Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Pip finally in iOS? It’s about time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kangra posted:

Apple seems to be in the pocket of big pasta.

Dovresti imparare l'italiano. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Finally, mentions is incredibly useful. Also group read notifications

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Apple Maps will no longer lead you off cliffs or into dead ends

or as many as it used to

Apple Maps should add waze features.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jesus the pencil improvements are amazing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Now THOSE are mom pants!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Sleep tracking finally!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

....what?

Detect "squishy" sounds for soap when washing hands?

Uh....

For most people who get excited for Apple Watch features, 30 seconds of squishy noises is about right.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Native container support would break me into using MacOS again. Docker as it currently sits is just awful.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose no one does serious number crunching on Macs, right? Because I can't see these ARM things doing any of that seriously (anything that isn't GPU compute, anyway). There's a reason why Intel and AMD chips are that huge and draw so much power. And it's definitely not the x86 to uOps decoder. That thing being big and power hungry is a dumb myth.

? AArch64 chips have had various hardware algo encoders/decoders for years now. X86 is just in general slow and dumb.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

Well for awhile Rosetta 2 will supposedly seamlessly kick in and run those homebrew applications for you.
Long term, homebrew is going to have to have x86/arm variants and come up with an intuitive way for you to choose globally and per brew.
This is for all of the "pre-bottled" brews. For stuff you have to compile yourself via brew it won't matter. That stuff is trivially compilable as ARM assuming the author used even the most basic of cross platform code.

As an embedded Linux engineer who works on the Yocto and Buildroot projects: lmao. Most developers don’t give two shits about cross compiling compatibility. I have submitted hundreds of patches to various projects to fix cross compiling issues. Including some high profile ones like systemd, glib, and meson.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Did they’d at anything about emulating say, x86 Linux on OS 11 running on ARM?

Why not just use a native arm Linux like Fedora Arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, the transition from PPC to Intel was a cluster because processor speeds and storage tech were improving so rapidly that a 3 year old PPC was positively ancient compared to a Core2Duo or Core2Quad, which is why PPC was cut relatively quickly.

Intel Macs will be supported for at least the next 5 to 8 years after the ARM transition I would imagine.