Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kvlt! posted:

What game has the best planet-glassing? I always get such a kick out of building to the biggest ordninance in 4x games. I remember being a kid and rushing straight to the nukes in Civ.

Sword of the Stars was neat because some weapons had neat effects when hitting a planet. Mass drivers and missles had explosions, big beam cannons left a large glowing line on the surface.
Or you get stealth ships, sneak up and virus bomb the planet, then try to get to the edge of the map to escape. You launched enough bombs, you could see a noticeable decrease in the lights on the planet and number of defense missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Endless Space 2 has both flavours too, the "precision" Planet Cracker and the Obliterator which remotely turns an entire system into rubble.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

thunderspanks posted:

I hate the subscription model personally but since not everybody feels the same I'll mention that if you own the base game, you can pay $10/mo for all access DLC.

Hmm I didint knew it also had that, thanks

I might try but $10/mo is not cheap either

edit: I mean, for comparison, thats about the same price of a netflix subscription in Brazil. To play 1 game, that I already paid for

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 27, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Hmm I didint knew it also had that, thanks

I might try but $10/mo is not cheap either

edit: I mean, for comparison, thats about the same price of a netflix subscription in Brazil. To play 1 game, that I already paid for

It does seem expensive. I think I'm going to subscribe for a month to see if I like it, then cancel and save for the DLCs I want.

With the subscription: can you turn on and off certain DLCs so I can plan which ones I want to buy? Or is it just "Here's the game with all DLCs on?"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

lispy-goon posted:

IIRC, MoO2 has both Death Star-style planet cracking (turned them into asteriod field) and an entire star system destroying-style.

I don't remember there being a system destroying weapon, but there was certainly a system-wide mine field

also MoO2 had the best unit designer, because advancing technology unlocked special traits on existing weapons, and made them smaller/cheaper. There was a reason to keep rushing Physics XI or whatever after exhausting the tech tree, because you could fit more shield-enveloping, armor-piercing, 3x critical damage phasers on your Death Stars

also if you got far enough you could fit the Stellar Converter (Death Ray Laser) on ships smaller than a Death Star

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kvlt! posted:

It does seem expensive. I think I'm going to subscribe for a month to see if I like it, then cancel and save for the DLCs I want.

With the subscription: can you turn on and off certain DLCs so I can plan which ones I want to buy? Or is it just "Here's the game with all DLCs on?"

I checked and for Brazil is actually around $7, which about half the price of most DLCs there

Not cheap but not so bad either, I might give it a try

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Looks like Star Trek: Infinite won't get any more updates: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/star-trek-infinite-dev-log-13-what-you-leave-behind.1629503/

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

How many DLC do you need on Stellaris for the good experience? I have it and I played some a long time ago but it did felt like an incomplete game so I soon got bored of it and havent touched it again since

If you don't want to pay $10 subscription for DLC (I wouldn't!) here's what you're choosing from. Prices are full price, you should NOT buy anything that's not on sale.

Must have:
Utopia [$20] Must-have, adds goals for mid- and end-game, really should be part of base game
Armageddon [$20] Adds death stars, other combat options, but it uncomplicates your genocide
Nemesis [$20] Lets you be the threat that unites the galaxy against you
Ancient Relics [$10] Adds archeology

Nice to have especially if you're playing as the focus:
Megacorp [$20] Start a business
Synthetic Dawn [$10] Play as robots
First Contact [$15] Makes finding new "friends" more interesting
Distant Stars [$10] More anomolies, extra-galactic "L-gates" system

Very optional
Overlord [$20] New vassal options, hyper relays
Galactic Paragons [$20] Special leaders
Leviathans [$10] Space monsters
[insert name here] Species Pack [$10] Each one adds a touch more content for that species

Don't buy
Astral Planes [$20] Less content than any other DLC, at full price? nah.

Basically Stellaris REALLY needs a combined pack with most of the older DLC, but instead they're selling monthly subscriptions to a game you already bought, which is *really* hard to defend. Unfortunately, I really like the game, so I already bought all this stuff. :smith:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Yeah, this was kind of "announced" when the developer laid everyone off last month.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Elias_Maluco posted:

How many DLC do you need on Stellaris for the good experience? I have it and I played some a long time ago but it did felt like an incomplete game so I soon got bored of it and havent touched it again since

Ive been wanting to try it on its current version but not if I have to buy 20 DLCs to have the complete game, too expensive for me now

You can buy all of them and you still won't have a good experience.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lum_ posted:

If you don't want to pay $10 subscription for DLC (I wouldn't!) here's what you're choosing from. Prices are full price, you should NOT buy anything that's not on sale.

