Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The_Other posted:

I've actually been going though Wikipedia looking at various flags lately and yeah, most US state and city flags are pretty bad. That said I think the flag of Phoenix, AZ is pretty neat (how many purple flags are there?)

That's maroon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

That alignment of the stars is loving awful, why would you align it like that?

Did the designer read a shitload of Lovecraft and decide just to mess with perception forever?
It adds a bit of dynamism to the flag. Like it's a rolling bowling ball.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Earth:

By far the best of the various proposed world flag designs, in my opinion. This one dates back to 1970 but it's seen only niche use, mostly among particular types of space nerd.
Wouldn't want to see the rest of them then!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Knock-off of the Stars and Stripes. Uses Navy blue for Kentucky and Goldenrod as the state flower. 15 stars because Kentucky was the 15th state the two stars represent "unity" according to reddit. Actually looks really good, probably my favorite of the flags posted here.
That's ebony clay and pirate gold. This is navy blue and goldenrod:

I kinda like the ebony clay better, the navy blue is too blue, looks kinda cheap. Goldenrod instead of pirate gold makes it pop more though.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 23, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Red white and blue was fine when you used them because those were the three cheapest colors of dye. Very utilitarian. Now its just lack of imagination.
It makes sense as a blend between the Maori and Anglo heritage of New Zealand, using the British colors for a Maori-(inspired?) design. Obviously this ignores the fact that New Zealand should do everything in its power to pretend it has nothing to do with the Paedoph Isles, but it makes sense if you want to represent the historical link to Britain.

Apparently the black and white flag has been critiqued for appearing like a pirate flag, which is kinda funny given their actual flag.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Hard disagree. Too many red white and blue flags as it is. I love the lower right and upper left personally
With such a strong and unique symbol in pure white, I kinda feel like the black on those flags could be exchanged for any color with decent contrast. Just stay clear of (British) blue and red.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pretty meta flag from Bristol.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The curves represent the "feeling of driving along the coastline"
It's actually the river of blood left behind by Killary.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I fixed the American flag:

The all-important stress test:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Secret Nordic city.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Angepain posted:

does that mean new states have to be admitted in groups of 5 or do you use a different polygon for each update depending on what factors easily
Unless they're gonna rebuild the Pentagon each time, they're gonna have to find another solution than changing the polygon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

Time to post the best of Finnish heraldry again?

Apprehensive eel getting German suplexed across a fortification by a lobster.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

The byzantine emperor wasn't roman but the ottoman was because... gently caress it I don't want to decide hot to justify this.
Romans killed Christ, so Christians can't be Roman.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Angepain posted:

But was the Roman Empire a sandwich?
Land
Water
Land

Evidence points to YES.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Question: Are you ready for the paradigm shift of animated flags, Coming SoonTM. Finally we won't have to choose a single design for a flag, we can have them all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

I mean designing flags is fun, just refuse to approve a design so you can keep designing new ones
They could always design a war flag. Be ahead of the curve for Civil War 2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

In addition to the globe being weird, the projection is even weirder. It's centered on the Atlantic, and the West coast is basically hidden. It's a Eurocentric projection really, which seems odd when Usan maps are usually centered on the Americas.
It’s Atlanticist propaganda.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

How does Portland think that rivers work?
Those are the four rivers of Paradise, flowing out from Sidrat Al-Muntaha. Any resemblance to local geography is coincidental.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Pretty safe choices for the winners. Worst country flags (ignoring minor territories) are Zambia, Haiti, and Belize. The part about most overrated flag is great, though I'm biased toward historical designs like Gran Colombia.
Japan misses its old (war) flag.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Sorry. I thought it was a weird fringe belief that could be safely mocked, but it sounds like it's more common than I thought.
I dropped the subject as a gimmick for that exact reason. It means nothing where I live, but it's a big deal in a lot of other places.

Count Roland posted:

I've been assuming that Christian is a generic term that encompasses Catholicism, Orthodox churches as well all the assorted Protestant denominations.

Is this not the case?
You're forgetting the Church of the East, which became its own thing very early on.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this post got a bunch of real basic stuff wrong, so i suggest nobody rely on it, but i also feel like a big effort post reply to it would be getting off topic, so i will just explain the main points

the biggest problem with the post is that it doesn't consider the beliefs of the people it is all lumping together: one of the basic things you have to do when talking about religious sects is to consider how the adherents of each sect think about themselves in relation to other sects. the second biggest problem is that the post says it's "not confusing" to lump in Nestorians, Mormons, and Jehova's Witnesses with the more traditional groups, which, just, lol
Nestorians are one of the most traditional groups!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but that's actually a point towards Baal being somewhat known amongst Christians - they wouldn't have dragged out someone with zero name recognition unless it was from the established Egyptian pantheon.

Also it was great with all the ball puns.
He is also in Diablo 2, from the same year as Stargate SG-1. Clearly Baal was on people's minds during the turn of the millennium.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I appreciate the design shootout to Greenland's flag, but why the hedron?
It's an Antarctic pyramid, casting a shadow on the ice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it that much worse than Europe's "different colours same shape" tricolour trend?
Europe only has the Netherlands/Russia and Hungary/Bulgaria falling into that category. A bit silly to include the flag of Sao Tome and Principe though, if it's too similar to the flag of Mali then all the stripey red, blue, white flags of Europe count as basically the same too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Italy/Ireland
Orange and red are not the same color.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Netherlands should just have a uni-color orange flag.

