Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do wonder what people will think of all these fancy aesthetically pleasing vexillologist-compliant flags in a decade or so, whether they will encourage people to take more pride in their locality and give them more of an identity. Or it could go the other way and maybe if these places put more emphasis in these minimalist flags to be their symbol everywhere, then that could lead to the place having less recognition since the flag won't really be recognized by anyone who doesn't already know (and in that sense, Flags might not be good replacements for other symbology like seals).

Can only speak about Tulsa, but when I went there a few years ago to visit my brother, you could buy hats, stickers, etc with the city flag and/or just the "roundel" with the star and the gold fringe, and you did see a lot of them around. I wonder how much of that is replicable versus how much of that is Tulsa-specfic "we're not as bad as the rest of Oklahoma" (think Austin, TX civic pride similarly) but it's an example of the local identity taking hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EasilyConfused posted:

Oh god, now I want to see this for every state.

Colorado and Wyoming already do this, and those are two of the higher-tier state flags. Pilot program success, let’s roll it out!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Replace the light blue with hot dish and I’m there