Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Flag of Louisiana

Flag of the Governor of Alabama

Flag of Nevada (1905-1915)

Flag of the Seminole Tribe of Florida

Flag of the Iroquois Confederacy

The flags of the US range from cool to wtf and that's not even getting into City and County flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

peak debt posted:

That Iroquois flag though, ugh. How are you even going to describe that? "A pixelated buttplug horizontally connected to four squares"?

The pixelation is from whoever uploaded it to Wikimedia

here's a less pixelated version and an explanation of the center symbol

quote:

The central symbol is a tree and represents the Onondaga Nation. It was in the Onondaga Nation that the Peacemaker planted the Tree of Peace and it was under that tree where the leaders of the Five Nations buried their weapons of war. The Hiawatha Belt forms the basis of the flag of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Here's a flag that was used by two different US states at two different times. First by Texas as a de facto flag from 1835-1839, then later from January to September of 1861 for then seceded Florida. This was Florida's fist official flag after being not being part of Britain or Spain.

British Florida flew the Red Ensign which is basically just a red field with the Union Jack in the corner. Spanish Florida had the Cross of Burgundy/Cross of St. Andrew which is the basis for it and Alabama's flag today.

Here's Alabama's Flag (created in 1895). Florida's Flag (created in 1900) is the same, but with their seal in the middle. Both were suggested by former Confederates.

St. Andrew's Cross for reference

And speaking of Texas flags, here's a design during their Revolutionary period that was considered instead of the Zavala Flag

Six pointed stars are definitely useable so long as they don't have colinear edges (i.e. a hexagram) lest it resemble a star of David.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angepain posted:

I just looked at this a bit closer and it seems like everything on there is a country except for the UN and every consistent country of specifically the UK, including loving Jersey, Guernsey and Gibraltar. But not Northern Ireland. Oh and Norfolk Island is included. A lot of choices being made here

It's funny because the person who originally designed it was an American

This is the original 1988 version. Idk if it's still him who was updating it to the current version or others. It's still being touted, I guess, by whoever runs this site http://www.theworldflag.org/

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angepain posted:

public sector construction projects are a great way to kick-start the economy

Otoh, the DoD could stand to have less money given to it for stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Brace for some new possible flags for Mississippi

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1276888075776507905

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vietnam/Philippines is sexy

A Communist Philippine flag would be super sexy as would a Communist (not connected to PRC) Philippines.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiger Crazy posted:

I love the City of Portland flag. The green represents the forest, yellow the agriculture and the blue lines represent the two major rivers (Columbia and Willamette) that run through the city.

There's something about that offset cross...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/CursedMaps/status/1285302032392425474

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.politiscales.net/
As part of the quiz, it generates a flag of sorts for you based on your results

This is mine for example

It is also possible to roll for random results such as

There's only, like a handfull of words under the flags it gives and I've not seen any obvious diametric words other than maybe Humanity/Fatherland

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 21, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Other posted:

Here's what you get if you answer every question with "neutral/hesitant"

3/10 uses text, but restrained in color amounts

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Top left would obviously be The Roman Empire, the bottom Right would be something like the US or Mexico or Australia or something. The Holy Roman Empire would be in the middle or something

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/MDAH_Official/status/1290302273537617925

It's like it was made ofr this thread. Haven't seen a hidden goatse or loss though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There also a few Scotlands mixed in with them (though presumably more as trying to not so subtly attempt to keep the bars in the stars and bars)

There's also this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The Mississippi flag redesign shitshow made me wonder, are most subnational flags just worse than the few ones I know? Fortunately, Wikipedia has a convenient page for that.

I'd say, Russia, Japan, Colombia, Ecuador, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Peru mostly succeed with keeping it simple and stylish. Spain, Germany, Austria and Poland are pretty good too, despite relying more heavily on heraldry.

Sadly, it seems it's more a rule than an exception that subnational flags are way too busy.

Japan really loves its regional identity stuff to an almost obsessive degree. I believe there are government grants for some of that too though which helps. There's also a level of coroporate marketing influence on them which pushes simple stylizations for maximal recognition and reproducibility which is actually a good thing in this case.

They don't just have prefectural flags but also municipal ones. That last link has links to sub pages based on region because pretty much every city and even many towns and villages has its own flag. It almost goes into the other direction of simplicity where it's just a stylish logo centered on a field and seeing all of them together ends up making them extremely bland as a whole.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/wtva9news/status/1298314868752355335?s=20

I dislike both, but I dislike the left one less.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is this what flags will all look like in a hundred years? Airline logos?

Go and look at all of the Japanese regional/city flags. Just all logos on fields.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It's a little odd that the Army Corps of Engineers has a flag, but it's largely just a flag version of their logo except that they've never built anything like that in their history.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/Troy_Johnson/status/1301194560215879687?s=19

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
one of SA's least favorite people made a front page article about flags

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/flags-matter/

(dated July)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Cubelodyte posted:

Why isn’t the Russian flag on this chart? Whatever that is under the Czech flag comes close, but the Russians don’t use any kind of shield-shaped device that I can recall.

All the Tricolors are in one stack since they all have the same color ratio

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Owl good, but I played too much AssCreed Odyseey to not see the Owl as a symbol of Athens.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People in America don't know the tune of the Soviet anthem

Internet shitlords during the Bush admin and extremely online leftists in this decade definitely do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the popular contrarian things to post on 4chan in the 00s was Soviet anything including the Soviet anthem as a troll. Similar to how Nazi stuff would get posted, but I guess seen as less generally offensive or more directly targeting Americans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/DPearsonPHL/status/1633189372290793472

That NAVA flag is way better than Philly's current one

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would hope that Philadelphia can find more symbolic for itself than just the bell.

There are, but the bell is the most identifiable symbolic i think. Idk what kind of symbol one would use for something like the Declaration of Independence which would also be apt.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, just remove the text from the California flag and adjust the bear so that it's bigger and closer to the red stripe at the bottom and it'd be a perfectly cromulent flag.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Now I want a meeting between Indonesia and Poland. Maybe Monaco too, but their flag is apparently square.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Loon is a bit too much like a sports team logo, but I do like the violet, gold and cyan tricolor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

I like 1953 the most but I think the blue on the left should be a little darker, the flag could use a little more contrast

Make it a shade of purple.