Must have:
Utopia [$20] Must-have, adds goals for mid- and end-game, really should be part of base game
Armageddon [$20] Adds death stars, other combat options, but it uncomplicates your genocide
Nemesis [$20] Lets you be the threat that unites the galaxy against you
Ancient Relics [$10] Adds archeology

Nice to have especially if you're playing as the focus:
Megacorp [$20] Start a business
Synthetic Dawn [$10] Play as robots
First Contact [$15] Makes finding new "friends" more interesting
Distant Stars [$10] More anomolies, extra-galactic "L-gates" system

Very optional
Overlord [$20] New vassal options, hyper relays
Galactic Paragons [$20] Special leaders
Leviathans [$10] Space monsters
[insert name here] Species Pack [$10] Each one adds a touch more content for that species

Don't buy
Astral Planes [$20] Less content than any other DLC, at full price? nah.

Basically Stellaris REALLY needs a combined pack with most of the older DLC, but instead they're selling monthly subscriptions to a game you already bought, which is *really* hard to defend. Unfortunately, I really like the game, so I already bought all this stuff. :smith:

Utopia is the only one I got

As for the others, Ancient Relics , Megacorp, First Contact, and maybe Overlord looks cool, but also dont seems such game changers

But I anyway I guess Ill just try playing with what I already own (base game + Utopia) and if I like Ill think about getting DLCs or subscription later

Thank you

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

My biggest problem with Stellaris is that the base game + the must-have DLC is $110, and there is not $110 of game in that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kvlt! posted:

What game has the best planet-glassing? I always get such a kick out of building to the biggest ordninance in 4x games. I remember being a kid and rushing straight to the nukes in Civ.

The Death Star (And DS2, you could have both at the same time!) in Empire at War was fun. Every fight had a timer where it moved into position, and if the other player had Rogue Squadron or IG-88, they could blow it up if not stopped.

If the planet went kablooey, it would be replaced with a minimal income debris field, which was fine as the Empire, as your strength lied in space battles (the Rebels could launch sneak attacks on your planets, bypassing your fleet).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I love Stellaris but as soon as there are no more systems free to colonise then I find I'm absolutely done with the game. Everything after that point seems incredibly dull (I have no DLC, mind)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Amazing how far they've missed their mark. It does some very un-Star Trek things and doesn't stray far enough from Stellaris. I recon they did not playtest this enough, which is kinda surprising, knowing that Paradox does invest some money into game testing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

wiegieman posted:

My biggest problem with Stellaris is that the base game + the must-have DLC is $110, and there is not $110 of game in that.

Yeah like most paradox games you kind of gotta get in on day one and keep riding the train. Every time I think about going back to CK3 I'm reminded that there's probably like $50 in DLC that I don't have

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Mokotow posted:

Amazing how far they've missed their mark. It does some very un-Star Trek things and doesn't stray far enough from Stellaris. I recon they did not playtest this enough, which is kinda surprising, knowing that Paradox does invest some money into game testing.

Somebody involved in the process probably just didn't budget enough. I'm sure the devs and playtesters were well aware that it didn't stray enough from Stellaris, but that was what they had the money and time to make.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Felt like it got shoved out well before it was finished. There was glimmers of an interesting game in there and maybe some insane modder will salvage it down the road, I guess.

But basic things like the fact that the game shipped with generic weapons sounds rather than, y’know, the ones from Star Trek definitely left a “what the gently caress are we even doing here?” impression.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Vizuyos posted:

Somebody involved in the process probably just didn't budget enough. I'm sure the devs and playtesters were well aware that it didn't stray enough from Stellaris, but that was what they had the money and time to make.

problem with saving it through modding is there's already a stellaris star trek mod that is better, so there's really no reason to bother. the game never had a reason to exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just to settle it, a ship/unit designer is absolutely not inherent to a 4x, don’t believe the lies

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Subjunctive posted:

just to settle it, a ship/unit designer is absolutely inherent to a 4x, don’t believe the lies

Agreed

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

don’t gaslight me you little punk

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vampire Panties posted:

I don't remember there being a system destroying weapon, but there was certainly a system-wide mine field
Space Empires IV had a star-destroying, late-game weapon. Just pop open a wormhole (another late-game-only tech) into the enemy's system and make a dive for the sun. Bring an attack fleet and some minesweepers along if they're a human player because they've likely long-since heaped defenses onto the star of any vital system. I vaguely recall mines being buggy in stock, though, so it was too easy to eat up a massive minefield with cheap hulls.

I don't remember if the Dyson sphere with 64-trillion population capacity effectively blocked the use...

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

what about city designers?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Subjunctive posted:

just to settle it, a ship/unit designer is absolutely not inherent to a 4x, don’t believe the lies

It is for me! :)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mayveena posted:

It is for me! :)

youre supposed to NOT believe the lies!!

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

Thanks for correcting me. It's been a long time.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

lispy-goon posted:

Thanks for correcting me. It's been a long time.

