Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Libya in particular has had a range of flags over its tumultuous history; no question which of them is my favorite though:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Personally, I kinda like that state flags are awful. It discourages people from developing loyalty to their state rather than their country. It's also a little harder to develop unique symbols in the Americas because the old world is absolutely littered with old coats of arms or symbols for every square inch of land to adopt, while in the new world everything has to be a little ad-hoc.

Maryland's flag is what you get when you try borrowing some old nobility's symbol. I guess it looks kind of okay.

I really like the Maryland flag for all the symmetry and mirroring going on in it. It's very slightly controversial because the red/white portions were adopted by pro-confederates as a symbol during the Civil War era.

Powered Descent posted:

Earth:

By far the best of the various proposed world flag designs, in my opinion. This one dates back to 1970 but it's seen only niche use, mostly among particular types of space nerd.

http://flagofearth.org/ :salute:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The US flag should just be all the state flags together in a quilt, original proportions and sizes intact.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I gotta track down gaddaffi's manifesto.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This would be a good forumswide contest, actually.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That sounds like an idea which is going to backfire horribly but gently caress it. Posting in GBS now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930381

Make sure to contribute!

Thank you- beat me to the punch!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Sicily is good.

Also tricolors and nordic crosses suck and are boring. But I'll more or less forgive the originals, France, Denmark, etc. Also I like the pan-Arab tricolors, especially the ones that are closest to the revolt flag with the triangle on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHDsTbMcm_k

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://www.politiscales.net/en_US/...=79&b0=31&b1=45

Given the trifectas in use I strongly suspect there's some randomization going on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is actually the kind of thing where we might be able to influence the outcome if there's a flag or set of flags we can agree on.

edit:
it's clear that

a) a bunch of schools made an assignment or project out of submitting entries, which I think is great
and
b) some assholes are spamming it with dozens of identical or near-identical flags.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 4, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a little odd that the Army Corps of Engineers has a flag, but it's largely just a flag version of their logo except that they've never built anything like that in their history.

It's apparently based on Pershing Barracks at west point, from when the original version was a pin given to people from there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jehde posted:

Look at this lovely loving flag:

Stolen Valor!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

With DC statehood on the horizon (I hope), what flags are in the running?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I was actually thinking of the national flag.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Flag four kicks rear end. Y'all blind.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's weird is that there are maps of krypton in the comic as well, and none of them match the planet on the flag.

That's not a planet; they just spilled some juice on the flag.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Quorum posted:

Pretty sure it's an attempt to render ICS maritime signal flags using just black and red, but I think they're going for "beat."

Almost certainly followed by "army", then.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Randallteal posted:

Bottom middle is the only one on there that makes me think of Utah (as a non-Utahn). Beehive symbolism is some weird / creepy poo poo tbh. Bottom right looks like a Republican campaign logo.

It's apparently an LDS symbol, so you got it in one. Assuming this BYU article is accurate, nothing creepy about having "the kingdom of god" on a bunch of state seals and flags and poo poo, nope, not at all.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 9, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I’d merge #15 and #18 if possible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The squad patch for the evil avatar team in the new avatar movie.

At least the franchise is consistent in not being remotely subtle in any way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The place I found the most of these flags was an old website last updated in 2008. Godspeed wherever you are old independent website maker. :911:
http://donmac.org/Flags.htm

He's still around, and if the site hasn't been updated it's probably because he'd been managing websites for like half the West coast's US submarine veteran group chapters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Only 312 city flags?

I believe it was public submissions in addition to public voting, hence the clumping at the top and bottom of the distribution; the people who were most motivated to submit were the folks with flags they were proud of, or folks who had something to mock.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Does SA have a flag?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think it would be an appropriate time for a new design.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Flag Nerd Thread: good flags other than Maryland's

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I take it back, let's talk more about how great the Maryland flag is

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

…is there a way we could add old bay to the Maryland flag?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think France really hates regions or localities having any semblance of pride for themselves instead of the nation as a whole, so I think this is deliberately stamping out regional symbols like they try to do with regional dialects.

It's only a matter of time until they ban the famed american flag with bombs instead of stars.

An excellent gang tag option.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

There is never enough mocking of Maryland and it's flag. They take that poo poo way, waaaaay too seriously. If the entire universe was converted into sentient matter purely devoted to mocking Maryland and its flag it would maybe get half way there.

fwiw you, too, could at least attempt to create a flag that's at least a pale imitation of the Maryland flag's greatness. What could be better than a combination of multi-symmetric heraldic patterns arranged in a pleasing color-complementary fashion equivocating confederate and union symbology, capped with an ultimate endorsement of the confederates?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Actually, given its problematic representation, I'm curious how the thread would propose to redesign the Maryland flag to retain its perfect aesthetic and ditch the confederate symbolism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The flag existed long before the confederacy, and it's just the coat of arms of the guy who founded the colony of Maryland, joining the Calvert coat of arms of his father with the Crossland coat of arms of his mother, a common coat of arms practice. During the civil war, the population of Maryland was politically divided, and they just took the flag's twin symbols and split them up, which also happens sometimes. War was over, flag rejoined. That simple.

It's not like Georgia or Arkansas or Six Flags or the Dukes of Hazard. Ditching half the Maryland flag to deal with white supremacists would be like removing the stripes from the US flag to counteract the thin line white supremacists. Does the Isle of Man worry about its flag associating it with Nazis?

...and the symbol's also uniquely the pole topper, as alluded to in my earlier post.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What's going on with the variable dot sizes? braille?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Each state flag is the shape of the state, and will consist of a single field in the color of the state food, containing an image of the state bird and one to three stars, number based on circumstances of admission to the union and placement based on predominant biome. I will be taking no questions at this time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We have a late entry that got lost in filing, and it's sweeping the polls:

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

As we come back around to another election, I am reminded of how much I hate Republican election flags.

I dunno, it works:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Probably not the ones with black in them

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

It could be a layer of chocolate cookie crumble, like an ice cream cake. That can look sorta black.

I can totes see that but chocolate crumble would go very weird with a bunch of these fruit flavors (no pun intended). I think I'd go with bi. The international bear brotherhood flag would be more to my taste, though- I'm boring that way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Why are there shades of gray on the straight pride flag? What could those possibly be?

Insufficient toner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That rules. I wish it were animated to cycle.