Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The byzantine emperor wasn't roman but the ottoman was because... gently caress it I don't want to decide hot to justify this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Romans killed Christ, so Christians can't be Roman.

Hell yeah, loving nailed it. Like the romans did christ.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I've been assuming that Christian is a generic term that encompasses Catholicism, Orthodox churches as well all the assorted Protestant denominations.

Is this not the case?

It is the case, apart from baptist insanity where people think that nobody outside of their specific branch is actually christian.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Finalist flags are indeed mostly pretty meh but at the same time while I like the IDEA of a loon flag, it seemed like every loon flag people were actually bringing up completely sucked so, not surprised they ended up going with a bunch of meh flags instead

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"symbol needs to be simple" means that like, when a kid draws it you need to be able to tell they what they were trying to draw, not that they need to be able to draw it 100% accurately.

kyrgyzstan symbol is fine

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah I liked 2100 fine until he showed it hanging vertically in that video and then went "okay yeah he's 100% right, that does not work at all."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
He's wrong about CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC but correct that it's a scared bear, they need to make their bear less scared

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
ORIGINAL VERSION "shape of the state" is fine in the same way that ohio and colorado basically skirt the "don't put your name on the flag" guideline, especially given it leads to the "wow, I can't believe nobody ever did this on a flag before it seems so obvious an idea" element. If they go through "let's make it asymetrical to make it even more like minnesota" it'll break all that though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As far as the star, yeah in a vacuum the original star was better, but the star they went with being an existing government motif definitely makes for a better flag for Minnesota and it's not like the star they went with is actively BAD.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The other thing is it can only ever be an arbitrary visual symbol that you mentally translate to your particular dialect's pronunciation so long as different dialects exist.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

BonHair posted:

I mean yeah, there's no iconic link between the letter and the sound obviously, but there's no rule saying that dialects have to be spelled the same way. You can spell the words how they're pronounced in your dialect, using common letters (or even supplementing your own). For example, i might spell a word "drøs" while a Jutlandic person spells it "drys" because that's how we say that word.

Eventually, you probably get enough variation that written Indian English is not readable to rural Texans, but that's pretty much the same as the spoken varieties.

Sure there's no rule saying that dialects have to be spelled the same way, but incidentally everyone finds it incredibly useful for dialects to be spelled the same way

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I think their rules are largely good, but there are many exceptions possible. Especially the rule that a child should be able to draw a flag. Kids suck at drawing and this would limit organizations to. All but the simplest flags.

"Child should be able to draw it" rule is massively misunderstood. US flag still counts even though the drawing will almost certainly have the wrong number of stars and has a good chance of the wrong number of stripes, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Waddle Bourgeoidee posted:

Why the gently caress did they discard this glorious design?

Star was swapping it out for an existing star motif from the capital building that was actually already uses as minor symbol of government, stripes for color because they liked the effect it had when the flag was hanging without wind.

Star change unfortunately correct change to for Minnesota specifically even though the original star is nicer in a vacuum, stripes change... much more eh.