Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That sounds like an idea which is going to backfire horribly but gently caress it. Posting in GBS now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930381

Make sure to contribute!

I'd never gone to GBS before and I see now that was a wise decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

It kind of makes me think of one of those overdone political campaign signs you would put in your yard.

That's a good way to put it. The sort of jagged border between the red and blue colours, the date, the star->bird evolution which makes it looks so dynamic.

I agree its not bad, but some of the earlier, simpler designs I think are better.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kennel posted:

Time to post the best of Finnish heraldry again?

I like how the club is the focus of this, while the bear-arm that's holding it is merely incidental.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Also it's not like those "rules" are anything more than guidelines dreamed up by people because they thought they made sense. Flags are an art, and art breaks rules all the time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is sweet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

some cool historical flags of the Roman Empire:

:can:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

There also a few Scotlands mixed in with them (though presumably more as trying to not so subtly attempt to keep the bars in the stars and bars)

There's also this.

This is the best.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

With all this stars and stripes chat I may as well share something I made a while ago.

This is hacked together, nothing is properly centered or aligned

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

You should've put it in the northeast.

Altho probably do it for one, every province is gonna want to have their own unique symbol. Imagine if Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia started wanting their stars to be different because they're commonwealths.

Although come to think of it, I wonder what a footnote flag for all of the US's nonstate divisions would look like.

I thought the top right may suggest superiority, so I didn't want to put it there.

I considered adding in the territories but I couldn't decide on a symbol to represent them. I justify this by noting the US has territories that don't get stars on its flag.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I came across this today:

Not the usual thread fare in that its a flag of an office instead of a place, but still interesting. There's the eagle, a standard american symbol. But perched on a globe, which seems odd for an internal US government position. And then there's a slew of stars scattered about everywhere. 13 total: for the 13 colonies? Its odd to see no attempt at symmetry or organization. The one above the eagle's head looks deliberately offset so as to not be centered. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on the symbolism here.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tsaedje posted:

It's probably just the orientation of the globe on the mace, right?

That would make sense though I can't find an image which clearly shows it. Descriptions of it have the "western hemisphere" or "north america" facing forward, both of which don't completely fit the flag.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What? No they’re not, they use the standard eurocentric layout with Europe in the centre and the Pacific on both edges. I’ve almost never seen a US (or canadian!) map of the world centred on the Americas.

That said, someone not phoneposting should post the US Marine Corps flag that prominently features an eagle mounting the globe

As an outfit made for foreign military adventures the globe makes more sense. Especially with only the Americas visible.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Has anyone determined whether the guy with the Georgian flag (the nation, not the state) was just a moron who bought the first thing he found online for 'Georgia flag,' or if there is some weird Georgian iconography fetishism in the far right?

Leaning heavily towards the former for what should be obvious reasons.

There were a number of other national flags there so it seems less likely, unfortunately.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Is there any chance they'll use a circular design this time around, or is that too much of a stretch?

ie,

Now that's a flag

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BonHair posted:

That's Catholic, not Christian.

I've been assuming that Christian is a generic term that encompasses Catholicism, Orthodox churches as well all the assorted Protestant denominations.

Is this not the case?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Discounting people desperate enough to become refugees, people who successfully emigrate tend to be richer and more right-wing, no? Worldwide.

That said my gf is from Kazakhstan and has a big sickle and hammer tat so at least some immigrants aren't rightists.

Have a cool Kazakh flag

The light blue contrasts badly with the red but otherwise that's a nice one.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Canadian flag flying from a hockey stick is peak :canada:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is the only good one. The rest are really bad.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/obk/status/505721028384129024

Also the new Russian protest flag is getting use in the field from Russian defectors fighting for Ukraine. That might give it some life as a symbol going forward.

What does rebels mean here? Where was this photo taken?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

may I introduce you to everyone I know as a counterpoint.

Sorry we have different life experiences. Lmfaoing forever at my "leftist" friends rocking to the soviet anthem forever tho.

They shouldn't, it was commissioned by a man who committed genocide on my wife's "equal soviet republic." It's a poo poo song that represents russian fascism, not communism.

Here's an actual banger anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKn1uZjHuQ

And if you're wondering about the subtitles: the kazakh language is being transitioned from cyrillic to latin script, completion expected in 2025. Imagine being so poo poo that people deliberately switch alphabets to distance themselves from you. Imagine the amount of disgust kazakh people feel that that would even be an option.

Is the change a popular measure? It must be such a hassle to change alphabets that I have a hard time imagining regular people being onboard, whatever the justification.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also for some balance, here's the triangular flag of Hong's original homeland.