To add, you could destroy every planet in a solar system which left it uncolonizable. There was no mechanism to convert asteroid belts into planets without a colony in system. However, a planet needed to be colonized to use the Stellar Converter on it, so I may have committed some war crimes by colonizing a planet, ceding it to an enemy, and then destroying it with the already-orbiting Doom Star

I've played that game a lot

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

what about city designers?

The 4x Predestination had that, and a whole pre spaceflight phase where you slowly expanded across your starting planet. Putting a colony ship in orbit around other planets skipped the scanning for sites part, but little eles. I got it in some sort of charity bundle and it was not quite worth the pennies it worked out to.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

OperaMouse posted:

Distant Worlds. Ask Grey Hunter.

He just gave the perfectly reasonable order:

If any ship attempts to escape the planet, destroy it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Re: Ship designers.

I still have fond memories of the designer in Space Empires V. Mostly because it allowed you to do so much poo poo, it was amazing. Like, the game had no trouble allowing you to miscalculate the amount of ammunition your new artillery tanks would need, and then you got to watch your tanks just losing a ground battle because they ran out of missiles halfway into the fighting. :allears:

Or making mobile shipyards, drone carriers with drones designed for various roles, even loving satellites.

It was also more approachable than Aurora, so you could just set up a nice game and run it without being overwhelmed. Only drawback was, SEV needed some really big constraints set: As soon as you had more than a hundred ships and a couple dozen planets, the UI would start to slow down massively.

Hell, I had games on medium-sized maps that eventually stopped because every time I wanted to look at my fleet window, I could just get up and read an entire goddamn book until the UI finally finished opening it.

A more modern SEV that is not as insane as Aurora, now that would be my ideal 4x.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I missed the Space Empires series completely. There’s probably too much jank to waste time on it today, but this is the age of remasters, rereleases and open source ports so who knows.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Libluini posted:

Re: Ship designers.

I still have fond memories of the designer in Space Empires V. Mostly because it allowed you to do so much poo poo, it was amazing. Like, the game had no trouble allowing you to miscalculate the amount of ammunition your new artillery tanks would need, and then you got to watch your tanks just losing a ground battle because they ran out of missiles halfway into the fighting. :allears:

Or making mobile shipyards, drone carriers with drones designed for various roles, even loving satellites.

It was also more approachable than Aurora, so you could just set up a nice game and run it without being overwhelmed. Only drawback was, SEV needed some really big constraints set: As soon as you had more than a hundred ships and a couple dozen planets, the UI would start to slow down massively.

Hell, I had games on medium-sized maps that eventually stopped because every time I wanted to look at my fleet window, I could just get up and read an entire goddamn book until the UI finally finished opening it.

A more modern SEV that is not as insane as Aurora, now that would be my ideal 4x.

I wish Aurora let me move my entire population and industry onto spaceships later on, I want to be the locust swarm moving across the galaxy and strip mining systems. Just a few added functionalities from being the crisis simulator. Perhaps a GM linter function to delete depleted systems.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think that’s perfectly achievable now, no? With end-game tech surely you can build ships large enough to move your industry and population.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, entirely, but I want to run the factories and labs and population in the ships.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mokotow posted:

I missed the Space Empires series completely. There’s probably too much jank to waste time on it today, but this is the age of remasters, rereleases and open source ports so who knows.
I didn't know whatever became of the developer. Seemed like a largely one-man passion project? IV was the peak for me, but that might be due to it landing in my middle school years where I was willing to ignore the rough edges.

I struggled to get into V, but don't remember my specific complaints beyond it just not seeing like a big step forward :shrug:

When I'm old and have nothing better to do, attempting a fan remake of IV is on my bucket list.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

I think SEV was cursed by coming out just before the modern age of paid DLC arrived. Back then I had just learned what a "patch" is, and for a time, basically any time I went online, there seemed to be a new patch for SEV.

Then it eventually stopped. Apparently the devs went bankrupt, possibly because they spend all their effort on fixing SEV for free, instead of developing new games. :shrug:

Nowadays, a SEVI with a Paradox-style paid DLC stream could potentially live forever.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

Oh, entirely, but I want to run the factories and labs and population in the ships.

That’s a fantastic idea.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

I wish Aurora let me move my entire population and industry onto spaceships later on, I want to be the locust swarm moving across the galaxy and strip mining systems. Just a few added functionalities from being the crisis simulator. Perhaps a GM linter function to delete depleted systems.

SEV came periliously close to this. You could:

-Put mining robots on ships to strip mine asteroids and planets (it slowly lowered the resource value of the mined object, slowly ruining them)
-Create orbital and mobile yards to functionally put all your industry into space
-Ships with cargo space can carry population

But then you still need population to run facilities on planets, or you'll be as weak as a kitten compared to everyone else.

I can't for the life of me remember a space 4x with a fully nomadic faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Gimme a homeworld 4x :pray: