Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

It's also right there in Steam discussions
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1531540/discussions/0/4351114723597718803/

It's also on the website, Discord, official forums and several other places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Demiurge4 posted:

They put the patch notes into a loving .docx you have to download lmao.

I don't mind the download but why not pdf?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Imagine enjoying Distant Worlds 2 and then complaining the patch notes aren't easy enough to look at

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

"Hey heres the new update notes on multiple websites and forums including a download!"

"BUT WHY ISNT IT IN MY FAVORITE FORMAT??"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's funny because it's peak grog and the last thing I expect when I click a steam news link is a download. That's some boomer poo poo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I GET that it's weird and inconvenient but it's also so grog that it wraps around to funny, yes

at least they actually sell the game on Steam now and have also been using the beta channel so I've been able to play with these improvements for the past month+

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't imagine caring what format patch notes come in.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The patch notes should be on a planet you have to discover

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
You should be able to delegate reading the patch notes to the AI

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gave Nexus 5X (formerly Stellaris Nexus) a shot last night.

Firstly, Nexus 5X is a loving dogshit rebrand and a terrible name and while I can see an argument for wanting to position yourself more clearly as a separate game and not just a Stellaris DLC pack, choosing Nexus 5X as your replacement is absolutely baffling.

Anyway, what the game is aiming to be is a short turn based 5X designed around multiplayer play. It’s very board-gamey and in particular its “galactic council / objective scoring systems / control the special planet at the centre of the galaxy for big points” stuff all feels very reminiscent of Twilight Imperium.

You need 100 prestige to win. Prestige is earned in set intervals from a recurring council phase for varying conditions like having the widest spread culture or having the most developed planets, then everyone votes on what the next objective to score should be and a passive bonus that applies to all players. Most objectives can only be scored once, but taking and holding the planet Nexus at the centre of the galaxy generates a sizeable amount of prestige and can be scored every council round.

I just played a game against the AI so I could start understanding the systems and game flow. The map feels small and crowded with six factions which is good, you find yourself rapidly jutting up against opponent borders and forced into conflict for the means to further expand or fulfill victory conditions.

The prestige system forming the win condition means that although you will almost inevitably need some form of military to guard your territory and expand with, militarily dominating your opponents doesn’t really mean poo poo unless you’re positioning yourself to gain prestige off doing so.

I really like the espionage system and definitely want to find a faction that can play around with that. There’s what looks to be a decent variety of factions and they have different Leaders that can tweak their playstyles. What absolutely sucks is your additional faction leaders are locked behind some sort of progression system so if you don’t jive with the first Leader for a faction at the start you’re poo poo out of luck.

Interested to jump into some multiplayer and see how quick the games can run (I’m given to understand there’s generally turn timers). I imagine it’ll get pretty cutthroat pretty quick.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what is the 5th x supposed to mean?

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

extract (money)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

what is the 5th x supposed to mean?

According to the devs it’s “eXpress”, because it plays quick.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chadbear posted:

extract (money)

Lmao

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mode 7 posted:

According to the devs it’s “eXpress”, because it plays quick.

thanks i hate it

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It could be worse- it could stand for Xtreme.

It’d be like the 90s all over again.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I wonder how many X's you can conceivably expand(heh) to before your genre descriptor collapses into total incredulity.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Adding strippers into my 5X strategy game to secure another three Xs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MrTargetPractice posted:

It's also right there in Steam discussions
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1531540/discussions/0/4351114723597718803/

It's also on the website, Discord, official forums and several other places.

it’s very funny that they linked to a download as the first course and not to any of those other locations instead

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I remember MoO3 tried to brand itself as 'the first 5X', I think the 5th X was supposed to be eXperience.

(experience bij)

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
SotS2 was the first true 5x because hooboy were you in for a wild eXperience

Asteroids kidnapping Admirals is still the best bug I've seen to this day

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of which. I know definitions can be fluid and blurry and overlapping and all that... but what makes a game like Stellaris a 4x and not an RTS?

I sometimes think about how many RTS games have all of the 4 X's anyway. The only difference being that 4x's tend to be turn based, but Stellaris (and others I believe) is very much not that, so why did it never get billed as an RTS?

I guess it would feel silly to call it an RTS given that it just doesn't have the kind of unit management and base building that RTSs are known for.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Speaking of which. I know definitions can be fluid and blurry and overlapping and all that... but what makes a game like Stellaris a 4x and not an RTS?

I sometimes think about how many RTS games have all of the 4 X's anyway. The only difference being that 4x's tend to be turn based, but Stellaris (and others I believe) is very much not that, so why did it never get billed as an RTS?

I guess it would feel silly to call it an RTS given that it just doesn't have the kind of unit management and base building that RTSs are known for.

RTS games generally have a very weak "eXpand" and "eXplore" gameplay components, while it's generally the opposite for 4X games.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
4Xs were originally a subgenre of TBS games, which overwhelmingly support a slower pace of play vs RTS games. Even if many of the games in the genre now aren't technically turn based anymore, they're still commonly much slower games to play.

Also, it's not a requirement for 4Xs to give the player fine control over the details of combat engagements (some do, some don't), where practically every RTS game does. Half the 4X's out there have combat that just consists of comparing a number on each side, with a bonus or two allowed for favorable terrain / rock paper scissors matchups and not much else.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Microplastics posted:

Pretty much. RTSs have unit micro, short matches or levels, and control groups. They require quick thinking and reactions. 4Xs have symmetric starts, fog of war, and take several hours. They require analysis and planning.

