Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
and, of course, the real heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

some solid flags here

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Dragonstoned posted:

This is going back a bit but I feel like I need to point out there are multiple reasons the flag didn't get changed

The main one being that the best flag wasn't given as an option...

also, the alternatives are uninspiring dogshit. christ, i keep forgetting how bad the options were. and i'm including red peak in that - "less awful" isn't "good"

this is my favourite writeup on the whole sorry saga. context for the entire rest of the world: john key was the prime minister of the time who decided that nuw zullund needed a new fleg, for god knows what reason

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

quote:

... at the heart of this whole saga was one question that never got answered.

Why?

Without a reason for change, the process was aimless and directionless from the start. There was no movement, no impetus. We weren't reacting to any identity-shattering or identity-defining event. We were choosing the curtains for a house we hadn't built yet. Why? No one really knew.

this really sums it up. no one was excited. no one was passionate. no one really cared. and why should they?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The true insanity to me is that you're ok with changing something as fundamental as your name but not the uninspired flag. Autearoa could do way better than this

nz hasn't changed its name though. and idk, i don't think going from uninspired flag to another uninspired flag because some politician wanted a legacy is really an improvement on the status quo?

john key tried to put the all blacks on our national flag and im glad his attempt failed

god, they're both so dismal

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

middle-tier-retail-store-rear end flag

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

god, that light blue side just hosed up 1953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i'd like to submit, for your consideration, the absolute blandest, saddest flags i have ever seen