Peanut Butler posted:

european tricolors suck they should take a note from US states and put the country's name on there
Alternatively/additionally, a map of the country.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Netherlands brand would see a lot of benefit of distancing itself from Russia. No one would confuse the two if this was their flag.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have braintrusted a new flag for the dutch, so that they not get confused with anyone else.
Good idea to include the old flag in the canton, so people don't get confused during the transition.

I had a crack at the French flag:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Everyone knows that the ultimate protest is to breed an animal such that its coloration is vaguely reminiscent of your flag.
:denmark:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

More weird flag stuff.

https://twitter.com/Jack_Mrgln/status/1515787920505987076

See that thing in the background? Sure makes you think Confederate flag. Well, that apparently is a flag that has been adopted by some of the separatists in Donbass as the flag of "Novorossiya" (or "New Russia", a name that Russia had for the area from way back in the day when the Russian Empire first established its dominion over the area).

Coincidence? Maybe. A blue X on white is an old Russian symbol, and a red flag is associated with Russia. Still, I wonder. It's not like they'd be totally unaware of it. I've often been surprised at how much Europeans are acutely aware of American pop culture. It'd be no weirder than just throwing around some weird german neonazi symbol.

https://twitter.com/Jack_Mrgln/status/1515787148510875649

There's a Moscow Times article where they draw the same comparison, although the top of that they lead with a guy who is clearly using the Arkansas flag. Weird.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2014/06/09/ukrainian-rebels-channel-us-confederates-a36318
With the "rebel flag", I think you have to take into account how heavily propagandizing American pop culture was about it and the Civil War. Subcultures like the Swedish Raggare appear to basically have absorbed a fully divorced from context version of the flag, with the flag representing a "Dukes of Hazzard"-style rebellion against the authorities rather than anything to do with real history. (Which is of course not that different from Lost Cause propaganda in general) That is not to say they can't be racist, but it hardly made sense to make that part of your identity in rural Sweden in the 1950's when that subculture started expanding.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's weird is that there are maps of krypton in the comic as well, and none of them match the planet on the flag.
*Jor-El, thinking harder than any Kryptonian ever has* "Maybe we should be worried about our planet bearing no resemblance to a map we made like a couple of decades ago?"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Always protect The Thin Brown Line (tm) - Baristas Union

Edit: Oh my god, please someone tell me if this is satire or not.

I am pretty sure the official thin brown line is pizza delivery boys and their compatriots, whose jobs are far more dangerous than that of cops.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I see the conversation has moved on, but I'm not gonna deprive the thread of a much improved flag for California:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Bah, that's so derivative of the original bear splitting the atom.
It's a Hollywood remake.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Whoever brought about those changes should be sent to the Hague.
They are legit part of a policy of cultural genocide.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

who needs to be a pretend fancy euro confederate when you invented slaver revolts
I was like, "wait, slaver revolts?" and then I realized which flag it was.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Isn't the rule in heraldry that it's the description that counts, not the specific execution? So, in that tradition, literally all of them are equally good, because they have the right elements in the right places, who cares if they look different?
Of course, that's a lot different from modern flag traditions, and it's basically a remnant of flags/crests being a thing you had to paint or sew by hand.
We can't be sure any of the other three are right, as we can't see the finial, nor the tassels. Depending on the specificity of the description, the presence of any red in the papal tiara might also disqualify the rightmost two, while the bottom left could be excluded for having a white key.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

those idiots approved the caduceus for the medical corps, their opinions about anything are irrelevant
Medicine in the US is done by thieves/merchants, so they chose the right symbol.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Something I don't get with Latin America is that there are two separate clusters of countries with nearly identical flags. Subnational units can have lovely flags no problem, but if you have national flags that are basically the same as your neighbors, then it gets hard to signify yourselves separately at international events.
Obviously someone needs to go there and tell them that their economies are being held back by poor branding, and they need to rethink it if they want to remain competitive in this modern world. That means for example creating a unified brand identity for all the Gran Colombian successor states, but ensuring each is still distinct enough that you're not going to confuse them with each other.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

:five:

All parts of the world should be divided into regions in which each country shares a unified brand identity but with different flags. Scandinavia, West Africa and Arab nations are already on board but could use some more distinctiveness.
Scandinavia?? You mean the Nordic Countries...

Anyway, Europe has even more cross-brand unification possibilities with the cross. Nordic crosses for the Nordic Countries, St. Andrews crosses for the British Isles, Maltese crosses for the Mediterranean, Patriarchal crosses (straight or slanted depending on Catholic vs. Orthodox) for Eastern Europe, and hooked crosses for Central Europe.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It would be funny if Colombia adopted the one on the right and became closer to Panama.
Would be hosed-up to steal my perfect Panama flag when they've got the original Gran Colombia flag already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

If y'all not following the graphs thread, I'm gonna crosspost this here:
I think this means Hungary is an African state? Or should own Africa?