So where do Kohan: Immortal Sovreigns, Sins of a Solar Empire, Offworld Trading Company, and Total War: Soandso fall? Eh, bit of both. Stellaris is more 4X and less RTS than any of those.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mode 7 posted:

Firstly, Nexus 5X is a loving dogshit rebrand and a terrible name and while I can see an argument for wanting to position yourself more clearly as a separate game and not just a Stellaris DLC pack, choosing Nexus 5X as your replacement is absolutely baffling.

Anyway, what the game is aiming to be is a short turn based 5X designed around multiplayer play. It’s very board-gamey and in particular its “galactic council / objective scoring systems / control the special planet at the centre of the galaxy for big points” stuff all feels very reminiscent of Twilight Imperium.

You need 100 prestige to win. Prestige is earned in set intervals from a recurring council phase for varying conditions like having the widest spread culture or having the most developed planets, then everyone votes on what the next objective to score should be and a passive bonus that applies to all players. Most objectives can only be scored once, but taking and holding the planet Nexus at the centre of the galaxy generates a sizeable amount of prestige and can be scored every council round.

I just played a game against the AI so I could start understanding the systems and game flow. The map feels small and crowded with six factions which is good, you find yourself rapidly jutting up against opponent borders and forced into conflict for the means to further expand or fulfill victory conditions.

The prestige system forming the win condition means that although you will almost inevitably need some form of military to guard your territory and expand with, militarily dominating your opponents doesn’t really mean poo poo unless you’re positioning yourself to gain prestige off doing so.

I really like the espionage system and definitely want to find a faction that can play around with that. There’s what looks to be a decent variety of factions and they have different Leaders that can tweak their playstyles. What absolutely sucks is your additional faction leaders are locked behind some sort of progression system so if you don’t jive with the first Leader for a faction at the start you’re poo poo out of luck.

Interested to jump into some multiplayer and see how quick the games can run (I’m given to understand there’s generally turn timers). I imagine it’ll get pretty cutthroat pretty quick.

Yeah, it's very much a kind of expanded version of Twilight Imperium using a different base mechanic (deck-building instead of role selection).

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

4Xs were originally a subgenre of TBS games, which overwhelmingly support a slower pace of play vs RTS games. Even if many of the games in the genre now aren't technically turn based anymore, they're still commonly much slower games to play.

Also, it's not a requirement for 4Xs to give the player fine control over the details of combat engagements (some do, some don't), where practically every RTS game does. Half the 4X's out there have combat that just consists of comparing a number on each side, with a bonus or two allowed for favorable terrain / rock paper scissors matchups and not much else.

It’s worth noting that one of the most successful and influential RTSes of all time, Age of Empires, is very intentionally a “What if we made Civ but it were an RTS” kind of deal, which makes sense given the director of the game, Bruce Shelley, literally co-created Civilization with Sid. It’s only natural that the success of that series would result in a lot of the design language of 4X games codified by the original Civ to seep into the RTS genre over time. That’s how genre evolution tends to work after all.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I wonder how many X's you can conceivably expand(heh) to before your genre descriptor collapses into total incredulity.

Triple XXX

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
New Paradox game with every X sold as its own individual DLC.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mode 7 posted:

Rats, be the rats! For espionage specifically you really want one of the unlocked ones but any will do.

I'll say that most of the starting leaders are the "core" faction experience. With the unlocked leaders being a weird variant. Most factions have one leader that focuses on military for example.

Amusingly the proud warrior race guys have a leader that specializes in economy. No idea what the maroon deck builder variants are going for.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Wasn’t there a weird 4x game where the X’s were in game artifacts that you had to collect

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Wasn’t there a weird 4x game where the X’s were in game artifacts that you had to collect

MOO3, most definitely a weird game though perhaps not the specific one you're thinking of, did this (they were artifacts of Antaran hypertech that were X-shaped and one of the potential victory conditions was to collect all 5 via expeditions).

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

So there's a big new update for old world or something? Anyone looked at that?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Kevin Bacon posted:

So there's a big new update for old world or something? Anyone looked at that?

There's a new DLC that just got announced due at the end of May, I think? It looks pretty cool.

Also I am still bad at OW, even after all this time, but I still love it. I consistently expand too quickly.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Oh yea that was probably what i heard. Still need to get into that game, maybe I'll check out the dlc when it's out

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Stellaris nexus seemed like twilight imperium almost from the demo I played of it

Why the gently caress did they change the name to total poo poo?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Stellaris nexus seemed like twilight imperium almost from the demo I played of it

Why the gently caress did they change the name to total poo poo?

Lots of customers were confused by the branding. Maybe Paradox has become such negative brand they want to downplay the association? Millenia, a 4X game recently released by Paradox was getting review bombed with most complains calling back to recent Paradox blunders.

Though yeah, I don't think it's a good move.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 23, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Was Millenia review bombed? 67% on Steam seems reasonable to me. Lots of things to like, lots of stuff that needs improving.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Was Millenia review bombed? 67% on Steam seems reasonable to me. Lots of things to like, lots of stuff that needs improving.

It was "mostly negative" in the first few days with lots of people complaining about Paradox's practices.

I dunno, I think "mixed" is unusually low for the kind of low production value, has some interesting ideas type of segmentation Millennia occupies.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

THE BAR posted:

It absolutely was. In addition to the Paradox complaints, there were also lots of people bitching about there not being any multiplayer.