I'd like to know more about this flag

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was grossed out looking at that and only at the end did I notice the huge Q in the middle and got grossed out even more

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That's neat, though I won't vote for a place I don't live.

Here's all of them:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Do you guys play one of the "Flagle" games out there? I've always been into geography but never knew my flags. Now that I play the game every day my knowledge has improved dramatically.

This is the one I play:
https://flagle-game.com/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I used to start with South Africa but then switches to Central African Republic. And yes hard mode is key, just like for the Worldle.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Wrong

Everything should be a tricolore imho, or failing that, some sort of heraldry-inspired flag.

What the French did to their department flags is the greatest sin of all time and - what would you know? It's just text in a lot of cases.

Trademark-rear end loving flag design.

Old flag of drôme:

New:

Old flag of Ain:

New:

Old flag of Gard:

New:

Old flag of Alsace:

New:

I could go on and on until we have them all.

Also, if you're wondering what the numbers are on some of those flags?

Which spot they appear in, alphabetically. Even worse for national pride than just a picture of the borders of your state / department, is using its number in an administrative ledger.

Whoever brought about those changes should be sent to the Hague.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Obviously someone needs to go there and tell them that their economies are being held back by poor branding, and they need to rethink it if they want to remain competitive in this modern world. That means for example creating a unified brand identity for all the Gran Colombian successor states, but ensuring each is still distinct enough that you're not going to confuse them with each other.

:five:

All parts of the world should be divided into regions in which each country shares a unified brand identity but with different flags. Scandinavia, West Africa and Arab nations are already on board but could use some more distinctiveness.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Snowy posted:

The more flags a flag has, the better

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I have a perfect suggestion for US flags: They get updated every ten years with the census, made to match the top three dominant (non-US American) ancestries of the people living there. Minnesota would be English, German, and Norwegian, New York Dominican, Irish and Italian.

The classics, with a twist.

What if the flag of the ancestral homeland no longer exists? eg people from the USSR.

What about a diaspora that doesn't identify with it's nation state of origin? Say Syrian refugees.

What if a flag is updated between censuses? Say Iraq changes it's flag for the nth time, would you wait until the next census to update it? Would you update it at all?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think many people identify as New Soviet people, but if they did, you just pick the flag of the USSR.

Choose a different flag. I think most countries where this might be an issue have alternate historical flags to take inspiration from.

You choose a flag at the time of the census.

I'd like to see what some of these flags look like, especially those with large numbers of non-european immigrants.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Now THAT'S a flag

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Imo the Kyrgyzstan flag is one of the best in the world. It absolutely doesn't need changing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Changing the state flag and seal was the last straw. I have no choice but to become a fascist now.

One exception though: Virginia has a boob on it. They get to keep it, everyone else must change.

And to not just shitpost, here's the most popular united Turkestan flag

This one, unlike so many hypothetical flags, actually is pretty goddam good
Most people don't think Turkey is part of Turkestan as the second image includes, but who knows how far the horde will ride

e: perhaps replace Turkey with the Kökbayraq, flag of East Turkestanthe most indubitably chinese province of Xinjiang, soon to be free of religious extremists

(author's note: do not actually fly this flag in East Turkestan if you value not being arrested)

Is Tajikistan Turkic? I thought they had more Persian in them.

That flag is cool but the star should have a number of points that equals the number of constituent states.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s pretty 50/50 random if people use latin or cyrillic. And of course english existing there’s a lot of qazaq russian english signage

Most people know both alphabets. It’s at the “you choose” level right now. Like I text my sister-in-law in latin and she texts me back in cyrillic. It’s dumb but it works.

There’s also a handful of people that use arabic to write qazaq, and they are consistently the nicest people on earth and will feed you some of the best food on this earth

How... how do you even text with different alphabets? I guess you're switching between different keyboards on your phone to do that? Sounds like a pain.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Honestly I'm pretty tired of the NA vexillological association being treated as the supreme authority on the matter. I've seen a number of outlets over the years basically just reprint their rules and call it a day.

I think their rules are largely good, but there are many exceptions possible. Especially the rule that a child should be able to draw a flag. Kids suck at drawing and this would limit organizations to. All but the simplest flags.

Want bad flags? These are from the annual meetings of NAVA, each of which gets its own custom flag as made by self described experts.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Now *that's* a flag

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Waddle Bourgeoidee posted:

In my estimation, this sentiment is most observable in the former flag of New Mexico, which violates so many standards of flag design that (for my sake and yours) I'd rather not divulge since we'd be here all day if I did. Besides, a picture is certainly worth 1,000 words when it comes to flags, so it would be redundant to continue eviscerating this poor thing anyway. Now, without any further ado, feast your eyes.

I wish this could somehow be made the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Was that during WW1?