Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I'm so glad my 3,000 dollar pro laptop can run SOTR at 1080p on the lowest settings possible at less than 30fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

logikv9 posted:

can't wait to play my favorite ios games with my trackpad

time to load up fortnite and crush mobile players with mkb

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
courage

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, I understand why they want to do it and this whole transition part is inevitable, but still. Yeesh. Not looking forward to the next 2-3 years.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Native container support would break me into using MacOS again. Docker as it currently sits is just awful.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose no one does serious number crunching on Macs, right? Because I can't see these ARM things doing any of that seriously (anything that isn't GPU compute, anyway). There's a reason why Intel and AMD chips are that huge and draw so much power. And it's definitely not the x86 to uOps decoder. That thing being big and power hungry is a dumb myth.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If developers take as long to switch away from intel architecture as they did with the transition to 64 bit this rosetta 2 is going to be on Macs for like 10 years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So..

I'm pretty excited, not going to lie. I don't think anything outside of running my Windows VM is dependant on Intel for me, and if I can get equal performance to what I have now with drastically improved battery life (I would presume) then gently caress it -- sign me up. Looks like my 2019 13 MBP may be my last Intel machine.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Anyone know the name of the intro/exit song?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

nerdrum posted:

I'm so glad my 3,000 dollar pro laptop can run SOTR at 1080p on the lowest settings possible at less than 30fps.

Being able to run it all is pretty impressive.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose no one does serious number crunching on Macs, right? Because I can't see these ARM things doing any of that seriously (anything that isn't GPU compute, anyway). There's a reason why Intel and AMD chips are that huge and draw so much power. And it's definitely not the x86 to uOps decoder. That thing being big and power hungry is a dumb myth.

? AArch64 chips have had various hardware algo encoders/decoders for years now. X86 is just in general slow and dumb.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
From a complete outsider perspective, what does this architecture change open vs x86 or is this just purely apple not wanting to pay intel for chips and not having the ability to purchase an x86 license?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ratbert90 posted:

? AArch64 chips have had various hardware algo encoders/decoders for years now. X86 is just in general slow and dumb.
I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. All the x86 CPUs nowadays are RISC processors (similar sort of poo poo as ARM) with a decoder front-end. And there's plenty of acceleration functions, for both crypto and wide/parallel math.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

maybe they'll sell a Intel Xeon accelerator MPX card for their ARM Mac Pro

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Martytoof posted:

So..

I'm pretty excited, not going to lie. I don't think anything outside of running my Windows VM is dependant on Intel for me, and if I can get equal performance to what I have now with drastically improved battery life (I would presume) then gently caress it -- sign me up. Looks like my 2019 13 MBP may be my last Intel machine.

The introduction of these chips is a lot sooner than I expected, and I probably would've held off a year if I knew. But hey, it'll be fun to sit back and watch and when I eventually switch it'll be nice and mature by then.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

badjohny posted:

Anyone know the name of the intro/exit song?

perhaps the whitest question i've ever seen

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Most people are going to have a Linux server somewhere to do the real computations, but one of the reasons a lot of scientific software devs will use a Mac is because you can easily compile your code/libraries with the same options/scripts to debug and test your poo poo as you go while also having PowerPoint open.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Did I see a widescreen CarPlay display, or is that something that exists now?

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Will Rosetta 2 allow me to run 32-bit software that died in Catalina?

Asking the real questions. (Probably not.)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I would love a low battery consumption ultra portable MacBook as my daily driver and have my desktop PC for heavy lifting.

Bring on ARM.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Honestly I like the idea of moving the notebook lines to ARM and probably the iMac, but I was genuinely hoping they would keep the Mac Pro (and possibly iMac Pro) as x86-based machines, or at least dual product lines. So that part of this all is disappointing but it was inevitable.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So what is this? $2-3k for a very fancy ipad with an attached keyboard?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quote from Tim:

"We have some new Intel Macs coming down the pipeline that we're really excited about!"

-- then resumes heaping praise on Apple Silicon™

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t have it in front of me but wasn’t that almost verbatim what Steve said about PPC during the Intel launch?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Did I see a widescreen CarPlay display, or is that something that exists now?

Asking the real questions. (Probably not.)

It exists now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nerdrum posted:

From a complete outsider perspective, what does this architecture change open vs x86 or is this just purely apple not wanting to pay intel for chips and not having the ability to purchase an x86 license?

