We don't really mean the red slogans, it's just a traditional chant, stop being little babbies about it you oversensitive snowflakes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finally people are taking a stand against the Norwegian community that is refusing to assimilate. As Teddy Roosevelt said, we don't want hyphenated Americans.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not only do I not consider the Ottoman Empire to have been the Roman Empire, I don't even consider Byzantium to have been the Roman Empire. They both were the Constantinoplan Empire at best, cosplaying their predecessors.

[the room goes silent, all Internet Byzabros glare at me]

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Threadkiller Dog posted:

"Norway? More like BOREWAY ahahaha!!"

some Nigerian dude overeheard on the stockholm metro

Sweden is where it's at, beer costs 5 billion kroner, except corona which you get for free

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They want a theocracy, so it's fitting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

b) some assholes are spamming it with dozens of identical or near-identical flags.

I was kind of assuming that we were already those assholes

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Both poor whites and poor blacks in one of the poorest states of the USA can probably agree that a blood-sucking insect isn't the best symbol for them.

On the other hand, it still made the finals so maybe it is

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It looks like the banner of an upper-mid-market hotel.

It's still superior to half the rest of American state flags, which are all just a guy and a tree on a blue background

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

American state flags also too often commit the sin of including unnecessary text, in my opinion.

Let's take a look at Palau's flag:

You can argue about the aesthetic qualities of the elements in isolation, but on the whole, and in context, I think it's a good flag. Very simple, basically containing just a circle, but also highly evocative in a way that makes sense. You immediately and automatically get the impression of a bright, sunny day, implying an idyllic island paradise, which is good since so much of their economy is based on tourism. It's very easy to draw and reproduce, even if you might not end up with a perfect circle. I give this flag a score of 8.5/10.

Now imagine they put an Austronesian pioneer in the upper left corner, a palm tree in the upper right corner, added a Union Jack overlay, and at the bottom included text reading

EST. 1994

COME VISIT SUNNY PALAU

Congratulations, you've ruined your flag, it's garbage now. And yet, there are so many flags around the world that are close to that description.

e: alright I looked it up and the intended symbolism of Palau's flag is somewhat different, but it doesn't really matter, the effect is the same.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

loving lol @ 1789

liberté (mais pas pour toi), egalité (pas pour toi), fraternité (pas pour toi)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

UncleButts posted:

Could I get some criticisms on the flag I want to make for my home gym in Wisconsin?

The raised fist, star, and red background aren't bad in themselves, but the current design is just too similar to many other flags/posters. It's uninspired and generic at this point. If people see this they're going to think it was made by another Internet leftist trying to be edgy but who doesn't have enough spoons to put real effort into it.
The 'solidarity' text also seems unnecessary, it's already implied by the other elements. Definitely get rid of it - that would additionally give you more ambiguity and plausible deniability towards the less politically tuned-in, if that's what you're after.

What I would do is keep the fist and red background, and the star if you really want to, but rework it so that it's clear that it's for a gym. You're missing an element that would make it stand out in a fitting way. Maybe the fist is holding a dumbbell, something like that.

That'll be €69, and €4.20 for expenses

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 27, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I completely missed that. Alright, he gets a discount.

That's good though, keep that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just more flags and emblems that suffer from being far too busy, even if the individual elements and colors are acceptable.

e: the first one in particular, there's just no coherence at all.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 27, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Needs more flags in it.

lol

You know, maybe if it turns into flagception it loops back around to artful

e: yo dawg I heard you like flags

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The American flag is like the Beatles. Its very good but its also extremely famous so flag nerds have to show off about how bad it is so everyone thinks "hmmm this guy knows something I don't"

It's not awful, but I do think it suffers from a case of too many stars and perhaps also too many stripes. It's like they didn't know when to stop. Now take Liberia's flag, it's like the American flag after a decent (flag) editor's had their say, which makes it superior in my eyes.

The US flag does have the contextual advantage of not having been incorporated by dozens of different countries/administrative units (with the exception of the aforementioned Liberia and a few others), unlike the Union Jack, so there is less aesthetical inflation.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, the Texas and Chile flags are superior, too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

The fourth one looks like it should be the symbol of a futuristic church that worships a nuclear bomb.

It looks like a Bioshock flag. Right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Croatian flag

SPLIT

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't even think their previous flag was particularly bad. Maybe a bit too detailed, too difficult to quickly draw from memory, but many flags have that particular flaw (notoriously including the Flemish one).

The old Split flag actually vaguely reminds me of the Mongolian one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

I dunno, the state seal on blue is boring and cluttered and practically the same in half the united states, even a bad design is better. Basically, if they aren't literal kids drawings or loving paintings, they're better.

There's no law saying a child's drawing can't be a flag