Intel's been a mess the past few years. I don't know about the x86 license part. I think it's more of a desire to be able to just scale their already existing chip manufacturing to their mac to cut costs and also be less subject to delays from their chip manufacturing. It's also unfortunately easier to break compatibility when third party support for Mac just isn't that robust of a thing, and kind of at an all time low with so many developers not making the hop to 64 bit. If they bring their apps up and Microsoft and Adobe, then most of their users will be happy. I think part of what made me adopt using Macs was the promise of compatibility, but in truth I booted to windows so rarely that I completely removed bootcamp a few years ago without missing it.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Martytoof posted:

I don’t have it in front of me but wasn’t that almost verbatim what Steve said about PPC during the Intel launch?

Something like that. I just remember being screwed because I bought a G5 right as they announced the Intel transition would take a year or two, and then in a couple of months they started shipping Intel Macs and never looked back.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Being able to run iOS apps on a laptop is really exciting. I love the idea of using apps from iOS that may be better than ones available on OSX, but also the pressure it puts on developers to compile fat binaries for their apps lest they get left behind from iOS apps that are already available.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rick posted:

Intel's been a mess the past few years. I don't know about the x86 license part. I think it's more of a desire to be able to just scale their already existing chip manufacturing to their mac to cut costs and also be less subject to delays from their chip manufacturing. It's also unfortunately easier to break compatibility when third party support for Mac just isn't that robust of a thing, and kind of at an all time low with so many developers not making the hop to 64 bit. If they bring their apps up and Microsoft and Adobe, then most of their users will be happy. I think part of what made me adopt using Macs was the promise of compatibility, but in truth I booted to windows so rarely that I completely removed bootcamp a few years ago without missing it.

The scary part to me is what this means as a developer. I have no idea how homebrew is going to account for a huge architecture change. I imagine it's going to be bumpy as hell for years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The scary part to me is what this means as a developer. I have no idea how homebrew is going to account for a huge architecture change. I imagine it's going to be bumpy as hell for years.

Well, people maintain those ports, it's not really on Homebrew is it?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Well, people maintain those ports, it's not really on Homebrew is it?

I mean it's on apple if they replace a really good developer experience with a subpar one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awful.app is the superior posting platform, and it's coming to our Macs very soon.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

moroboshi posted:

Something like that. I just remember being screwed because I bought a G5 right as they announced the Intel transition would take a year or two, and then in a couple of months they started shipping Intel Macs and never looked back.

I've got a Powermac G5 with a manufacturing date of June 2006 and sometimes I wonder who paid $2500 for it at that point in time.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Homebrew is probably the least difficult part of the whole thing since they build everything from source anyway. Building an existing command-line tool for arm64 is generally completely trivial.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

I've got a Powermac G5 with a manufacturing date of June 2006 and sometimes I wonder who paid $2500 for it at that point in time.

To anything that isn't a small business, a $2500 machine is just a consumable and they'll buy the machine they need now, not the machine they may need next year. Especially desktop stuff to finish projects, etc.

And I mean, Macs tended to be the realm of working creatives so I'd guess there was a good chance it was just a working machine that was bought as what I'd consider a consumable.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

A lot of universities were still using G5-based Power Macs for various applications to at least 2012/2013, so it's not like the money ended up being wasted.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm curious what’s going to happen to the Mac Pro.
Two years doesn’t seem to be a lot of time for ARM SoCs to compete with the raw performance of reasonably up to date workstation hardware, particularly in the GPU department where AMD will keep developing faster chips with TSMC, RDNA2 and beyond.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

eames posted:

I'm curious what’s going to happen to the Mac Pro.
Two years doesn’t seem to be a lot of time for ARM SoCs to compete with the raw performance of reasonably up to date workstation hardware, particularly in the GPU department where AMD will keep developing faster chips with TSMC, RDNA2 and beyond.

I would bet that is one of the last things to move to ARM. Also Apple could still support AMD GPUs in their ARM systems. No technical reason it would not work. Not saying they will, but they could.

There are already ARM based workstations that use the Pro level AMD cards

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15733/ampere-emag-system-a-32core-arm64-workstation

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Personally I’m looking forward to stores like BH Photo and Adorama hopefully running some fire sales of sorts towards the end on the Mac Pro and/or iMac Pro

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Well for awhile Rosetta 2 will supposedly seamlessly kick in and run those homebrew applications for you.
Long term, homebrew is going to have to have x86/arm variants and come up with an intuitive way for you to choose globally and per brew.
This is for all of the "pre-bottled" brews. For stuff you have to compile yourself via brew it won't matter. That stuff is trivially compilable as ARM assuming the author used even the most basic of cross platform code.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Martytoof posted:

So..

Agree, interesting times ahead. Can't wait to get an usb 4, pci express 4 mac with a 5nm chip early next year